I don't think I'm fit to "play" journalist.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Edited By MetalGearSunny

For a while I’ve been a bit of a wannabe gaming journalist. I wrote quite a few blogs months ago, and I was really passionate about it. But now, having realized that there is way more to life than video games and websites and all, I don’t think I’m too fit for the game writing hobby.

Maybe it’s because I’ve been busy with school work, or maybe it’s an obsessive crush I’ve had over a girl over the past few months, but I’m just not motivated to post blogs about video games or to even play video games anymore.

I don’t play as many games as I used to and I don’t think that I want to. There is more than life than this, but saying that doesn’t mean I’ll pop in a video game once a week to pass the time.

This also means that I don’t finish games as fast as I could before. I play less, shorter sessions so obviously it will affect the time it takes me to beat it.

I still enjoy playing games, but I’m not as passionate about it now than I was many months ago. This blog is a note to myself. A note that I don’t need to write blogs about video games. I don’t need to review games. No one is really depending on me.

I can do whatever I want with my time, and I don’t think I want to write about video games. 

I think that I’m really trying to say is that I enjoy playing games but not enough anymore to write a long blog post about it or anything. I’m kind of burned on the whole “blogging” concept.    
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MetalGearSunny

For a while I’ve been a bit of a wannabe gaming journalist. I wrote quite a few blogs months ago, and I was really passionate about it. But now, having realized that there is way more to life than video games and websites and all, I don’t think I’m too fit for the game writing hobby.

Maybe it’s because I’ve been busy with school work, or maybe it’s an obsessive crush I’ve had over a girl over the past few months, but I’m just not motivated to post blogs about video games or to even play video games anymore.

I don’t play as many games as I used to and I don’t think that I want to. There is more than life than this, but saying that doesn’t mean I’ll pop in a video game once a week to pass the time.

This also means that I don’t finish games as fast as I could before. I play less, shorter sessions so obviously it will affect the time it takes me to beat it.

I still enjoy playing games, but I’m not as passionate about it now than I was many months ago. This blog is a note to myself. A note that I don’t need to write blogs about video games. I don’t need to review games. No one is really depending on me.

I can do whatever I want with my time, and I don’t think I want to write about video games. 

I think that I’m really trying to say is that I enjoy playing games but not enough anymore to write a long blog post about it or anything. I’m kind of burned on the whole “blogging” concept.    
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By EpicSteve

That's cool. I'm doing and risking a lot for the chance to get into "the biz". But it's a job that requires motivation.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By beargirl1

my blogs aren't even blogs (which is a very good thing). they're just crazy things that i can't add into status updates. 

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Willy105
@EpicSteve said:
" That's cool. I'm doing and risking a lot for the chance to get into "the biz". But it's a job that requires motivation. "
And being able to stand criticism.
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Meh. As of late the "Journalist" Arnt really giving me a reason to read their stuff. Course a review is nice now and then. It does seem everyone is trying to jump into that little job of "Journalist"  

And of course Life comes first. As long as you do not fully give up gaming. I have not play any games for more then two hours in about a week. In truth I have not played a console game in a week. And mostly its just TF2 for PC. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By natetodamax
@EpicSteve said:
" That's cool. I'm doing and risking a lot for the chance to get into "the biz". But it's a job that requires motivation. "
But aren't you in the military?
HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By HadesTimes

Games are more fun when they aren't what you do for a living.  Just have fun, you might come back to journalism once your out of school.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By meteora
@EpicSteve said:

A lot of risking, I might add. =/  

But its entirely understandable (to the OP). A lot of us have dreams that we may never fully realise, or change over time. I originally dreamed to be a astronomer, studying the stars. Then a freaking politician. And after that an architect. Then maybe a musician. Now? I'm looking into becoming a graphics designer, going into the gaming business or joining the army and see where I can go from there.  

Don't take it too hardly. 

@natetodamax said: 

@EpicSteve said: 

But aren't you in the military? "
He is. He just joined up. 
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Willy105 said:
" @EpicSteve said:
And being able to stand criticism. "
That removes a lot of this site.
PixelResponse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By PixelResponse
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
"I enjoy playing games but not enough anymore to write a long blog post about it or anything. I’m kind of burned on the whole “blogging” concept.     "

Understandable.  Like any hobby or career it is something that takes time, dedication and a passion for doing so if you feel you have none of those to devote it would be ridiculous for you to continue such an exercise in futility.  
I wish I had the time to do writing like I used to... I would love to spend all day playing games and writing about them, but maybe one day.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EpicSteve
@natetodamax said:

" @EpicSteve said:

I joined the military for a lot of reasons. The main reason being the free college benefits. Jobs are incredibly hard to come by in my area, and my family doesn't have the money to support my education very well. So I got Uncle Sam to help me get my Bachelor's in Journalism with some education in  media production on the side. After I've served overseas and get my deploma, my fiancee and I are moving to California so I can work for interviews and hopefully land a job. I'll be doing traditional journalism until then.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kmdrkul

Good riddance.  How tired I am of people using the terms "journalism" and "journalist" in vain.  If just half the people who claim to be aspiring "gaming journalists" knew that writing crummy reviews of games on their blog realized that that's nothing nothing nothing like what any actual journalist does day to day I'd be happy.  I don't mean to single you out OP, but I needed to get it off my chest.  Sick of people watering down a profession that I'm legitimately working my ass off to get into. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By natetodamax
@EpicSteve said:
" @natetodamax said:

" @EpicSteve said:

I joined the military for a lot of reasons. The main reason being the free college benefits. Jobs are incredibly hard to come by in my area, and my family doesn't have the money to support my education very well. So I got Uncle Sam to help me get my Bachelor's in Journalism with some education in  media production on the side. After I've served overseas and get my deploma, my fiancee and I are moving to California so I can work for interviews and hopefully land a job. I'll be doing traditional journalism until then. "
Well, that's one way of doing it!
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JoelTGM
@AjayRaz said:
" my blogs aren't even blogs (which is a very good thing). they're just crazy things that i can't add into status updates.  "
well it's meant to be a web log, so you're actually doing it correctly, using it sort of like a journal.
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@kmdrkul: I think myself and a lot of other people on this site are guilty of thinking that way and I understand where you're coming from with that. 
I don't think writing blogs are even close to what real journalism is, hence the title "playing journalist."
Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Do what makes you happy. Sometimes that changes, so you have to change with it. Oh, and a woman can definitely motivate you in a different direction. Just make sure you don't change to appease.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By beargirl1
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" @AjayRaz said:
" my blogs aren't even blogs (which is a very good thing). they're just crazy things that i can't add into status updates.  "
well it's meant to be a web log, so you're actually doing it correctly, using it sort of like a journal. "
i think they're a little shorter than journals. i mean, if you just look at what i've put up, it's just usually an image with a caption lately. 
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EpicSteve
@natetodamax said:

I feel like when I eventually land an interview and I explain what I did, they'll think I'm ridicules. 

To the OP I ask if you're interested in "real" journalism.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By natetodamax
@kmdrkul said:
" Good riddance.  How tired I am of people using the terms "journalism" and "journalist" in vain.  If just half the people who claim to be aspiring "gaming journalists" knew that writing crummy reviews of games on their blog knew that that's nothing nothing nothing like what any actual journalist does day to day I'd be happy.  I don't mean to single you out OP, but I needed to get it off my chest.  Sick of people watering down a profession that I'm legitimately working my ass off to get into.  "
I am guilty of thinking that way. I'm glad I read your post.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Diamond

My interest in videogames has been steady for enough decades now that I know lack of interest won't ever be my problem.  I enjoy writing too, which is a very important aspect of wanting to be a 'journalist'.  I don't know if I'd want to be on a schedule and being told what games to play and review though.  I just wish our site had more viewers and people TO BE critical. 

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#21  Edited By Vinchenzo

Yeah, you're definitely not fit for the job. Most people who write professionally know what a paragraph is.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

The major problem I have with gaming journalism is that the industry isn't doing a lot to challenge them. All the controversy ends up happening before the game even comes out in the form of stupid press releases and corporate drama; the games themselves aren't making very large marks on media as a whole and they aren't doing a lot that is thought provoking or even generally interesting. Every once in a blue moon they get a Portal or Batman that challenges our perceptions of what a game can be, but most high profile releases aren't doing a lot for community as a whole. 

That's just an outsider's opinion though.

Ekasra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ekasra

You know, reading this thread made me come up with an idea. Maybe Giantbomb should sponsor one of you wannabe game journalists a week by putting a well written user submitted review for a current game on the front page. That way, gives the person some exposure and something a little more official to put on their resume and promotes the community. Win win.  

There was a point where video games was going to be a career choice for me, but I knew that making it my every day life would have taken away all the fun. Also, playing bad games makes my head hurt. A lot.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vinchenzo
@Ekasra said:
"   You know, reading this thread made me come up with an idea. Maybe Giantbomb should sponsor one of you wannabe game journalists a week by putting a well written user submitted review for a current game on the front page. That way, gives the person some exposure and something a little more official to put on their resume and promotes the community. Win win.  "
Go to home page. Scroll down. Duh...
Ekasra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ekasra
@Vinchenzo said:
" @Ekasra said:
"   You know, reading this thread made me come up with an idea. Maybe Giantbomb should sponsor one of you wannabe game journalists a week by putting a well written user submitted review for a current game on the front page. That way, gives the person some exposure and something a little more official to put on their resume and promotes the community. Win win.  "
Go to home page. Scroll down. Duh... "
  My point exactly. So out of view and pushed under the rug that if an every day user doesn't remember it's there, an average user probably doesn't know it exists. 
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Milkman
@Ekasra said:
" @Vinchenzo said:
" @Ekasra said:
  My point exactly. So out of view and pushed under the rug that if an every day user doesn't remember it's there, an average user probably doesn't know it exists.  "
Don't start this shit again.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By meteora
@Vinchenzo said:
" Yeah, you're definitely not fit for the job. Most people who write professionally know what a paragraph is. "
Now that you mention it... =/ 

@Ekasra said:
" @Vinchenzo said:
" @Ekasra said:
  My point exactly. So out of view and pushed under the rug that if an every day user doesn't remember it's there, an average user probably doesn't know it exists.  "
I notice that is there. <_<
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MetalGearSunny
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kmdrkul
@Metal_Gear_Sunny: 
@natetodamax:  

Don't get me wrong, it's great to see enthusiasm for the profession which has admittedly taken a bit of a hit in recent years (Take the LA Times for example, they used to have a staff of about 500, they are now down to roughly 150...) even if your perception of journalism is a little... off.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Vinchenzo
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @Vinchenzo: The paragraphs looked perfectly fine where I originally wrote it. "
A paragraph is something consisting of 3 or more sentences. Most of those still aren't even paragraphs.
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@Vinchenzo said:
" @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @Vinchenzo: The paragraphs looked perfectly fine where I originally wrote it. "
A paragraph is something consisting of 3 or more sentences. Most of those still aren't even paragraphs. "
I honestly don't give a fuck. This is a blog post, not an essay.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By Claude

Maybe you're just growing older. When I was your age, video games weren't shit. I had an Atari 2600 and a couple of arcades I went to. I played video games, thought about video games and even dreamed about them, but never thought about writing about them. I was 31 when the N64 came out, shit that's old and look at me now, still playing. But do I want to write about video games for a living, hell no, I just do what I do and move on. Still here, writing my crappy ass blogs from time to time. 

Maybe video games and writing is leading you down a different path. Always remember to ask yourself the simple questions, who, what, when, where and why.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kmdrkul
@Vinchenzo said:
A paragraph is something consisting of 3 or more sentences. Most of those still aren't even paragraphs. "
Actually, a paragraph in the vast majority of newspapers is only one sentence.

See?  I can be a dick too.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @Vinchenzo said:
I honestly don't give a fuck. This is a blog post, not an essay. "
What happened to wanting to be a games journalist?
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@HandsomeDead said:
" @Vinchenzo said:
What happened to wanting to be a games journalist? "
I'm sorry, I thought this whole post was about me realizing that I probably shouldn't take writing stuff seriously and just chill out. I don't give a shit about paragraphs in this particular situation. Fuck off. 
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By natetodamax

Good to see you all getting along so well.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @Vinchenzo said:
What happened to wanting to be a games journalist? "
I'm sorry, I thought this whole post was about me realizing that I probably shouldn't take writing stuff seriously and just chill out. I don't give a shit about paragraphs in this particular situation. Fuck off.  "
Temper, temper. See Willy105's first comment in the thread.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By meteora

I think that we're delving ourselves too deep into the OP's personal bubble. Time to chill with the jabs, guys.

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JazzyJeff

I feel you, man. 

I think a lot of people who are passionate about gaming go through a phase of wanting to be a journalist. After all, journalists are the source for all of our information. We build a connection,and eventually start to look up to them more than we do the designers/artists/writers. You know, the people who actually make games.   

Don't get me wrong -- I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to be a game journalist. But I do think the profession is romanticized (on multiple levels) in many people's minds.

BackpackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By BackpackKat

Look Sunny, idk why your making yourself choose between a "normal school life" and being a amateur journalist you can have both. I am about the same age as you and get where you are coming from what with school work that feels like it will last forever and the chick who you think you must change your ways to have any chance with. To be honest with you dude, if it the chick does not like you for the lovable nerd you are then do not bother with her. You are obviously passionate for games and writing so why stop. And just so you know, I love your blogs and your perspective on games. Just think of all the things games of done for you. You have ended up here with over 150 people who are watching your every move. All the friends you have made on here (such as nate and systech). What I am saying is do not give up, keep writing, go to college, get a degree, maybe meet a chick who you do not have to obsess over for months before she notices you and loves strange obsession with dave grohl and giant bomb, and get a job at game site doing what you love.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

If you do get back into it, check out stuff like AP Style to help you out.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By armaan8014
@HadesTimes said:
" Games are more fun when they aren't what you do for a living.   "
What? Really? I was looking to do that... You've further confused me now :(
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@armaan8014 said:

" @HadesTimes said:

" Games are more fun when they aren't what you do for a living.   "

What? Really? I was looking to do that... You've further confused me now :( "

When you do something as a profession you learn the ins and outs of the trade and begin analyzing everything that falls within the same medium to the point that you no longer can enjoy it the same way you used to. It's the abstract equivalent of pulling the stage away from the puppet show and watching the hands underneath. Now obviously a gaming journalist isn't going to know all the techniques and technologies that go into making a game in their entirety, but that criticizing writer you thought you left at work is always sitting right on your shoulder whispering shit into your fucking ear as you play a game.  

It can be both rewarding and somewhat sobering as you are trading one experience for another, the net gain in that is up to the individual. 

I should know, because that is pretty much my daily experience in everything I fucking do at any point in time ever. Movies, games, books, music, comics, television; it's really awesome and like hell at the same time. So if you like awesome hells then journalism is good career of choice.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By Dalai

You have the rest of high school and probably some of your college years to decide what you want to do. Nobody ever follows their childhood dreams or we'd all be policemen, firemen, and doctors.

AndyWilliams24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By AndyWilliams24

It's a very hard profession to get into. Especially when you are new to the scene and only starting out. It's not like getting a normal job where you just put an application in and hope you get a call back - it's about what you write, how you express yourself. If you really do want to be a journalist, keep trying. I've been following your blogs here since day one. 

My main problem was inspiration and motivation. If it takes you hours to write a good piece, but next to nobody reads it, it can feel like a right blow. But when you know hundreds upon thousands of pieces are reading your work, it's one of the best rushes you can get. 

Send me a PM is you decide you want to keep trying. I run a gaming website, I'm sure I could help you out.