I have high cholesterol.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I went to the doctor and found out that I, like my father, have high cholesterol. Any one else have high cholesterol. What's the best way to deal with it?

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Eat less fats. And more fish oil. I'm no doctor.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Me too. Exercise and don't eat cheese. There's more you can do. Ask the doctor.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Write in short sentences.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By PandaBear

So the doctor told you that you have high cholesterol and gave you no advice? And you figured a video game forum was the best place to come for potentially life saving medical advice?

Eat less junk. Exercise more.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

Eat healthy, lose weight if you're fat, exercise. There's medication if that becomes necessary, but lifestyle changes are the most important thing. The whole reason you want to keep your cholesterol in check is that excessive levels increase the risk of suffering cardiovascular disasters like myocardial infarction and stroke, and lifestyle changes will help control not only the cholesterol, but other important risk factors, too: triglycerides, blood pressure, blood sugar and so on. (Also, let's not forget all the other benefits of exercise and a healthy diet, like becoming stronger, faster, more attractive etc.)

Avatar image for librorumprohibitorum
LibrorumProhibitorum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Take the stairs

code3xbl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@max_cherry You say, "like your father."

I can assume the doctor acknowledged that your cholesterol cannot be further lowered through diet and exercise? If that is the case, you will end up on a daily pill.

I am on one pill to take care of both my high triglycerides and cholesterol.

When I had my first elevated blood test results, I asked the doctor to give me time to adjust my diet and exercise, as i was not doing at the time. Four months later, the cholesterol went down a little but was still way too high, the triglycerides went up. The doctor recommended starting the pill immediately as diet and exercise was not enough.

Do elaborate.

If you want to exercise, I would recommend T25. It's an easy program and doesn't take much time to squeeze in a schedule. I work all day and take MBA classes at night and squeeze in the workout. You will be soaked by the end of the 25 minutes.

For dieting, you can definitely find articles online tackling that, such as reducing red meat, eat more fish, etc. In addition, meals that you might not have considered before.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Touch her shoulder

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@max_cherry: Quit the bail bonds business - that's probably what's causing it. And hang out with Winston more.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you should eat better and do some exercise if you can.

Eat LOTS of oatmeal, like every morning at breakfast, it's great for controlling cholesterol, also all sorts of nuts, almonds, seeds etc, pumpkin seeds lightly toasted are great for a snack, and is one of the healthiest foods there is, just don't exaggerate on the nuts because they are highly caloric.

And of course, drop the fatty foods.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Eat foods with lower cholesterol, go for a walk (1hour) daily will greatly reduced cholesterol

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Not really relevant or helpful, I've always eaten what I want without my cholesterol going up or down, and I'm fairly omnivorous, and my doctor hates me for it out of sheer jealousy.

Eitherway, fish is great. Even tuna!

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Eat more plants, exercise more.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eat less meat, get your cholesterol intake through plants/vegetables, excersize daily. But most of all, eat less salt. Hypertension + high cholesterol is a deadly combo. You might want to ask more of your family if they have high cholesterol, it might run in the family, i.e. familial hypercholesterolemia.

But this is asked better your doctor. Take your meds, it will reduce risk of strokes and ischeamic heart diseases in the long run.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I tend to eat hippy foods my sister cooks for me. It's nice, and then a glass of wine each night. I don't have high cholesterol but my father died of an undetected build up in his heart of something it's escaping my mind right now. There's more then other tests that need to be preformed each time you see a doctor, because they don't know jack shit, so you gotta pressure them and they whine all the time. What's wrong with doctors? Like a passive aggressive husband.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

my father died of an undetected build up in his heart of something it's escaping my mind right now.

Myocardial infarction? Atherosclerosis? Coronory sclerosis/occlusion?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ask for health advice on a video game forum.