How young should someone be pushed into their career?

Avatar image for deactivated-58e52f575435f
deactivated-58e52f575435f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Seeing the Olympics we see how the societies in the world differ on the roles children should play and how they see adulthood different then the U.S. 

Chinese gymnast are chosen and molded at the age of 3, depending on how flexible they are.
Michael Phelps was molded by his swimming coach for the olympics at the age of 10-11. 

How young should someone's life be set in stone, are these kids really into it that age or are they "molded" into enjoying this at a young age?
ItalyCanadian9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ItalyCanadian9

Question mark?

Avatar image for ultimate_pwr_rngr
Ultimate_pwr_rngr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ultimate_pwr_rngr

The moment they are conceived.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Thrawn1
Cesb02 said:
"Seeing the Olympics we see how the societies in the world differ on the roles children should play and how they see adulthood different then the U.S. 
Chinese gymnast are chosen and molded at the age of 3, depending on how flexible they are.
Michael Phelps was molded by his swimming coach for the olympics at the age of 10-11. 

How young should someone's life be set in stone, are these kids really into it that age or are they "molded" into enjoying this at a young age?
"
i'm sure phelps could quit any day he wanted to. and doesn't he enjoy swimming? and don't the chinese girls enjoy doing gymnastics?
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By DualReaver

I don't think it should be any age, but pushing people to work hard towards their goals or just in general is good though.

Avatar image for ultimate_pwr_rngr
Ultimate_pwr_rngr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ultimate_pwr_rngr
Thrawn said:
"Cesb02 said:
"Seeing the Olympics we see how the societies in the world differ on the roles children should play and how they see adulthood different then the U.S. 

"
i'm sure phelps could quit any day he wanted to. and doesn't he enjoy swimming? and don't the chinese girls enjoy doing gymnastics?"
didint you know? in china, if you don't win a medal, they castrate you.
Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Demyx

Well, in the case of the olympics, you have to be prepared at a young age. It takes a lot of work to be in the olympics, and its just easier to mold kids at a young age. I'm sure most of them like what they're doing.

For other jobs, that usually happens in high school or college, to find out what you want to do for your life.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8  Edited By spiceninja

You should never push a child into a career.

xXTharosXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xXTharosXx
Ultimate_pwr_rngr said:
"The moment they are conceived."
ROFL
Avatar image for vash_the_stampede
Vash_The_Stampede

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just when they are ready to do it. Every person is different, so it is very difficult to set a standard or acceptable age for this sort of thing. If a child does show some potential, he shouldn´t be pushed into doing things and instead just let him pick his own pace...otherwise he will most likely be unhappy. There are a lot of very young kids who wan´t to build a career even before they turn 10, yet, that is their own decition.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Colonel_Cool
Ultimate_pwr_rngr said:
I think they should be pushed before they are conceived, and genetically engineered so that their sole purpose in life is to be a good athlete.
Avatar image for deactivated-58e52f575435f
deactivated-58e52f575435f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Colonel_Cool said:
"Ultimate_pwr_rngr said:
I think they should be pushed before they are conceived, and genetically engineered so that their sole purpose in life is to be a good athlete."
Thats how Yao Ming was created...... dam CHina is a genius!!!
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Commando

Thrawn said:

"Cesb02 said:

"
i'm sure phelps could quit any day he wanted to. and doesn't he enjoy swimming? and don't the chinese girls enjoy doing gymnastics?"
I was watching them talk about it, and actually it's not even their decision. The parents push the kids into doing it because gymnastics is HUGE in China. It brings their family money. The money goes to the family not the kids.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Black_Rose

If they didn't like what they do they wouldn't be doing it

Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Magnum

The way we do it is way better than the commies. The people of the free-world should have the right to choose when they start working at Kmart or McDonalds.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Commando
Black_Rose said:
"If they didn't like what they do they wouldn't be doing it"
They're communist. They don't have a choice.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Demilich
ItalyCanadian9 said:
"Question mark?"
Change your fucking avatar already god damn. You really are one creepy motherfucker.
Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Clean

When they are about to go to college

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Mrnitropb

Hardcore olympic athletic training is one different thing entirely.

How soon is too soon to tell someone, "YOU WILL BE A PATENT ATTORNEY!!" Or to say that this kid must be a software engineer, and this one a plumber, and this one a hair stylist, and this one an accountant.

I mean, isn' that pretty much how it works in Europe, you take a test when you're 13 and you're fucked? seems to my drunken sleep deprived mind, thats how it works. Hell, a barrister is just an undergraduate program!

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By Termite

I think the real athletes aren't the ones who are really pushed into it, they're just encouraged. The reason I object to the Chinese athletes is that those children had absolutely no say in whether or not they wanted to become an athlete. It's morally disgusting, they should be able to choose whether or not they want to when they are older.

It's not right to tell these children what they should do, they should float around a bit and decide for themselves.Mrnitropb said:

I mean, isn' that pretty much how it works in Europe, you take a test when you're 13 and you're fucked? seems to my drunken sleep deprived mind, thats how it works. Hell, a barrister is just an undergraduate program!"
No, I don't recall there being any "Magic test" in Europe
OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21  Edited By OGCartman

When they want to