How would you rate the new Giant Bomb at launch?

• 87 results
TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll How would you rate the new Giant Bomb at launch? (383 votes)

5 out of 5. 12%
4 out of 5. 32%
3 out of 5. 25%
2 out of 5. 13%
1 out of 5. 4%
Anyone. 3%
Need more time to decide. 11%

CBSi has just released the latest site in the long-running Giant Bomb series.

The developer, led by visionary programmer Dave Snider and video personality Jeff "The RAP Man" Gerstmann, took a big risk this time around and decided to build their own engine from the ground up, and now that it's out, how would you rate it? Do you see the potential or just the technical issues? Or do you need more time to decide?

I'm sure we will all be providing our own comprehensive reviews of the site in the days to come, but looking at the site in its current at-launch state, what do you say?

• 
Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Ghostiet

A 3 out of 5. It has a lot of potential, but silly stuff like forum feed got the axe for some reason, the design IMO tries to be a bit too "slick" for its own good - everything is so packed, but barely separated from each other - and so far the new player, even though it's miles better than the terrible Gamespot one, is completely jacked for me.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I like it. Main issues are with the video player, but it's a serious improvement from the previous player. I can skip to times in videos finally. I can't complain. 5 out of 5.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Forums are fixed, but I still think the forum section should be displayed on top of the topic title, not the other way around. But nonetheless 5 out of 5 stars for fixing it at all, and so quickly.

Some of my wiki pages have all my images removed, presumedly because my profile gallery has been wiped clean. I don't even know why images uploaded to a wiki were tied to my account in the first place. If I'm editing a wiki and upload an image, it should be obvious that the image is for the wiki entry, not my profile. 2 out of 5 stars.

Lastly I find I can't remove items from lists. I give it... a 3 stars out of 5.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to give it some more time, as judging it with first day issues isn't too fair.

Overall I enjoy it, but it'll take some time to adjust.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

Joke answer always.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By TheHT

Pretty cool, but I miss having the most recent forum threads on the homepage.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The only thing I don't like is the lack of forums on the front page.

At least, so far! Mwahahahaaaaa... . . .

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, if Jeff's philosophy of "don't ship broken pieces of shit" applies, 1/5 stars.

I'll be generous and give it two, though. Lots of potential, but crippling performance issues.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By RazielCuts

I keep seeing this guy more often than not -

No Caption Provided

But I guess that's to be expected for now, I'll just be happy when the 500'ing stops and the bombcast itunes feed is back on its feet. Everything else like the newer features will come in time.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pr1mus

2/5

The potential is there and i love the new design. But if we're being honest it was too early. Lots of bugs left and very unstable still.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well when the site stops giving me a 404 error on a 50% chance I will let you know. For now all I see are bugs, the forum feed is gone (bad), the new color scheme sucks (but it back to black/dark grey please), and all and all I really feel like it was a downgrade from the old site.

2/5

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cmblasko

5/5, technical issues notwithstanding I really like the design and am particularly impressed by the dynamic resizing capabilities which are well-implemented and really forward-thinking.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By BoOzak

I really liked the old design, maby the new one will grow on me, but so far i'm not feeling it. Everything's too damn big and the seperation between posts and it's alignment to the left bugs the shit out of me. Nit picking sure, but aside from it's looks and marginally improved video player (I just download them anyway) I cant find anything to complement sadly.

But I realise i've developed 'old man syndrome' of hating everything new and there's a high possibility that most my issues will be fixed since it seems i'm not the only one complaining about them. But as it is, 2/5.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Canteu

Should have stayed in beta, while they fixed the reams of issues.

@karkarov Press the little black A in the top right.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

Well when the site stops giving me a 404 error on a 50% chance I will let you know.For now all I see are bugs, the forum feed is gone (bad), the new color scheme sucks (but it back to black/dark grey please), and all and all I really feel like it was a downgrade from the old site.

2/5

No Caption Provided

Meepasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Meepasaurus

All I can do is wish them good luck in getting it back up to speed. I'm mostly concerned about the live show chat since it was crashing all the time during the beta.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine. Design wise, I think the video thumbnails are too large, both on the video page and the main page.

Aside from launch server bugs, it seems perfectly functional so no problems there.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By slax

There are things I really like about it, like the way threads are now displayed is pretty great. I also like that videos load properly for me now. But I'm also missing the front page schedule (Well color me embarrassed, it looks lovely as always. Was it there earlier? I feel like I couldn't find it yesterday.) and most recent forum threads out there too. But overall I think it has a lot of potential and waiting to see if some of that stuff gets added back in.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sad that the Recent Activity forum feed thing on the front page is gone. Rest seems fine I guess, errors aside.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

2500/5.

Grelik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3/5 main site is good enough, but IMO they really took the mobile site backwards a few steps. Tries too hard to look nice while throwing functionality and speed out the window. Using that terrible pop up menu as the main form of navigation from the main page is just awful. It's not instant and occasionally takes a second press to open then I have to try and press the right link in a menu jammed with tiny text links.

Old mobile site looked fine, ran quick and was functional (forums were much much better and readable as well). This update wasn't needed and didn't improve anything unfortunately. (Ehhh I'm being a little harsh bit still. The mobile site is 75% of the reason I subscribed in the first place)

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like all redesigns, I'll probably get used to it over time. I'm so used to the old design though, so it alienates me a bit at the moment.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus: I know. Maybe I should of emphasized the site errors more. I tried to change it multiple times and it didn't work until after I made the initial post. In fact that post is the first time the site has let me stay on it long enough to actually post at all.

Still 2/5 still a step backwards from what it was last week.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not counting the technical issues as thats being patched as we speak.

id say 4/5 visually its a much bigger step up from the original. and then vinny and drew, have said that loading video into this site is easier (so 3 hour unprofessional fridays are possible now)

but i feel like the sequel doesnt carry over some stuff that the fans loved from the original, as as of right now wallposts and your followers status updates are pointless and are mashed into a overall activity feed, which is jarring considering there is a big empty space in the profile pages. and also u can't see if your friends are online anymore.

and then removing the forums from the front page in favor of the staff's tweets and a super-curated community showcase i found to be a disappointing move.

but im optimistic that after a few title updates that it will be the best design yet though.

Grelik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to add one more thing (editing is kind of broken on mobile or I'd just edit my previous post).

When opening a forum topic that's related to a game, why does it have to show a full page of information about the game (or franchise) that is completely irrelevant that I then have to scroll past in order to read the forum post? Please move that stuff to the bottom of the page.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By dillonwerner

It's chillin yeah.

I'll have to get used to it though, I'm used to the old one

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

4/5. I'm warming up to the new look of the forums, but otherwise I really like it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

When it's more stable it will be all right. And, really, it's miraculous that they managed to make it go from barely usable yesterday to mostly usable today. I wish that I could get one of the video players to work right, though. So far "Progressive" is the only one that is dependable but I can't skip time with it; the rest I can skip time with but they don't really seem to want to work.

However, I do have some issues with design. For one, whenever someone quotes me and I look at the quote tree, all the text is centered and it's hard to tell which block of text belongs to which user; on top of that, it no longer tells which thread the quote is in, I just have to click the link on the word "comment". I think the front page looks a little too busy. I think there are a lot of other little nitpicks here and there that are just bugging me. Most of this stuff I'll get used to, but they've really gotta fix that quote tree issue and the comment issue.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It feels overly designed but not very functional. I really think this is a step down from the previous design. 2/5

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A strong 4/5. I'm in love with the site aesthetically and, with some hiccups and performance issues aside, I can only see this website being refined into something I absolutely love visiting daily.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

I miss the latest forum posts being on the front page. Also, I'm not quite sure whether we're supposed to take the connectivity issues into consideration. If so, I'd drop it to 3/5 solely due to my only being able to connect roughly 50% of the time. Otherwise, I'd say a 4/5. Possibly higher once I get a chance to write a few blogs and check out what's happening in the forums a bit to get a feel for the new site.

All in all though, great work.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4/5, great design. Really good job with this one, guys.

BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buggy has hell, they should have beta tested it

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I found a new thing to rate. When I am about to submit a wiki edit, it says my edits will have to be approved before going live, if I have under 1000 wiki points.

I don't know what that means, since I had well over 5000 wiki points on the old site. I don't know whether the new site wiped everyone's points back to 0. I don't know whether all wiki updates have to be approved now no matter how many points you have. I don't know whether my updates go live right away, and if maybe the message simply doesn't apply to me since I have more than 1000 points. I just.. don't know!

1.75 stars out of 5

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

2/5 for me. I really just prefer the old site. The forums are pretty terrible now too. It's kinda the exact same feeling I had for when Ars Technica had their site redesigned. I thought the old one was perfect, and the same goes for Giantbomb. I have to question why the redesign was necessary at all as well, and the functionality of the new layouts just reeks of "overdesigned".

Edit: Basically what this guy said:

It feels overly designed but not very functional. I really think this is a step down from the previous design. 2/5

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I'm still getting used to it, but I'm liking it so far, aside from the fact that I trip over error pages pretty frequently.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

4/5. Although there are issues, I recommend that people should experience the new Giantbombdotcom.

I was trying to look for the FAQ where they lay out what all their review scores mean, but I can't find it anywhere. Am I just being thick here?

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

's okay i guess?

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I don't feel that I've spent enough time using the site to respectfully appreciate it. .

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Zajtalan

2/5. beautiful site but damn so many connection problems

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3/5 just because there's some basic functionality stuff that's simply not working (e.g. set-top box apps, RSS feeds, page loads). It looks absolutely fantastic, though. There's really not even that much to get used to; everything's in place and has the potential to be great, but it's just a matter of waiting on functionality to get back to normal.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

I really like it so far, aside from the problems that will go away soon enough. Makes me really excited to get back to doing more wiki editing (even though I never stopped).

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just like with MMOs, there are no perfect launches but while that may be so, server crashings and bugs can't just be written off. There are also design issues I have, namely the lack of a forums section on the homepage. It was a vital part of why I visited Giant Bomb every single day and the absence of it, replaced by a Twitter feed that is rarely updated puzzles me. No doubt in days or weeks to come the site will fun superbly but right now it's been quite an unstable ride. 3/5.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I love it. I think it's a 5/5 considering these type of things never go smoothly. I also really like the new font(s). Everything just feels crisp. For the most part, the crew and engineering team did a great job.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mandude

Everything I initially felt was wrong with it has since been fixed. The ONLY problem I have with it now is that the forums are pushed way to the left, seemingly unconcerned the flow initiated by the navbar.

The font they use, might just be the sexiest font I have ever seen, though.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Overall, Giant Bomb website ver. 2013 is a mixed bag, but fans of the previous websites should check it out all the same. If you can deal with some 500 errors then you will probably have a good time. 3/5

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

5/5, because of the return of Luchadeer.