#1 Posted by ch3burashka (5069 posts) -

For those living under a rock, soylent.me.

I've been considering it ever since I've heard of it about a year ago. Hadn't bitten until today. It'll take 5 months to get here.

Whilst I wait, anyone have any experience with it? Good or bad? The spokesman/CEO claims he's been on it for years with no adverse effects, but he'd say that anyway.

Please, keep the trolling at a minimum.

#2 Posted by TheHT (11244 posts) -

IT'S MADE OF PE--mmffffkgh

#3 Edited by myketuna (1693 posts) -

This is actually the first I've heard of it, so I guess I've come out of my rock.

I am intrigued by what it's "supposed" to be, but unsure if I'd ever take the plunge myself. I'd be interested in reading your thoughts about it after you've had some time with it. Seems like that'd be fun.

#4 Edited by Zella (748 posts) -
#5 Posted by darkvare (766 posts) -

is this viral marketing for a remake of soylent green?

#6 Posted by ch3burashka (5069 posts) -

@zella said:

I haven't really looked into it at all myself but I know Ars Technica have covered it quite a bit. They documented trying it out for a few days: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/08/ars-does-soylent-day-1-embrace-the-chalky-weird-sweetness/

Doesn't seem like my thing, enjoy my normal food far too much. Could be a good disaster survival stock pile to have on hand depending on its shelf life though.

The point is to mix it in with your daily routine. You can have quick breakfast and lunch shakes, then sit down for an actual meal for dinner. It's a supplemental replacement, I guess?

As for the stockpile, their forum has people making their own, so you can do that too.

#7 Posted by cassus (376 posts) -

I'm going to get this once it becomes more readily available. Been waiting for something like this forever. Eating food doesn't really give me much pleasure anymore. I've eaten everything I want to eat, several times. Feels good in my tummy when I'm super hungry, but that's about it..

Making food is the most boring thing ever. Especially when taste is unimportant. I think Soylent and similar will be great for people like me. People who have a hard time being arsed to keep themselves properly nourished. Singles with hobbies, basically. Those who are destined to have their bodies just crap out at 35.

I'm 35. Nutrition is important. I'd rather drink this and not feel bad than have a juicy omnom that took me 30 minutes to make and 45 seconds to consume. That's like having a Kill Death ratio of 1:30 in a game.. No fun.

The creator was on Colbert. They said it tastes pretty "neutral". That means it can be used as filler for lots of stuff, the same way you would with soy or ground up anuses.

#8 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (784 posts) -

@cassus said:

ground up anuses.

Am I reading this right?

#9 Posted by ch3burashka (5069 posts) -

@cassus said:

I'm going to get this once it becomes more readily available. Been waiting for something like this forever. Eating food doesn't really give me much pleasure anymore. I've eaten everything I want to eat, several times. Feels good in my tummy when I'm super hungry, but that's about it..

Making food is the most boring thing ever. Especially when taste is unimportant. I think Soylent and similar will be great for people like me. People who have a hard time being arsed to keep themselves properly nourished. Singles with hobbies, basically. Those who are destined to have their bodies just crap out at 35.

I'm 35. Nutrition is important. I'd rather drink this and not feel bad than have a juicy omnom that took me 30 minutes to make and 45 seconds to consume. That's like having a Kill Death ratio of 1:30 in a game.. No fun.

The creator was on Colbert. They said it tastes pretty "neutral". That means it can be used as filler for lots of stuff, the same way you would with soy or ground up anuses.

I liked him on Colbert. He seemed genuinely sad when confronted with the comical yet accurate, "But I wanna eat shitty, greasy food!" comment from Colbert. Again, he's the main dude behind the product, but he seemed real enough.

Also, 4 months is a long time, but it's not like it's going to get any more available in the near future. Order it, forget about it, be surprised when it comes to your door.

#10 Posted by CorruptedEvil (3259 posts) -

I might order some for use in smoothies/milkshakes (no actual clue what the difference is)

#11 Posted by Hailinel (24766 posts) -

The point is to mix it in with your daily routine. You can have quick breakfast and lunch shakes, then sit down for an actual meal for dinner. It's a supplemental replacement, I guess?

As for the stockpile, their forum has people making their own, so you can do that too.

That's the same basic advertising line as Slim Fast shakes. One for breakfast, one for lunch, and then an actual dinner. There's nothing new or innovative about this concept at all. And I'm not sure I'm ready to trust how safe a diet dependent on this new Soylent product actually is.

#12 Posted by TehBuLL (609 posts) -

I'm very curious. I watched the videos they did on vice(or a vice spinoff) about it. Weirdly I love food, cooking and different flavors. But I like the idea of having THAT MUCH less to think about when it comes to what to eat. I'm also waiting for this to amp up a bit more than the months wait, but when it is reasonable I will try. The talk of them finding out they were missing nutrients that only occur when food breaks down was frightening but hey...the future!

#13 Posted by uniform (1835 posts) -

We can't get it in Canada, so a co-worker has been making a DIY emulation. This person has not had lunch in a few weeks and seems to be fine with that. I'd try it, but I can't get past the whole looks like vomit thing.

#14 Edited by AMyggen (3038 posts) -

For those wanting a primer on Soylent, The New Yorker had a really good article about it a few months ago.

#15 Posted by CornBREDX (5274 posts) -

Such a good fucking movie.

Ok, I'll stop.

Seriously, though, this is an interesting concept. I'm not completely convinced it's wholly good for you, though.

I want updates when you start eating it.

#16 Posted by Quid_Pro_Bono (269 posts) -

@hailinel: I think the biggest difference is that the pre-production science seems to be solid, and shows that it is actually a suitable food replacement. It's not like slim fast, what with promises of "shedding pounds" and shit. It's just your cold, hard, vitamins and minerals which are necessary to keep a human body alive. You could subsist on nothing but Soylent, but the longterm effects are not easy to understand just yet, so for me personally it's a wait and see situation.

If it seems to prove harmless, I would certainly replace all my food with soylent without a second thought. I have a pretty busy schedule, so I have difficulty remembering to prepare food, and I would just prefer to get my nutrients from a sludge. I know it sounds gross and lazy to some people, but eating is like getting dressed to me in that I just really don't want to have to think about it. I do find joy in eating with friends and family, but I wouldn't mind the sludge option.

#17 Posted by Fattony12000 (7409 posts) -

#18 Posted by SubwayD (498 posts) -

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this develops. Been suffering chronic stomach problems for years now, leading to all kinds of weird malnutrition and missing out on life due to being generally being miserable, so something like this sounds like a damn good idea.

But, oh man, do I get mad when "foodies" come out and totally trash the idea.

#19 Edited by MB (12389 posts) -

I don't understand what the difference is between Soylent and any number of protein shakes & meal replacement drinks that have already been on the market for decades, besides the marketing. As far as I can tell, the difference is that the products that are already on the market, like EAS Myoplex, have been developed by teams of real food scientists and are much more nutritionally sound than Soylent.

All the ingredients look like like typical EAS Myoplex stuff. It seems like the main difference is the way this product is billed as "oooh, the future!" instead of being targeted at athletes or for weight loss. I actually did a little bid of reading about this product when it was first mentioned by someone on Giant Bomb, and I found so many articles questioning or outright debunking the science or legitimacy of Soylent that I didn't give it another thought. Until now. This is on my "I can't believe people buy that crap" list.

#20 Edited by TruthTellah (9045 posts) -

@mb: I think the appeal of Soylent is scientifically getting down a drink for your specific need. It's ever-evolving, but unlike many kinds of food replacements, it's meant to be most or all of your meals. Meal replacements tend to be supplements to ordinary eating or temporary, while Soylent is intended to be a long term solution for you in particular. Instead of trying to replace foods, it's trying to get at the very root of chemical needs. Functionally, it's very similar, but it's more like a different approach than something completely different.

I agree, though, that a lot of this is the pitch. My brother can't eat normal food due to his disability; so, he lives solely off of a Nutren variant through a feeding pump to his stomach. He has no other food, and he has lived that way for over 13 years. It works. The big apparent difference here is in that approach. Finding a nutrition solution not because you can't have food but because you want to replace food. Functionally similar but with a different intent.

Also, I'm glad my brother doesn't have to actually taste his food replacement. Just from years of putting it in the pump and occasionally getting it on me, it's not great. ha. But it gets the job done when pumped right to him; so, I'm really glad it's around.

#21 Posted by Pezen (1604 posts) -

Looks like any other meal replacement out there. I used to live on things like that for a while when I tried to lose weight. It gets super repetitive and boring after a while. I did lose some weight, but I've had better weight loss with proper food and exercise. But as a "I don't have time to cook right now" supplement, it's useful. Though in most of those cases lately, I usually just take a regular ass protein shake.

But I enjoy cooking and real food so I don't think I would ever do something like this forever. If they ever were able to figure out a way to make it all into a pill and you could design it to suit your specific needs and health goals, that would be something. But having to blend/shake and drink a questionable tasting liquid that covers your basics.. at some point spending a little extra time to actually get your nutrition in a form that's appealing and tasty might just be worth the effort.

#22 Posted by Bane (405 posts) -

I placed my order for Soylent back in May with an expected delivery sometime in October/November.

Despite my best efforts to try to enjoy cooking - I just don't. From the grocery shopping to the cooking to the cleaning up afterward I find everything about it to be a pain in my ass. Plus, that's time spent dicking around in the kitchen that I'd rather spend doing something I actually enjoy. Soylent is exactly what I want: calorie controlled, nutritionally complete, and easy to prepare. I'm looking forward to it.

#23 Posted by dudeglove (7841 posts) -

It's as bland and as boring as the product's creator. It got a lot of attention because the crowdfunding for it hit over a million, with about another 1.5 million from venture capital firms, coupled with this whole fanaticism over Bay Area start-ups "solving the world's problems through tech".

Problem is, because the FDA classifies Soylent as a "supplement" and not a "food" - it's not held to the same strict standards. You can sort of guess what happened next when Vice investigated.

So, yeah, be friggin careful if you decide to eat that crap. I'll stick with the devil I know.

#24 Posted by Jesus_Phish (784 posts) -

Instead of this just buy a George Foreman, a pot for pasta/rice/eggs and another to steam vegetables. Now you can cook pretty much everything in 10 minutes with 2 minutes to clean up.

#25 Posted by Demoskinos (14826 posts) -

Yeah, I like food too much.