Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#151  Edited By Deranged

I personally don't care. The English language has been like that for who knows how long.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

There are like 400 million people who speak English as their native language and 300+ million of those people are in the US so the US way is the normal way because numbers.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#154  Edited By theveej
@msavo said:

@mikkaq said:

As a Canadian I think our lack of dollar bills is what's ruining us as a society.

No way dude I love my Loonies and Toonies.

Loonies and Toonies are awesome, but we as Canadians are getting ripped off at our strip clubs. It is truly one of our nations biggest injustices. Specially if your are not rolling in dough (although the strip clubs in Montreal do kind of balance it out).

The spelling issue is just annoying, specially when you have to deal with people from U.S. I have no strong feeling about it one way or another but it is annoying.

Also even though we don't have bag milks in the West (and even if we did I doubt we would have organic milk in a bags, which is the only kind of milk I drink) I am very much in favour of having bag milks.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#155  Edited By NTM

I'm not for the oohrah hell yeah America, we're better than the rest crap, but I am American, and I have to agree, I like our usage much better; it just makes sense when in conjunction to the verbal usage. As for the milk, I've never had milk in a bag, but I'm totally perfect with the gallon/half-gallon of milks we have here, though if I had to change, I don't think I'd mind. Oh, and as some have said before, the U.S. are the minority in the usage of keeping out U's, not part of the majority.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jay_ray: Are there other kinds of people in strip clubs?

Of course, people who give $5 bills, the proper minimum at strip clubs. I mean those girls got to pay for med school...

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I think the idea of the "o" in both "hon" and "nor" being pronounced differently is real dumb. And I'm a freakin' American. "U" is an awesome letter anyway, should be used more often.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orbitz said:

@damodar said:

@ethanml said:

I'm British and fuck this thread.

I'm Australian and I share your sentiment.

I'm Canadian and I agree with the both of you.

I'm Singaporean and I approve of these comments.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Akyho

Yes lets listen to the Americans on the English language YALL!

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@mikkaq said:

@crusader8463 said:

No. It's colour. Stop being so damn lazy.

Game Boy Color. Case closed.

Well there we go. Case closed!

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#162  Edited By zFUBARz

My fellow Canadians, we need to stop this bickering about letters and bagged beverage and deal with the real problems.... The fuck is wrong with American Ketchup, that shit is weird, and their damned bitter Ice Tea is a real problem too. Sweet Tea is not the same thing damn it! It's. Just. Not. The Same!

@rebgav said:
@mlarrabee said:

Oh, hey, while we're still on "This Is Canada," how do people in Canada give money to... ladies of impropriety? In America, it's customary to slip the bills beneath various elastic strings.

Do Canadian strippers wear coin dispensing belts?

I don't know what all of that is about but, in my experience, the performers at my local energy drink bars are not adorned with any sort of elasticated money-holding paraphernalia and attempting to slip anything anywhere is most assuredly discouraged. They tend to frown on that. I would hope that Canadian peelers are equally sacrosanct and... naked, though I'd imagine that a Canadian strip club is cold in every conceivable way.

Yeah, You kinda don't do the dollar bill thing, it's dumb and degrading and kinda unsanitary (I know their strippers but still), and since our strippers can actually get naked and you can get drunk at the same time it's much more likely that you'll pay the big bucks for a lap dance/champagne room visit. Also can't speak for strip clubs in other countries, but I used to deliver beer for a living, and damn near every time I delivered to the rippers they'd casually grab your cock in conversation. It was more common than a damn handshake. Seems pretty warm and friendly to me.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#163  Edited By super2j

@chocolaterhinovampire said:

It just doesn't make sense to me...it is favOR not favOURite. Basically American got this right

Trying to put logic into language doesn't work, especially with U's (and GH's)

The U stands. It's the Americans that are trying to dumb down the language. They are the console gamers of English

hahaha, nice.

English is already one of the most messed up languages around, it is almost impossible to consistently pronounce the same combinations of letters in various words. And if we are talking about trying to hold onto british things... we are not the country which is still using the "imperial" system.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@mlarrabee said:

Oh, hey, while we're still on "This Is Canada," how do people in Canada give money to... ladies of impropriety? In America, it's customary to slip the bills beneath various elastic strings.

Do Canadian strippers wear coin dispensing belts?

No Caption Provided

Nah, chucking coins at strippers is not only discouraged, but you're likely to run afoul of a rather large man who wants to look tough in front of the peelers and will hurt you for it.

You use $5 bills instead.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#165  Edited By Bollard
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@chocolaterhinovampire: It's kinda silly that American English cuts it off, because every once in a while there's that awkward moment when they realize they still need it, like with the word "neighbour".

You can't spell that "neighbor".

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@evikull said:

The American standardisation - or simplification - of the English language to match spellings with pronunciations. Or something like that. Perhaps a good idea, but taking letters out of words makes them smaller, and we all know that bigger words make you sound smarter. If anything we should be adding more letters.

It was actually Webster who first shortened the words. He wanted to simplify spellings as well as save money on ink when printing his dictionaries.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe I just read all of that.

Fuck me.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@damodar said:

@ethanml said:

I'm British and fuck this thread.

I'm Australian and I share your sentiment.

Does anyone else think our (Canadians) insistence on putting u's in words like "favour" and "honour" is stupid. Maybe it is just one of those things we do to delude ourselves in to feeling unique? Us Canadians do a lot of things right. Getting rid of the penny? Right. Not having single dollar paper bills? Right. Not having our money just one color? Totally right. Having bagged milk? You bet that's right. But this whole putting U in things never sat well with me. Kudos to you America for cutting the U.

You've been Americanised.

Why don't you just ditch the metric system while you are at it.

Traitor to the empire!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snail said:

@chocolaterhinovampire: It's kinda silly that American English cuts it off, because every once in a while there's that awkward moment when they realize they still need it, like with the word "neighbour".

Wait, what do you mean? People do spell it neighbor. Along with neighborhood. I've never seen someone spell it neighbour. Google itself is telling me to fix that last sentence.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always be u-oozing!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whilst I agree the purging all french is a good thing, we should do our best to preserve the history of the English language. Language is a wonderful thing, an art some would say, and why would we ever want to simplify and generally shit on art?

English is a language based on Old West (i think) German with Greek/ Latin and french influences, why would we ever want to get rid of that stuff for the sake of writing things phonetically or whatever the silly excuse is.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@snail said:

Wait, what do you mean? People do spell it neighbor. Along with neighborhood. I've never seen someone spell it neighbour. Google itself is telling me to fix that last sentence.

As someone who studied at an American international school, I wonder why I thought otherwise. My US English Firefox dictionary even correct the word "neighbour" so it's also weird how I didn't notice that.

That looks silly though. You guys are dummies.

wsninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

we had bagged milk at our highschool for awhile. just saying

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more concerned about all this bagged milk nonsense.

@mariachimacabre said:

@hemmelight said:

Fuck American spellings. Nite?

It's Night.

Um...Americans spell it "Night". Where the hell did you hear otherwise? The only time I've seen it spelled Nite is on seedy motel signs that only spell it like that to save space and electricity. Like "drive-thru."

Really?

I've always seen it spelled Nite in reference to the states. I thought it was just stupid, but now I see that not everyone spells it that way.

More like in reference to just stupid people. "nite" is something you might see in typical lazy texting language.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Do you guys even realize how much time in your life is wasted by adding a U into those words every time you write them?

It's probably a lot.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#181  Edited By metalmoog

I'm Canadian and have never seen bagged milk in my life. I would be apprehensive about drinking milk from a bag. It was bad enough when the jugs came out, I want my milk from a carton dammit.

As for the U's. Yes it's correct. Keep them in and honour our British heritage or drop them and be a pleb. :D