How much kilometer per hour over the speed limit is too much?

• 117 results
mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Edited By mx

Poll How much kilometer per hour over the speed limit is too much? (356 votes)

0-5 21%
6-10 18%
10-15 22%
16-20 15%
21-25 8%
THERE IS NO SPEED LIMIT (26 and up) 11%
Show me the results 6%

I am asking this because I was driving on the freeway lately and I was doing around 20 KPH over the speed limit, which was 120 KPH. Which by my standards is already kind of fast. But there was stil a car behind me, bugging me to get back to the right lane so he could pass. So my question is How much over the limit is too much?

• 
Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I usually just go with the flow of traffic. Other then that I'd say 10-15.

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By CynicalBuzzard

20 mph is enough over the speed limit.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Road is my Playground so I will usually go minimum 5-10 over anywhere I go unless its 1. School Zone since Kids are important and such and 2. theres a cop. Which most of the time there is not and Im just paranoid. Either way, I am the guy who flys by you at night going 10-20 over simply because I can and want to win the race home.. Any car in front of me means that I am not in first. Its a terrible game as I am always losing after I pass someone since there is always someone else infront. Anyways, I speed safely where I do it on open roads or freeways where there is distance's and most of the time its only when its dry.

And..... because this is MRIKA! Fuck km/h, its only useful when you want to believe your going faster then you actually are!

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104  Edited By Lanechanger

I feel comfortable going 20 over (120 over a 100 on a high way, or 80 over a 60, if a ramp is telling me to go 30 then I go 50, a parking lot that says to go 10? yeah way too slow, going 30 on those) but it might be a comfort level of how the driver feels about their reaction time and how confident they are in their vehicle's response time. With snowy conditions I'm probably going -10 to 20 than the suggested speed. There's also a mob mentality, if everyone's going 140 on the highway, then I have no problems going 140 on the highway.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pezen: I agree with most of what you said except the first part, if 100 people are doing 75 and one guy is doing 65, that person is the problem, not the 100 other cars.

Studies have shown that increasing speed limits doesn't increase the accident rate, it's when a few people go way over, or under the average speed that causes shit.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@randomhero666: If 100 people are speeding, it's an issue with 100 people speeding and not someone keeping the speed limit. Now if the the people driving 75 are keeping the speed limit, driving 65 could be bordering on being an issue of driving too slow. Sure. But I've already covered that I am not giving carte blance to drive like a fucking snail.

Yeah, well, studies have also shown that people who are habitual speeders are also more reckless, aggressive and impulsive in traffic.

But honestly, I am really tired of this whole conversation. So I am just going to bow out and get on with my life now.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

In my part of America, anything over 5 miles above the posted speed limit is ticketable. I've known people who've been pulled over for 7 above.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By HerbieBug

10-15 over is just normal flow of traffic in city. If you are driving faster than that without reason, or your reason is you're a fucking asshole pickup truck driving motherf- nevermind. I'm supposed to be careful about road rage. It is becoming a problem for me. -____-

@mcshank said:

Either way, I am the guy who flys by you at night going 10-20 over simply because I can and want to win the race home.. Any car in front of me means that I am not in first. Its a terrible game as I am always losing after I pass someone since there is always someone else infront.

When you find yourself in a position where you cannot exceed the limit to the extent that you believe you are entitled to, you should tailgate the car in front of you as close as possible. Get all the way in there. Bump their fender a little. Let them know how large your theoretical willy is. Bask in the adoration of the other drivers at your supreme alpha-manliness. Everyone agrees how cool and important you are.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#109  Edited By Driadon

Where I am, in the summer at least, they generally give a good 10km/h cushion over, though since winter is so bad, during that period we generally go 10km/h UNDER the speed limit when there's snow on the ground.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to always go 10 mph over the speed limit, but I'll adjust as the traffic flow changes because the most important factor is to blend with the crowd and not draw attention to yourself

Avatar image for meatdimensionfighter
meatdimensionfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the highway 20-30 km/h over is just fine

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

10% rule

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#113  Edited By unchained

I'm a cop (Mountie) in Canada and I enforce highway laws. If it's good road conditions in a 110km/h zone and the flow of traffic is normal, I usually won't pull you over unless you are going 15km/h or more over the limit.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On side streets, 5 mph. On major roads, 7-10mph. Highways? I've been known to go... a lot over.

School zones though? It's posted as 20mph, but I will go 15mph in worries that a cop will hit me with radar and clock me going a mile over 20. Phone goes in the center console and the door gets closed to hide it. The fines for speeding in a school zone are crazy. And if someone wants to tail my ass while I drive through a school zone, I'll happily drive even slower. If there are kids around? My foot's on the brake at all times.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know exactly what the km/mile conversion is, but I don't go more than 10 miles over (only 5 miles over if limit is less than 45) very often. And when I do I know I shouldn't and am taking a risk. it's usually early in the morning/late at night on highways though.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plus side of driving in south florida is being able to blend in crowds doing 80 - 90 mph in 60 mph zones on highways, but you have to be confident in your reaction time and being aware of all the lanes.

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it's completely up to the circumstances, on empty highway I'll take it up to 100km/h or so even if the speedlimit is 70 assuming the road is good but on more congested highways it's usually up to the traffic flow because going slower than the rest means you're just putting yourself at risk because suddenly every asshole needs to get by you and they don't care if there's any room or tons of oncoming traffic. But if the road is bad, it might be even impossible to drive at legal limit safely and even with the reduced winter speedlimits, some roads are so slippery that you might need to drive 20-30km/h below to keep it safe despite brand new tires.

Going way past 100km/h is pointless because the increased RPMs and air resistance destroys your fuel economy and considering it's already 100€ to fill a tank, I don't mind if the trip takes couple minutes longer.