• 130 results
#1 Edited by Wuddel (2079 posts) -

Hey duders, 

did you ever thougt. I really would like to be able to speak that language? Which would that be? Just started learning one?

I am a German and I am ok in English. I had a couple of years of French in school, but remember hardly any of it (I still understand some.). I also had a few lessons of Japanese. This was mostly a joke. Nothing left there. 

I always wanted to be able to speak Spanish since I once got a lot of latin american co-workers. Now, it is the same with Italians, but I never felt the urge to learn that. And also maybe Russian, just because I think it is cool. Also in my field of work there are many good russian theorists.

How about you? 

EDIT: To my defense. That stuff with the Japanese was sometime in the early to mid 90ies (I do not really remember). Way before Animes were that popular.

#2 Edited by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Portuguese. 
Because I'm half  Portuguese and I want to be able to have a conversation with half of my family. 

Oh and if anyone in this thread says "JAPANESE BECAUSE I LIKE ANIME AND JRPGS OMG LOL AND I WANT TO BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND ITS SUBTLE JOKES THAT ARE LOST IN LOCALISATION" I will come to your home and stab you.

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Russian...so I can be told " No Russian" 

#4 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

Japanese because i like anime and jrpgs oh my god laugh out loud.

#5 Posted by Niall_Sg1 (362 posts) -

Japanese simply because I'd like to spend a year or so there when I'm older. :P

#6 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@luce said:
" Japanese because i like anime and jrpgs oh my god laugh out loud. "
THAT DOES IT 

Please may I have your home address? Its... so I can give you a... present. Yes. Thats it. Now give me your address.
#7 Posted by CountMacula (234 posts) -

Mandarin, always wanted to be able to speak it, and managed to take a beginner course in college a few years ago, but haven't been able to keep it up.  

Also French, I got really really good at it in school but after roughly six years of not speaking it I've totally lost my ear for it, but I can still read it for the most part, really want to rectify that, need to find lessons or something there. 

Lately have an interest in learning Italian but that's more to do with a girl than anything else.

#8 Posted by Steve_Ramirez (1257 posts) -

Italian. I figure it's a simple enough jump for me since I already know Spanish. 

#9 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -
@luce said:
I wish this was facebook so I could *like* this post.
#10 Posted by Kurtdyoung (1299 posts) -

At first Japanese came to mind, but then I saw Russian and Italian... All of the above, please.

#11 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Japanese, because I want to make games for a living and speaking Japanese opens up options in that field (I HATE anime). Also Arabic, just because I lived in the Middle East for a few years and feel guilty about not learning it.

#12 Posted by Jeust (10473 posts) -

JAPANESE BECAUSE I LIKE ANIME AND JRPGS OMG LOL AND I WANT TO BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND ITS SUBTLE JOKES THAT ARE LOST IN LOCALISATION    

This, play those obscure japanese games that no one knows. ^^
#13 Posted by Cubic (171 posts) -

Spanish, if only so that I could do a tour of South America and maybe visit a fun (read: dangerous) part of Cuba. That's never going to happen though, and since I can already speak a little bit of French I'm trying to brush that up to an acceptable standard and spend a few months in Montreal. 

I wouldn't mind learning Japanese, just so that I could play a few Atlas games that haven't been translated into English, but I keep telling myself that's a stupid reason and not doing it.

#14 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

The only two languages I've really thought "Wow, I'd love to know that!" are German and Russian. I wouldn't mind knowing French as well, but the downside for French is learning it. It is a language I simply cannot grasp for whatever reason. I'm learning German in school, although I know of nowhere that I could learn Russian easily. You could probably learn it from reading guides to the language but it wouldn't be the easiest way of doing so, I don't imagine. It's probably a very difficult language considering the change from Latin to Cyrillic alphabets, but if needed I can attempt to rationalize why I'd want to do so. 

@The_Laughing_Man said:

" Russian...so I can be told " No Russian"  "
This made me laugh! To be fair though, wouldn't the Russian for that statement be something along the lines of 'Nyet Ry-ooski'? From the few Russian words I can pronounce that would be correct: assuming words in Russian don't have a change in meaning or pronunciation depending on their context, anyway. I couldn't tell you how to spell it in Russian, but hey. That should be a very crude pronunciation of the words.
#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (35985 posts) -
@luce said:
This, only without the anime and everything after JRPGs.
#16 Edited by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

Japanese if only to make the most subversive and hateful JRPGs ever released. 

But if I wanted to learn a language for real people, with an actual practical use, probably Spanish, since with the bases of two European languages, I could figure the rest out with ease. 

#17 Posted by armaan8014 (5328 posts) -
@Niall_Sg1 said:
" Japanese simply because I'd like to spend a year or so there when I'm older. :P "
Me too :D
And because I'd like to play Deadly premonition in Japanese... or maybe not
#18 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

German.

#19 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Italian because I know Spanish and broken french. Well even broken french would be an overstatement, but yes Italian.

#20 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -
@Wuddel: Iche spreche eine bisschen Deutsche   I would like to be able to speak more though.  Pardon my spelling.
#21 Posted by randiolo (1090 posts) -
@phrosnite: yuk really? 
#22 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I study Japanese. I hate anime/manga but Japanese people are funny as fuck.

#23 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -
@randiolo said:
" @phrosnite: yuk really?  "
wow, wow, wow, wow?! What do you have against german? Sick bastard!
#24 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -

Japanese because I like anime and JRPGs and I'm that kind of geek geek DEAL WITH IT MYSTERIOUSBOB.

#25 Posted by Wuddel (2079 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
Oh and if anyone in this thread says "JAPANESE BECAUSE I LIKE ANIME AND JRPGS OMG LOL AND I WANT TO BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND ITS SUBTLE JOKES THAT ARE LOST IN LOCALISATION" I will come to your home and stab you. "
You are looking at a lot of stabbing in the near future ;)
#26 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -

Sumerian. The first cities era of history has always intrigued me, and although lost to time also the first languages. Sumerian is as close to hunter-gathering as history allows us to get, linguistically speaking.

#27 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

I speak Swedish, English and German. Speaking French or Spanish would probably be the most useful for me.

#28 Posted by OutOfBounds9000 (2300 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" Portuguese. Because I'm half  Portuguese and I want to be able to have a conversation with half of my family.  Oh and if anyone in this thread says "JAPANESE BECAUSE I LIKE ANIME AND JRPGS OMG LOL AND I WANT TO BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND ITS SUBTLE JOKES THAT ARE LOST IN LOCALISATION" I will come to your home and stab you. "
JAPANESE BECAUSE I LIKE ANIME AND JRPGS OMG LOL AND I WANT TO BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND ITS SUBTLE JOKES THAT ARE LOST IN LOCALISATION
#29 Posted by TooWalrus (13135 posts) -

Probably French, my whole family speaks it (up until my generation, of course.) I've thought about Japanese, too. I don't care for anime or JRPGs, but I'd love to travel there, and be able to speak to the people, read the signs and shit.

#30 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

French and Japanese. Learning a second language is one of those things I'd have on the "Things to do before I die" list.

#31 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1734 posts) -

Italian or spanish.

#32 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

I already speak Swedish, English, German and a somewhat crude Spanish. I guess Finnish and Russian tops my list of languages I would like to learn.

#33 Posted by Gunner612 (4338 posts) -

Thats funny because i've always wanted to speak German. I've just never had the means to because my school only offered Spanish and French classes.

#34 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

The only two languages I care about are mathematics and Music, and I am fluent in both. I inherited english.

#35 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" JAPANESE BECAUSE I LIKE ANIME AND JRPGS OMG LOL AND I WANT TO BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND ITS SUBTLE JOKES THAT ARE LOST IN LOCALISATION"
Pretty much this, but I'd also go for a bit of German if I could.
#36 Posted by Chirag4 (585 posts) -

#37 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -

Already knowing my native Bulgarian, as well as English and a good amount of Japanese, I really wanna understand Russian properly.

The fucking tragic irony, too, because Russian is incredibly similar to my own language. BUT OH GOD, ITS FUCKING RIDICULOUSLY WEIRD.

#38 Edited by Bollard (5245 posts) -

Japanese because I'd love to go there, and I think working there might be pretty awesome too. 

I'll never do it though of course, GCSE Spanish and German was enough for me to realise I don't have the enthusiasm to learn a language any further than that.

#39 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

I'm taking german in college, Japanese would be cool though.

#40 Posted by Winternet (8004 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" Portuguese. Because I'm half  Portuguese and I want to be able to have a conversation with half of my family. "
So, let's start: Olá. Como é que estás? Tudo bem com a familia? Adeus. 

Japanese, Russian and Arabic. Because, if you know those 3 and English you can be a super spy and do all kind of fun shit. Or just learn Russian and role play every cold war/commie movie/game ever.
#41 Posted by MetalGearGeorge (218 posts) -

Klingon because it would be very useful if i ever needed to freak someone i didn't like out.

#42 Posted by KittenMitten (111 posts) -

German, because I want to say long/awesome as hell words like "  Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung"

#43 Posted by WickedFather (1730 posts) -

OP needs to work on their English.  Knowing enough to finish the subjects of your posts would really be a good start.

#44 Posted by Otogi (248 posts) -

I always wanted to learn Spanish. Sooo many things you can do with it, and it strangely enough makes other langues easier to learn.

#45 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

I know some French, but I would like to be fluent in it.

#46 Posted by ESREVER (2667 posts) -
I took about 3 years of German in High School because it was my family heritage. 
I'm taking Japanese courses this semester for "fun." It would be really neat to travel there someday, however unlikely that may be.
#47 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

German mostly. Maybe Russian. I tried Italian but it didn't work out.

#48 Posted by rosebud04 (360 posts) -

Klingon!

#49 Edited by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

Latin and Esperanto.

Or some of the dying languages:

Kutenai, which apparently only 12 people in the world speak fluently, Chinook, Munsee etc.

#50 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

British English with the accent and the works.