• 114 results
#101 Edited by Pr1mus (3779 posts) -

174,633,233$

Sunday Edit: I feel pretty good about that number now. Less than 700k off. Will see when they show actual numbers tomorrow.

#102 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5182 posts) -

@evilnights: Saw it, review, almost exactly what I said before; Oblivion is better for sure but Iron Man 3 is still a solid summer action movie. As someone who's really good at insulting people I have to say the "Dad's leave" line is fucking amazing and any troll would be proud, well done Downey Jr. and/or the writer. The movie has incredibly good acting but a terrible plot basically; the acting is so good that you ignore how stupid the plot is and there's nothing wrong with a Superhero movie having a stupid plot but why would it also have intelligent humor at the same time? Maybe if it was more self aware humor it would be better but I just don't think you can get away with having Iron Man fighting what are effectively superheroes (without the assistance of other superheroes), not in the wake of the Avengers. Also anti-climatic end of the final action sequence.

#103 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

So far, as of my typing this, Wikipedia is reporting $413,712,000. That's pretty astounding.

#104 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5182 posts) -

@mariachimacabre: Obviously Rorie means Domestic; the Worldwide opening is pretty solid so far and there's basically no chance this movie doesn't make it to a billion (Pirates 4 made a billion) worldwide.

#105 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11423 posts) -

$150M I would think.
I thought it was better than Iron Man 2, for as dumb as I found the concept of Extremis to be, along with Guy Pierce being a weak villain. Ben Kingsley is pretty fantastic though.

#106 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11423 posts) -

$150M I would think.
I thought it was better than Iron Man 2, for as dumb as I found the concept of Extremis to be, along with Guy Pierce being a weak villain. Ben Kingsley is pretty fantastic though.

#107 Posted by hawkinsn (25 posts) -

$166,550,000

#108 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3719 posts) -

I'd like to change my answer to $175 Million.

#109 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

Is it too late to submit my answer? Because I'd like to submit "A lot of fucking money."

#110 Posted by tread311 (352 posts) -

I was way off. Underestimated the post Avengers momentum for sure.

#111 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1169 posts) -

Gah, so close.

#112 Edited by EuanDewar (4690 posts) -

So like whats the final number

#113 Edited by Pr1mus (3779 posts) -

@rorie Actual numbers are in! 174,144,585$

I think that makes @elohym the winner with 174 millions.

My 174,633,233$ guess is so close yet so far...

#114 Posted by Rorie (2551 posts) -

@pr1mus: Cool! Did anyone get closer than that? Speak now or forever hold your peace...

Staff
#115 Posted by Elohym (24 posts) -

@rorie: Holy crap! I've never won anything in my entire life...so this is what it feels like to be a winner. Now, where's the award ceremony?

#116 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1169 posts) -

Your half-eaten giant donut is in the mail.

#117 Edited by huser (1020 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

@evilnights: Saw it, review, almost exactly what I said before; Oblivion is better for sure but Iron Man 3 is still a solid summer action movie. As someone who's really good at insulting people I have to say the "Dad's leave" line is fucking amazing and any troll would be proud, well done Downey Jr. and/or the writer. The movie has incredibly good acting but a terrible plot basically; the acting is so good that you ignore how stupid the plot is and there's nothing wrong with a Superhero movie having a stupid plot but why would it also have intelligent humor at the same time? Maybe if it was more self aware humor it would be better but I just don't think you can get away with having Iron Man fighting what are effectively superheroes (without the assistance of other superheroes), not in the wake of the Avengers. Also anti-climatic end of the final action sequence.

Interesting. As a comic fan the LACK of other supers is perfectly fine, it's what happens all the time. I'm curious if this will become a problem for the noncomic fans that make up the majority of the audience. We'll see with the movies following this. For me, Stark's criminal lack of preparation at the first action scene is where the plot gets...wonky.

#118 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5182 posts) -

@huser: Well they don't have to dominate the plot or anything but a Captain America cameo wouldn't hurt, I'm sure Cap doesn't like it when terrorists attack. Also the justification for when the "Supermen" die is so ill explained, compare with how the Wolverine-type chick dies in X-2, but in this it's just "you die when it's convenient for you to die, extremely powerful explosions don't work but tossing you up on some power lines does"

#119 Posted by huser (1020 posts) -

@huser: Well they don't have to dominate the plot or anything but a Captain America cameo wouldn't hurt, I'm sure Cap doesn't like it when terrorists attack. Also the justification for when the "Supermen" die is so ill explained, compare with how the Wolverine-type chick dies in X-2, but in this it's just "you die when it's convenient for you to die, extremely powerful explosions don't work but tossing you up on some power lines does"

They might eventually drop a few lines to explain that Captain America is currently punching out the Secretary of State who is actually the Red Skull, or work in minor cameos. I mean all of them have their own nemeses, rogues galleries and even fields of expertise. Them not being available for anything short of world ending catastrophe is readily handwavable (including the inevitable Masters of Evil, or if there is a benevolent god, a mind controlled Squadron Supreme) Far weirder, and a sad consequence of what happened in the Avengers, is the lack of an overt SHIELD presence. A threat to an Avenger ought to be one of their top priorities.

Spoilers

I thought the super soldiers were weird. Consistent with the Extremis storyline where Stark had to up his version number just to deal with one of them, but yeah then unarmored Stark could deal with a couple of them. I assumed the power line thing was not the amount of damage, but that she was getting constantly zapped and not letting the regeneration kick in. I assume heat isn't a huge weakness so the fiery explosions weren't as effective.