#1 Posted by thatpinguino (720 posts) -

How long do you think a blog should be in pages ( MSWord page size)? What is the absolute maximum number of pages you would be willing to read on a blog, either wall of text or text broken up by images? I think that a blog could be any size, but if it is longer than five pages it should have a strong thesis or point to it.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

Whatever I'm doing, it's probably too long.

#3 Edited by ElixirBronze (417 posts) -

I rarely read blogs at all, unless it's about something I'm really interested in... Usually I don't care what people I don't know think about stuff.

#4 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (659 posts) -

Depends on what the blog is about and if it is interesting. I'd say a page easy, perhaps a page and a half at the max (unless it is something epic, then use however many pages it takes)

#5 Posted by AlexW00d (6185 posts) -

@david1890 said:

I rarely read blogs at all, unless it's about something I'm really interested in... Usually I don't care what people I don't know think about stuff.

I share the same sentiments. Unless your blog is about something I actually care about, I won't read it. Doubly so if it's a billion pages long.

#6 Posted by wewantsthering (1551 posts) -

@ShadowKnight508 said:

Depends on what the blog is about and if it is interesting. I'd say a page easy, perhaps a page and a half at the max (unless it is something epic, then use however many pages it takes)

Exactly. Is it reviews, random thoughts, a novel broken into separate posts, etc? The type of content dictates how long each post can be. It's the internet/ADD generation so the more concise the better.

#7 Posted by TyCobb (1945 posts) -

It should be as long as it needs to be to convey your thoughts and hold the information you need to share. It's a blog, not an essay you have to turn into a teach with a minimum of 5,000 words and double-spaced.

#8 Posted by JoeyRavn (4949 posts) -

Don't think about pages. Think in terms of words or characters. I'm writing a short dissertation for university (I'm starting a Master's Degree next year), and I have a limit of 100 pages for it. The thing is, I usually write in a very small font with no line spacing, so when I change everything to the format the university wants (Times New Roman, 12pts, double spaced... standard stuff), I get twice as many pages as I originally had.

Yeah, write what you think you need to write, though I wouldn't go over 2000 words per post. If you feel you're not saying everything you need to say with less than 2000 words, divide your thoughts into two or more blog entries. But, seriously, reading a wall of text of 6000 words online is not very appealing.

#9 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

With the text field as wide as it is on Giantbomb, it should at least all fit on the one page (as in screen).

#10 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Mine have varied from a few sentences to about 3-4 pages.

Its harder to write multiple pages though, you'll lose readers halfway if the text doesn't grab em.

#11 Edited by believer258 (11637 posts) -

Essays Blogs should be like short skirts - long enough to cover everything, but short enough to keep it interesting.

Well, that's what one of my teachers said about essays, anyway. I think the same could apply to blogs, or even writing, in general. Anyway, the idea is that putting an arbitrary character or page limit on your blogs means that instead of aiming to say something, you say what you need to and then aim to bloat it to fit that goal. If you can fully express what you need to express in just a paragraph, then you don't need to spend four paragraphs saying the same thing.

#12 Posted by GnomeonFire (696 posts) -

3 paragraphs tops for me, in most cases that's all it takes to convey a thought. Nobody wants to read fluff.

#13 Edited by NathHaw (2760 posts) -

I think a blog can be however long you want it to be, but keep in mind that the longer it is, the less likely anyone will care. Not that I think that that is a good way for people to view a blog, but it is pretty much how it is. I have had a few long blogs on here that I've deleted for one reason or another, and I recently posted one that on Word was about 16 pages (not including my attached sources); no one commented on it, and I assume that's due at least mostly to no one's reading it due to its length.

If you want enough people to read your blog, at least initially, keep it short-ish until they get hooked. If you've got something you really want to say, within reason, keep it whatever length you need to say it.

#14 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Don't forget to use pictures to break up interminable blocks of text!
#15 Posted by NTM (7266 posts) -

@david1890 said:

#16 Posted by thatpinguino (720 posts) -

@JoeyRavn: @believer258: I always have the dilemma of completeness versus length. I want each blog to stand alone and convey a whole thesis, but then the length can get unruly and uninviting. If you break an essay into several blogs there is the problem of losing people after the first few. So do you try to capture an audience once for a long time or several times for a short time each. It is especially problematic if the blog is posted on a game page since it fades away after a few minutes, often not to rise again.

#17 Posted by MMMman (118 posts) -

@GnomeonFire said:

3 paragraphs tops for me, in most cases that's all it takes to convey a thought. Nobody wants to read fluff.

@david1890 said:

These appears to be the general consensus when it comes to 'amateur' writing. I personally find it difficult to feel as though I am writing anything of substance if I bear such limitations in mind, however. I feel it only right to discuss things at quite a depth as to avoid simply making pithy opinions without justifying myself. Having said that if no one reads your piece its length and complexities are redundant. As a rule though 1500 words seems to be the very ceiling, 1000 ideally. Titles and opening paragraphs arguably play a bigger part in attracting readers. Only time and practice can help out you with those; keep writing and you'll find what works for you and your audience.

#18 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Doesn't really matter, more than 2 paragraphs I would say.

#19 Posted by Moonshadow101 (555 posts) -

Long, I'd think. The difference between a Blog Post and a Forum Post, imo, has less to do with length and more to do with discussion. A blog post isn't really a super communal thing. You should be saying something that doesn't necessarily require a response, because it stands alone rather than simply being a jumping-off point for a larger conversation. This fact almost invariably makes it longer. There's also much more pressure to use proper writing grammar rather than simplified conversational grammar, which stretches things a bit.

Also, this is the internet. I have no idea how long a page is.

#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

Don't forget to use pictures to break up interminable blocks of text!
Pfft. THIS is how the pros do it.
#21 Posted by Slag (4008 posts) -

@thatpinguino said:

How long do you think a blog should be in pages ( MSWord page size)? What is the absolute maximum number of pages you would be willing to read on a blog, either wall of text or text broken up by images? I think that a blog could be any size, but if it is longer than five pages it should have a strong thesis or point to it.

When I used to blog more often I'd try to limit to 800-1000 words, unless I really had a compelling narrative to drive it along.

pretty much once you go over 400 words it starts to get real easy to lose people, but you go too far under that it's probably not worth posting at all as you don't have a deep enough thought.

Generally speaking the more skilled you get, the longer blogs you can write.

#22 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

This is a hard question to answer. I think how long a blog needs to be depends on how interesting it is, what it's trying to cover, and how thorough it's trying to be. I usually end up hitting around 1,500 words per post, but if something was really interesting I genuinely don't know what the maximum number of pages I'd read would be. I've read very long articles in the past, but I've found few user blogs on a site like this that really merit being pages and pages long.

#23 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Pfft. THIS is how the pros do it.

I'm not gonna lie. Clocktower still scares the crap out of me.

#24 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@Ravenlight:

Which one? Because there's only one right answer. The SNES one, obviously.

#25 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i would say like a page and a half. i think that they should be broken up a little bit. don't just type huge paragraphs, break those up, put pictures in there to make it look like it's small. i find reading paragraphs boring.

#26 Posted by LD50 (416 posts) -

All of them.

#27 Posted by Hunter5024 (5543 posts) -

Hmm I'm not sure either. I know the answer is that it should be short enough so people don't skip it. Though that can be very frustrating when you have more points to make about the game. In my Final Fantasy 5 Retrospective I intended to write a section about the characters and some of the cooler levels like I did for Fire Emblem 6, but when I looked back at that blog I decided it was too long, and that a lot of people probably dismissed it because of so much text (and maybe lack of interest, I can't imagine everybody on this site cares as much about Fire Emblem as Final Fantasy). So I ended up leaving that part out of my FF5 blog and people seemed to enjoy that one. My advice to you would be to focus on one thing, and if you have more thoughts about something than try and distill them down into a point as well, and try to get 2 shorter blogs out of it instead of one big one.

#28 Posted by GnomeonFire (696 posts) -

There's a reason Twitter is so successful, 140 chars or less.