• 64 results
arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By arkasai

This is probably the wrong forum for this, but I'd still like to see what people think.  If you could completely restructure the US' political system into something you thought was ideal, or at least better, what would it be?  I'm leaving this open to whatever serious conjecture or ludicrous Ronald Reagan resurrection wet dreams you guys might be having.    

I feel like our checks and balances do more harm than good, because it halts progress in all directions.  The system is seemingly designed to be very difficult to get anything done.  I kind of like the British parliament system, all members of parliament are more or less equal (in my understanding) and one party assumes almost total control.  It sounds dangerous allowing one political ideology control of the whole country, radical changes could take place from one regime to the next.  Despite that I'd still rather see things attempted and fail than see nothing ever get off the ground due to bickering.  

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By nemt

Throw the President and Congress in prison for treason and just declare myself El Presidente (for life).
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By damnboyadvance

But checks and balances also makes sure one branch doesn't gain too much power. It's not a perfect system, but it's the best we got.

If I was given the ability to "fix" our government, I don't think I would. It's probably way too complicated for someone like me to completely understand.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

Monarchy all the way.

LibraryDues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By LibraryDues

I would repeal the 17th Amendment.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

There is no perfect political system.  No matter how one might try to fix the flaws found, new flaws will always become evident.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Lower the pay in Congress, make the only reason anyone would want to work there to actually get something important done.  Make sure taking a bribe will get you in some serious shit.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By animateria

No clue. 

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Cincaid

1) Put your pointing finger between your lips.
2) Make sound with your throat and exhale.
3) Move finger up and down between lips.

Pretty much summarizes politics for me.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sameeeeam
@Hailinel said:
" There is no perfect political system.  No matter how one might try to fix the flaws found, new flaws will always become evident. "
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By melcene

Declare myself president for the next 30 years, and when people finally start to get mad, tell them I wasn't planning on running in the next election anyway. 

Oh wait...

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nemt
@Make_Me_Mad said:

"Lower the pay in Congress, make the only reason anyone would want to work there to actually get something important done.  Make sure taking a bribe will get you in some serious shit. "

Because Congressmen/Senators aren't usually independently wealthy long before they get elected, right? 

How much do you think they get paid, anyway?  Their annual salary is about $150k, which is well above the US average but it's hardly boats & hos money.
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Andorski

I would have Anonymous make every governmental decision. 

Then I would sit back and see how Anonymous' political leanings are just as ass backwards as those currently in power.

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By arkasai
@Video_Game_King said:
" Monarchy all the way. "
I kind of feel like America treats its  presidents more like monarchs than in other countries, hell we call his family the "first family."  You're even called "Mr. President" for the rest of your life if you become president.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Dalai

No Ronald Reagan resurrection, eh? Would you accept some type of Robo-Reagan?

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By arkasai
@nemt said:
" @Make_Me_Mad said:

"Lower the pay in Congress, make the only reason anyone would want to work there to actually get something important done.  Make sure taking a bribe will get you in some serious shit. "

Because Congressmen/Senators aren't usually independently wealthy long before they get elected, right?  How much do you think they get paid, anyway?  Their annual salary is about $150k, which is well above the US average but it's hardly boats & hos money. "
I also feel like there should be campaign spending caps again, politics is the only line of work you can literally buy your position.
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rayfield

Elect Sarah Palin in 2012.  Wait, hear me out. 

Once she's in office and pisses off every other country on the planet and inevitably leads everyone into World War 3 while her voters think OH GOD WHAT HAVE WE WROUGHT HOCKEY MOM, the surface of the earth will scorched with fire due to her firing countless payloads of weapons at brown people. Then as the survivors try to rebuild Fallout-style, the US government will elect a cute little dachsund named Colin as President. Because hey, why not? 

Too much?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Arkasai: 

The only problem is that you guys don't go full-on with your system. They get the perks of being a King, but the system gets none of those perks. Everything's elected, and it's elected by dumbasses.
danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By danimal_furry

The answer is very simple: Reduce the power of politicians (especially the President)  and make them be held more accountable. US citizens have slowly given away all of their power over the entire history of this country. Meanwhile, Congress (the people's voice in the government) has given more and more power to the President. Also, today's politician has to do something purely evil to ever be held accountable, which means they never are. No one publicizes the lobby money these people recieve, and there are always secret deals and conversations. The American public has a right to know everything their representatives are doing, and the details of their backdoor dealings. Over all, it seems politicians have forgotten they represent the populace, and only see the public as stupid sheep who are only good for votes and giving them tax dollars.

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nemt
@Arkasai said:
" @nemt said:
" @Make_Me_Mad said:

Because Congressmen/Senators aren't usually independently wealthy long before they get elected, right?  How much do you think they get paid, anyway?  Their annual salary is about $150k, which is well above the US average but it's hardly boats & hos money. "
I also feel like there should be campaign spending caps again, politics is the only line of work you can literally buy your position. "

SPOILERS: There are all kinds of campaign fundraising laws and restrictions, including ones related to just bankrolling yourself.
Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Origina1Penguin

The only thing I can think of is to get rid of lobbying. It seems too shady, like there's nothing but bribes and favors being exchanged.

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By arkasai
@nemt said:
" @Arkasai said:
" @nemt said:
" @Make_Me_Mad said:

I also feel like there should be campaign spending caps again, politics is the only line of work you can literally buy your position. "
SPOILERS: There are all kinds of campaign fundraising laws and restrictions, including ones related to just bankrolling yourself. "
True, but there's an equal number of ways to get around them.  I feel there should be a hard cap on how much money can be spent on any one campaign.  If it were up to me each candidate would have to raise every penny of their campaign fund with public contributions, no businesses or personal funds allowed.  And once you reach the cap you can't receive campaign contributions at all.  Hey it might even be a good test to see if a presidential candidate can efficiently manage a tight budget.  The system wouldn't work, I know that, people would cheat the fuck out of it anyway, business and politics have gone too far hand in hand to quit now.
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By habster3

Strip the whole system down and start again. Of course, this is neither practical nor probable. Even if we were to begin again, though, no government is perfect, so the new system would still have plenty of flaws.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SomeJerk

Fun fact: Thought Obamacare being struck down was bad? Iraq and Afghanistan both have universal health-care in their constitutions after being taken over and rebooted by the US, and your tax-payer money goes there.

..so I think nothing can be done. No matter what happens, senators will still have their votes purchased. Senators and governors and judges will still be driven by personal private opinions and brainwashing. Elsewhere similar discussions to this are going on, people are looking to Egypt for inspiration.

We'll take care of you if you decide to move to Europe guys, we enjoy your accents and think you're fun to be around because you're all exotic to us.

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nemt

Iraq and Afghanistan wrote their own constitutions.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Make me President. I'll show ya how it's done.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ryanwho
@Andorski said:
" I would have Anonymous make every governmental decision.  Then I would sit back and see how Anonymous' political leanings are just as ass backwards as those currently in power. "
You mean policies revolving around stalking 12 year old girls wouldn't fix the economy?
Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Prevent corporations from having the same rights as people also cap donations.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Famov

While there are some very compelling arguments to the contrary, I fully support term limits for our wonderful Congressmen.

This might be an entirely disastrous change. The constitutional amendment process is convoluted precisely to prevent disastrous changes from collapsing the whole system. It's probably why we don't have a marriage amendment (among a bunch of other frivolous and/or dangerous amendments), and if we had a constitutional convention like some other places, we may very well now have one.  

The people wanting to start from scratch really do not understand what an accomplishment the American system actually is. It's a worthwhile institution! I promise!

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By arkasai
@hidys said:
" Prevent corporations from having the same rights as people also cap donations. "
You mean the people making the decisions for those companies should be held accountable, not the company right?  This makes sense, as this loop hole allows for all manner of white collar crime and ethics violations.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho

But for serious, America is full of people who are positive they could run America better. So the best, easiest thing to do would be to abolish Representative Democracy and uphold your oldschool Athens style Direct Democracy. Then when something stupid gets voted in, you can't point at some dinosaur in the Senate. Your vote made this happen now live with it. If its based on individuals and not on states and precincts, then the dense populations where over half of America lives will get their say, and they lean left, and internet knowitalls are fans of the left, right? So a direct democracy would fix things, assuming you agree with progressive policies and assuming as many individuals lean that way as you think, and they're not too busy to vote on a weekly basis. We can raise the deficit cieling every month, it'll be fun. We can watch federal mandates slide away as individual interests take center stage. Its hard to argue against a direct democracy unless you still think the peasants aren't smart enough to allocate their own interests, like the founding fathers did. Literacy is slightly higher now, maybe we're ready.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Video_Game_King said:
Of course you would say that!  You are a monarch yourself!
Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

Follow Jeff's route that he was taking in Tropico 3. Seemed pretty good to me. 

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By rollingzeppelin

The biggest problem with the American political system right now is the lobbyists from huge corporations. The best thing for the country would be to get rid of those, but it would be a difficult and delicate process, I don't really know how you could go about changing it, probably no one does, which is why it still exists.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Video_Game_King
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
Of course you would say that!  You are a monarch yourself! "
And you expected something different?
Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bribo

Representatives would have to earn their place through gladiatorial combat.

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By arkasai
@RollingZeppelin said:
" The biggest problem with the American political system right now is the lobbyists from huge corporations. The best thing for the country would be to get rid of those, but it would be a difficult and delicate process, I don't really know how you could go about changing it, probably no one does, which is why it still exists. "
Yes we need to limit the role of lobbyist in politics, they're another huge source of corruption and shady ethics in Washington.  People like Jack Abramoff are poster children for lobbying gone horrifically wrong.  
eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By eskimo

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Legalize da purp brah. 

No but seriously I have no idea what to do. If it counts for anything I like what Ryanwho said.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ryanwho

I don't know the logistics of doing a direct democracy on a country this big (population wise). If a medium size country could volunteer to try it out first, that'd be cool. Canada, you game? Brazil, help a bro out. 
Most people have cell phones or iPads or whatever, seems like modern technology makes direct democracy feesable in larger countries basically for the first time ever. If nothing else, it kind of eliminates the lobbying aspect in its current incarnation. Its a bit harder to buy a whole city.

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By blueaniman93
@Arkasai said:
" This is probably the wrong forum for this, but I'd still like to see what people think.  If you could completely restructure the US' political system into something you thought was ideal, or at least better, what would it be?  I'm leaving this open to whatever serious conjecture or ludicrous Ronald Reagan resurrection wet dreams you guys might be having.      I feel like our checks and balances do more harm than good, because it halts progress in all directions.  The system is seemingly designed to be very difficult to get anything done.  I kind of like the British parliament system, all members of parliament are more or less equal (in my understanding) and one party assumes almost total control.  It sounds dangerous allowing one political ideology control of the whole country, radical changes could take place from one regime to the next.  Despite that I'd still rather see things attempted and fail than see nothing ever get off the ground due to bickering.   "
completely agree with you, arkasai 
it takes so long to put something in effect in this country 
the best example would be healthcare 
we definitely need to streamline our checks and balances system because the government is not very adaptive this way 
TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By TomA
@Arkasai said:
" This is probably the wrong forum for this "
Then why did you post it here.
Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Burzmali

I've always thought that our voting system should give everyone two ways to vote regarding political candidates: for or against. Everyone still gets one vote, but you could vote for someone (like we already do now), or you could vote against someone. A vote against actually would nullify someones vote for that candidate. Then whoever has the most positive, non-nullified votes at the end would win. This would allow third party candidates to be viable, since no one is going to vote against third parties, and the two main parties would likely garner quite a few votes against. That system would also help with the whole voting for x because you can't stand y. Now you could simply vote against y rather than for x. 

This wouldn't directly fix how things are run, but I think it would cause a lot more churn in the system. If part of the problem is stagnation, then churn is the solution.

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By arkasai
@TomA said:
" @Arkasai said:
" This is probably the wrong forum for this "
Then why did you post it here. "
Why did YOU post in here, is a more valid question.  But to answer your question I wasn't expecting to get many serious answers, but then again threads like these wouldn't be any fun with 100% serious conversation.
L4Dplaya19103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By L4Dplaya19103

Buy every Rage Against The Machine album and force all your friends to listen to them, and then have them have there friends and so on and so forth until the entire country is loving RATM. next thing you know we overthrow the capitalist pigs in D.C. and the people have the power.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

replace it with anarchy...the purest form of democracy and expression of individual freedom.  

*runs from topic never to return*

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By YoThatLimp
@Make_Me_Mad said:
" Lower the pay in Congress, make the only reason anyone would want to work there to actually get something important done.  Make sure taking a bribe will get you in some serious shit. "
Thats how New Zealand is (I am american). I think that makes sense, it should be a civil service, not a career.
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#50  Edited By StarvingGamer

Kill it!  Kill it with fire!