I Fucking Hate Tokyo (Blog Post and Rant)

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

EDIT:  It was a group suicide on the tracks!

Today a couple douche bags jumped on the JR Yamanote Line, for those of you who don't know, the Yamanote is the most used public line.  It goes in a circle around the inner wards and post populated cities (Shibuya, Shinjuku, Akiba, Tokyo, Ikebukero, etc).

I got to Shibuya at 8:00 from my local line and was forced to talk an alternative line, attached are pictures of the hell that happened.  I was stuck at Oiimachi for close to 2 hours because they wouldn't let people enter or LEAVE the station.  They also wouldn't let anyone board...but they were allowing new trains to drop off passangers. 

Anyways, I got to school at well after 10:00 due to a couple fucking douches jumping on the worst line and at the worst time.  The JR Yamanote is still offline, and the situation is getting worse.  I'm stuck at school now and want to go home to play DotA...I'm skipping my class becuase I'm so fucking upset.

This city is a fucking joke...the cops don't know what to do, and they still haven't cleaned up all the shit. 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By toowalrus

Yeah, Tokyo seems like it would be awesome to visit, but awful to live there.

I spent one night in a Tokyo airport (but never saw the sky, indoors the entire time). It was right in the middle of that SARS thing, and everyone was wearing surgical masks. We ate an authentic Japanese dinner of "lightly salted" pringle chips, and green tea ice cream from a little duty free shop, and watched some stupid cartoons. It was like 3am and everything was closed.

Also, not one fat-ass in that crowd.

mr_korean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mr_korean

Soo many people... I can't get over the fact that I would feel so insignificant among that crowd

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

Those people need to move and fast. Breath deep and exhale.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fr0br0

How long have you been living there? It seems like a place that would be hell for the first year or so because of how crowded it is. But maybe you might get used to and understand the flow of people after some time.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KaosAngel
Claude said:
"Those people need to move and fast. Breath deep and exhale."
The problem was they weren't ALLOWED to.  The trains were all broken, people weren't allowed to LEAVE the station and change for a taxi.  BUT, new passengers were allowed to be dropped off...so you get MORE people on a limited amount of space.  I fucking hate idiots who jump...it's fucking hell when they do it on the most used public line!
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KaosAngel
Fr0Br0 said:
"How long have you been living there? It seems like a place that would be hell for the first year or so because of how crowded it is. But maybe you might get used to and understand the flow of people after some time."
Dude, I've been here for 2 years and it's NEVER like this.  There were cops outside stations making sure no one left the station.  The crowds are NOTHING like this.
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fr0br0
KaosAngel said:
"Fr0Br0 said:
"How long have you been living there? It seems like a place that would be hell for the first year or so because of how crowded it is. But maybe you might get used to and understand the flow of people after some time."
Dude, I've been here for 2 years and it's NEVER like this.  There were cops outside stations making sure no one left the station.  The crowds are NOTHING like this."
I can't say because I've never been there, but I've seen pictures and videos where trains are just mobbed with people to the point where you can't even move. Hate to be there when it seems to be even worse.
LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

hey KaosAngel, can you explain to me why you are in Tokyo for 2 years now? I really want to visit Tokyo someday because it look like an awesome place.

Canberra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Canberra

Was everyone else complaining?

yorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By yorro

Yeah playing DotA would definitely cool your head off or worsen it.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KaosAngel
LiveOrDie1212:  I got to business school here...wanna be a producer for movies or video games.  Hah.  Fallback is business...

Canberra:  You have no idea...once the police blocked off the exits...people were really upset.  First time I've seen them yell at cops...a lot were on their phones yelling at their business' secretary to tell her what was going on.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Claude

Well, let's hope it's only temporary... I wonder what happened to cause this? I couldn't find any news, sucks anyway.

ishotmrburns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By ishotmrburns

I fucking love Tokyo.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KaosAngel
Claude said:
"Well, let's hope it's only temporary... I wonder what happened to cause this? I couldn't find any news, sucks anyway."
It was a group suicide.  No one knows why they did...but if it's due to the economy or something stupid, I hope their families pay the $10,000 they normally have to due to all the delays and cleanup crews.
RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By RichardLOlson
Tokyo is awsome...I mean I understand that it is crowded, but you have to take into consideration that tokyo is like new york, people.....business....people.....business....and so on.
Canberra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Canberra

it sounds like a real mess-up, aren’t Japanese trains famously punctual? I’d have been super pissed at those two kids, damm anarchists.
Edit: I wrote the last bit before I heard that it was a suicide pact.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#18  Edited By AgentJ
Canberra said:
"

it sounds like a real mess-up, aren’t Japanese trains famously punctual? I’d have been super pissed at those two kids, damm anarchists.
Edit: I wrote the last bit before I heard that it was a suicide pact.

" They are indeed punctual. I was in Tokyo for about a week back in January, and i could almost count on my watch how many seconds between yamanote trains there would be. By the way Kaos, are you living within the "downtown" area or do you take another train to get in? While I was there I stayed across the street from the Shinagawa stop.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Milkman

You know what always cheers me up?

A trip to Junes. 
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Dalai

I just wanna know how you got the rant option.  Is that a new Giant Bomb feature I was unaware of?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KaosAngel
AgentJ said:
"By the way Kaos, are you living within the "downtown" area or do you take another train to get in? "
I live in Suginami-ku, which is outside the city and more of a living area.  It takes me 15 minutes to walk to the station, and then 15 minutes to get to Shibuya or 7 minutes if I take the same line but express.  Depends on my mood...lol.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#22  Edited By AgentJ
KaosAngel said:
"AgentJ said:
"By the way Kaos, are you living within the "downtown" area or do you take another train to get in? "
I live in Suginami-ku, which is outside the city and more of a living area.  It takes me 15 minutes to walk to the station, and then 15 minutes to get to Shibuya or 7 minutes if I take the same line but express.  Depends on my mood...lol."
Ah man, you go to school in Shibuya... thats kind of friggin cool. And that commute isn't bad at all. It takes me longer to drive to college.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KaosAngel
AgentJ said:
"KaosAngel said:
"AgentJ said:
I live in Suginami-ku, which is outside the city and more of a living area.  It takes me 15 minutes to walk to the station, and then 15 minutes to get to Shibuya or 7 minutes if I take the same line but express.  Depends on my mood...lol."
Ah man, you go to school in Shibuya... thats kind of friggin cool. And that commute isn't bad at all. It takes me longer to drive to college."
Nooo, my school is by Tamachi.  I mean, the only way for me to get into the city is to take the train to Shibuya.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By atejas

Not as bad as Bangalore, I assure you.

houevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By houevil

I've never been to Japan before but i would love to visit! i grew up in a small village in the UK, but after degree, i moved to Hong Kong for my career, ive been here for a year now and the pics seem really simular to HK stations :D

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By singular

Damn track jumpers. Why can't they overdose themselves or slit their wrists like any decent person would do.

/sarcasm

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Linkyshinks
ishotmrburns said:
"I fucking love Tokyo."

Me too, I have been twice now and I love it. It would not concern me at all living alongside that many people. Tokyo's public services are second to NONE and their people apply respect to everyone.

Try living in Bombay/Mumbai for a month, as I have one. Now that's fucked up.

yorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By yorro
Linkyshinks said:
"ishotmrburns said:
"I fucking love Tokyo."
Me too, I have been twice now and I love it. It would not concern me at all living alongside that many people. Tokyo's public services are second to NONE and their people apply respect to everyone.Try living in Bombay/Mumbai for a month, as I have one. Now that's fucked up."
Apparently some people never lived in a highly populated, highly polutted third world country before. You don't want to see me rant about that.
zidane33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By zidane33

i'd love visiting tokyo one day

Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pirate_republic

I really don't see what the big draw of Tokyo is... a homogenized, overpopulated, and insanely polluted city. TGS maybe, but that's it.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RetroIce4

I would love to visit Tokyo, but live there? Hell No! Nobody there seems to take any time off. Its a overpopulated always working area. Depressing, but cool culture.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KaosAngel
pirate_republic said:
"I really don't see what the big draw of Tokyo is... a homogenized, overpopulated, and insanely polluted city. TGS maybe, but that's it."
The funny thing is, all those Otaku kids that love it...don't realize that the Japanese hate them.  There's a reason why Japanese otakus commit suicide and don't have friends here...it's worse when those American kids come here for it. 
dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By dr_nefarious

God I hated living in Houston because of it's over-populace but to imagine living there..well it must be hell.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KaosAngel
dr_nefarious said:
"God I hated living in Houston because of it's over-populace but to imagine living there..well it must be hell."
You get used to it.  The problem is when something goes wrong.  Japanese people don't know what to do in times of change.  it was hilarious, last year there was a minor earth quake and some of the subway lines were shut down for security reasons...and the workers at the stations didn't know how to get everyone home.  It's like...dude, turn on your cellphone...type in your address and find the secondary land rails.  If Americans like me could do it day 1 in Japanese, so can they.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By toowalrus
KaosAngel said:
The problem is when something goes wrong.  Japanese people don't know what to do."
Tell me about it. Where you there during the great Godzilla attack of '54?

No Caption Provided

SirSynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SirSynapse

Man, that sucks. I agree on the Police being completely pathetic.

Still love the city though, lived here for quite awhile and the crowds aren't so bad - depending on where you are and what you're used to (barring situations like the one you were in and the train at rush hour - being pressed up against the glass/Japanese businessmen.)

pirate_republic said:

"I really don't see what the big draw of Tokyo is... a homogenized, overpopulated, and insanely polluted city. TGS maybe, but that's it."
Well, Don't go to Japan for TGS - now THAT place is overpopulated. Can barely get through the sea of people to where you want to go. Last TGS there really wasn't anything worth standing in line for 4 hours anyway.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By crunchUK

wow.... that is nightmarishly crowded. glad i live in an ENGLISH SUBURB!!!