• 120 results
#1 Edited by big_jon (5732 posts) -

I was talking to a friend the other day, he was talking about his brother. He told me he went to school with us back in the day and then described him as 'tall', I said oh, really? How tall? You see my friend is short (to me) at 5'6" I thought it was funny when he said his brother was 5'8" I think of that as pretty short personally. So I started thinking about how height is relative. Supposedly the average man is 5'8" I think that's pretty sort, not sure that I believe it, I am 6'3".

Personally 6'1" and up could be classified as 'tall' in my book, but I wondered what do other people think about this? Would someone who is 6'8" think of me as short, in relative terms to them? Or would they realize that they are far over the norm ?

Anyways, I ask you duders, when does someone start being classified as tall?

#2 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

I think anything over 6' should be considered tall. Anything below 5'9 is short and between that and 6' is average.

#3 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

I usually think of 6' and up as tall.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

高い物だけは高いですね。 Or something like that.

#5 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

I say 6'1" or 6'2".

#6 Posted by ConfusedOwl (943 posts) -

I'm also 5'6 so almost everyone is tall to me :/. I'd say anything above 6' is really tall.

#7 Posted by medacris (660 posts) -

Agreeing with the "6'0" and over is tall" statement, but I don't understand 5'9" being treated as so short as to be considered diminutive. Most of the men in my family are around 5'6".

#8 Posted by Pr1mus (3918 posts) -

I'm 6'1" and people usually say i'm tall. I consider 6' and up to be tall.

#9 Edited by MoltenBoron (89 posts) -

I'm gonna go with everyone else on 6' and over being tall.

#10 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3860 posts) -

You have to be at least 6' 1" and up. 6' doesn't quite cut it to me.

But you're talking to a 6' 5" guy so take that with a grain of salt.

But then again, if it's my tall club, I get more say!

#11 Edited by big_jon (5732 posts) -

I think I also associate weight with height sometimes , like if you are 6' 160lbs I would be more likely to describe you as tall then if you were the same height at 300lbs. Not that heavier always means shorter in terms of perception but in some more extreme cases it kind of does for mine I think.

#12 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3860 posts) -

Also as to your second part about perception, it definitely is a big factor in being able to tell how tall people are.

At 6' 5", I am really bad at gauging any dude's height from like 5' 8" to under my height.I mean I can tell that they're shorter than me but I have a really hard time pegging it.It all kind of becomes varying degrees of how much shorter than me does this dude seem?A little or like a lot?And when I run into a dude taller than me it's a real "oh damn" type reaction.

That being said, I don't speak for everyone and think all these people are short because they aren't as tall as I am, obviously I'm just very tall.

With girls, it's easier for sure because it's more rare.A girl 5' 8" stands out big time to me and I may not be able to get the exact height but I know they are in the tall category.

#13 Posted by big_jon (5732 posts) -

I met a girl who was 6'5" once, it was pretty crazy.

#14 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3860 posts) -

@big_jon: Damn I've seen like 6' 2" and 3" but that's really tall for a girl.You have to feel for girls that tall because I know how hard it is for me to find clothes that fit, I can't imagine for them.Plus you're just so intimidating to almost all guys.

It's a perk of being a guy around my height level that taller women gravitate towards you in a huge way because they want a taller guy. But then you almost hit every door frame. If I was an inch taller this would be a serious issue.

#15 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

I used to think I was tall (6'2"), but meeting @glentennis threw everything into question.

#16 Edited by big_jon (5732 posts) -

@artisanbreads: Yes indeed. One of my good friends is 6'7", saw him hit his head once, it was pretty funny.

I am on the right (err left), guess where he is.

#17 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I am 6'1", and I wouldn't consider myself tall. Most people I know, including the girls, are taller than me.

#18 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3860 posts) -
@big_jon said:

@artisanbreads: Yes indeed. One of my good friends is 6'7", saw him hit his head once, it was pretty funny.

I am on the right (err left), guess where he is.

haha I feel for him. Can't be easy dude. I've always been thankful I'm just under doorframe height.

#19 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

@artisanbreads: I kinda agree with you. I sit at 5'9 so I feel short and when people say theyre 6' sometimes its hard to believe that they are because they look as short as me.

#20 Posted by Pr1mus (3918 posts) -

@artisanbreads: At 6'5" and up you're no longer just tall. You are alpha and genetically superior.

#21 Edited by ajamafalous (12003 posts) -

6' is tall, 5'8" is short.

For girls, 5'8" is tall.

#22 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3860 posts) -

@artisanbreads: I kinda agree with you.I sit at 5'9 so I feel short and when people say theyre 6' sometimes its hard to believe that they are because they look as short as me.

Isn't 6' average too or is that not true? Because if that's average how could it be tall? I guess you could say 6' 1" would be then because it was over but I'd even argue a bit higher.

Hope that's not tall bias but it's based on some logic. Maybe 6' isn't really quite average though, I'm not sure. I'm sure it varies country by country. American here.

#23 Edited by mpgeist (611 posts) -

I am 5'9" and feel short. It's probably about average though.

#24 Posted by big_jon (5732 posts) -

I once had a thing with a girl who was a little over 6', if she wore high heels she was taller than me, it was kind of awesome.

#25 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3860 posts) -

@pr1mus

@artisanbreads: At 6'5" and up you're no longer just tall. You are alpha and genetically superior.

I should probably start thinking this way.I don't see any possible way it could go wrong.

@big_jon

said:

I once had a thing with a girl who was a little over 6', if she wore high heels she was taller than me, it was kind of awesome.

I used to not care about a girl's height but something about tall girls has become more and more appealing.Maybe I find them more down to earth?That's ironic but I think true. They are usually more real.

#26 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

@the_official_japanese_teabag

said:

@artisanbreads: I kinda agree with you.I sit at 5'9 so I feel short and when people say theyre 6' sometimes its hard to believe that they are because they look as short as me.

Isn't 6' average too or is that not true?Because if that's average how could it be tall?I guess you could say 6' 1" would be then because it was over but I'd even argue a bit higher.

Hope that's not tall bias but it's based on some logic.Maybe 6' isn't really quite average though, I'm not sure.I'm sure it varies country by country.American here.

Yeah the average can definitely be higher. I can agree with that. The average is based on the worldwide average rather than the regional one cause it can definitely differ. In Canada, you can get a bunch of tall people too.

#27 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

I think 6' and up is tall for men.

#28 Posted by gla55jAw (2689 posts) -

I'm 5'5" and my manager at work is 6'8". I'm short and he's freakishly tall. I'd say 6' is considered tall.

#29 Posted by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

Anyone taller then me. And I'm about 6'. So taller then 6'.

#30 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

As a professional tall man (6'9'') I've looked in to tall clubs. To be a member of Tall Club International you have to be 6'3''.

#31 Posted by big_jon (5732 posts) -

As a professional tall man (6'9'') I've looked in to tall clubs. To be a member of Tall Club International you have to be 6'3''.

Well, I guess I am going to have to go find a tall mans club now, finally I will be complete.

#32 Posted by Slax (923 posts) -

I'm 6'4" and I would probably classify myself as tall. It really is all about perspective though (although I'd imagine there is some actual classification of tall, but I'm too lazy to look for it).

#33 Edited by SuliPatchouli (18 posts) -

Do you think I could squeeze in? I'm just under 6'3".

Actually come to think of it maybe I wouldn't want to be low man on the totem pole :P

#34 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

I'm just under 5'11'' so I figure anybody above a flat 6'0'' is "tall". Then again some girls I know have described me as tall which I always thought was funny because I feel a little short next to some of the guys I know. And then I read somewhere that the average height of a man in North America is, like, 5'8'' so whatever.

#35 Posted by bobafettjm (1492 posts) -

I guess I just make it in then being 6'3".

#36 Edited by Trilogy (2655 posts) -

At 6'1'' I consider myself and others my height to be at the bottom rung of being tall. I tend to look at people who are 6'5'' and up as being really tall. It's all relative, right?

#37 Edited by _Chad (962 posts) -

Being 5'7" up until I was 16 I know what being short is like, and it blows, everyone I knew was almost taller than me. Then the summer between my Sophomore and Junior year of high school I grew 5 inches to being six feet. Now I'm 20 and 6'5" and I'd like to think(hope) I'm done growing. I'd say for you to qualify as tall you'd have to be at least 6'2".

#38 Posted by Zleunamme (666 posts) -

I'm 5'7", I'm considered average. Anybody over 6' is tall. For no reason here are blatant height comparisons photos of former NBA players.

#39 Posted by Tennmuerti (8111 posts) -

Above 1.8m

#40 Posted by cclemon36 (180 posts) -

I don't consider myself short, but at 5'8½'' I have a hard time gauging other people's heights and tend to underestimate my stature in relation to others. I'd say 6' and above is tall.

#41 Posted by Demoskinos (14844 posts) -

I think you start approaching anything over 6' then you start getting into that range.

#42 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

Tall: 6'+

Average: anywhere from 5'8" to 5'11" (research suggests that 5'10" is the best estimate)

Short: anything below the previous range

#43 Edited by Toxin066 (3289 posts) -

A manlet thread on my GB? Oh no.

I'd say anything 3 inches over average is tall, anything under 3 inches is short.

#44 Edited by AndrewB (7621 posts) -

I tower over everyone I know except one person, and every time I see them I'm like "damn, that's tall."

Answer: anyone over 6'5".

I'm just so used to looking down at people without even realizing it that anyone taller than me makes me feel uncomfortable.

#45 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

I'm fucking 5'3, so I'd say 5'5- 5'6 is average and everything up is tall.

#46 Posted by Osaladin (2519 posts) -

I'm 6 and I consider that the end of the average spectrum. I'm usually taller by just a few inches over most people I know.

#47 Posted by SlashDance (1815 posts) -

1.8 meters. Because all hail the metric system.

#48 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
#49 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3860 posts) -

I'm fucking 5'3, so I'd say 5'5- 5'6 is average and everything up is tall.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think that's true dude.

/thread

#50 Edited by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

6'3" is the perfect height.. because that's how tall I am.