How to avoid a 14 year old marketing plan

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

Edited By Artie

Some of you may have heard of Dr. Pepper's marketing plan for the release of Guns N' Roses new album Chinese Democracy. Pretty much the idea is you get a free bottle of Dr. Pepper if you buy it on November 23rd (the release of the album). This plan was originally designed back in 1994 when the album was supposed to come out then, and has since been delayed due to the album being pushed back multiple times.

The catch is you have to print out a coupon from drpepper.com in order to be eligible for a free bottle. Well guess what happens when you go to the website?

Forever
Forever

Yup, stays at loading the entire time. At one point it actually loaded, and then went directly to "Can not be found" right afterwards. Most people would be upset, I just find this to be hilarious. I'm going to buy a Dr. Pepper anyway, because it's delicious, and the album doesn't seem too bad either.

Small Update: The page loads, but if you scroll over promotions >>> free dr.pepper you get one of these:

Hahaha
Hahaha
Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Artie

Some of you may have heard of Dr. Pepper's marketing plan for the release of Guns N' Roses new album Chinese Democracy. Pretty much the idea is you get a free bottle of Dr. Pepper if you buy it on November 23rd (the release of the album). This plan was originally designed back in 1994 when the album was supposed to come out then, and has since been delayed due to the album being pushed back multiple times.

The catch is you have to print out a coupon from drpepper.com in order to be eligible for a free bottle. Well guess what happens when you go to the website?

Forever
Forever

Yup, stays at loading the entire time. At one point it actually loaded, and then went directly to "Can not be found" right afterwards. Most people would be upset, I just find this to be hilarious. I'm going to buy a Dr. Pepper anyway, because it's delicious, and the album doesn't seem too bad either.

Small Update: The page loads, but if you scroll over promotions >>> free dr.pepper you get one of these:

Hahaha
Hahaha
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By brukaoru

Great marketing strategy. Offer a coupon for a free drink, and make the website not load! By the time people are sick of waiting for a coupon, they'll just go out and buy the drink!

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Karmum

The promotion is for 24 hours -- so just try a bit later in the day?

Avatar image for lightwarrior179
lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By lightwarrior179

Whatever..

I am more interested in listening to the album though. I just want to listen how Axl Rose's music sounds after 14 years of solitude. Seriously with the amount of artists and labels attached to Chinese Democracy I am glad that Guns N Roses atleast got another album.
Now if only Queen + Paul Rodgers would retire forever so that the world no longer needs to bear their awful music.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5  Edited By wefwefasdf

That is almost genius.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By daniel_beck_90
SpikeSpiegel said:
"That is almost genius."
but not in a good way
Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Xandurson

That's great!! I love marketing plans!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I hate marketing strategies. It makes the consumers look dumb.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gameboi

I'm willing to be that the servers are getting hammered, and that the site will load once the traffic has calmed down a bit.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lunarbunny

Somebody on another forum that works at Rackspace.com said that they were adding redundancy to their site...guess it wasn't enough.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Black_Rose

Lame

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By gearhead

Hi-larious.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By StaticFalconar

Not the first time, not gonna be the last time.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rowr
Gameboi said:
"I'm willing to be that the servers are getting hammered, and that the site will load once the traffic has calmed down a bit."
Im going to assume this is correct. Theres no reason for them not to let you print out the coupon, in fact its to their benefit over fucking around the people going to the site, and the reinvigorated marketing of the product.

Although that doesnt make the marketing any less devious.
Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Chummy8

Diet Dr. Pepper = liquid awesome.

True Story.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Artie

Rowr - I think it's worth more for people to go to a store ask for a free dr. pepper, and the store clerk says "that won't work" and they buy the soda anyway.