#1 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

So to make a long story short, my fucking laptop is bricked and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to buy a new one. I've got zero experience when it comes to buying a laptop because the last time I had to do this the school I was looking at required students to have a MacBook. What's that shit right? But that isn't the fucking point, the fucking point is now this piece of shit is now just a tropical paperweight with a depressing color scheme.

I don't even know where to start with this shit, all I know is that when people have problems they go onto internet forums and post about them, so that's what I'm going to do.

I'm not looking anything fancy, I just want something that can be a computer and run games not horribly without draining my bank account. Any help would be appreciated, and perhaps you will be rewarded some day. I'm not going to guarantee a prize, but maybe that hope is enough of a reward in these troubled times.

Also I really want to play Rogue Legacy and I fucking can't, so there's that.

#2 Posted by jimmy_p (278 posts) -

There is no such thing as bricking a computer/laptop.

#3 Edited by timlump (152 posts) -

Integrated graphics have gotten pretty good in the last few years.

You should be able to get a half decent laptop for around 500 these days. Just make sure it has at least an i3 processor or an i5 if you can get it, an i7 processor would probably only be in the next level of computer.

Avoid Toshiba though, WiFi cards in them seem a bit dodgy.

#4 Edited by CreepingDeath0 (176 posts) -

"I'm not looking anything fancy" "...run games not horribly" What kind of games do you want to not run horribly? If you mean something like BF3 then you're looking of a minimum spend of around £500 or £600. If you mainly plan to play small indie games you could probably knock £200 or £300 off that price.

Do you have any kind of budget?

Also, what kind of school forces people to purchase a MacBook? I thought they were places of learning, not ignorance! :P

#5 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

If you mean something like BF3 then you're looking of a minimum spend of around £500 or £600.

This is exactly the price range I am looking at.

#6 Posted by gkhan (437 posts) -

Check out the The Wirecutter, this is exactly what they're there for.

#7 Posted by CastroCasper (1301 posts) -

I too, went to a school that required a MacBook pro. Mine still works though, just ended up upgrading my PC. This doesn't help you at all.

#8 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@jimmy_p said:

Yes there is, if your laptop turns off during a bios update then chances are it's dead and you're fucked. At least with a PC you can just swap the motherboard out, at worst this'll only mean the motherboard and all integrated parts of it are useless, the rest of your PC should be fine for use with a fresh motherboard.

#10 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

"Bricking a laptop" Just buy a Mac. You are no longer qualified to own a PC. Clean out your desk and go to the Apple store.

#11 Edited by believer258 (11897 posts) -

This is the part where I sigh and mutter something along the lines of "you motherfuckers are assholes".

So, @lordxavierbritish, what sort of games do you want to run? You can get a laptop that can do pretty much anything except graphics intensive stuff for ~$500-$600. If you're only looking to play indie games and older games, maybe some other stuff that doesn't need much, something along those lines will be fine. Just look for at least 4GB of RAM and a 3rd generation Intel i3 or i5 processor.

If you're looking to have a full-on gaming PC, though, you're going to need something more substantial and that will cost more, in the ballpark of $700-$800 if you build a medium-end desktop yourself. A laptop of that caliber will be in the thousands.

#12 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

McBook air is pretty much the best all around laptop by a long shot, specially the 2013 (haswell) model is around 9 hours of battery.

#13 Posted by Hunkulese (2722 posts) -

@donpixel said:

The McBook air is pretty much the best all around laptop by a long shot.

Except that it runs OS X

#14 Edited by alternate (2702 posts) -

@hunkulese said:

@donpixel said:

Except that it runs OS X

and is double the price.

#15 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@hunkulese said:

@donpixel said:

Except that it runs OS X

and is double the price.

Ohh you guys stuck in the 90s, the first one is not an issue anymore specially when you consider W8 sucks balls. Second: the value proposition is pretty good, its a terrific machine all around.

#16 Edited by DGBruin08 (91 posts) -

@hunkulese said:

@donpixel said:

Except that it runs OS X

and is double the price.

And you are practically shamed into buying a new one every year.

#17 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

@alternate said:

@hunkulese said:

@donpixel said:

Except that it runs OS X

and is double the price.

I'm still loving my 2012 Air, why would I buy the new one?

#18 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@alternate said:

@hunkulese said:

@donpixel said:

Except that it runs OS X

and is double the price.

My GF still has a 2005 black McBook, it uses it everyday and still works fine with the latest OSx. No one forces you to buy one each year, Apple updates its computers based on intel's tick/tock updates.

As far as I'm concern Macs are still the best long term value computers out there.

#19 Posted by CreepingDeath0 (176 posts) -

@creepingdeath0 said:

If you mean something like BF3 then you're looking of a minimum spend of around £500 or £600.

This is exactly the price range I am looking at.

This is the laptop I got about a month ago. It runs BF3 on high at around 40-45fps, 60-70ish on medium and it cost me £608. Unfortunately amazon has since gone out of stock, but perhaps you can find an alternative via google. If you are willing to go slightly more expensive for a better graphics card there is this available.

Also, for what the opinion of a random person on the internet is worth, I've been using Acer laptops for gaming for the last 7 or 8 years. They've always been incredibly reliable machines for me. In fact I only just retired my last laptop because it was about 4 years old and beginning to struggle with a handful of modern games.

Also, as someone said earlier, try to avoid Toshiba laptops. I'd add overheating problems to his wireless ones.

#20 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1584 posts) -

@donpixel said:

McBook air is pretty much the best all around laptop by a long shot, specially the 2013 (haswell) model is around 9 hours of battery.

They're great for a lot of stuff. And if you get the Apple Care plan you can smash it just for fun and get a new one.

#21 Edited by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

@donpixel said:

@alternate said:

@hunkulese said:

@donpixel said:

Except that it runs OS X

and is double the price.

Ohh you guys stuck in the 90s, the first one is not an issue anymore specially when you consider W8 sucks balls. Second: the value proposition is pretty good, its a terrific machine all around.

Care to explain how "Windows 8 sucks balls"? And, please, don't say that "the interface sucks, it's meant for tablets", because you can use Windows 8 without using a single Modern app at all. And with Windows 8.1 you can skip directly to the desktop, if spending literally one second on the Start Screen bothers you that much. But, do please explain why your experience with Windows 8 has been so terrible.

Also, MacBook Airs are not "pretty much the best all around laptop by a long shot". Not at all. If you're looking for portability, then sure, they are good. They are ultrabooks and they do exactly what you want them to do: a good compromise between performance and weight. But they are by no means gaming machines, period. If you are not moving around a lot and need to carry your PC around with you all the time, there are far better alternatives, both in terms of performance (both for programs and games) and price.

If you're looking for an ultrabook, the Asus VivoBook S550CA is a pretty good option for your price range, @lordxavierbritish. Ultrabooks don't have (AFAIK) a dedicated GPU, though, so you'll probably have to deal with the Intel HD Graphics on-CPU option, which won't be that good for gaming... They've come a long way since the early days of gaming-capable integrated graphics, for sure, but still, it's not a replacement for a dedicated GPU, and specially with that budget.

#22 Posted by TheHT (11240 posts) -

@donpixel said:

@alternate said:

@hunkulese said:

@donpixel said:

Except that it runs OS X

and is double the price.

double the price is a pretty good value proposition. okay.

#23 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

Why don't you just bulid your laptop like all of us PC master race members do every weekend.

#24 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1584 posts) -

Oh man. This is going to devolve into the Mac vs. PC argument. It's like the music argument. It has no real answer cause it's a matter of opinion. Like which music/game/computer/brand of chicken nugget, is better.

#25 Posted by myketuna (1693 posts) -

@sooty said:

@jimmy_p said:

Yes there is, if your laptop turns off during a bios update then chances are it's dead and you're fucked. At least with a PC you can just swap the motherboard out, at worst this'll only mean the motherboard and all integrated parts of it are useless, the rest of your PC should be fine for use with a fresh motherboard.

This exact thing happened to me when I was upgrading my dad's BIOS on his laptop. I... I try not to remember that day.

#26 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@theht said:

@donpixel said:

@alternate said:

@hunkulese said:

@donpixel said:

Except that it runs OS X

and is double the price.

double the price is a pretty good value proposition. okay.

First: "double price" is an hyperbole they aren't priced twice the price of its PC counterparts (25% to 30% max)

Second: Quality its far superior to most windows OEM, so you get what you pay for.

#27 Posted by Tireyo (6413 posts) -

Neither do I, but it does what I want it to do.

#28 Edited by audioBusting (1534 posts) -

I just spent a lot of time researching for a new laptop, here's some tips:

1. Check if it has a dedicated GPU. This is pretty much necessary if you don't want to run games not terribly. Having both dedicated GPU and integrated is also key, if you want good battery life when not playing games.
  2. Compare the CPU with the price. Some stores sell overpriced 2nd gen Intel Core laptops. The easy way to check Cores is the first number in its name, e.g. i7-2xxx is 2nd gen and i5-3xxx is 3rd gen.
  3. Always check for its heat distribution. My last laptop runs terribly because of overheating, and laptops can break itself because of that. I usually just run my hand over the laptop keyboard in stores, since usually they've been running for hours. Having one hot small spot is usually bad. Some review sites do benchmarks for these, which is helpful.
  4. Be sure of the laptop size you're looking for. This narrows your search greatly.
  5. Be very wary of the label "gaming laptop". It usually means that it's overpriced and heavy. You may not want to dismiss them entirely, though.
  6. Sites like notebookcheck.net and cpuboss.com are very helpful in comparing your choices.

I think these are pretty key, while most everything else depends on your preference and how much you're willing to pay. I ended up with a Clevo laptop, which I found to be almost flawless but a bit pricey. Clevo laptops' price and options depend on their many resellers (if it can be customized, it's probably Clevo) , but it's worth looking into.

#29 Edited by PandaBear (1371 posts) -