I am going to the Grand Canyon.

Markiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi there. Has has anyone been to the Grand Canyon. I have never travelled to another continent before and i am from Europe. My parents are taking me there in a couple of months. Is it worth it? What am i gonna see and etc. ? :)

GeneralZod37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By GeneralZod37

It's going to look fake. That was my takeaway when I walked out to the edge for the first time. The whole canyon is just so vast. It's also very beautiful.

If you plan to hike your way down some trails keep in mind that most of the walkways get steep and skinny.

And last, but not least, the southern edge of the canyon will be way more populated than the northern edge. They both offer great views, however. The only hitch is that if you go to the northern edge you won't be anywhere close to Flagstaff, Arizona, the best place on Earth. Or Bearizona for that matter.

Avatar image for arkade_kalamity
Arkade_Kalamity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Arkade_Kalamity

Grand Canyon is one of those places that you have to see in person to really appreciate it. Pictures and videos are useless. My first visit I went kicking and screaming. But once I got there, that all changed. Since then I've been there two more times. I even went whitewater rafting through the canyon which was freaking awesome!!!!

Highly recommended place to visit.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

It's going to look fake. That was my first takeaway when I walked out to the edge for the first time. The whole canyon is just so vast. It's also very beautiful.

If you plan to hike your way down some trails keep in mind that most of the walkways get steep and skinny.

And last, but not least, the southern edge of the canyon will be way more populated than the northern edge. They both offer great views, however. The only hitch is that if you go to the northern edge you won't be anywhere close to Flagstaff, Arizona, the best place on Earth. Or Bearizona for that matter.

This. I first looked at it and just thought, "That is not real." Also being super afraid of heights, the hike into the canyon was an adventure, just stick to the wall. Dress warm, that place can get freezing in the winter.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Marcsman

Not far from Vegas.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Seeing something natural as the Grand canyon can be seriously awesome and educating. A Wonder not made by hands. Other favorites of mine when I crossed the US with my parents decades ago were the Badlands, the Deserts (Painted was one I seem to remember) and the Petrified Forrest. Just so amazing to see a lightning storm break over the Badlands as we did. In fact I have both the Grand canyon and the Badlands as Screen background.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@marcsman said:

Not far from Vegas.

Nature VS Plastic.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just went earlier this year and it was awesome. No picture does it justice.

I recommend taking either a sunrise or sunset bus tour. It sounds a bit tourist-y but it's worth it.

Also, be careful. A lot of people die at the Grand Canyon. There are guardrails for a reason. I hopped a couple to sit along an edge but that shit is scary. The wind can be surprisingly strong up there so you can easily lose your footing.

Welp, have fun!

Markiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Markiel

I hope it will be fun From what it looks from their website Grand Canyon it is an amazing place. I hope to get on one of the helicopter tours and on this thing called Skywalk. Has anyone done this?

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like the others have said, the Grand Canyon is really something you need to see in person to fully appreciate. You don't realize just how big it is until you are standing right there.

One of the nicest ways to see it is by train. The Grand Canyon Railway goes from Williams to the Grand Canyon and is a really nice way to see Northern Arizona. The Skywalk is kind of disappointing. It's quite a distance from the normal Grand Canyon stuff and when you get there, there isn't much to do. If you find yourself around Flagstaff, you might want to check out a place called Walnut Canyon. It's a small trail in the mountains that leads to some Indian cliff dwellings you can walk through.

Depending on when you go, you should be prepared for snow. Even though most of Arizona is a desert, northern Arizona is actually pretty high in elevation and gets a lot of snow during the winter.

Zamolxes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zamolxes

I bought a Phantom 2 Vision drone and I will definitely use it to fly and film over the Grand Canyon if I ever go there

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By audiosnow

@markiel: If you can afford the time and have access to a vehicle, I'd suggest going to Bryce Canyon National Park. It's a nine hour round-trip from the Grand Canyon, but I found it much more beautiful. It's far less crowded, the smaller scale makes it easier to appreciate, and the colors and features are more striking.

No Caption Provided

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I should probably go to there. I live in Arizona and I've never seen it.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By senrat

@markiel: It is a scam. Do NOT do the skywalk on the west rim. It is a run by an indian tribe that will squeeze as much money out of you as possible. It is the definition of a tourist trap. Its not even very good. If you need further convincing than just read some google reviews. I recommend just going to the grand canyon national park. The canyon is spectacular, I hope you enjoy your visit.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@senrat said:

@markiel: It is a scam. Do NOT do the skywalk on the west rim. It is a run by an indian tribe that will squeeze as much money out of you as possible. It is the definition of a tourist trap. Its not even very good. If you need further convincing than just read some google reviews. I recommend just going to the grand canyon national park. The canyon is spectacular, I hope you enjoy your visit.

Would second this.

Enjoy it, I was geared up to be disappointing but it completely lives up to the hype.