#1 Edited by narujoe93 (2434 posts) -

I hate them so fucking much. I live in new york, and we've had them in the past, but this year has been the worst by far. In the last 3 days I've gotten rid of about 30 in my room alone, though they were coming in through my ac which I just took out.... Hopefully that stops the horde.

I mean, it's starting to get a little chilly out so I understand that they like the warmth of my house, but fuck that! Those bastards are some prehistoric looking fuckers that fly around like mad men. If they let me take them outside without a hassle we would be fine, but no. They fly right into my face and take over my room? Im smashing those mothers with a bat! Granted, my room smells a little weird right now, but I'll frebreeze that shit up later; apple spice delight..

Have you ever had to deal with stink bugs before or other little critters? Sound off about these ass holes in the comments below

#2 Posted by narujoe93 (2434 posts) -

And now that I look at that picture I feel bad because he looks really sad (the eyes). Though, I also found out that they bite you in your sleep and leave marks........

#3 Posted by Grilledcheez (3919 posts) -

They're all over the place here, but they rarely get into my house...if they do I just put them on a piece of paper and take them out (they seem much calmer than the ones your describing lol). I have been around ones that have been killed, and yeah, THEY STINK

#4 Edited by oldenglishC (858 posts) -

No stink bugs, just hundreds of box elder bugs crawling around on the sides of my house. I spend about half of the fall season murdering these little fuckers with a sprayer full of dish soap and water.

#5 Posted by narujoe93 (2434 posts) -

They're all over the place here, but they rarely get into my house...if they do I just put them on a piece of paper and take them out (they seem much calmer than the ones your describing lol). I have been around ones that have been killed, and yeah, THEY STINK

Lol, Im overexaggerating a bit, but they do seem more aggresive this year. One was flying in circles around my ceiling light very erratically; buzzing really loud. Then, suddenly, stopped flying and fell from the ceiling to the floor. They're loose cannons, and I just cant abide by that

#6 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2150 posts) -

I remember dealing with those when Ilived in New Jersey for a year. I fucking hated those fuckers. I'm so glad I'm back in California.

#7 Posted by Veektarius (4147 posts) -

I live in New York, but can't recall ever having problems with them.

#8 Edited by stryker1121 (1237 posts) -

In my old place I used to get midges, which are common in the Great Lakes region where I live. They would get through my AC during summer, or through every conceivable crevice and I'd be clearing them out by the dozens, sometimes the hundreds. Very annoying.

#9 Posted by SunBroZak (838 posts) -

I'm grateful I live in a country where we don't have exotic insects. Just flies and highland midges.

#10 Edited by OmniscientCajun (96 posts) -

During my senior year at college in southern Virginia, I lived in a house where my bedroom window (with an A/C unit) was right above the awning over the front door. A large tree stood in the front yard and part of its branches overhung the front door awning. I moved to that place in late August. No problems until, actually around this time, late September.

There were days where I had 10-12 on my walls when I got home from class. It was the worst in the late afternoon. I sealed as much of my windows as I could after my initial dealings with them, but they found a way. Fortunately, there's no risk of infestation as they must be outside to reproduce.

I hated crushing them and getting that off-sour apple smell on my fingers and in the air, even through paper towels/tissues. My method of dealing with them developed from initially just getting them outside, to flushing a few down the toilet. After a few disposals that way, I realized that might spike my water bill, so I adopted the method I used for the rest of my encounters with them. I apologize if this seems sadistic to anyone - it very well may - but it was also ruthlessly efficient:

I would take a small strip of packing tape, steadily but swiftly adhere it to one of their backs, pull them off the surface, then immediately seal the tape around them. Straight into the trash after that, most of the time with no stink left behind at all.

I'm a guy who tries to capture and release spiders outside, I won't go after insects unless they are directly bothering me or someone who requests aid. But when that many pests invade my space, the area where I spend the most time, the situation needs to be rectified. So @naru_joe93, I feel your pain, or rather, your inconvenience and frustration.

#11 Posted by narujoe93 (2434 posts) -

During my senior year at college in southern Virginia, I lived in a house where my bedroom window (with an A/C unit) was right above the awning over the front door. A large tree stood in the front yard and part of its branches overhung the front door awning. I moved to that place in late August. No problems until, actually around this time, late September.

There were days where I had 10-12 on my walls when I got home from class. It was the worst in the late afternoon. I sealed as much of my windows as I could after my initial dealings with them, but they found a way. Fortunately, there's no risk of infestation as they must be outside to reproduce.

I hated crushing them and getting that off-sour apple smell on my fingers and in the air, even through paper towels/tissues. My method of dealing with them developed from initially just getting them outside, to flushing a few down the toilet. After a few disposals that way, I realized that might spike my water bill, so I adopted the method I used for the rest of my encounters with them. I apologize if this seems sadistic to anyone - it very well may - but it was also ruthlessly efficient:

I would take a small strip of packing tape, steadily but swiftly adhere it to one of their backs, pull them off the surface, then immediately seal the tape around them. Straight into the trash after that, most of the time with no stink left behind at all.

I'm a guy who tries to capture and release spiders outside, I won't go after insects unless they are directly bothering me or someone who requests aid. But when that many pests invade my space, the area where I spend the most time, the situation needs to be rectified. So @naru_joe93, I feel your pain, or rather, your inconvenience and frustration.

HOLY SHIT! I didnt think of tape!!!!! I tried to vaccuum them, but when they are stuck to whatever surface they are on, they are STUCK. The tape method seems very effective, so thanks for that advice

#12 Posted by rachelepithet (1254 posts) -

Never noticed the smell. Seem to have more of them than usual this year in NY state. If they stay on the kitchen light I don't care, the buzz themselves to death and I imagine the cats get to them.

#13 Posted by thejke (76 posts) -

A couple years ago there was a day that I removed more than 40 of them. I moved furniture, checked the blinds and lamp and everything else, but they just kept coming. Definitely more than 100 in a week. They were coming in though my window air conditioner. I left it on to try to stop them, but they would still go in and get flung against something inside the AC. I would hear them smack up against the AC, then a couple seconds later I could smell it. It didn't kill them which was the real problem. Every year around this time they try to get in.

#14 Edited by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -

I have these in my house, they are big and fast; thankfully they don't fly.

They kill spiders, but I think I'd rather have the spiders, they are dumb and sit there waiting to be squashed, these things hide until night then go nuts...

#15 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (928 posts) -

@kidavenger: They are common in households. If you keep your place cooled with AC then they won't be around for long.

#16 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3031 posts) -

Stinkbugs are like my least favorite thing of all time. I just killed a mouse with a trap and I think I'd seriously rather deal with that than the stinkbugs I helped my mom kill. She had a real problem so I helped her take her AC unit out and tape up her window and I shit you not, there were about 80 in the windowsill/AC unit.

Fucking bastards.

#17 Posted by UngratefulDead (61 posts) -

We got a bunch of them in my dorm the last few weeks. As far as I could tell, they were getting in through a window that was really close to a tree. Just closed it, no problems afterwards. I mean, that is until I come back to find it open. Curse you roommates!

#18 Posted by Tireyo (6382 posts) -

I do too, and I hate black snakes too. That's what here in the country music state.

#19 Posted by captain_max707 (471 posts) -
#20 Posted by Disaya (261 posts) -

@kidavenger: ugh why did you have to post that, I hate those things. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with those in a while.

#21 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4494 posts) -

@omniscientcajun said:

HOLY SHIT! I didnt think of tape!!!!! I tried to vaccuum them, but when they are stuck to whatever surface they are on, they are STUCK. The tape method seems very effective, so thanks for that advice

I haven't tried it yet with stink bugs - luckily I don't get more than a couple a week - but we get a shit ton of camel crickets (or spider crickets, or whatever the fuck. the creepy ones), and laying down a strategically placed strip of duct tape works wonders. When you've got a decent number trapped, just peel it up and throw it away.

#22 Edited by Dalai (6878 posts) -

There seemed to be this small, yet really annoying stink bug problem in my bedroom pretty much all of last year. There would normally be one, maybe two flying around for a day until I get sick of it and get rid of the pest. The next day, another one starts flying around. I'd get rid of that one and the next day, the cycle continues and continues.

But this year the spiders are trending so maybe they took care of the stink bugs for me.

#23 Edited by devilzrule27 (1235 posts) -

Hated those suckers when I lived up in Jersey. Of course since i moved to Florida I have to deal with Palmetto bugs and lovebugs so it's not exactly an upgrade. At least they don't stink.

#24 Posted by supamon (1325 posts) -

@kidavenger: Thanks for unsettling me the fuck out. :(

#25 Edited by egg (1339 posts) -

In NYC I had a stink bug like 2 years ago which was very surprising to me since I have NEVER encountered one before and have yet to since.

Oddly I never noticed a smell. It's probably a good thing I took care of it before I realized what it was, otherwise I'd be too afraid to deal with it out of fear of activating the stink.

#26 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (2596 posts) -

I've never heard anyone go "I love stink bugs." Just to put things into perspective, I've heard someone say "I love rodents!"