• 51 results
Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Poll How long does your commute take? (207 votes)

I live at work/school housing/dorm 6%
I'm a telecommuter/distance learner 1%
Less than a minute 1%
Less than 5 minutes 1%
Between 5-10 minutes 15%
Between 11-20 minutes 18%
Between 20-40 minutes 28%
About an hour 19%
Over an hour 10%

As opposed to the train-and-bus commute I was used to, I started driving to work today and now I'm realizing that even if I'm driving and not switching between a train and a bus, my over-an-hour commute still takes just about an hour on car as well. Kind of a bummer, I'll need to really start finding more music/podcasts to listen to.

That aside: how long is the average GB user commute to school or work? This may or may not help motivate me to apply for higher paying jobs far closer than where I work now.

• 
Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

20 minutes from my garage to my desk which generally includes a stop at McDonalds for a crappy iced coffee.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By csl316

An hour at the low end, hour 45 at the high end. One way time.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

By car? I had my first about-an-hour commute drive today and I'm not sure if I'd be able to keep up with it (granted, the route is kinda complicated given my state's road weirdness so it might just be a matter of me getting used to it), does it ever get boring or exhausting in the long term?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Assuming that my bus is on time, it typically takes me an average of about half an hour to get to the office.

crimsinf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have a 7 mile commute that takes about 50 minutes from door to desk via public transportation. Turns out if I drove I could make it to work in about 20 minutes each morning, but it could take well over an hour to get home on most days. DC traffic is awful. The only thing keeping me from seriously considering driving is the fact that my office pays for my Metro fare.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

25 minute bike commute down, 30 minute bike ride up. It's great; covers my exercise for the day and wakes me up in the morning. It'll kill me someday (and someone will dig up this thread and laugh), but for the moment, it's great.

PatODay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

45 Minutes to an hour plus depending on if I want to take toll roads or avoid tolls. I can't wait to move in the fall and live a 20 minute bike ride from work.

studsmckewl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's really dumb. If there is no traffic it will take me exactly 28 minutes. Depending on traffic though, it's taken me as long as 50 minutes. It seems like if I leave just 5 minutes later I'll hit a metric ton of traffic that adds 15 minutes to the trip.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a subway station in the basement of my building. Work is only 2 stops later and a 5 minute walk from there

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

By car it takes me 10-15 minutes to get to work. I do drive past a mall, however, so some holidays will make it a 20 minute drive. During the Christmas shopping season I take a completely different route that adds 5 minutes to my drive, but avoids the mall where I would be stuck in traffic for an extra 15-20 minutes.

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5 minutes by bike, 10 minutes by feet.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Driving it normally takes 15-20 minutes, but in consideration of traffic I give myself 30 minutes to get there and normally have some time to hang out before work.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HerbieBug

15-20 drive. This is the easiest commute I have ever had. I love it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

By car? I had my first about-an-hour commute drive today and I'm not sure if I'd be able to keep up with it (granted, the route is kinda complicated given my state's road weirdness so it might just be a matter of me getting used to it), does it ever get boring or exhausting in the long term?

Oh, it absolutely gets exhausting and frustrating. It will wear on you over time. I've been doing it since... December 2011. Your ability to keep at it depends on how much you enjoy your work environment. And if you like driving. I spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic, but I really enjoy the moments where I get to cruise (holiday weeks when the roads are clear and it somehow takes 40 minutes are bliss).

Luckily, I don't work weekends and have very little responsibility these days so I can deal. I exercise regularly to keep myself fairly energetic (I find time by having Giant Bomb videos going while I workout at home). I also don't sleep much during the workweek so I can still do whatever I want to do. I'm good at my job and I work with good people. If my job sucked I would've quit a long time ago because of the commute. I just started my first vacation in 9 months, so a week ago I was completely beat.

A good mix of podcasts and music helps the time go by. But I know I can't keep doing this forever. I'm in Chicago so snow days are always adventures, too (a RWD Mustang makes it super fun).

Basically, if I write it down and think about it too much... it's not ideal.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It takes about an hour to get to school, I'm in the suburbs and I have to get downtown. A bus, a train, and a bit of a walk. It's not bad, I've had worse. I thought the scale of this poll was a little wonky, thinking there would be a lot more longer commutes. But I guess you nailed it if 25% are at about an hour and only 6% are over that.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

About half an hour by car. Used to be an hour, back when I still lived with my parents. But it's worth it to live in the suburbs for a variety of reasons, not the least of which being it's a lot cheaper to own a house where I am.

A single episode of My Brother, My Brother and Me gets me to work and back on Tuesdays, then the weekly Bombcast usually gets me through the rest of the week (I don't work on Mondays and I work from home on Saturdays). I have episodes of Sawbones and Judge John Hodgman on my iPod in case the other podcasts fail me for any reason, and I have episodes of Star Talk Radio in a "break glass in case of emergency" situation.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sargus said:

About half an hour by car. Used to be an hour, back when I still lived with my parents. But it's worth it to live in the suburbs for a variety of reasons, not the least of which being it's a lot cheaper to own a house where I am.

Same, I drive through the city but wouldn't want to live there.

Krevee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Depends on my method of transportation that day. A few days out of the week I drive and that is a 10-15 minute commute depending on how many lights I hit. If I bike its about 15-20 minutes but I generally get to work early when I do that so I can change/cool down. And if take public transportation its 30-45 depending on how the bus in running that day.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It's almost always over an hour, at most at one point it was an hour+45.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Around 10 minutes driving, would be 20ish for school on the bus and 30ish for work. I took the bus to school last year and I couldn't stand it, wasn't the time but just not being being in an active state. I would read or do some quick studying but I still found it annoying compared to being able to be in a more active role when driving myself.

mjk0104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hour and a half usually, train delays can bump it up to 2 hours.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I really can't wrap my head around the idea of commuting for over an hour just to go work somewhere. Sounds crazy.

blueneurosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By blueneurosis

I work in lower Manhattan and use the 1/2/3 trains to get back up to Harlem. On a good day, I can get downtown in about 30-40 minutes. Unfortunately, I work mainly nights, so that means the train schedule is sluggish, but it's a good excuse to use the downtime to catch up on podcasts. Every once in a while I'll work a gig that will pay me back for cab rides, and then it's something like a dreamy 15 minutes driving up along the Hudson river.

I do enjoy using the Citibikes (rentable, heavy bikes) to get around, and can make it to 59th street in about 20 minutes. If they had parking stations for them further uptown, I would definitely use them as my main commuting method. Biking in the early morning is pretty fun.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Around 40 minutes by metro and bus to my job. Only 15 minutes by tram or bike to my school.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By fattony12000

I walk to work. It doesn't take that long.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Around 2 hours.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

My work brings me to different ports. The one I typically go to is about an hour and 20 minutes away. If they get busy in the city they'll station me there and the port is 10 to 15 minutes away.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

About an hour, both home > work and work > home. Mostly by train, but just this week I switched to taking the bus. It takes me around the same as before, but it's more confortable... and I've been taking the train for a year and a half. New things to see each and every morning is a welcome change.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By amafi

About an hour either by bus or bike, depending on the weather. Looking to relocate closer to work, but no lack of travel time would make me want to rent a place and the places up for sale are a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Stete

Lets see, 5 min walk, 20 min train ride, 5 minute walk again, 5 minute train ride, 10 minute walk so it's 45 minutes altogether, which I guess it's pretty acceptable for London standards. On the way back I usually take more time to catch a later train so I can get a seat.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vuud

This is the future, man. I do all my eCommerce through eBusiness webinars. And I exploit the SHIT out of my core competencies.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

20 minutes by car, in traffic.

Bike commuting would be cool, but sadly I am canadian and my city is gripped in ice for four months of the year.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I leave at about 930PM and get to work around 1020PM, though it can go way over depending on how my train goes as I have a four minutes to go from that to a bus, and it's often late so I'll have to go to another train station and wait it out, making the commute around 75 minutes.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Around 15-20 minutes. I basically turn left out of my driveway, and then left again into the parking lot at work. Traffic is usually not terrible, but there's quite a few red lights that can really slow things down.

Karthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I went from an 1hr 45m to 2h one-way commute, to a 45m one-way commute, to working from home. I miss the office, but I do not miss having to get there.

helvetica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It takes me 20-25 minutes by car if traffic is good, but it can stretch into 45 if the traffic is poor. Worse in the winter. I would like to live closer to work, but the housing prices are not making that too feasible.

I read somewhere that the ideal commute time is 16 minutes. That seems short to me, but if I had a 16 commute I would be pretty happy!

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I live four blocks from work but it's up a steep hill so when I walk it takes about 7-9 minutes. If I ride my bike it takes about two.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

15 minute walk 5 minute subway trip. I refuse to move outside of the city.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

When I was still in school it took me 45 minutes to get there then around and hour to get home thanks to rush hour traffic. When I'm going to work my commute is less then 5 minuets as my job is just across the highway from where I live.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depending on traffic, about half an hour by car. It's a pleasant drive though when it's clear, so I don't mind it at all.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About 15 minutes. I live 5 miles from my work.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Teoball

About 10 minutes by car. I leave for work at 5:45 every morning and I don't really feel like walking or biking that early.

effache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

7 minutes to the F train, 15 minutes to go 6 stops, 7 minutes to walk to the office

Total of almost exactly 30 minutes

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Takes right at 40 minutes currently via bus. Driving is about 20.

_k1_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

30 minutes door to door on the subway.

I'm thinking about moving back to Manhattan though where I'd be closer.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

This is why we need robot cars. Most traffic and accidents occur because of people driving too slowly in the left lane...there are studies. The other issue is people not exiting driving in the right lane causing people entering teh road to either speed up or slow down to avoid idiots who could be in the middle or left lane.

Once you take people out of the seat and let dozens of cars coordinate movement and not rubber neck you solve dozens of problems.
- Police no long have to give tickets...we are all going a safe yet faster speed and lightening quick reactions mean cars can go faster still.
- Accidents and vehicle fatalities are decrease making our roads safer, and reduces trama care
- Road rage is decreased because stressed people no longer need to be stressed.
- Fuel economy is increased because all vehicles are allowed to travel at maximum efficiency...and all cars can draft..and with the use of fins and wings can allow cars of different sizes in front or behind to draft by diverting airflow specially for the car behind
- Nobody rubber necks that accident or stopped car.
- Cars merge lanes at speed without any slow down, and cars exist or enter the highway at speed safely.
- Intelligent traffic control can manage too many cars entering ahead by reducing the speed of cars miles by just 3 mph away allowing any jams that do occur from getting worse. The 'ball game' letting out no longer causes issues because traffic is diverted or released in a manner so that game fans and people just traveling all get to where they want to be faster.
- Assholes on motorcycles no longer do unexpected things next to cars....assholes in cars no long squeeze motorcycles against the guard rail.
- We are all free to pull down our pants, and 'moon' people safely. Safe Mooning....isn't technology great!!!!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Since I start about an hour before rush hour, driving to work takes about 8 minutes (since where I live, when it isn't rush hour, you can get practically anywhere in the city in 15-20 minutes). When I drive home, there is a lot more traffic so it takes about 20-25, depending on if I hit a lot of red lights or not.

If I took public transit, it would take on the order of 2 hours. I don't use this option obviously.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta say, I do miss my 4 minute drive.

embryonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live at Uni so it's about a 2 minute walk. My punctuality is still terrible, though.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

If I catch my trains when I arrive I can be home from the city in about 25 to 30 mins. I'm only 3 stops away from the last stop off the L train so sometimes go the other way until I hit the end of the line on the train so I can have a longer ride back home, lets me finish a podcast or read a few more pages in my book.