firen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By firen

**Contains Spoilers**

I have to hand it to Zack Snyder. For a commercial director to take a geek property like Watchmen, direct a 3 hour movie that remains faithful to the comic and succeeds in creating a great film. I loved Watchmen through and through. No, it's no Dark Knight or Spider-Man 2 but it's not supposed to be. It's a different film in and of itself but I think that's mainly because Snyder may have been too faithful to the comic. You see Dave Gibbons' laid out the story in a certain that really only works in that medium. To truly appreciate the story and pacing you must read the comic. I think that might be the reason the film isn't doing as well as it should. But then again I think fans would be outraged if a he deviated from the comic too much. That being said I am still having a hard time viewing the film as someone who hasn't read the comic. Even still, I think in the end this is everything a fan could truly ask for. Oh and Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach really impressed me. I mean he played Rorschach almost exactly I pictured how Rorschach would be if he was real. I LOVED IT! One questionable call that I still can't decided whether it was a great decision or not was the end. To make Dr. Manhattan the fall guy deviated from the space octopus concept from the comic. Now I realize the space octopus was a bit ridiculous but what I found interesting is that the world was willing to come together when they realized that America's weapon (Manhattan) destroyed multiple cities. Why would the soviets sympathize with America, I mean if anything that should further intensify their hate for America. I dunno, that was just a minor quibble I had.

Rating : FIVE Hurms out of FIVE!

firen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By firen

**Contains Spoilers**

I have to hand it to Zack Snyder. For a commercial director to take a geek property like Watchmen, direct a 3 hour movie that remains faithful to the comic and succeeds in creating a great film. I loved Watchmen through and through. No, it's no Dark Knight or Spider-Man 2 but it's not supposed to be. It's a different film in and of itself but I think that's mainly because Snyder may have been too faithful to the comic. You see Dave Gibbons' laid out the story in a certain that really only works in that medium. To truly appreciate the story and pacing you must read the comic. I think that might be the reason the film isn't doing as well as it should. But then again I think fans would be outraged if a he deviated from the comic too much. That being said I am still having a hard time viewing the film as someone who hasn't read the comic. Even still, I think in the end this is everything a fan could truly ask for. Oh and Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach really impressed me. I mean he played Rorschach almost exactly I pictured how Rorschach would be if he was real. I LOVED IT! One questionable call that I still can't decided whether it was a great decision or not was the end. To make Dr. Manhattan the fall guy deviated from the space octopus concept from the comic. Now I realize the space octopus was a bit ridiculous but what I found interesting is that the world was willing to come together when they realized that America's weapon (Manhattan) destroyed multiple cities. Why would the soviets sympathize with America, I mean if anything that should further intensify their hate for America. I dunno, that was just a minor quibble I had.

Rating : FIVE Hurms out of FIVE!

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

Dont mean to be an asshole, but I dont think Gibbons was really the story guy, like at all. Wasn't Alan Moore the writer of the thing, and Gibbons illustrated? I agree that Jackie Earle Haley was Rorschach through and through, but they had to cut the squid because keeping it would have meant keeping the black freighter and the story about the black freighters author, and the whole thing would have been too long and complicated for movie goers.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By TomA

Gibbons was the illustrator,and Alan Moore(being the caveman dickhole that he is) wrote it. I thought Rorsach was too short in the film and they left out too many parts from the novel and changed too many things.