Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

Edited By Tylea002
Old?
Old?
About, what was it now, a week or so ago, I was sitting on a bench, chewing into a sandwich in my lunch break, and my friend Alex was talking to someone else about Gears 2, and how awesome it was. To which this other guy replied: Gears 2? Dude that got old ages ago.”

Right, is this the world we have come to? A world in which to play a game older than 2 months is living in the past? Now, I’ll admit this person, whom I do know, belongs very much to the “stereotypical young person” bracket of people. Fuck that, Rich young person suits him better. He shall not be named, for obvious reasons, but it goes to show that he bought 4 different iPod upgrades in a year. Now this blog would be shit if it went on Ranting about an unknown person, but it did bring to my mind an issue, “how old is old?”

Personally, I am a great advocate of old games. They’re cheap. They’re Cheap. And they can be fun. Least, I normally buy the fun ones. I don’t feel a need to keep up with the here and now, unlike some people caught up in that strange culture. That’s why, when, on a rare occasions, I review games, I could review anything from Battletoads to Skate 2, I’d just do it in the context of the present.

This culture that you should only play games that are new, is frankly, a problem created my the media onto the impressionable people of our society. And the problem is, it seems to be the young people that are effected the most. Not people who would check up information on video games, but those that listen simply to adverts and promotional material which is thrust in our faces so frequently nowadays.
Old?
Old?
There's not too much more to say on the matter, except that I do not like it. We all know where it has come from, and it won't change until this culture changes. I'll quote an example now. When the first iPod was released in Great Britain, loads of people bought it, so it remained really expensive. When it was released in Denmark, where this culture, and the gap between the rich and poor is much less prevelant, barely anyone did. And the price was reduced til it was affordable to everyone. None of the people in Denmark felt a need to make sure they were only using the new thing, that wasn't "old," whereas in Britain, where that culture is far more obvious, People had this urge.

Gah, that was one uncoordinated rant. I suppose I can stop the ranting now. Its safe to come out.
Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Tylea002
Old?
Old?
About, what was it now, a week or so ago, I was sitting on a bench, chewing into a sandwich in my lunch break, and my friend Alex was talking to someone else about Gears 2, and how awesome it was. To which this other guy replied: Gears 2? Dude that got old ages ago.”

Right, is this the world we have come to? A world in which to play a game older than 2 months is living in the past? Now, I’ll admit this person, whom I do know, belongs very much to the “stereotypical young person” bracket of people. Fuck that, Rich young person suits him better. He shall not be named, for obvious reasons, but it goes to show that he bought 4 different iPod upgrades in a year. Now this blog would be shit if it went on Ranting about an unknown person, but it did bring to my mind an issue, “how old is old?”

Personally, I am a great advocate of old games. They’re cheap. They’re Cheap. And they can be fun. Least, I normally buy the fun ones. I don’t feel a need to keep up with the here and now, unlike some people caught up in that strange culture. That’s why, when, on a rare occasions, I review games, I could review anything from Battletoads to Skate 2, I’d just do it in the context of the present.

This culture that you should only play games that are new, is frankly, a problem created my the media onto the impressionable people of our society. And the problem is, it seems to be the young people that are effected the most. Not people who would check up information on video games, but those that listen simply to adverts and promotional material which is thrust in our faces so frequently nowadays.
Old?
Old?
There's not too much more to say on the matter, except that I do not like it. We all know where it has come from, and it won't change until this culture changes. I'll quote an example now. When the first iPod was released in Great Britain, loads of people bought it, so it remained really expensive. When it was released in Denmark, where this culture, and the gap between the rich and poor is much less prevelant, barely anyone did. And the price was reduced til it was affordable to everyone. None of the people in Denmark felt a need to make sure they were only using the new thing, that wasn't "old," whereas in Britain, where that culture is far more obvious, People had this urge.

Gah, that was one uncoordinated rant. I suppose I can stop the ranting now. Its safe to come out.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Red

By old, I think he means not fun, but still-- old games are as good as any new games.

bartholomew999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By bartholomew999

Jesus I'm still playing Warhawk regularly. 

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ArchScabby

the morning after the midnight launch is too old to still be playing a game.

Also, your friend is an idiot.

Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Magresda

For some people old means that they are "done" with it, for other it means that it has passed a certain age. 

Personally, I couldn't see myself going back and actually playing anything before the N64 era. Sure, emulating a SNES game on your computer is fun for about 5 minutes, but only because of the nostalgia. 
When I think of an "old" game I could totally go back and play, the Warcraft franchise comes to mind. Some N64 or PS1 classics could also still hold up today, but this is as far back as I can go.

In more recent "old" games pretty much anything on the PS2 or Xbox is definitely still enjoyable. FFX springs to mind. Of course, some people would consider the current generations launch titles old, but to me that's stretching it.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jayge_

It ties in directly with how consoles have shaped the current online world. You'll be lucky if 4 or 5 games have a stable community. Back on the old consoles and the PC, games would have steady (if slightly smaller) communities that would always have someone online and playing. Online games had longevity. Now, people are all "I'll play this until this comes out, then play that until that comes out, etc. etc." ad nauseum. Weirdly enough, the DS and the PSP's online games communities are closest to this old (better) culture than any of the main consoles. Word.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By RetroIce4

Old is age 65 and above... Oh, Video Games!... Old to me is Late Snes to N64 era. I still play a lot of N64(More than me wii) but Snes can't interest me that much.

GamespotNoMore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By GamespotNoMore

well, it seems according to my off-topic poll that most (70%) GiantBomb users (out of over a 100 polled) are born 1986-1995 after the NES..and I can remember MC Hammer and the Berlin Wall collpasing so I feel really really old on these message boards

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince

My friend is like that as well. He thinks a month old game is old.

GamespotNoMore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GamespotNoMore

after 60 is quite old...for games 10-20 years is old for me...anything before Atari is ancient to me

GamespotNoMore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GamespotNoMore

anything before Ralph Baer is not existant for v games

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By penguindust

According to Wikipedia, there are 7 video game generations. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console

I think that anything prior to the crash of 1983 should be considered "old".  As far as I am concerned, that is the "golden age" of games and we are currently living in the "modern age".  I suppose you could add a "silver age" for the years 1983 to 1993 (the year the 3DO was released), but I still wouldn't consider that period of time "old".  How can games that were created back then and are now (once again) showing up on the DS be considered old?

GamespotNoMore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GamespotNoMore

man, I hope Street Fighter IV demand brings back the arcade market in USA

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By oldschool

It is simply a by-product of modern consumerism.  Mobile phones is the best example of it.  It is essentially a social stigma to have a phone more than a year old!  I have had mobile phones since 1995  and in that massive 13 year span, I have had just 3 phones.  I refuse to comply.  If it makes calls and receives calls, then it does what I want it to do.

I rarely buy games within the first 2 months of release.  A good game today will still be a good game in a years time.  I can wait for a decent price reduction.
GamespotNoMore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GamespotNoMore

that's cool, I have never owned a mobile phone and no, I'm not in my 40s