#1 Posted by BrendenDonaher (89 posts) -

Well I am just curious as to how much you guys are paying for you iPhone. I have a 32GB 3GS that I pay what I feel is way to much per month. I pay around $102 bucks a month for a plan that has pretty much everything unlimited. That is on Rogers here in Canada. That being said i do not know what the average cost of ownership is on AT&T or Orange / Vodafone / the other european carrier. So what do you guys pay, and on what network?

#2 Edited by tbone81889 (162 posts) -

I'll list AT&T plans below. 

$450 mins for $40 
900 mins for $60 
Unlimited mins for $70 

200 texts for $5 
1500 texts for $15 
Unlimited texts for $20 

Unlimited Data $30. 

This means that our plans can range from as low as $70 a month to $120 a month if we want an iPhone.  Anyway the Iphone isn't any more expensive then a regular smartphone such as a Blackberry or Windows Mobile Device.  They are all the same cost, monthly.  

Edit:   So you really can't say that the iphone is overpriced.  What you should say though is  that all cell phone plans are overpriced.   Then I think everyone will agree. 

*source:  I work for AT&T

#3 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -

I bought my iPhone on eBay and have a rolling contract with Vodafone UK at £20/month (Around 30 USD) - that's with 1000 texts, 300 minutes and 500mb data usage.

#4 Posted by BrendenDonaher (89 posts) -

Oh I see, That is more than I thought. Here is my plan breakdown. 

150 Minutes with My 5 - $25 
iPhone Value Plan (unlimited sms, MMS, visual voicemail) - $20 
6GB Data Plan ( with unlimited tethering) - $30 
Taxes / 911 Fee / System Access Fee - $27 

The best part of that plan is the data. 6GB is unlimited basically unlimited. Also AT&T, Verizon and Sprints "unlimited" data plans also have a cap of 5GB. 

#5 Posted by Aeterna (1118 posts) -

30euro/month 
Unlimited gprs/hsdpa  usage/data
150 minutes 
150 texts

I mostly use it for internet connectivity so..  that's all fine for me.

#6 Posted by BrendenDonaher (89 posts) -

Man. You europeans have it so lucky in the mobile space. Your contracts are shorter, your phones are better. And you barely pay anything compared to North America. 

#7 Posted by Snail (8606 posts) -

I simply bought my iPhone 3GS 32 Gigs from Vodafone with no contract whatsoever.

#8 Posted by BrendenDonaher (89 posts) -
@Snail: How is that going, they are mad expensive off contract. Around $850 Canadian without a contract. 
#9 Posted by Webby (720 posts) -
@BrendenDonaher said:
" Man. You europeans have it so lucky in the mobile space. Your contracts are shorter, your phones are better. And you barely pay anything compared to North America.  "
Well you get games and everything else cheaper.
#10 Posted by Snail (8606 posts) -
@BrendenDonaher said:
" @Snail: How is that going, they are mad expensive off contract. Around $850 Canadian without a contract.  "
Yeah, that sounds about right. I could afford it, so I decided not to get into any contracts.
#11 Posted by EVO (3908 posts) -

$70 AUD.

#12 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I pay for 2 iPhones. The plan is for: 

700 min for $70 
Unlim text for $20 per phone 
Unlim data for $30 per phone 
GPS for $10 per phone 
Insurance for $10 per phone 

Total a month = $210 per month 

And I switched from and Android phone on T-mobile. I was only paying $140 a month with 4 phones.

#13 Posted by BrendenDonaher (89 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" I pay for 2 iPhones. The plan is for:  700 min for $70 Unlim text for $20 per phone Unlim data for $30 per phone GPS for $10 per phone Insurance for $10 per phone  Total a month = $210 per month  And I switched from and Android phone on T-mobile. I was only paying $140 a month with 4 phones. "
How come you pay for more than one? Family Plans?
#14 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@BrendenDonaher said:
" @ch13696 said:
" I pay for 2 iPhones. The plan is for:  700 min for $70 Unlim text for $20 per phone Unlim data for $30 per phone GPS for $10 per phone Insurance for $10 per phone  Total a month = $210 per month  And I switched from and Android phone on T-mobile. I was only paying $140 a month with 4 phones. "
How come you pay for more than one? Family Plans? "
Yeah. It was a Christmas present for both me and my girl. Besides I got tired of all the lag on the Android so I decided to get something with a better processor speed.
#15 Posted by tbone81889 (162 posts) -
@BrendenDonaher said:
" Oh I see, That is more than I thought. Here is my plan breakdown.  150 Minutes with My 5 - $25 iPhone Value Plan (unlimited sms, MMS, visual voicemail) - $20 6GB Data Plan ( with unlimited tethering) - $30 Taxes / 911 Fee / System Access Fee - $27  The best part of that plan is the data. 6GB is unlimited basically unlimited. Also AT&T, Verizon and Sprints "unlimited" data plans also have a cap of 5GB.  "
On smartphone data AT&T doesn't have a cap on internet.  They do have a cap on their aircard services at 5GB.
#16 Edited by tbone81889 (162 posts) -
@ch13696 said:

Just so you know you could be paying $30 a month for unlimited texting for everyone on your family plan instead of $20 a line.  Also where did you get your phone?  The reason why I ask is because AT&T doesn't offer phone insurance for an iPhone.
#17 Posted by SuperSambo (2865 posts) -

32gb 3gs

£30 a month - 1200 mins and 500 mins

Thats pretty good for whats on offer in the UK. Should be around £45 and got the phone for half price.

#18 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@tbone81889 said:
" @ch13696 said:

Just so you know you could be paying $30 a month for unlimited texting for everyone on your family plan instead of $20 a line.  Also where did you get your phone?  The reason why I ask is because AT&T doesn't offer phone insurance for an iPhone. "
Yeah but on my bill they call it iPhone texting. I tried looking up their plans for unlimited family texting but their's nothing. That's California for you. Business' ripping you off (hint, hint...Activision)
#19 Posted by ahriman22 (2746 posts) -

80$ I believe. 
Unlimited local.
Unlimited text.
2GB/mo, tethering included. 
Visual voicemail, caller ID, various other things.

#20 Posted by Th3_James (2578 posts) -

Canada: w/Rogers $50/month, unlimited texts, 1gb of data, don't remember minutes but it is way more than i will ever use 

It has all i need and more than i will ever use. I never go over my data and use it every day, streaming cnn, email, browsing 

I just look at it from a daily cost. It's like the price of a coffee, so for me it is worth it

#21 Posted by tbone81889 (162 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" @tbone81889 said:
" @ch13696 said:

Just so you know you could be paying $30 a month for unlimited texting for everyone on your family plan instead of $20 a line.  Also where did you get your phone?  The reason why I ask is because AT&T doesn't offer phone insurance for an iPhone. "
Yeah but on my bill they call it iPhone texting. I tried looking up their plans for unlimited family texting but their's nothing. That's California for you. Business' ripping you off (hint, hint...Activision) "
I would customer care.  800-311-0500 or 611 from your phone.  No need to be paying extra for something you shouldn't.  Trust me, I work for the company.
#22 Posted by Tireyo (6413 posts) -

I got this thing called straight talk. 

$30 for 1000 minutes and 1000 texts. - What I got.
$45 for unlimited everything and includes internet access.