How to quit smoking Pt. 7

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By singular

Well, what can I say. I got down to 3 a day. That's a minor success. But far better is that I'll know by tomorrow if I have a new job at Quanta Computer Germany where I'll repair notebooks. And hey... I'm looking forward to srewing opnen notebooks 8 hours a day together with a bunch of nerds like me. It beats the shit out of the part time gas station clerk role I'm playing right now. Not to mention the triple salary :D Whish me luck for tomorrow.

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By singular

Well, what can I say. I got down to 3 a day. That's a minor success. But far better is that I'll know by tomorrow if I have a new job at Quanta Computer Germany where I'll repair notebooks. And hey... I'm looking forward to srewing opnen notebooks 8 hours a day together with a bunch of nerds like me. It beats the shit out of the part time gas station clerk role I'm playing right now. Not to mention the triple salary :D Whish me luck for tomorrow.

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

Good Luck even though I'm sure you will not need it :)

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TwoOneFive

why quit?

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By singular

Because I've heard a rumor that it is bad for your health and I want to test it's validy.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

You're going to be bored to tears fixing laptops if it's continuous like that.

Also, everyone I know that has tried to quit, save 2 people who quit 20+ years ago, has
failed to quit.  You better give up entirely, but I bet you can't.  They say the addiction is
in the holding of the cigarette, the inhaling & exhaling, the relaxing. I think most people
can't quit. What's more, many people increase the number they smoke as they get
older.  Good luck though.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Absurd
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
" You're going to be bored to tears fixing laptops if it's continuous like that.Also, everyone I know that has tried to quit, save 2 people who quit 20+ years ago, hasfailed to quit.  You better give up entirely, but I bet you can't.  They say the addiction isin the holding of the cigarette, the inhaling & exhaling, the relaxing. I think most peoplecan't quit. What's more, many people increase the number they smoke as they getolder.  Good luck though. "
My dad gave up smoking when he agreed to moving to Canada. From what my mom told me, he just threw out his last pack and never had a smoke again. I find it a bit hard to believe though.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LiquidPrince
@TwoOneFive said:
" why quit? "
Maybe to get the Grim Reaper off your back.
avarix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By avarix

I gave up smoking in February, be prepared to still have cravings months later. Many people will tell you that the cravings fade away quickly, but they don't.

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By singular
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
"You're going to be bored to tears fixing laptops if it's continuous like that.Also, everyone I know that has tried to quit, save 2 people who quit 20+ years ago, hasfailed to quit.  You better give up entirely, but I bet you can't.  They say the addiction isin the holding of the cigarette, the inhaling & exhaling, the relaxing. I think most peoplecan't quit. What's more, many people increase the number they smoke as they getolder.  Good luck though."

Dude... you're one block of negativity. Everything ok?

Anyway my gramps stopped to smoke because his doc told him he had to die if he'd continue. Later he figured that everyone essentially has to die and he startes smoking again. He died a year after that from a heart attack. I'm not really trying to stop because of health reasons. I just think it's an useless habit that has absolutly no merit. Only flaws.
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
" You're going to be bored to tears fixing laptops if it's continuous like that.Also, everyone I know that has tried to quit, save 2 people who quit 20+ years ago, hasfailed to quit.  You better give up entirely, but I bet you can't.  They say the addiction isin the holding of the cigarette, the inhaling & exhaling, the relaxing. I think most peoplecan't quit. What's more, many people increase the number they smoke as they getolder.  Good luck though. "
Wow you are so encouraging.
I think its great that he's quitting.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince
@SinGulaR said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
"You're going to be bored to tears fixing laptops if it's continuous like that.Also, everyone I know that has tried to quit, save 2 people who quit 20+ years ago, hasfailed to quit.  You better give up entirely, but I bet you can't.  They say the addiction isin the holding of the cigarette, the inhaling & exhaling, the relaxing. I think most peoplecan't quit. What's more, many people increase the number they smoke as they getolder.  Good luck though."
Dude... you're one block of negativity. Everything ok? "
He's just scared of the Grim Reaper that's been floating around.
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hatking

I went about three or four months without smoking no problem...I guess I'm not addicted?  Anyway I really only like to smoke when I am drunk...okay well that is a lot but still.  Good luck to you though, but it is really quite good when you're shit faced and smoking...nothing quite like that.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tekmojo

Personally I like to go with the occasional cigar, it's more satisfying IMO. Piped or wood-tipped flavored tobacco is also a nice alternative, and isn't as readily accessible if you still want to smoke but keep it more leisure rather than frequent stress managing.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#14  Edited By Vinchenzo

Going to quit smoking? I applaud you. Hope you don't have a relapse like my dad though; he quit for 5 or so years and is at it again. Thankfully he smokes in the garage, not the house, but I still hate it. Good luck with the job I guess. Did you need any college education to be eligible for this job?

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By singular

College education for repairing notebooks? I don't think so ;) It's just simple electronics and I'm not even required to solder anything.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By jonnyboy

Good for you! I quit when my daughter was born 8 years ago. You never really lose that urge though, It's a hard fight but winnable. 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By penguindust

It's been approximately 1 year since I quit.  I don't remember exactly what day it was, but it was around mid July last year.  I used to miss it, but now I don't.  It was an expensive hobby anyway.  Now I can use that money on more video games...HA! Still an addict either way.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@TwoOneFive said:
" why quit? "

1. I'll have fewer wrinkles.

2. After the first year, I'll have saved enough for a Caribbean cruise.

3. My breath will smell better than my dog's.

4. After the second year, I can spend the money I saved on the person I met on last year's Caribbean cruise.

5. I'll be around to see my grandchildren.

6. I won't have to worry about impotence with my new wife, whom I met on the Caribbean cruise two years ago. 7. I won't have to go outside between courses at a restaurant.

8. There are new drugs that can help, including bupropion (Zyban).

9. My physician won't need to "counsel" me anymore.

10. I'll live longer.

11. I won't feel like a leper in public.

12. I won't have to worry about how smoking is ruining my health.

13. The average person tries to stop smoking at least four times before succeeding. I'm on No. 3, and I don't want to be average.

14. I won't have to hide my habit from my children.

15. My fingers won't get frostbitten when I go outside.

16. I'll be able to exercise more.

17. In time, I'll have the same life expectancy as a nonsmoker.

18. My cat won't get emphysema.

19. I'll cough less.

20. I'll be able to taste and smell food again.

21. My children will have fewer ear and respiratory infections.

22. My lipstick won't smudge.

23. I won't have to wonder if my date is bothered by cigarette smoke.

24. My teeth will be whiter.

25. I won't waste time looking for a smoking area everywhere I go.

26. No more wheezing.

27. I won't have to listen to talk about what it's like to kiss an ashtray.

28. The same drug (Zyban) that can help me stop smoking can also help prevent weight gain.

29. My plants won't turn brown.

30. My baby will be at lower risk for sudden infant death syndrome.

31. My fingers won't turn brown.

32. It's one less thing to carry around.

33. My lungs won't turn brown.

34. No more burning holes in my clothes.

35. My spouse will be less likely to develop heart disease or lung cancer.

36. I'll have to pull off the road only when I need gas.

37. My car won't reek.

38. I won't need to look forward to receiving oxygen through a nasal tube.

39. My house won't reek.

40. I'll save my unborn child from nicotine withdrawal.

41. I won't reek.

42. I'll be able to play with my grandchildren without gasping.

43. I won't have to feel second class anymore.

44. No more nicotine fits on airplanes.

45. I'll have more energy.

46. I'll save money on dry cleaning.

47. I'll make new friends.

48. I'll be able to get rid of something that is controlling my life.

49. I'll be a good role model for my children.

50. I'm ready.

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

.... you know the Mustache Hero has a point

I wish the best of luck to you. My dad had a really hard time trying to quit, but he managed and is okay. He says his life is much better! So again, I wish you luck!
Peloquin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Peloquin

I quit about 2yrs ago and am oh so very glad that I did. I found that you have to change your lifestyle if you're serious about quitting. For example you can't go out drinking like you used to or eat junk food and laze about (if you do) and expect that you wont end up smoking by the end of the night. Instead of smoking I took up exercising and drinking lots and lots of water. You just don't feel like a cigarette after going for a run or walk and drinking a ltr of water. I used to be overweight and couldn't run for 2 minutes without coughing up a lung...now am pretty fit and go running an hour every night.

Wont ever look back :)

Good luck man!!

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@SinGulaR said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
Dude... you're one block of negativity. Everything ok?  "
Yes.  It's one of my many strengths.  I've watched a lot of people try to quit, only to pick it back up again. They can't get it out of their brains.  Best way to quit smoking is never start.  On the other hand, smokers are never quitters. I guess that's one upbeat thing I can say about 'em. :)

johnrachells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By johnrachells

Hi,
       The best way to quit smoking is controlling your mind.Since you are strongly wish to quit smoking then only you can quit it.
But any I can suggest you one blog there is nice information  on this topic and it is specially created for that purpose only.You can be redirected to that blog by clicking the link 
best way-to-quit-smoking

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FunExplosions
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
" @SinGulaR said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
Dude... you're one block of negativity. Everything ok?  "
Yes.  It's one of my many strengths.  I've watched a lot of people try to quit, only to pick it back up again. They can't get it out of their brains.  Best way to quit smoking is never start.  On the other hand, smokers are never quitters. I guess that's one upbeat thing I can say about 'em. :)"

i could name you like every single kid at a party i went to two nights ago. every one of them was from my old high school or one of the neighboring ones. anyway, it's been three years since highschool, and these kids smoke, many don't have jobs, and aren't in school. a bunch of them dropped out of high school, even. so if you can lump 'em all in one category and say that smokers are never quitters, then i can say that smokers are definitely quitters. quitters, because quitting actually requires work.
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By Hamst3r

Good luck.

Once you have finally quit, If we meet, I will give you a hug as hetero or as homo as you want it.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By KaosAngel

There hasn't been a single shread of proof that smoking can kill you.  The liberal media plays out anything to make corporations die.  Hell, the president of Camel has children to feed...do you not feel guilty for not allowing his children to live a happy life?  

Tell me one person who died while smoking, and I'm not talking about the liberal media assuming lung cancer has to deal with smoking.

I would be honored working for a corporation like Black Water, Air SCAN, and Camel.

I say, smoke all you want.  Watch a movie called Thank You For Smoking.  After seeing it years ago, I've decided that smoking isn't bad...it's the media that makes it bad.

EDIT:  Before anyone jumps on me, think about it realisticlly like a businessman.  You have a choice to smoke or not to smoke.  Why should someone force to you to do either.  I'm glad the TC is quitting because my family has a long history of bad smokers...and I don't smoke.  However!  This is America and people should be given the choice...without being judged.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By turbomonkey138

smoking is dumb . However i always smoke when i drink . I really dont know why im so hypocritical

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

Best way to quit smoking is to buy an E-cigarette.

They seem to work wonderfully.
Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Damian
@Dr_Feelgood38: I bought an e-cig. And although I haven't been able to quit using it regularily, it does make cutting down REALLY easy. 

@SinGulaR: Good luck! Try reading Alan Carr's book, "the easy way to stop smoking". Dude's got a different take on it, and I found it enlightening to read. There is not easier way than to simply STOP. But that of course is always easier said than done, seeing how the addictive chemicals in cigarettes fool your mind into so many false positives (number one being "I'm cool" and number two being "I'm doing something worthwhile"). 

Anyway, I truly wish you luck. I wish all of us smokers luck. It'd be great to wake up tomorrow and have that garbage erased from store shelves and everyone's memories. But it seems we gotta do things the long way, and stop through our own free will.
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By singular

Thanks for all the good wishes. I'm still going strong. No cigarette since last week thursday.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By penguindust
@SinGulaR said:
" Because I've heard a rumor that it is bad for your health and I want to test it's validy. "
Keep at it SinGulaR.  Quitting won't be easy, but it is a good idea.  In addition to the health benefits, there is the expense and the stink.  Cigarette smoke is smelly, but if you are a smoker, you never notice it.  It can also discolor your teeth.  I quite just over a year ago after 18 years of the habit.  Good for you to try and avoid that lengthy a period of full-flavored idiocy. 
sealog444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sealog444

I quit in april 08' so getting toward a year and a half, the three best things for me was changing my lifestyle, going cold turkey, and don't hang out with friends that smoke till you think you can handle it.  some of my best friends smoked, and them going out side to smoke was the hardest thing for me to resist. Ride the exictement of a new job to help you keep you off them.  I changed jobs right when i quit and it changed how I lived.  Jobs where you are bored make it impossible to quit.  Best of Luck, the first 2 weeks are the hardest, and for me it got hard again around week 5.  The smell of a fresh cig still makes me want one, even after all this time.