How Video Games Saved My Life

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By evilrazer

"Bye duders, thanks for playing. You gonna be online tomorrow? Fantastic, send me an invite when you'll be in the game Tim. Good night, guys." - that's what I said to my DOTA2 buddies, before going to bed around 2 o'clock in the morning. Oh how naive I was...

It was the beginning of summer, I was done with my finals. Bachelors degree was in the bag. Second of June promised to be a usual day. Wake up around 9 o'clock, drag myself to the bathroom, brush my teeth, do day-to-day job, play dotes with my buddies in the afternoon, sleep, do it all over again. I had no idea what I was up for...

Loud noises outside woke me up around 5 o'clock in the morning. I have not had enough sleep, so I had to close the window, thought it was just a thunderstorm, but I have quickly realized there was not a single cloud in the sky. Gunshots and explosions. That's what it was. I've never heard anything like that in my life, so I was confused at first. Is it really happening outside? What should I do? How should I behave in this situation? Should I call the police? Can't trust the police anymore...

I checked the internet and realized that military base located nearby my apartment building was being hit by pro-russian separatists. It was unsafe to stay in my apartment, in my home city Luhansk or Ukraine. It took me half an hour to grab everything I could carry from my apartment. Money, documents, clothes, car keys. I called my buddy who lived nearby, we jumped in his car and fled on the other side of the city.

Thirty minutes later we were downtown Luhansk, far enough to feel safe and secure. We were scared, but relieved that we were alright and the most important alive. Suddenly we heard and felt the explosion on the left, car windows shattered inside, covering us in glass... We were driving past local city hall when something went off, powerful enough to make us deaf for the next two hours.

I don't have a lot of friends in other Ukrainian cities, but I had to pick a place to go to as soon as possible. Odessa? Sure. I can figure something out. Whilst on the train I pulled my steam friends list to see weather I have anyone who lives in Odessa. I found a guy who I've been playing Team Fortress 2 with, but that was six years ago. I've never seen him in real life and I've never talked to him outside voice chat. Does he even remember me? Apparently he did. He offered me to stay with him in Odessa until things get quiet, but they never did.

I have not fully realized at that time that I might never see my home ever again, thought everything was temporary, so I was planning my next move. I didn't have a lot of cash, that's why I thought of calling my buddy in Kiev, who I met through Left 4 Dead six or seven years ago. Since then we've been constantly hanging out on mumble and I have even met him in person a couple of times.

In a couple of days I was in Kiev, my friend rented out small studio apartment for me, so I could look for a job and eventually pay him back the rent. I knew it was not gonna be easy, but I didn't know it was going to be next to impossible, thanks to racism towards people from Eastern Ukraine. I've nailed a couple of interviews on a position I was interested in, but was refused both of them after they saw my ID. "We don't support terrorists", "Why are you not fighting the war you started", "Look for a job in your city". That's what I heard not only from shitty fast food places, but from voice-over studios I was trying to get into.

I was running out of money and for the last three hundred dollars I bought a ticket to Czech Republic and asked for asylum at customs. I have not been home for three months and I don't think I'm gonna be able to come back to Ukraine. I have no idea what has happened to my apartments, my possessions or my car. Everything I was working for is gone, I can't contact most of my friends and colleagues.

War never changes, I guess.

I just wanna thank some amazing people at Giantbomb who were helping me get through this tough time, props to my Dota2 buddies, as well as people I met through Steam who offered me food and shelter at the time of need.

Duders, never take your real life friends or internet buddies for granted. There might be a time when they will ask you for a favor or you might be so helpless that you won't have anyone to rely upon, but people you've only played a video game with.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Thought-provoking story, brother.

I can't say I disagree with your decision to GTFO. Sticking around to defend your possessions has inevitable victimization written all over it, from one group or another or a third group, even.

You have my sympathy though. The whole situation is industrial-strength fucked.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Wish you the best of luck, man. Glad to hear there are good people out there willing to help out.

cannedstingray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit dude,glad you made it out and hope things go well for you. Sorry to hear about your apt and car, but as you are well aware, material things come and go. Anyway, glad you are safe and best of luck to you.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's awesome that you were able to rely on people who were practically strangers when you really needed help.

What's the story with your degree? Have you been able to contact your university? It may seem petty in comparison to your life, but I think having an education would greatly benefit somebody in your position.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Grillbar

for me this entire story is so far from my normal day to day so that it feels surreal, even fake.
i know thats not the case. and dispite all the terrible things you had to go though i hope that everything will be better. im not good with word but hopefully you know what im trying to say

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By Forcen

I'm glad you're alright, if you ever end up more north let me know.

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By evilrazer

@spoonman671 said:

What's the story with your degree? Have you been able to contact your university? It may seem petty in comparison to your life, but I think having an education would greatly benefit somebody in your position.

My actual diploma is still at the university I was studying at. I have not been able to receive it, whilst I left in the beginning of June. Apparently to continue my studies abroad (or at least in Europe) scanned diploma is enough. Before my uni closed down for good, I wrote my buddies so they would send me those scans.

Unfortunately I can't apply this year, I'm just a bit too late, but next year I would be able to get my major or at least I hope so.

@grillbar said:

for me this entire story is so far from my normal day to day so that it feels surreal, even fake.

Even though I went through it I still can not fully comprehend the fact that I might just never see my home ever again.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God damn, I honestly can't imagine being in that situation at all. It's also frustrating to hear about the discrimination you faced once you got out of there. People seriously said those kind of things to you? What a bunch of fucking assholes. I have no idea what the law is like in Ukraine, but if that happened here they would get into so much legal trouble that it's not even funny.

It's nice to hear that you had friends to help you out though when it really came down to it, and I hope you'll eventually manage to return home. I don't know how I would react if I was in your shoes, but it's good to hear that you're at least making the most of it.

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By evilrazer

@forcen: Thank you so much for your support, buddy.

@random45 said:

God damn, I honestly can't imagine being in that situation at all. It's also frustrating to hear about the discrimination you faced once you got out of there. People seriously said those kind of things to you? What a bunch of fucking assholes. I have no idea what the law is like in Ukraine, but if that happened here they would get into so much legal trouble that it's not even funny.

It's nice to hear that you had friends to help you out though when it really came down to it, and I hope you'll eventually manage to return home. I don't know how I would react if I was in your shoes, but it's good to hear that you're at least making the most of it.

Last four years I've been working remotely for a certain Ukrainian dubbing studio. I was doing pretty good job and I was told that by the editor in chief on numerous occasions. When I moved to Kiev, where their offices are located, and asked them to register me officially, they replied: "In current political situation we don't want to hurt our reputation or have any troubles with the government". They wouldn't pick up the phone after that conversation.

I have started looking for a job in the same field, since I'm qualified to do it and it's the only thing I've trained myself to do good enough to make a living. There are two more studios in Kiev, they were eager to talk to me and I landed interviews with both of them. As soon as they saw my ID, I heard racist comments towards me and place I live, even though that personally I have nothing to do with the conflict in the eastern part of Ukraine.

I can't officially work in Czech Republic until I receive a decision regarding my case from Ministry of Interior, but I keep freelancing at Russian dubbing studio to support myself.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@evilrazer: Damn this was really intense. I've seen a lot of stories/blogs with that headline, but most don't actually mean nearly as much as you obviously did.

Glad you are ok, I think you made the exact right choice to leave. Stay safe duder.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Thanks for sharing your life experience with us! Cheers

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Damn. I can't imagine what it's like to just wake up one day leave your old life behind on a whim. I'm glad that you've met some good people online to help you with that transition. Good to hear that you are safe duder.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BisonHero  Online

Glad to hear you're safe, duder. I hope you can figure something out for your job. Can't even begin to imagine what it's like to lose your home due to this kind of conflict.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thatpinguino  Staff

I'm glad you're ok. I have co-workers of Ukrainian decent and ever since the conflict started they have been trying to get their friends jobs in the US to get them out of their. I wish that there was something we could do. Is their any way to apply for asylum in a different countries now that you are out of Ukraine? Maybe a country that be better for you long term. Regardless, I hope you get to return home some time soon.

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By evilrazer
@thatpinguino said:

Is their any way to apply for asylum in a different countries now that you are out of Ukraine? Maybe a country that be better for you long term.

Czech Republic definitely was not my first choice, but unfortunately it was my only option. I had valid visa, because I wanted to visit Prague in the summer. I guess my dream came true, but I have to stick here a while longer I guess. The only problem here for me will be finding a job. Most of the people I've communicated here do not know English. Maybe that's me being a bit ignorant and I should learn Czech faster. Obviously any English speaking country would be much more fitting for me, but I don't really have any friends in US, Canada or Australia powerful enough to help me with a job offer. Sticking here for the time being.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After reading this I'm glad that you are in a better situation good sir.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

That's deep, only hearing about this stuff on the news makes it seem so far removed, but your story made the whole situation more real to me. Wish you all the best.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilrazer:

That is pretty brutal.

I am sorry that your life has been taken away from you, and I hope that you are able to find it again someday.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Puts things into perspective man.

Good luck dude with things over there.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hear a lot about the situation in Eastern Ukraine, but I don't think it really hits home about how Putin is ruining people's lives until you read someone's story on a website like this. I hope the Czech Republic grants you asylum.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

I wish you the best of luck!

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you so much for your support, duders! You can not believe how important it is to hear some encouraging words right now.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for sharing and good luck! It's nice so see the proof of good gaming communities right now with all the negativity. Hope everything works out.

Althox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Shit man, hope you're alright though and I'm happy to hear you're safe! And as @forcen said, if you end up here, let us know.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AMyggen

Hope everything works out for you, duder!

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I have an uninformed opinion on Ukraine, but this isn't the place to share it.

I'm really sorry for your circumstances. Come to Australia, it's nicer here. If you hit a rough patch in your voice dubbing gig you can always try getting some small jobs here for some extra change. Gaming may be an important way for you to 'recharge' after a long day so I hope that somehow you can get your fix so that there is still something to enjoy. You may even meet a romantic interest in your new area. That would be fun ;)

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Incredible. Thank you for sharing this with us.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit evil, I didn't know, hope you're doing alright.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#30 FinalDasa  Moderator

Wow, what a crazy and intense story. Thanks for sharing.

Fly53Corps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fantastic OP.

pinkbelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow, real life is REAL

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@evilrazer: Probably one of the best stories I've read about the value of having friends on the internet. Sorry to hear about you getting displaced due to war though, man! :(

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really glad that you were able to get out of there mostly un hurt.

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you acted fast and that may saved your life/liberty. Thpight provoking indeed, especially cause my country is right next to ukraine(thanks god we are part of nato).

slipcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you get a job and make it to the US but need a place to stay message me!

heyupikablu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting uprooted from your home like that would be one of the worst feelings. I hope you make it through dude. I'm sure there are enough of us out there to get you back on your feet. =)

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you so much for your kind words, duders. It's extremely important for me to hear something encouraging, especially now.

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@jeust said:

Thanks for sharing your life experience with us! Cheers

I would also like to add that it's interesting to see you were able to foster enough of a connection with people online -Steam friends, even- they were willing to help you out in a time of true crisis. This must say something significant about your character as a person.

It actually encourages me to play with some people online or talk more on forums.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dan_CiTi

I hope you can get back on your feet and get your stuff soon, even if it may mean straight up moving for a while. That whole situation sounds very scary. If it happened to me I'd freak out. Good luck out there duder, you're a smart guy.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

wow, wow

Majkiboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Keep it up man! I have never been through shit like this but I always help a friend out! It is easily forgotten how much that means to people. Help each other out!

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

O_O OH MY GAWD!! That is really something else. I'm really happy that someone was able to help you in your time of need... and you know what... I would have too if I knew you.

... I was suffering depression and Giant Bomb helped me. I've never really admitted this before until now, but I was saved from suicide. I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT, IT'S IN THE PAST!! You just never know how much an online person can help till you've experienced it.