#1 Posted by PatriotsAreGod (227 posts) -
"Who is more insane, Charlie Sheen or Glen Beck?" - Howard Stern on The Daily Show 2/28/11 

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-february-28-2011/howard-stern

I just saw this so sorry for such a late response. But it is an astonishing question that really deserves more than ten seconds on TV. You got one celeb who is "breaking down" without even trying to hide behind any PR bullshit to save face, and another talking-head freak who sees signs of communism and nazism everywhere he looks. 

You know what? They're both nuts. But If I had to be stranded on an island with only one, I'll take the gen-xer who brings the party and gives the middle finger to the world. Fuck Beck.
#2 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

I never liked Howard Stern until I watched his movie, now I have great respect for him.

#3 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Cards down it has to be Sheen, Glen Beck is just a (bigger) douche. 
PS. You should have added a poll.

#4 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I'd take Stern with me.

#5 Posted by PatriotsAreGod (227 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming said:
" Cards down it has to be Sheen, Glen Beck is just a (bigger) douche.  PS. You should have added a poll. "
Blah....I forgot I can do that.

Sheen is coming to Atlantic City too. I should buy a ticket. 

I should have never watched that "winning" song on YT, either.
#6 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

Both men have been able to market crazy.

#7 Posted by norton123 (311 posts) -

It's clearly Glenn Beck. That guy is bad for the world. Charlie Sheen is just bad for Tigers. 

#8 Posted by CmdrSheppard (202 posts) -

Where's the Rush Limbaugh option?

#9 Posted by MrMcgillicutty (150 posts) -

Stern? Meh.

#10 Edited by SomeJerk (3251 posts) -

Charlie Sheen knows too much and can think too clear about everything in the world, he's something I'd call being batshit crazy, which is not being insane. Sheen has plenty of sanity, mental and whatnot, he just does not care much about maintaining the illusions and imaginary personalities so many people do when others can see them. He rambles on freely instead of acting like he's somebody else. He is being himself - and he may or may not be a broken person.

But he's just not insane.

Glenn Beck is.

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#12 Edited by Trilogy (2655 posts) -

Charlie Sheen is stone cold fuck nuts. Easily goes to him. 

In fact I wouldn't even compare Sheen to Beck. I would compare Carlie sheen to somebody like Charles Manson. Glen Beck is more comparable to Al Sharpton.

#13 Edited by RJMacReady (346 posts) -

I think the answer to the question depends on your politics.

I listen to stern more then i should and his ability to engage in political analysis is pretty weak, he tends to be all over the map and has no coherent political philosophy based on any real first principle. Prior to this statement i recall him saying he actually enjoyed watching glen beck bcs of his reporting on G. Soros. at which point his cohost Robin quivers got noticeably irritated. 

Also stern during sirus/xm merger he referred to democrats as gangsters  (which i think tends to be closer to the truth :P )
http://www.bizofshowbiz.com/2008/07/howard_stern_calls_out_democra.html
 http://www.mrc.org/bmi/articles/2008/Stern_on_XMSirius_Merger_I_Will_Never_Vote_For_a_Democrat_Again.html

AT the same time stern has been targeted by FCC regulators for his transmissions lurid content in what would seem a conservative traditionalist paradigm.  Stern's been hit by both sides which might explain why his political views tend to be somewhat shallow, as politics to him might seem like a worthless enterprise. AFter the gifferds shooting stern made statements as to how some politicians are actually trying to help (which to me seems like a calculated statement to distance one from extremism), he is just all over the map and i thikn the best assessment is not to use stern to engage in political analysis by answering his questions or pondering his statements but realizing he is an entertainer and fundamentally a shock jock. What gets viewers is what is shocking, if that means talking about how his grandmother died on teh day he enters a new market or how he blew up kids in Vietnam or insulting certain Americans that have conservative/libertarian beliefs he will do it. 

Personally i was transfixed when he went after Dr. laura schellessenger recently. I really wanted some serious drama with her. But since they work for the same company it was disarmed pretty quickly. 

Anyway this was stern at his best illustrating what rational ignorance is with his on the street interviews: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqAiarOhC2U 

Yes i know it'sa sampling error but i think research into public ignorance confirms this

#14 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

Howard Stern and interesting in the same sentence? What is this the 90's?

#15 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1576 posts) -

I'd say Beck is crazier.  It least with Sheen you could say he was coming down off his drugs.  Beck suffers from night terrors while he is awake.

#16 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -
@blueduck said:
" I never liked Howard Stern until I watched his movie, now I have great respect for him. "
He was willing to admit to the world that he has a tiny dick. Which then certifies that the guy at least has huge balls make up for it.
#17 Edited by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

I don't even know either of these two people.

#18 Edited by mnzy (2914 posts) -

Depends on how much of his own BS Beck really believes. If it's more than 50%, I'll give it to him. But I doubt he does, so it's just smart fraud. Sheen is pretty crazy, but he is pleasantly open about it. It's the silent crazy guys that you should be afraid of.

#19 Posted by ajamafalous (11996 posts) -

I think Sheen's just tired of maintaining an image and wants to be whatever he wants without being held to certain standards. Beck is just crazy if he believes even half of what he says.

#20 Posted by dudeglove (7856 posts) -

If we're talking about "he should be locked up because he's a danger to himself and society at large" insane, then I wouldn't say Sheen is insane at all. The remarks and analogies he's made, while being completely off-the-wall (tiger blood, bi-winning, Adonis ancestors, warlock brain etc.), are entirely lucid. Take this vid, for instance.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if Charlie Sheen is secretly trolling everyone (he is an actor, y'know?), and if he is then he's been fucking hilarious.

Glenn Beck, on the other hand, has apparently managed to hypnotize himself by continuously spouting rightwing bullshit over the years and subsequently lost all grip on reality.
#21 Edited by Vonocourt (2130 posts) -
@mnzy said:

" Depends on how much of his own BS Beck really believes. If it's more than 50%, I'll give it to him. But I doubt he does, so it's just smart fraud. Sheen is pretty crazy, but he is pleasantly open about it. It's the silent crazy guys that you should be afraid of. "

This. Beck has admitted that his show is entertainment, and not a accurate source of news/politics. This was in a Forbes Magazine, a magazine who's audience doesn't really crossover too Beck's audience.
#22 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -
@dudeglove said:
" If we're talking about "he should be locked up because he's a danger to himself and society at large" insane, then I wouldn't say Sheen is insane at all. The remarks and analogies he's made, while being completely off-the-wall (tiger blood, bi-winning, Adonis ancestors, warlock brain etc.), are entirely lucid. Take this vid, for instance.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if Charlie Sheen is secretly trolling everyone (he is an actor, y'know?), and if he is then he's been fucking hilarious.  Glenn Beck, on the other hand, has apparently managed to hypnotize himself by continuously spouting rightwing bullshit over the years and subsequently lost all grip on reality. "
Shit the fuck??? That video right there strongly leans to the ''he's trolling the world'' theory. At the very least, he realised how hilariously crazy he sounded during that interview and is scoring laughs with his own sardonic humour.
#23 Posted by animathias (1186 posts) -

I got out of politics years ago (thanks to the Internet saying my Conservative views and values made me more an animal than human being, but hey, how dare I actually have an opinion that's based on my own views and life experiences?) and used to listen to Limbaugh and Beck's radio shows daily. Back then, they each went to an extreme rant once a week or so, but most of the time they sounded pretty sane and logical (but my Conservative brain is clearly inferior to the almighty Liberal's, so I guess I was hypnotized by the magical radio waves into not being able to distinguish fact, opinion, and hyperbole.)

I was only able to get into Beck's TV show for a small stretch, but cut my ties to politics not long after it started. For the first stretch, though, it was a pretty mild show. The extreme clips I've seen since then don't show him in a good light at all, but it's hard to find an "extreme" clip of any political enthusiast or even politician on the Internet that doesn't show them as some sort of raving lunatic, so I don't pay attention to most of it from either side of the aisle (because as it turns out, people take Politics really seriously and can get really worked up about it. Then you clip that out of context and they seem absolutely insane.)

Charlie Sheen, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have any grounding in reality whatsoever. Glenn Beck can get worked up about, I dunno, Healthcare, and a clip of that would make him seem crazy - in the same vein as a PS3 fanboy getting worked up over a mediocre PS3 exclusive review. In both of those examples, they might get a little extreme, but they're being passionate about something they care about. Sheen, however, just acts like everyone else is inferior to him and he can do whatever his coked-up brain desires. 

In conclusion, I think Sheen is clearly the most insane. Beck is passionate about something grounded in reality and something he and a large percentage of Americans care about, whether you agree with him or not. Sheen isn't grounded at all, and talks as though he's some sort of god-like figure come to grace humanity with his presence. 

#24 Posted by Sanity (1907 posts) -

Charlie sheen dont hurt anyone but himself for the most part and hes kinda amusing so im cool with him.

Glen beck needs to be taken off the air on the other hand, weak minded people actually believe that guy.

#25 Posted by Fuersliph (19 posts) -

Glen Beck is just a guy with an opinion, take him or leave him.  I'm not really a fan.  Charlie Sheen is just a guy with a long term drug issue.  I'm not really a fan of his either.