• 138 results
#1 Posted by RedCricketChase (443 posts) -

The movie in question is The Avengers. I have never gone stag to the theater before. I hope I don't instantly turn into a sad middle-aged balding man in a too-tight polo shirt upon entering by myself! :\

#2 Edited by MethodMan008 (805 posts) -

Haha, no one looks at you twice man. No one in my group of friends is really into super hero movies so I've seen The Avengers by myself twice already. :P

#3 Posted by BeachThunder (11648 posts) -

I was considering doing that recently...I just couldn't do it. Anyway, good luck :o

#4 Posted by csl316 (7980 posts) -

I've done that on occasion. I kind of like it because you get to focus totally on the movie.

And no one else will care about you, honestly.

#5 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

I've seen Chronicle, The Hunger Games and The Cabin in the Woods by myself. I'm also going to be seeing The Avengers by myself as well. I don't care.

#6 Posted by Ali_D (142 posts) -

I've gone to the flicks by myself a few times, mostly because I know my friends don't want to go and see the wanky-foreign language art flicks I enjoy.

#7 Posted by Patman99 (1557 posts) -

I was going to do the same thing... Fear not, in your loneliness, you are forever connected to us other lonely guys going to see The Avengers.

We will all see the movie together but in different dimensions of time and space.

#8 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I don't understand why people make a big deal out of going to the movies alone.

#9 Posted by RazielCuts (2911 posts) -

I did that with Inception and Toy Story 3D, it was fine. The only problem is afterwards there's no one to discuss right away the film you just watched.

#10 Posted by Olqavtoras (218 posts) -

I've seen some movies by myself, it's kinda nice.

#11 Posted by Vinny_Says (5681 posts) -

I saw terminator 3 alone in theaters once, everything turned out okay in the end.

#12 Posted by MrJorOwe (278 posts) -

I've never done it, don't see it as that bad though. On the other hand I take every opportunity to point out and question the motives of people at the cinema by themselves. Enjoy.

#13 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I've done it like twice, but if its a movie like The Avengers it's totally, fucking, worth it.

#14 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

Just don't go to any kids movies and you'll be fine.

#15 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

I was in the group of "man that's weird" before I remembered that it was sitting in a dark room without talking. Now I do it all the time!

SEE THE FILM, YOU DONT NEED ANYONE.

#16 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

It'll be all good. Also, Avengers was pretty fucking awesome.

#17 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

I've done it twice on some mind-numbingly boring days. Avengers would not be an ideal movie for it, though. Seems like a film I would want to discuss with friends afterwards.

#18 Posted by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -

WIERDO!... Sorry, i just wanted to provide a counter to all of the positive responses people have provided you with.

#19 Posted by YI_Orange (1124 posts) -

I don't even see movies in theaters because I PREFER to watch them by myself. Fuck all those people and their constant noise making.

#20 Posted by Lukeweizer (2586 posts) -

I go to movies and restaurants by myself all the time. Sometimes, company is just overrated.

#21 Posted by blueinferno (440 posts) -

I saw Cop Out by myself, and I was more ashamed of seeing Cop Out then I was of going to the movies by myself.

#22 Posted by ascholzk (261 posts) -

Yeah no big deal, I saw Cabin In The Woods alone last week.

#23 Posted by JCTango (1358 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

Same here... it's not like you're going to be having full on conversations with your friends during the movie if they went with you anyway...

#24 Posted by XenoNick (1390 posts) -

I did the same thing a few months bag when I went to see Paranormal Activity 3. Didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

#25 Posted by UitDeToekomst (699 posts) -

Good for you. Solo is the only way to go to a movie. I wouldn't have it any other way, personally.

#26 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

I don't know what you're talking about man. Going to the movies by yourself can be awesome.

#27 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

Really? I go by myself all the time. It's easier to talk to girls that way too... or guys. Whatever, I don't judge.

#28 Posted by probablytuna (3525 posts) -

I don't see how it's such a big deal in seeing movies by yourself. I don't even look at going to the cinemas as a social activity because we really don't do anything social when watching the movie unless you talk, which I find very annoying when I'm trying to concentrate on the film.

#29 Posted by HellBrendy (992 posts) -

You know what I want to do? Go with all the people going alone.

#30 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

Because people are obsessive about what other people think about them.

I think.

#31 Posted by countinhallways (632 posts) -

I often go to the cinema on my lonesome. It's awesome.

It means I can go at the drop of a hat, whenever it suits me, without having to rally up a selection of my friends. It makes a great break from long study/work sessions.

#32 Edited by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -

I used to do that a lot, and I am considering doing it again because I hate having to rely on friends to accept my invite or hoping that a friend may invite me, which has a slim chance of ever happening. When I used to do it, nobody said or looked at me differently so I don't see any reason they would act differently towards you.

#33 Posted by BaneFireLord (2908 posts) -

I almost always go to movies stag. I never feel any shame and no one ever gives me weird looks or thinks less of me. Don't worry about it.

#34 Posted by HatKing (5787 posts) -
#35 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

who cares i seen some movies by myself, no problem here.

#36 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

There are two things I'll never do by myself; go to a movie theater or eat at a pizza buffet.

If you're a bold enough individual, by all means go ahead. I just have a hard time imagining many solo things sadder than that, its "no one showed up to my birthday party" tier for me.

#37 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

I did that with Inception and Toy Story 3D, it was fine. The only problem is afterwards there's no one to discuss right away the film you just watched.

This really , is not about you being by yourself but not being able to say to the guy/girl sitting next to you "did you see that!" or discussing the film while your walking out of the theater.

#38 Posted by pyromagnestir (4195 posts) -

Back when screened.com was a thing we cared about (some of us anyway), I made a poll on said thing asking about this very phenomenon, as I've never gone to a theater by myself, and wanted to see what others thoughts about it were. It apparently wasn't that big of a deal. I still haven't done it though, but I might go Tuesday to see The Avengers, perhaps.

@Cloudenvy said:

@BraveToaster said:

I think.

For me it's that my favorite part of going to the movies with people is the discussion of said movie afterwards... Without that I'm just driving half an hour to the nearest theater to see a movie in a room full of strangers (who bring with them the possibility of ruining said movie watching experience by being obnoxious) and it feels weird to think about that. And paying out the ass to do so.

#39 Posted by RobotHamster (4170 posts) -

I was going to do the same thing but then my brother asked if I wanted to go so I just went with him.

#40 Posted by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

You will be arrested upon exiting the theatre, and I for one am petitioning for a harsher punishment for those caught. I never understood why going to a movie alone is such a terrible thing. Watching a movie is a solitary experience since you shouldn't be talking to people during the movie anyway unless you are a world class douche bag.

#41 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -
@Zippedbinders

There are two things I'll never do by myself; go to a movie theater or eat at a pizza buffet.

If you're a bold enough individual, by all means go ahead. I just have a hard time imagining many solo things sadder than that, its "no one showed up to my birthday party" tier for me.

How about "I watch My Little Pony and have a My Little Pony avatar" tier?
#42 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

I went to see The Avengers by myself, and there were loads of people there who were on their own as well. I think it's a better experience, I can sit where the hell I want, I don't have people nudging me asking about plot points, no one taking your dipping into your munchies. Solo cinema is great.

#43 Posted by Hailinel (23689 posts) -

I've gone by myself to movies on occasion. Sometimes, there are just movies I want to see that don't interest any of my friends, or scheduling conflicts just keep getting in the way.

#44 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

Back when screened.com was a thing we cared about (some of us anyway), I made a poll on said thing asking about this very phenomenon, as I've never gone to a theater by myself, and wanted to see what others thoughts about it were. It apparently wasn't that big of a deal. I still haven't done it though, but I might go Tuesday to see The Avengers, perhaps.

@Cloudenvy said:

@BraveToaster said:

I think.

For me it's that my favorite part of going to the movies with people is the discussion of said movie afterwards... Without that I'm just driving half an hour to the nearest theater to see a movie in a room full of strangers (who bring with them the possibility of ruining said movie watching experience by being obnoxious) and it feels weird to think about that. And paying out the ass to do so.

But even if you had friends to go with you, there's still a chance of someone ruining the movie for you.

#45 Posted by CaLe (3897 posts) -

You should go with your mom.

#46 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

@OllyOxenFree said:

@Zippedbinders

How about "I watch My Little Pony and have a My Little Pony avatar" tier?

Nope, I watch My Little Pony with my girlfriend and most of my other friends when we're in the same room.

#47 Posted by pyromagnestir (4195 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@BraveToaster said:

I think.

But even if you had friends to go with you, there's still a chance of someone ruining the movie for you.

But then you get to call that person a dick with your friends. Far more fun than doing so alone.

#48 Posted by DeF (4778 posts) -

@MethodMan008 said:

Haha, no one looks at you twice man. No one in my group of friends is really into super hero movies so I've seen The Avengers by myself twice already. :P

same here.

it's a non-issue. don't turn this into something it's not because of what you think other people might think about you simply because you go see a movie alone.

besides: seeing movies with other people adds nothing since YOU are watching the movie. it only matters if the film is supposed to be ridiculous and you need someone to laugh with (like bad horror flicks)

#49 Posted by jking47 (1207 posts) -

I have done it before, actually kind of nice. But then again I don't really like people in general...

#50 Posted by Video_Game_King (35838 posts) -

What's a "see a movie"? Did you misspell sceamuvy?