How many of you play Magic : The Gathering?

• 51 results
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Fallen189

Hey guys.

Basically what the thread reads! I'd love to get to know some people who like playing MTG, even if it's just to help with deck ideas, talk about Avacyn, or just make new friends with similar interests!!

I've not been playing long, but I'm running a Red/Black Vampire Enchant deck with a couple of fat instants for getting out of tight spots.It's less than perfect ( I could use a couple more Stromkirk Captains and maybe a browbeat...) but it runs functionally!

Let's talk!

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By dbz1995

I started around a month ago-played Yu-Gi-Oh for ages and since my friends decided to go the MTG route I decided to half-heartedly follow. Blue/Black deck right now. Vampire Enchant sounds pretty cool though-what does it entail? 

SuBsTaNcE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SuBsTaNcE

As an introduction to the game and learning what the abilities do you can't go wrong with MTG 2012 on steam, The decks are all pre-made so you lose the customisation but for just learning the game you can't get better, I think you're on my steam friends somewhere so if you do have it send me an invite for a couple of games,

After that your best bet is to progress onto MTG:O It's $10 to start an account but you get a lot of starter cards to learn how the system works, It's the closest thing to playing IRL, you can trade and buy single cards or buy booster packs (nobody does this though, just find single cards you want and buy them)

If you want to play IRL you can't go wrong with a current fat pack, when starting my collection I bought 2 fat packs, 1 from the current core set and 1 from the most recent expansion and a deck builders toolkit, between the 3 I had enough to build a few solid decks,

I've been playing for a few years now but I barely get the time to play IRL any more, but I still play online pretty frequently, so get hold of me on steam or mtg:o if you want a game

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fallen189

@dbz1995 said:

I started around a month ago-played Yu-Gi-Oh for ages and since my friends decided to go the MTG route I decided to half-heartedly follow. Blue/Black deck right now. Vampire Enchant sounds pretty cool though-what does it entail?

It revolves around getting quite a few mountains out early so I can sustain, then getting out things like Erdwal Ripper, Stromkirk Captain, then powering to Nearheath. Basically, the synergy in my current deck is that almost 80% of the cards buff each other with 1/1 or something to that effect. I have a few instant/enchants that grant things like 2/2 and 2/0 First strike.

This is a big player in my deck. Then the big damage is Fling, which lets me sacrifice the creature and dealing the power cost directly to a targets life. So I'm sure you can imagine what it's like when I come at with a 2/2 buffed nearheart, with a passive 1/1 from Stromkirk for standard damage, then flinging it for like 15/16 damage in one go :D

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mandude

I don't play as often as I'd like to, since moving, but I run a Green, White, Red enchantment deck. It's full of really cheap creatures and cheap enchantments made to build stuff up. Comboes like Tangle Aspand Lure help me keep the enemy at bay, while I have about 8 Magemark cards which simultaneously build up everything I have in play. By the time any decent game picks up, I usually have about five 8/8 creatures or so, all with first strike and +4/4 for each creature attacking them.

I have 4 Spikeshot Goblins which let me just tap and kill if they get built up.

This guy is the only real expensive card in the deck, but he's usually always well worth it.

Cool to see someone else playing an enchantment deck. :D

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By egg

I used to play heavily but not anymore, so unfortunately there is not much for me to add.

Coincidentally Marvel TCG for PSP is what I'm currently playing. I just started puzzle mode in it. Also since quitting MtG I got into Pokemon TCGO but quit that too. Dunno why I mention all this except to say I think TCG's generally all are good. (though MtG will always be ''the'' TCG for me since it was my first and the one that I got the most involved in, by far)

Also since quitting MtG I at one point randomly bought Planechase (all 4) to play with family. I was surprised to hear Planechase is coming back and is even included in Duels of the Planewalkers 2013.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By dagas

I got really into it the summer of 2006 and played in some pre-release tournaments and such. But I got over it in a few months. I've only played a bit of the 360 games since.

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Illuminosopher

I started playing around the time that Unlimited came out and have played off and on sense then, but it can be hard to find people who like to play.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By subject2change

I recently quit. Played the Legacy format. Got bored of it. I mainly played to road trip and travel with friends, however some quit and the ones that still play are too serious about it. Currently unloading my collection on ebay. So far pulled in $600 on about 15 cards. Mainly from selling my set of Tarmogoyfs. Still got duals, fetches, forces, jaces and some random stuff.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#10  Edited By Svenzon

I started playing a few months ago. Right now I'm playing a Blue/Green Mirrodin/New Phyrexia deck, but I'm probably switching to a Green/White when Avacyn Restored comes out. Me and some other guys recently founded our own club. So far we've all been playing Legacy. Some members are just way too serious about it and have these insane combo decks, which newbies like me don't stand a chance against. Therefore we'll be switching to Standard soon to even the odds.

GrandMarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By GrandMarshal

I do but only with friends and with built decks of any cards from any magic release. Its the only way i like the game. I like the game to be that all players bring their best built decks and have a real game of strategy. Instead of limiting players card too much.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WMWA

I played the shit out of it for a while. Stopped buying cards around 7th edition though. Then it got weird with two cards in one and I stopped playing.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By egg

I like adhering to formats. I never understood ''casual'', it seems like balance would be a huge issue. (This is aside from casual formats which solve the problem.)

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By subject2change
@egg

I like adhering to formats. I never understood ''casual'', it seems like balance would be a huge issue. (This is aside from casual formats which solve the problem.)

EDH is fun for the casual crowd. Unfortunately it can get serious when not playing with friends.
Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Hector

I play MTG 2012 on PS3 but that's about it. I have a bunch of promotional cards though.

llamaegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By llamaegg

@egg said:

To each their own, but I play casual weekly, and we're talking about people using cards back from Alpha, and while some of that stuff is broken as sin, as long as you're not playing against dicks that want the first turn win it's an absolutely blast!

Now to be dumb and order a good three-four boxes of Avacyn Restored! Some disgustingly good cards in that set.

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Butler

I was just trying to build a tri-color deck yesterday. I play casually my friends are way more serious tourney type cats who have turn1/2 win decks. Which I disallow them from playing because it's just no fun haha.

I remember when flying was something to contend with.

And everybody if you like Magic, still play or quit playing; PLAY PLANESCAPE. The chaos is amazing ^^

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By egg

@wmaustin55 said:

I played the shit out of it for a while. Stopped buying cards around 7th edition though. Then it got weird with two cards in one and I stopped playing.

lol split cards are weird? What about morph and hybrids and planeswalkers and....

I think split cards are very clever actually, in hindsight. In of themselves they aren't complex at all yet they add more choices. What I don't like is when the choices require too many colors, or when either half sucks, as in either case that results in only one half of the card ever being used. (which defeats the whole point of having a split card)

It also kind of blew that Dark Confidant makes you lose life for both halves of a split card. Ouch!

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Spoonman671

I used to play when I was younger.  I had a multicolored deck full of slivers and dragons that I never lost with.  Each sliver you play made all the others more powerful.  This was 10+ years ago so this strategy is probably a bit out of date.

SquigglyElf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SquigglyElf

I play casual magic with my friends every saturday, I've got a couple edh decks, but none of them really play it so I haven't gotten a chance to try them out properly.

@Spoonman671: I have a five-colour sliver deck, I absolutely love it. My friends hate it though, so I can't play it as much as I would like. But slivers kick ass.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Only experience with it I've had is with the Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 game. I enjoy the card game, but I don't have anyone to play with so that's the only way I can play.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kermoosh

i played a ton of the first 360 game, never ventured into the cards though. i got like 6-8 decks for 5 bucks instead of spending a ton on the actual cards

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I played MTG back in the mid 90s in high school as a way to pass time.  I was more into collecting sets and actually had quite a few before I sold them cause I was a moron.  I still have a binder full of signed cards too. 

A friend bought me MTG on steam so we can play it together.  Some of the crap is really complicated these days.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mandude

@SquigglyElf said:

I play casual magic with my friends every saturday, I've got a couple edh decks, but none of them really play it so I haven't gotten a chance to try them out properly.

@Spoonman671: I have a five-colour sliver deck, I absolutely love it. My friends hate it though, so I can't play it as much as I would like. But slivers kick ass.

I had a sliver deck which I have to my friend. It's not that I hated it, it was just that it seemed a bit cheap. The synergy between slivers was too good for something that doesn't take a lot of creativity to work out.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#25  Edited By Dimsey

I played casually some years ago, then I moved about a bunch and the places I moved to no one really played so gave my cards to folk who could actually use them. 

SquigglyElf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SquigglyElf

@mandude: It's totally cheap, but so is the fact that my friend stacks his deck.

A deck with changelings, Xenograft, even an extinction are good solutions for sliver decks.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GooieGreen

When I was a wee lad, I started playing, but I never got into it until middle school. By then, most of the format had changed from the original run. I never played much since then, and as much as I want to pick it up again, my girlfriend wants nothing to do with it.

I guess I'll be playing Apple to Apples for the rest of my life.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By shirogane

@SquigglyElf said:

@mandude: It's totally cheap, but so is the fact that my friend stacks his deck.

A deck with changelings, Xenograft, even an extinction are good solutions for sliver decks.

I use an EDH Sliver deck, and people hate it. Mana echoes enchant in that deck is pretty imabalanced, it basically means you play every single sliver in your deck in one turn, if you have the right ones out.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By haffy

Can someone explain the basics of this to me? I've never really understood how you play card games like these.

Also how do you actually determine skill in this game? I've read somewhere that there was some guy who was most likely to win tournaments or something along those lines.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I've always been interested in it but I don't have the money to stay up to date with it. Duels of the Planeswalkers is cool, but I wish there were more cards and they didn't make a new game every year.

SquigglyElf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SquigglyElf

@Shirogane: Oh my god. I need one of those. Probably cost a fortune though.

My best combo I ever had for dropping slivers was two WIld Pairs, a gemhide Sliver, and a reflex sliver.

Edit: Actually, I looked it up and it's only a couple bucks. Clearly I'm buying a few of them.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By egg

@haffy said:

Can someone explain the basics of this to me? I've never really understood how you play card games like these.

Also how do you actually determine skill in this game? I've read somewhere that there was some guy who was most likely to win tournaments or something along those lines.

It's not always clear what the best play to make would be, not to mention you don't know what's in opponent's hand, or the order of cards in either players' deck.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Daveyo520

I used to. I have a crappy goblin deck.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#34  Edited By StarvingGamer

I played MTG pretty hardcore from the Mirage block through Invasion then stopped. I picked it back up shortly after DotP2012 came out and have been buying mostly common/uncommon cards and playing casually with friends. I already preordered my common/uncommon playsets from Avacyn Restored although I'm not really looking forward to any of the cards there. Just the collector in me I guess. I think I've gotten up to somewhere around 15,000 cards at this point.

As far as decks go, one I'm running right now is a W Life Gain deck centered around Ajani's Pridemate and Chalice of Life/Death. Since one of my friends only plays a U Control deck this typically means I end up with one or two Ajani's with Claustrophobia floating somewhere around 40/40 until I can pop an Oblivion Ring and one-shot him. Oddly enough, I never seem to get my Chalices during my games with him.

I'm also playing a B Necropotence deck with all the best lifelink/lifedrain/creature destruction I can muster. Also I'm an asshole and use some of my older cheap cards like Hymn to Tourach and Hypnotic Specter. Beyond that I have a pretty standard R Burn deck and a G Beatdown deck.

Finally I have two multicolored decks themed around Dark Ascension and the Diregraf Captain and Immerwolf. The BU zombie deck tends to get pretty good traction quickly but the RG werewolf deck seems a bit lacking. It just takes too long to get going so I think I'm going to scrap it in favor of a BR vampire deck.

@haffy: The basic idea is you build a deck of cards and the goal is kill the opponent, usually by doing damage and reducing their life to 0. A typical deck is approximately 1/3 Land cards and 2/3 Spell cards. Your lands are your resources and determine how many spells you can cast per turn. Your spells can do a wide variety of things including summon creatures, create one-time effects, or cause permanent buffs/debuffs.

Determining the skill of a player is twofold. The first part happens before the game in the form of deck construction. Most high-level decks involve a lot of synergy and efficiency. With hundreds and sometimes thousands of cards to choose from, it can be very difficult to narrow down the specific cards you want in your deck and the best players will be able to do this intelligently in order to maximize their chances to achieve a win condition. There is also the metagame aspect. As new sets are released and the available cards for tournament play change, different deck types will rise to prominence. Some players then find success by building decks specifically tailored to counter whatever the flavor of the week may be.

The second way skill is measured comes from the actual playing of the game. Although there is a certain degree of luck involved, the disadvantage of a terrible hand can often be mitigated by smart play and proper allocation of resources. Good players will be able to look at the spells they have available and, combined with their knowledge of their opponent's deck, decide when to sit on their cards and when to burn through them to turn the tide of battle.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Nick

I've got a TON of cards from 1995 when me and my brother briefly played, I can't really remember how to play though.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By supamon

Started playing during the onslaught till ravnica block, my first deck was a sliver deck, love the game but time and other newer flashy things have caught my eye.

I still keep meaning to go back when I can but it doesn't seem likely.

Anupsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Anupsis

I always wanted to but no one I know wants to so that ended that dream pretty fast. I should probably try the game on steam.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i used to play quite a bit during the late 90's. i stopped after realizing i was becoming a MtG snob. it wasn't very much fun once i had gotten to that point.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By shirogane

@SquigglyElf: Mana echoes+Sliver Queen+Training grounds or heartstone=infinite slivers. Add in one of the many haste slivers, and you win in one turn. I don't think it costs that much....

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By JJOR64

I played it for a little bit back in the day. I was huge into Yugioh back then as well and enjoyed that more the Magic.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By crusader8463

Not since I was in High School. Man building decks was s much fun. Used to have some real mean green and green/black decks.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By breadfan

I've been playing on and off since I was a kid. Duels of the Planeswalkers got a bunch of my friends hooked on the Magic vodoo. I haven't played much since last summer though...dropped way too much money on cards.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BlatantNinja23

A group of friends and I have a pile of like 50 plus decks built that we kinda just randomly pick up and play every once and a while but that's about it.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SuperWristBands

I have a vampire deck that I really wish was good but I don't want to spend more then $5 on a single card and I don't buy packs anymore. My pool of cards are limited.

SquigglyElf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SquigglyElf

@Shirogane said:

@SquigglyElf: Mana echoes+Sliver Queen+Training grounds or heartstone=infinite slivers. Add in one of the many haste slivers, and you win in one turn. I don't think it costs that much....

I want the sliver queen so badly, but at the stores around here she's about 30$, and I just haven't had the will to pay that much for a single card.

spacetrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By spacetrogg

I've dabbled in the world of Magic, my friend bought me one of the Commander decks last summer, it was kinda neat but I tended to get thrashed by more experienced players so its on the back burner.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fattony12000

I mostly play Modern and Pauper on MTGO.

I'm also teaching and playing Standard with my girlfriend recently.

MAGIC!

Just recently I'm really liking this Gnaw to the Bone/Songs of the Damned deck, which makes use of these cards:

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Fallen189

@Fattony12000 said:

I mostly play Modern and Pauper on MTGO.

I'm also teaching and playing Standard with my girlfriend recently.

MAGIC!

Just recently I'm really liking this Gnaw to the Bone/Songs of the Damned deck, which makes use of these cards:

My buddy plays a self milling gnaw to the bone deck. It's excrutiating

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I am massively offended by this card game fetish thread.

blindisaac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By blindisaac

Reading this thread has made want to go out and buy a fat pack and deck builders kit. Damn you all :P