#1 Posted by Sterling (2057 posts) -

It has been brought to my attention that I have an odd personality quirk about listening to music. And it is something that I have always done. And never really noticed or thought about. And no one has ever said anything to me until now. The quirk is that I tend to never finish listening to a song. I skip/change to another one well before the current one is over. I do this all the time. Usually about anywhere from half way to 3/4ths of the way through a song. After this was pointed out, I thought about it. And I've always done. Regardless of how much I really love the song playing. Or if anyone else is listening with me.

I can even imagine how insane this has driven people over the years. But then again, why has no one ever said anything? Anyways, back to skipping the ends of songs.

#2 Posted by CaLe (3909 posts) -

I've picked up quite a few TV shows and watched every episode apart from the last one or two. I dunno why, just lose interest even if I've been enjoying it up until that point.

#3 Edited by BeachThunder (11686 posts) -

At first I thought you meant that you skip dirty songs :P

Also, I find skipping songs like that (especially when you're with someone else) to be really fucking gross. Just sayin'.

#5 Posted by ToTheNines (638 posts) -

I tend to only do it if the outro is long and uneventful.

#6 Posted by Sterling (2057 posts) -

@beachthunder: So did the person that pointed it out. She got really furious after the third song.

#7 Posted by Demoskinos (14559 posts) -

You good for nothing low down song skipper! How could you!

#8 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2903 posts) -

I do that sometimes, not constantly like some crazy person.

Are you also the type of person who sometimes really wants to listen to some random song in your head and then you do but realize you only needed to listen to 30-40 seconds to get your fill?

My quirk is that I like to listen to one song on repeat for hours and hours.

#9 Edited by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

I do this with movies all the time... and people hate me for it.

#10 Edited by Humanity (8798 posts) -

@sterling: I never listen to song lyrics. There are some songs that I've listened to hundreds of times, and are my absolute favorites, and I could not quote more than half the chorus for you.

#11 Posted by Sterling (2057 posts) -

@geraltitude: Yes, I am also that person. I do that almost daily. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

@demoskinos: I know, for shame!

#12 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1836 posts) -

Are you also the type of person who sometimes really wants to listen to some random song in your head and then you do but realize you only needed to listen to 30-40 seconds to get your fill?

I do everything here and exactly what the OP does too.

#13 Posted by Brendan (7685 posts) -

I only do that for some Deadmau5 songs where he has simple drum and bass outros that go on for 45 seconds. Even then I only muster the effort sporadically. Basically your Hitler. /s

#14 Edited by bybeach (4722 posts) -

I thought you got religion.

I only do it if something isn't working. Then I move on. But most music keeps my attention that I listen to.

#15 Posted by ShaggE (6320 posts) -

@humanity said:

@sterling: I never listen to song lyrics. There are some songs that I've listened to hundreds of times, and are my absolute favorites, and I could not quote more than half the chorus for you.

That's equally crazy to me, haha. There are songs I haven't heard in years that I could recite right now with near-perfect accuracy. (and my memory is garbage)

As for skipping songs, I only do it in rare circumstances. (boring/annoying outro, long soundscapes or drone music, etc.) If I cut off a song that I like, it'll be stuck in my head until I finish it.

#16 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2412 posts) -

If I'm driving around with friends we'll typically do that, but at home I don't. Vinyl helps with that urge.

#17 Edited by GERALTITUDE (2903 posts) -

@sterling said:

@geraltitude: Yes, I am also that person. I do that almost daily. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

@artelinarose said:

@geraltitude said:

I do everything here and exactly what the OP does too.

So basically I am half of Sterling and all of Artlinarose and Artlinarose is all of Sterling and all of me.

Or you are me.

Or, we are each other.

Mind. Hurts.

#18 Edited by Slag (3989 posts) -

Who has time to listen to whole songs anymore anyway? Just gimme the good parts.

#19 Edited by Hamst3r (4450 posts) -

Songs are too long anyway. Half the time it sounds like the song is on repeat anyway with how many times the want you to hear the chorus.

#20 Posted by Aetheldod (3509 posts) -

I guess you would be unable to listen to some epic black metal songs that last around 10-15 minutes XD , I dont skip songs and also hate people when they flick channels when ads comes , altho with the advent of netflix and the like no longer an issue , but boy I hated loosing a second of the show because someone couldnt wait a few minutes D:

#21 Posted by ZolRoyce (627 posts) -

My dad is a song skipper as well, usually accompanied by some sort of phrase as well when he skips "enough already!, learn how to end a song!" So I'm used to someone doing it.
So long as if you are with someone and they ask you to stop and you do stop, nothing wrong with it. Nah I'm kidding, you're actually a terrible person.

I'll skip here and there, depends on my mood and the song, I only generally tend to skip if the song takes a harsh turn in vibe, like Layla by Clapton, the second half of that song gets skipped right away.

#22 Posted by Sin4profit (2905 posts) -

i know people like that, i think they call them DJs.

#23 Edited by ShaggE (6320 posts) -
Also a dirty song skipper.

Man, I do not miss having to walk slow and steady hoping not to jiggle the disc.

#24 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5205 posts) -

The title led me to believe you were talking about a new kind of dance. Anyways, I don't see anything wrong with doing that when you're by yourself, but otherwise I could totally see it being annoying. I'll tend to skip songs if they're longer than 2 or 2 and a half minutes. Just depends.

#25 Posted by falserelic (5311 posts) -

Jean Claude Van Damme dance

WAITING FOR THE TAKE OFF!

#26 Posted by McHampton (62 posts) -

@humanity: Same here. Aside from Happy Birthday, and even that is sketchy, there isn't a single song I know all of the words to.

#27 Posted by OneManX (1680 posts) -

Yeah, I just get the urge to hear a certain song and listen to it on repeat for hours, or i just get to chorus or verse that I like.

Also I will skip songs constantly once I feel like I'm close enough to the end to were I feel, "Yeah... I got enough from this song" Do the same with Podcasts, I have a ton of them with like 5-8 mins. remaining because I don care for the outros.

#28 Edited by NegativeCero (2975 posts) -

I do that occasionally if I'm just listening to music in the background. Also, with the amount of mixtapes that I download, I pretty much have to skip around because I'm not gonna like everything.

#29 Posted by Mendelson9 (401 posts) -

@cale said:

I've picked up quite a few TV shows and watched every episode apart from the last one or two. I dunno why, just lose interest even if I've been enjoying it up until that point.

I did that with Avatar: The Last Airbender. I loved it so much I never wanted it to end and didn't end up watching the last episodes until Korra came out.

#30 Posted by Strife777 (1500 posts) -

I had friends that used to do that. It totally baffled me. I was just like "what the fuck..." every time.

I don't know, it just feels weird to me. If I start a song out, I finish it.

#31 Edited by Castiel (2527 posts) -

@sterling: I do that occasionally, but only when I am by myself.

#32 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3733 posts) -

If you're with someone else there this is THE WORST. You are scum.

#33 Posted by audioBusting (1475 posts) -

I know someone who would sometimes skip a karaoke song after he gets through the first chorus. It's a bit annoying, but most pop songs do get boring pretty quickly.

#34 Posted by tsutohiro (364 posts) -

I do this with movies all the time... and people hate me for it.

Movies you've already seen before, right?

#35 Posted by TobbRobb (4574 posts) -

I skip songs all the time. If I'm just listening out of boredom, then it's skipalooza because I'm bored and need to use my hands to do SOMETHING. Yes, even when other people are here. I know it's a dick thing to do. :C

I also don't listen to lyrics ever just like @humanity. People always get surprised when I don't know what some of my favorite songs are even about. I probably have a really offensive song somewhere in my library without even realising it.

#36 Posted by Nightriff (4908 posts) -

I'm the opposite, I compulsively listen to the end of every song, not for any good reason except to make sure it gets a +1 count in total plays, I'm a sucker for stats and I love seeing my most played songs.

#37 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

@sterling said:

It has been brought to my attention that I have an odd personality quirk about listening to music. And it is something that I have always done. And never really noticed or thought about. And no one has ever said anything to me until now. The quirk is that I tend to never finish listening to a song. I skip/change to another one well before the current one is over. I do this all the time. Usually about anywhere from half way to 3/4ths of the way through a song. After this was pointed out, I thought about it. And I've always done. Regardless of how much I really love the song playing. Or if anyone else is listening with me.

I can even imagine how insane this has driven people over the years. But then again, why has no one ever said anything? Anyways, back to skipping the ends of songs.

Nothing wrong with being Mormon I suppose. As long as you don't show up on my doorstep before noon trying to tell me about it.

#38 Posted by Illuminosopher (318 posts) -

I skip songs but it depends on the situation, if i'm alone just listening to music I am more likely to skip if I am doing something else like drawing,editing or playing games i almost never skip if I am around people and we are going to listen to the music I have I always give control of the music to the person or people i am around as the music is all from my collection it is irrelevant to me what get's skipped or played.

#39 Posted by mason20 (135 posts) -

@shagge: Yes! A hundred times yes! I still remember the weird and stiff walk you would have to do to not let it skip. What it was like to listen to music on the go before the ipod..

#40 Posted by knifeoframbo (38 posts) -

@sterling: I can relate in a way. Every time I eat a sandwich I almost always leave the last bite of each half uneaten. I never realized what I was doing until someone asked what was wrong with me... So don't feel too bad ok?

#41 Edited by Superkenon (1379 posts) -

I'll skip songs before they even start playing, just because I'd rather get to other ones. Other than that, not really. Only for certain songs that I get enough of halfway through.

I can be a dirty song looper, on the other hand.

#42 Posted by Hyuzen (443 posts) -

@sterling: As someone who is friends with dirty song skippers, I can tell you that some people maybe didn't care/notice, but undoubtedly some did.

I'd be with a group, then someone would say something like 'hey you guys should check out this song', and 1 1/2 minutes later put on a different song that we all needed to hear. This would repeat for probably 4 or 5 songs.

There's a special kind of torment awaiting those song skippers. You better change your ways while you can!

#43 Posted by mikeeegeee (1550 posts) -

God, you must be awful at parties.