How is the letter "Z" pronounced?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251  Edited By Funkydupe

There's only one way to solve this. Divide into two teams and fight, anything weaponizable that requires three hands to wield is not allowed.

dfsvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#252  Edited By dfsvegas

Who the fuck says Zed? I'm 24, and this is the first time I've ever heard that.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253  Edited By Contrarian

@Redbullet685 said:

I ain't British. Zee.

I am not British or from the UK. Zed. I quite like that rapper Jay-Zed.

mavfan626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254  Edited By mavfan626

Zie

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By Contrarian

@Neurotic said:

@AlexW00d said:

Al-oo-minum? Bah I say.

This. So much. I don't really care about other differences in American English but that one is the worst. Seriously, did you guys misread it or something?

Anyway, 'Zed' since I speak the Queen's.

Actually, Americans spell it differently, therefore the sound difference - aluminum as opposed to aluminium.

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

It Dragon Ball Zee not zed.

No it isn't, it is Dragonball Ball Zed. Even the announcers on our television stations say Dragon Ball Zed.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@Contrarian said:

@Redbullet685 said:

I ain't British. Zee.

Do people actually call him this?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257  Edited By MrKlorox
@PeasantAbuse said:

@Contrarian said:

@Redbullet685 said:

I ain't British. Zee.

Yeah, is this Poe's law? Or are some people actually this silly?

@mandude
What you describe are called potato wedges in the US. Fries are slender and usually rectangular due to being cut in grid fashion.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#258  Edited By BeachThunder
mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By mandude

@Contrarian said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

No it isn't, it is Dragonball Ball Zed. Even the announcers on our television stations say Dragon Ball Zed.

This. The Japanified English is Doragon Bōru Zetto, anyway.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#260  Edited By TehFlan

By the rules of democracy, "Zee" is the correct pronunciation on the Giant Bomb forums. That is all.

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By ekajarmstro

I'm from Canada but I say Zee, otherwise the alphabet doesn't rhyme, which is completely unacceptable.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#262  Edited By SeriouslyNow
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By MrKlorox
@mandude said:

@Contrarian said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

According to your localization studio perhaps. But since it was translated into English for North American consumption first, the "zed" was a later adaptation for your country.
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#264  Edited By Captain_Insano

Zed. As an Australian we say things correctly as well.

Also, Tarantino is aware of the reality of pronunciation:

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By Contrarian

@PeasantAbuse said:

@Contrarian said:

@Redbullet685 said:

I ain't British. Zee.

If they hadn't heard of him, yes. Before I became familiar with his work and just saw his name, I would say Jay-Zed. Now I am familiar with him, I say Jay-Zee. We see a Z we say Zed. Our bank is ANZ - ANZed. We have a hip-hop band called TZU - it is pronounced TZedU (although I assumed it was meant to sound as Tease You). We like the Zeb-ra at the zoo. Zee does creep in due to the extensive American cultural colonialism - television and movies. We have to consciously remind our nation's children that Sesame Street is American and we don't say Zee.

@MrKlorox said:

@mandude said:

@Contrarian said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

According to your localization studio perhaps. But since it was translated into English for North American consumption first, the "zed" was a later adaptation for your country.

Exactly. So much is catered for the American audience. That is where the money is.

Also, Day/Month/Year IS THE CORRECT WAY TO WRITE A DATE.

I remember on a plane trip back from the USA on Qantas and a American was complaining about the date on his paperwork being back to front. The attendant bluntly told him that, "no, only America writes it that way". So, it was 11/9, not 9/11.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#266  Edited By bibamatt

Zed because I'm British and I speak English. If I was American, I'd speak American English and say Zee.

But more annoying. MUCH MORE ANNOYING. Are people who berate the Americans for saying 'al-oo-minum' as if they've read it wrong. The way Americans say Aluminium reflects the way they spell it. Outside the US, it's spelt ALUMINIUM and pronounced al-u-min-i-um. The Americans don't spell it this way, never mind saying that. They spell it al-u-min-um. Thus how they pronounce it. Seriously, fellow Brits. Language is forever evolving and changing. Always has.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#267  Edited By mazik765

Zed.

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268  Edited By PDXSonic

Zee. It sounds like one letter rather than a word with Zed.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By mandude

@MrKlorox said:

@mandude said:

@Contrarian said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

"Zed" was no more an adaptation than was "Zee", given that the letter is present even in the full Japanese title where the pronunciation is "Zetto". It could be argued either way, but I think the Japanese pronunciation is more in line with non American pronunciations.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By MrKlorox
@Contrarian: But 11/9 wouldn't be a double entendre. In the US we dial 911 on the phone for emergencies. That's why they just called it nine-eleven instead of giving it a proper title. I'm of the belief that months should be written and abbreviated with three or four letters.
Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im Canadian but I still say Zee

rb_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By rb_man

@Redbullet685 said:

I ain't British. Zee.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Captain_Insano said:

Zed. As an Australian we say things correctly as well.

Also, Tarantino is aware of the reality of pronunciation:

Yo, tarantino wuz awur dat ZED was DEAD & dat ZEE wuz hur 2 take da throne. Namsayin' b? Maybz if u jst let us 'muricans handl da way our langauge is ritten u can see its more convenent to type n spell.

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274  Edited By LeYcH

Z.

I say zee even though I'm from the UK. Am I weird?

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#275  Edited By ThePickle

@bibamatt said:

Zed because I'm British and I speak English. If I was American, I'd speak American English and say Zee.

But more annoying. MUCH MORE ANNOYING. Are people who berate the Americans for saying 'al-oo-minum' as if they've read it wrong. The way Americans say Aluminium reflects the way they spell it. Outside the US, it's spelt ALUMINIUM and pronounced al-u-min-i-um. The Americans don't spell it this way, never mind saying that. They spell it al-u-min-um. Thus how they pronounce it. Seriously, fellow Brits. Language is forever evolving and changing. Always has.

Finally, a sane Brit in this thread. Kudos to you sir.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

All we've learned here is that British people can be pricks if you don't pronounce a word like they do.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277  Edited By mandude

@PrivateIronTFU said:

All we've learned here is that British people can be pricks if you don't pronounce a word like they do.

And that others can make sweeping and unfair generalisations? No. I don't think we've learned either of those things.

Storphrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278  Edited By Storphrax

@Pr1mus: To be fair "Nucular" is frowned upon in the US

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279  Edited By napalm

@DougQuaid said:

@Milkman said:

Who the fuck says Zed?

People from the UK.

Why?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By MrKlorox
@mandude said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

And that others can make sweeping and unfair generalisations? No. I don't think we've learned either of those things.

You're right. Just because the person who started it way back on the first page happened to be British, it doesn't make it right to fight fire with fire. That particular guy, who has been quoted throughout this thread, might be a prick and a bigot, but it's equally wrong to attribute it to his country or imply that all others near him agree with his shallow and narrow mind.
djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#281  Edited By djstyles92

Zee of course!

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@MrKlorox said:

@mandude said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

You're right. Just because the person who started it way back on the first page happened to be British, it doesn't make it right to fight fire with fire. That particular guy, who has been quoted throughout this thread, might be a prick and a bigot, but it's equally wrong to attribute it to his country or imply that all others near him agree with his shallow and narrow mind.

Calm down. It wasn't intended as a super-serious statement against British people.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By Contrarian

@LeYcH said:

Z.

I say zee even though I'm from the UK. Am I weird?

No. You are just a traitor and a heretic.

tangelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284  Edited By tangelo

colour, color

theater, theatre

aluminium, aluminum

zee, zed

american vs. british english

arguing is pointless, both are always correct in the literary world; just be consistent with usage.

I say Zee, cuz I'm 'merican and saying zee rhymes in my alphabet song :3

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#285  Edited By Cathryn
bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286  Edited By bibamatt

@Pr1mus said:

@bibamatt said:

What about those that say "nucular" or "kearnel" aka Colonel... Al-oo-minum is fine but there's still plenty of english butchering going on.

But it's not butchering. It's American English. The English language has always been changing. Christ, if you trace it back, it's made up of bits from all sorts of other languages. We Brits say all sorts of things differently to how they did a few hundred years ago. One of the reasons we have different languages and dialects all over the world is because they constantly change and evolve. If something is used by an entire nation as standard, how can it be wrong? It's suddenly just the way it is.

That's not to say I don't cringe every time I hear 'herb' without the 'h' ('erb) and wince every time I hear d'TAIL instead of DEEtail. But that's just me being weird. I would never say it's butchery or wrong. American English is it's own beast.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287  Edited By bibamatt

The Oxford English Dictionary gives an amazing, impartial reason as to why we say Zed in the UK, as well as information as to where 'zee' comes from.

The name given to the letter in England (presumably since the Norman Conquest) has been ZED, q.v., or one of its variants, ZAD, ZARD, IZZARD, EZOD, UZZARD. With the disyllabic forms, which survive dialectally, cf. F. edez, ? for ezed (Coyfurelly, 14th cent.), ézed (Claude de Saint-Lien, 1580), Prov. izedo, Cat. idzeta, app. from pop.L. *idzeta, a. Gr. {zeta}{ghfrown}{tau}{alpha}. The name ZEE, now standard in the United States of America, appears to have had some early currency in England.

In 1605 (not long before the time the Pilgrim Fathers were setting forth), Shakespeare wrote: "Thou whoreson Zed, thou vnnecessary letter." (Lear II. ii. 69). But of course, he did not come from the West Country where many of the first settlers came from. In 1755 Samuel Johnson wrote in his dictionary: "zed, more commonly izzard or uzzard, that is, shard." But by 1817 one authority wrote: "Children ... often call this letter Izard... They should be taught to pronounce it Zed". Meanwhile in the States, Longmans' magazine says: "The name ...given to the last letter of the alphabet ... in New England is always zee; in the South it is zed." (1882). The earliest the OED quotes for 'zee' is 1677, and of course, it is the form preferred by the influential Webster.
kogasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288  Edited By kogasu

said:

That's not to say I don't cringe every time I hear 'herb' without the 'h' ('erb) and wince every time I hear d'TAIL instead of DEEtail. But that's just me being weird. I would never say it's butchery or wrong. American English is it's own beast.

What the hell ? I had no idea it was actually ok to say herb and pronounce the 'h', I mean, I'm the opposite, I always cringe when I hear the 'h' but I guess, since it's ok, I can stop doing that now heh. My life is all a lie...

As for answering the thread, I say Zee just because that's just how I learned it.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#289  Edited By GS_Dan

I done eated an erb

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#290  Edited By imhungry

Most definitely 'Zed', and I'm Asian.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291  Edited By DAFTPUNK

Zed doesn't matter what country your from!

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292  Edited By time allen

Z

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293  Edited By Gargantuan

I couldn't care less about zee vs zed. What I COULD care less about is people saying "I could care less" and thinking it means they don't care at all. It means the opposite of that for fucks sake.

I'll let David Mitchell explain.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#294  Edited By BionicMonster

I seriously thought that the Nissan 370 Zed was a completely different car for a few minutes on Top Gear.

SquigglyElf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295  Edited By SquigglyElf

I'm Canadian so I'm supposed to say Zed, but I say Zee anyway and get ridiculed by all my peers.

No big deal. The Americans will probably commandeer Canada in a few years anyways, then they'll be the ones who are weird and I can make fun of them.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@bibamatt said:

I'm always baffled about how much Britons fixate on the American pronunciation of "herb". Think about how do you pronounce the word "hour". It's the same principle.

redzavod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297  Edited By redzavod

I am not British, but I prefer

Zed.

And on that topic, I also prefer Heych instead of Eych for H.

LETTERS!