#1 Posted by ThatIndianGuy7116 (253 posts) -

I've wanted to start doing video game commentaries for a while just kind of as a thing to do for fun. I've had my eye on this for a while, but I've been afraid to get it do to the fact that I'm not sure how reliable it is. People usually give good answers here and are very helpful so I thought I'd ask you guys.

1. Do you need a high end computer to run this or will this work on pretty much anything? I'm not sure about the specs on my laptop, but it's not the highest quality laptop.

2. Is the standard one good to use if I'm planning on just recording game play and then possibly recording commentary later on or should I just spend the extra cash on the HD Pro?

3. Are there any other devices or methods or capturing game play that would be good for a beginner or is this probably going to be my best bet? I don't want to invest too much money into this, but I'm willing to spend up to $200.

Thanks to any answers! I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this.

#2 Edited by StarvingGamer (7998 posts) -

If you're looking for something a little better, I'd recommend the Hauppauge HD PVR 2. I've been eyeing one for a while but haven't been able to justify the expense because I A) don't have money and B) don't have time to make videos. Here are the system req's:

Roxio Game Capture HD Pro

• Microsoft Windows 7, Vista SP2, XP (SP3 for 32 bit and SP2 for 64 bit)
  • Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon x2 64 2.0 GHz
  • 2GB RAM
  • DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics card or higher
  • Sound card
  • 2GB free hard drive space for installation (10+ GB free recommended for video recording)
  • One available USB 2.0 port
  • Windows Media Player 11 or higher
  • Internet Explorer 7 or 8

Hauppauge HD PVR 2

• Laptop or desktop PC with 3.0 GHz single core or 2.0 GHz multi-core processor
  • Microsoft® Windows® 8, 7 or Vista (32 or 64-bit), or Windows XP Service Pack 3
  • TV set with HDMI input
  • 512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended)
  • Graphics card with 256 MB memory
  • Sound card
  • 220 MB free hard disk space

Also here are a few videos I did with the regular Roxio. It's serviceable.

EDIT: And be mindful of those req's. When I first started using the Game Capture on my shitty old PC last year, I had a lot of issues with the video and audio falling out of sync with each other and speeding up / slowing down if I tried to capture footage for more than 15 minutes.

#3 Edited by mwng (921 posts) -

1. I doubt you'd need a high end PC to edit the video footage using the software provided, but it'd probably speed things up. I'd suggest looking up the specs of your laptop and cross checking them with the software that comes with the capture box thingy though.

2. I used the standard component one to capture the videos located in my "blog" if you're looking for an idea of capture quality. If you're after higher quality for whatever reason, go for the HD Pro one I suppose, though if you're recording from a PS3, I think there are some hoops you have to jump through to get it to record via HDMI.

3. There are cheaper composite devices for capture, but quality seems proportionate to price. The Roxio capture thingy is pretty beginner friendly as capture goes, though you're probably paying a little extra for the convenience.

#4 Posted by csl316 (8108 posts) -

The Roxio is good enough if you're just messing around. Youtube people might bitch that the quality isn't as good as the best videos but that's the internet for ya.

The PVR mentioned above is rock solid, though. My buddy used it all the time with good results.

#5 Edited by ThatIndianGuy7116 (253 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

EDIT: And be mindful of those req's. When I first started using the Game Capture on my shitty old PC last year, I had a lot of issues with the video and audio falling out of sync with each other and speeding up / slowing down if I tried to capture footage for more than 15 minutes.

Thanks for that warning! Here are the specs for what I have: http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook/2009/acer/aspire/Aspire5732Z/Aspire5732Zsp2.shtml

Should I upgrade or will I probably be okay? I looked at it myself and I think I'm ok, but I just want to make sure it's all good.

#6 Posted by StarvingGamer (7998 posts) -

@ThatIndianGuy7116: It seems like you'll be fine, although I have no experience with dynamic video memory so I don't know how well that will get along with any of the devices. Also you're cutting it pretty close with your CPU.

#7 Edited by SomeJerk (3143 posts) -

HD PVR 2 and other units that encode in the box work wonders with slow computers, taking barely anything from CPU performance, but do require some extra work and equipment  if you want to stream or record commentary live but it's no $100+ deal.  From the specs on your laptop OP, it'll handle the HD PVR 2 well.

#8 Posted by ThatIndianGuy7116 (253 posts) -

@StarvingGamer: alright, thank you very much!

#9 Posted by ThatIndianGuy7116 (253 posts) -

@SomeJerk: Thank you for the input!