I am getting a tailored suit for the first time. Any tips?

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Wuddel

I like suits and sports jackets, but recently I gained a lot of weight so my clothes do not fit me anymore. I do not wear them them regualry but I got a job that requires me to weat them from time to time (Pharma).

So I am getting a custom tailored one. Any tips? I am of average height (185 cm / 6'2"), but sadly pretty much obese at 125-130 kg (about 285lbs).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@wuddel: In your situation I would opt out for a looser fitting waist and suspenders to hold the pants up. If you work a desk job and you need to wear a suit then it's definitely a comfortable way to go.

If you have never had custom fitting before then don't get weirded out by how "closely" they may measure you.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Yeah looser fit. Also you realise you have a problem take today as the first day to start shifting that weight.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's 285lbs, not 385.

Get more than one shirt if they give you the option.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Without being a downer, but that weight is stage two obesity, not just "pretty much obese".

The tailor should be able to guide you in the best direction if you tell them how you prefer your clothing.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

get a dark gray one- charcoal or something similar. it's the most flexible colour IMHO.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Grey or charcoal always works.

If you get two button, the rule is Always, Never. If you get three button, it's Maybe, Always, Never.

They'll touch your inseam a lot to get measurements.

Depending on the shape of your body, you'll probably want to look at suspenders. A lot of the bigger guys here do suspenders, and the ones that don't are always fiddling with their pants.

I know it's pretty trendy and hip (Or was?), and maybe I'm old, my GF is old, and all our friends are old, but that whole pants break at the ankle thing that's tapered off real narrow so everyone can see your argyle socks? We don't really think it's a good look.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make sure it fits properly in the shoulders. There's a lot of ways to fix an ill-fitting suit (which can happen even if it's bespoke), but if the shoulders are wrong, it's not something that you can really fix without radically altering the structure of the garment.

Make sure the jacket is either half-canvased or (more expensively) fully-canvased. This refers to the shell material that sits between what you see on the outside and the inner lining, which provides the structure of the whole piece. Cheaper suits are "fused" instead, with a weird interlining that's actually glued to the wool shell rather than stitched, and won't conform to your body over time like a nice half or full canvased jacket will. Make sure you aren't paying former prices for latter products.