I hope District 9 make more than Transformers 2 .....

fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fynne

Sigh.....unlikely since it's not a traditional summer blockbuster.....but one can hope.  It's an amazing movie.  I'm really disappointed that Blomkamph didn't get Halo.  After seeing District 9, I believe he really could have done something with it.

Tirrandir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Tirrandir

Well, consider also that District 9 was made for $30 million.  Transformers 2 was made for ... $150?  $200?  I don't remember.  So profits made on District 9 will come quicker.  In fact, it made back its budget the first weekend.  

And in hollywood, all that typically matters is that people make money off of the product.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Bruce
@fynne: 

Not going to happen, sorry kiddo.
GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GoodKn1ght

i heard it had horrible acting and the only good parts were the special effects....

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By RedSox8933
@GoodKn1ght: You heard wrong.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By wefwefasdf
@RedSox8933 said:
" @GoodKn1ght: You heard wrong. "
Way wrong.
Storphrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Storphrax

Unfortunately, I doubt it will make nearly as much as Transformers 2, despite being how great it is (District 9 I mean).

GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GoodKn1ght
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" @RedSox8933 said:
" @GoodKn1ght: You heard wrong. "
Way wrong. "
lol well ok then
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Lies

Transformers is creeping up on 400 mil. D9 will be lucky to do 100 (it's sitting at 71mil after two weekends)

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422

With D9's budget its doing fine already, but if they get 100mil + then its definitely a success. There's no way they would ever make more money than a Transformers movie just because of what it is and everyone knows it. No matter how many of us know the movies are utter shit, a ton of people saw them, and continued to go see it.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Giantsquirrel

No fucking way. I liked District 9, but I don't agree with the universal praise it's been getting. I thought the first half was really interesting, but as soon as he got sprayed with goo I just knew something dumb was going to happen that would take the movie's realistic "what-if" premise to more generic sci-fi territory.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Optiow

I don't think it will happen...

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By maxszy

Haven't seen it yet but I will by the end of next weekend. While I don't think it will make the gross that Transformer's 2 did.. I think it is going to be a slow "sleeper" hit. For many (mainstream at least) it will be one of those that people didn't see right away because of the unknown but the more people say how fantastic it is, the more people will see it thus making them a hefty sum!

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By FCKSNAP

I'm pretty sure Sony and Tristar are gonna push it really hard around Christmas time for home video.

NickNorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By NickNorman

District 9 will never catch up to Transformers 2 for another reason: It's rated R.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By penguindust
Transformers is at  $398,436,000 in it's 9th week of release.  Estimated budget was $200,000,000.  Last weekend, in 749 theaters it made $965,000.
District 9 is at $73,491,000 in it's 2nd week of release in 3050 theaters.  It's estimated budget was $30 million.  Last weekend it made $18,900,000, down 49.4% off the previous weekend take.  

The movie is going to do well and since there is no real competition other than the new Tarantino movie, it should last a while, too.  But don't expect it to make anywhere near the $400 million Trans 2 did, either domestically or abroad.  And don't count on it selling as many DVDs either.  People are idiots and they buy what is familiar.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By RHCPfan24

There is no way that District 9 will make more than Transformers 2 but we can all rest assured that D9 will be remembered as a great film while Transformers 2 will (hopefully) be forgotten for the lifeless trash it is.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@NickNorman said:
"District 9 will never catch up to Transformers 2 for another reason: It's rated R. "
Yes, I was just about to say that. It has a much narrower audience.
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MeierTheRed

Sadly i don´t think that will happen.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By JoelTGM

Too many people went to see Transformers 2.  I don't understand some people... my friend goes to see it telling me how bad it will be, then after he sees it he tells me it sucks horribly, and I tell him either way they still took your money, you lost.  That's why even bad movies can profit.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By warxsnake
@GoodKn1ght said:
" i heard it had horrible acting and the only good parts were the special effects.... "
the guy who told you that probably didn't know that's how fucked up south African accents sound like.
goth_bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By goth_bacon
@RHCPfan24 said:
" There is no way that District 9 will make more than Transformers 2 but we can all rest assured that D9 will be remembered as a great film while Transformers 2 will (hopefully) be forgotten for the lifeless trash it is. "
Transformers 2 was the best movie I've ever seen.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By jkz

Nope, Megan Fox isn't in it.

And I agree with, uh, whoever it was, that it became a little too "generic sci-fi" towards the end. I still firmly believe that The Hurt Locker and Waltz with Bashir, both of which I watched this year (although Waltz with Bashir is from last year) were more interesting, thought provoking movies than District 9. 

It was good, but nowhere near the reverence people seem to be giving it.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

District 9 would have ben much much much better if the camera work didn't suck so badly. I'm okay with the close up camera view, but when it is so shaky that i can never see what the fuck is going on, I just get pissed off.  

I enjoyed the movie a lot, but the camera style took a lot away from it. 

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Griddler
@Lies said:
" Transformers is creeping up on 400 mil. D9 will be lucky to do 100 (it's sitting at 71mil after two weekends) "
I'm sure it will do 100 million, it has yet to come out here in the UK and I assume the rest of Europe so they should break the 100 mil mark when that happens.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By RHCPfan24
@goth_bacon said:
" @RHCPfan24 said:
" There is no way that District 9 will make more than Transformers 2 but we can all rest assured that D9 will be remembered as a great film while Transformers 2 will (hopefully) be forgotten for the lifeless trash it is. "
Transformers 2 was the best movie I've ever seen. "
Then you are part of the problem, aren't you? And I have the right to say that ;)
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#27  Edited By citizenkane

Considering that Transformers 2 has made $400 million in the U.S., I sincerely doubt it.  But, in the end, as someone else has sad, District 9 will be remember as a great sci-fi action film while Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen will be remembered as trash.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pause422
@goth_bacon said:
" @RHCPfan24 said:
I feel bad for you...
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ninjakiller
Fucking garbage like G.I. Joe and Transformers 2 rake in the big bucks while brilliant films like D9 barely make a buck.  People are stupid.

@RHCPfan24 said:
" @goth_bacon said:
" @RHCPfan24 said:
Then you are part of the problem, aren't you? And I have the right to say that ;) "

Agree completely.

Iggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Iggins
@warxsnake said:
" @GoodKn1ght said:
" i heard it had horrible acting and the only good parts were the special effects.... "
the guy who told you that probably didn't know that's how fucked up south African accents sound like. "

You should play farcry 2 china.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By teh_destroyer
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
" @NickNorman said:
"District 9 will never catch up to Transformers 2 for another reason: It's rated R. "
Yes, I was just about to say that. It has a much narrower audience. "
It actually has nothing to do with that. The average movie goer  would rather  go watch a movie with giant explosions and raw humor then something that has little to no action and a deep thoughtful meening built into it. Plus its movies like Terminator 3, 300, Dawn of the Dead and Bad Boys 2 R ratings did not stop them from being in the top box office as long as they did when they were released.