I always wanted to be able to speak ....?

• 128 results
MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#101  Edited By MetalBaofu

For practical reasons I would choose Spanish.  I took some Spanish classes in high school and college, but I was always better at reading it than actually speaking it, and none of it really stuck.   For personal reasons I would pick Japanese.  Wouldn't have to watch anime with subtitles or dubbing anymore, play some import games, etc.

Avatar image for ghost_of_perdition
Ghost_of_Perdition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I already know how to speak Spanish and some French, although I wouldn't mind being more fluent. I'd like to learn R'lyehian,  and maybe Italian.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By Hourai

German or Russian would be pretty badass. The only language courses at my school are French, Spanish, and Japanese, so I went with Spanish. Really regret not taking Japanese instead because I have no desire to speak or use Spanish anywhere. 

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#104  Edited By korolev

Oh man there are so many languages I would love to speak! At the top of my list are: Chinese, Hindi, Spanish, Arabic and French - because if you can speak all 5 of those languages, plus english, boom - more than half the world's population covered right there and then. Think about it - we're nearly 7 billion strong right? 1.3 Billion Speak Chinese, 1.1 Billion speak Hindi or Arabic (I am aware of the multitude of Indian languages, but I would guess that most Indian citizens speak Hindi, just as I'm assuming that most Chinese speak Mandarin (I'm leaving out Cantonese and many other dialects for simplicity), Many millions speak arabic and spanish..... and over a billion people have english has either a first or second language - so that's gotta total over 3.5 Billion people I could speak to if I knew those 6 languages, possibly more like 4 Billion people. How wonderful that would be! 

After that, German, Japanese and Russian, due to the vast amounts of scientific papers coming out of those countries. Most of them are translated, but not well and not all of them are. It would be nice to be able to read their papers in the native language of the researchers.  

Another one to really consider is Indonesian or other Malay languages. There are over 230 Million people living in Indonesia alone, and their language has a beautiful sound to it. It also uses (mostly)  the Latin script, so you can pick up the writing very fast.  

As for the languages lowest on my priority: Greek, Latin, Welsh, Gaelic and various indigenous languages. It's not that those languages aren't important to the speakers, or that they don't have a wonderful history that needs to be preserved, it's just that those languages aren't widely spoken, are on the decline, and the only real reason you'd learn another language is to facilitate communication between cultures, so learning a super-obscure language isn't useful to that end.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By valrog

Latin. And Russian.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By shirogane

Japanese, cause i'm halfway there already. 
Chinese, cause i'm almost halfway there already. 

Machine code, cause ya know, that'd be awesome.
IvanOoze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#108  Edited By IvanOoze

Jive. 

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#109  Edited By xMP44x
@dudeglove said:
" @xMP44x said:
" It's probably a very difficult language considering the change from Latin to Cyrillic alphabets.. "
The alphabet is the main hurdle, and most of the letters are just the same as their English variants. You can learn the 33 or so letters in a day or two (handwriting is a different matter altogether). After that it's pretty simple. 99% of it is "say what you see" like German, unlike French or English for example, where you don't even pronounce the last damn letter unless there's an s on the end (or isn't, I forget), or have silent letters (e.g. ant, aunt) and homonyms (e.g. dear, deer; bare, bear etc.) "
That sounds more straightforward than I had initially imagined. I was expecting the alphabet to be this incredibly daunting thing that would be close to impossible to learn without weeks of trying to practice and recall it. I know Russian is probably the kind of language you can easily get bogged down in, but it's a language that really interests me. Thanks for explaining that dudeglove! :D
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#111  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think it'd be cool to know Japanese but I'm honestly not that worried about learning another language. I did know French but my French is a bit rusty now.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By trylks

So many... In this order: English, Spanish, Python, Java, logic, maths.

Some candidates depending on future circumstances: Japanese, German, Latin, Russian, Perl, Javascript.

Some that are cool but I'll never learn unless I can be plugged into matrix and directly download them to my brain: Chinese, Elvish, Protoss.

And then there are many things that I would like to learn and are not languages, but that's too offtopic. GL, HF.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#113  Edited By Vinny_Says

Cantonese, there's a lot of chinese where I live, it might help....I dunno. 

Spanish or Italian are my other choices

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By ViciousReiven

Japanese, so I can import those games that no one is willing to publish in English.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By ShockD

German. I want to understand what do the terrified German soldiers scream in Call of Duty.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#117  Edited By fattony12000

DESU DESU DESU?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Azteck

Latin, French and Spanish. I actually took 3 years of French but I came out with a D in the 3rd year so suffice to say, i know next to nothing.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Example1013

I don't have a wish list. If I really wanted to learn a language, I'd be doing it right now, not posting on the Giantbomb forums. 

It'd be nice to learn other languages, but the real problem for me is the time sink involved in learning the vocab. For instance, I have French grammar down pretty well by now (at least most of it), but I stopped after last semester because I really just don't want to devote the time towards all the vocab that's necessary to be able to speak it fluently.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#120  Edited By artelinarose

Russian, French and Japanese. I find Russian and French to be very sexy to listen to, and Japanese because I might get some use out of it here or there.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Example1013
@Artemesia: Honestly, I just love hearing French people speak. It's really nice to hear their accents. At least from around the Champagne region (haven't spoken to really anyone not from around there, I don't think). So yeah, Champagne for accent and drink.
masterherocard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#122  Edited By masterherocard

Latin. Seems like it'd be neat.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I am learning Japanese via Rosetta Stone. Mostly for video game purposes, and I absolutely loved Japan when I went there in 2010.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By sameeeeam

I like anime and JRPGs a lot so ...

Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Trebz

Japanese and Russian. Japanese seems useful and Russian is just neat. 

spudtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By spudtastic

I'm American (English speaking) I like to read about Europe in WW2, so likely German. Oddly, I recognise some phrase translation in German and Italian, and much Spanish with only one year schooling in that.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#127  Edited By Tsoglani

I would like to learn Ancient Phoenecian. 

That, or Arabic, or Spanish.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#128  Edited By JonathanMoore

Spanish/Portuguese. A lot of my friends in College spoke Portuguese and Spanish is the more popular language and it's close to Portuguese anyway so...

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#129  Edited By JonathanMoore
@Wuddel said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
Oh and if anyone in this thread says "JAPANESE BECAUSE I LIKE ANIME AND JRPGS OMG LOL AND I WANT TO BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND ITS SUBTLE JOKES THAT ARE LOST IN LOCALISATION" I will come to your home and stab you. "
You are looking at a lot of stabbing in the near future ;) "
You should probably... you know... not go on the Internet anymore...
tictocbehemoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By tictocbehemoth

I'm taking French courses now. So definitely French. Also Russian and Swedish because I think that would be cool.