armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By armaan8014

SPOILERS!!!

So being a huge fan of the Deadly Premonition Endurance Run, as suggested by many people, I decided to check out the show Twin Peaks from where DP had apparently taken inspiration from. Not living in a country where the show used to be telecast, I had never heard of it.

The days of watching that followed were amazing. I immediately fell completely in love with the show (and it's characters), and the 10 minutes I would spend watching the show while having my breakfast became one of the best parts of my day.

So after about 2 months of this regular schedule of watching this show, I finally reached the last episode, A day I had begun to dread since I started season 2.

Ok, so the ending - My initial reactions were of extreme disappointment. I felt terrible that such a great show had to end this way, and all the characters that I cared about didn't have their stories resolved. Some were killed, some were just left hanging, and... I dunno I wanted to know more!
Alright, fine, at least Cooper and Annie were alive. I was worried that they might kill her off but they didn't. But WTF? Cooper is now inhabited by BOB? Why cooper of all people? I know it has some meanings behind it, but don't freaking kill your audience by doing this to their favorite character! 
Also, I found it quite weird that the show almost had two story lines. One of Laura's murder, and another of Windom Earle. I found it quite weird when they were like "mystery solved!" after Leland died, and I felt that was not the best way to end that plot. But anyways, the characters kept me going, and so I didn't mind.

The I started looking around on the web to read some discussions about the end, and I discovered that the show had been prematurely cut off by mother effers ABC, and that this was not the way Lynch had originally planned it to run. That is so UNFAIR! This show was a work of art, and it's possibly why ABC didn't get it. It's quite tragic, actually, when you think about it. The possibilities of what could have happened have also left me feeling a little depressed :(

Now maybe if I had seen the show when it had originally aired, I wouldn't have felt so terrible, but that show is from about 20 years ago! Along with the fans, I could have hoped for a season 3 for years and years, but at least there would've been some hope, not like now, when it's impossible for a season 3 to happen.
Also, I didn't realize how long a time 20 years is. I just went on IMDB, and saw their photos, and... oh my god Cooper.. is that YOU?!

No Caption Provided
 Then one by one I discovered all the cast of the show, which made me feel quite disturbed. It's weird to see how their lives turned out after the show. It's really sad that most of the casts' careers never really kicked off after the end of the show. Some of them don't even have a proper IMDB page! 
Also, I saw that the actor who Played Major Briggs in the show passed away in 2008. That just made the whole thing so much worse. May he RIP, he was such a great actor.
Everything has changed so much since the show, and I didn't know anything about it. I guess I just feel a little disconnected. Maybe I shouldn't have researched about their cast so quickly after watching the show :\

Anyways, It's a really sad the way the show ended and how some of their lives turned out after it.  For some of you Twin Peaks fans who had seen the show before DP must have enjoyed watching the ER a lot! I gotta play that game someday, might feel really good after the show.
Right now I'm watching the episode "Dual Spires" from Psych, which is apparently a tribute to TP, with some of the original actors making an appearance. I think that'll make me feel a little better :)

Oh and i'm also planning to start watching X - files. Is it a good idea to do that?

So what are your thoughts about all this? Did you recently watch the show and feel the same way? What did you think of the ending?
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Daveyo520

Oh shit, sorry too long for me. But I do love Twin Peaks and it suck their isn't anymore of it and it left on a cliff hanger. 

I am also going through all of the X-Files as we speak and am on season 3, yes you should do it. I loved the show before but I only saw it in scattered pieces never in order. 

Oh shit Kyle, what happened to you? Time, you bastard.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By dtat

I choose to pretend that season 1 and the first half of season 2 are the only parts of Twin Peaks ever made. It was so incredible that I just ignore the way it had to end. It's just the way of things: when something is that good, you get your hopes up, and what follows inevitably doesn't live up to what you'd hoped.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Evilsbane

Yea shame it ended so quickly, and Yea watch X-Files, Its awesome till David leaves the show, than its just rehash rehash rehash with a few gems buried in. Watch the first movie in sequence with shows and just stay away from the 2nd movie that I fucking waited forever for and got a crappy full length X-Files Episode.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Daveyo520
@Evilsbane: Ya the second movie is kinda a piece of shit. ALSO the Twin Peaks movie is pretty much a pile of shit too.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By crusader8463

I started watching it during the DP ER just so I could see all the connections they were talking about, and man were there a ton. Sadly I only watched the first season of TP. I got a few into season 2 and just gave up for some reason. But fuck god dam did that show have a great feel to it.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By htr10

Similar to what you found online, my understanding of the season 2 ending is that david lynch wanted to make ABC look stupid so he ended a show that had already been cancelled with a season cliffhanger of all cliffhangers (BOB in Agent Cooper).  The bottom line for Twin Peaks is that the first season caught the country by storm, but people had short attention spans (even back then) and the network "forced" the show to solve the Laura Palmer murder in the middle of season 2, which seemed to lead to a mass exodus of people from the fanbase and the inevitable show cancellation.  All in all, it is an amazing footnote in television history in the sense of going from being one of the most talked about entertainment phenomenons ever to being cancelled in about a year.  

Not for nothing, I do love the ending scene of Twin Peaks (i.e. the mirror scene and what led up to it), but I don't think anyone walked away from it without some sense of emptiness in that we got less from that creative team than we thought we should have gotten.

As far as X-Files, you might find some enjoyment working your way through the episodes sequentially, but it is a very different experience than watching Twin Peaks (not to mention a much, much longer commitment). 

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By armaan8014
@Daveyo520 said:

" Oh shit, sorry too long for me. But I do love Twin Peaks and it suck their isn't anymore of it and it left on a cliff hanger.  I am also going through all of the X-Files as we speak and am on season 3, yes you should do it. I loved the show before but I only saw it in scattered pieces never in order.  "

Alright, cool. I'll watch it then

@Daveyo520 said:
Oh shit Kyle, what happened to you? Time, you bastard. "
You don't have to be so harsh :\

@Dtat said:
" I choose to pretend that season 1 and the first half of season 2 are the only parts of Twin Peaks ever made. It was so incredible that I just ignore the way it had to end. It's just the way of things: when something is that good, you get your hopes up, and what follows inevitably doesn't live up to what you'd hoped. "

Well at least other people feel the same way as me. Yeah, the show was incredible before the Windom Earle part, I guess i'll ignore the later parts too.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Daveyo520
@armaan8014: It isn't that hash, he just looks so old compared to how he did on the show.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By armaan8014

Check this out it's incredible :D

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By armaan8014
@Daveyo520: No i think I misunderstood what you were saying :P
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Daveyo520
@armaan8014: Bam wow just too many references. Even the music! Even actors! 

I was just saying Mr.  MacLachlan  has agggggggggggeeeeeeeddddd.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By armaan8014
@Daveyo520: Lol that's what even I was saying but I thought you got irritated about me saying that :P

Anyways, Check this interview out, especially the end of the 3rd part is great. And she's still gorgeous. 

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Legend

I felt the same when I watched the show a few months ago. The movie didn't help much, too.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Daveyo520
@armaan8014: No I was calling time a bastard for aging him. nvm :P Oh when you watch the X-Files you will see how many people from Twin Peaks were on the show, some only for one episode. Besides Dave Duchovny the guy who played Scully's dad was Major Briggs. i have also seen the crazy backwards speaking midget and Hawk.
damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By damodar

HOW'S ANNIE?! 

Did you watch Fire Walk With Me?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By Yummylee

I watched the first season and left it there. I didn't like the show all too much, being really rather surprised at how weird it isn't; least in contrast to what I was expecting with all the Deadly Premonition similarities. Agent Cooper was fantastic, though everything else I found hard to love. How like there was only like 3 musical themes throughout the entire show, and there were far too many plots going on at once. Overall, I just found it pretty boring, and its hypnotic atmosphere always made me sleepy -_-'

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By armaan8014
@Legend said:

" I felt the same when I watched the show a few months ago. The movie didn't help much, too. "

I'm not sure I wanna watch the movie either. At least not yet. I'm still adjusting to the fact it's over :P

@Daveyo520 said:

" @armaan8014: No I was calling time a bastard for aging him. nvm :

Ah there's the confusion. I thought u were calling me for some reasone :P

P Oh when you watch the X-Files you will see how many people from Twin Peaks were on the show, some only for one episode. Besides Dave Duchovny the guy who played Scully's dad was Major Briggs. i have also seen the crazy backwords speaking midget and Hawk. "

Oh nice! The actor for Major Briggs passed away in 2008 btw :( His acting was so good!

@Damodar:
nope, not yet
@Abyssfull:
Well, the multiple character plots are the main thing of the series, so if you didn't like that, I can see why you didn't enjoy the series. Though I found the atmosphere relaxing not sleepy!
BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By BigLemon

Anybody else see Kyle Maclachlan and think, "Hey, kid from Blue Velvet!" ?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Daveyo520
@armaan8014: Ya I saw you mention that, it sucks :( He was a very good Military stern but wise and nice guy. In the X-Files he was just in the Navy not the Air Force.
So how was it seeing Mulder in a dress?
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By armaan8014
@Daveyo520: Oh I just looked him up and now realized he's the same guy who was in TP! Wow that's awesome, will enjoy watching him in X files :D
 Dress or no dress, his acting was incredible in TP :P
High_Nunez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By High_Nunez

Ah Twin Peaks. In my personal opinion, one of the most busted ass endings ever. So bummed they ended it on such a downer. Then double bummed when I excitedly ran to see the movie only to be left with even more questions. 

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Daveyo520
@armaan8014: Ya  David Duchovny is great and he does an amazing job in the X-Files. He deserves a staring role.
Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hourai

I've only seen an episode or two past where the killer is revealed. Is it worth watching the rest of it?

carminescarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By carminescarf
@BigLemon said:
" Anybody else see Kyle Maclachlan and think, "Hey, kid from Blue Velvet!" ? "
Also Dune & Wild at Heart.
David Lynch Loves Kyle MacLachlan.
Armada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Armada

To find that Don S. Davis died is sad news indeed. :(  He was great in SG-1.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By DrPockets000

Watching Twin Peaks gives me a very warm, comfortable, secure feeling.  It's profound.  I will never forgive abc for cancelling it.

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Eaxis

I got hold of Twin Peaks during the DP Endurance run, and I grew so fond of the show the more I watched. I skipped the movie and am glad to have done so. I also checked everyone up on IMDB and I felt a bit sad. But I was born the month the show aired so I of course have an excuse for not watching it. Twin Peaks has had a lot of re-runs where I live but I didn't know much about it at the time. It's so sad it got cancelled but maybe we wouldn't care as much if it got an ending it deserved.
sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sameeeeam

It was playing Alan Wake that convinced me to watch the show.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By armaan8014
@Hourai said:

" I've only seen an episode or two past where the killer is revealed. Is it worth watching the rest of it? "

Kind of. The show definitely loses its hold over the plot, but if you like the characters and the world and are a fan of it, you'll still love it. I;d recommend sticking through it.

@DrPockets000 said:
" Watching Twin Peaks gives me a very warm, comfortable, secure feeling.  It's profound.  I will never forgive abc for cancelling it. "

I feel completely the same way. Though now watching TP would leave me feeling a little sad, rather than secure :(

@Eaxis:
Well even I wasn't even born when it originally aired (born 1992) That makes it SO weird! All that I saw and loved was made before I was even born! AAAAAAA!

@Underachiever007:
I really need to buy an X360 and play that game. That and Deadly Premonition.
Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#31  Edited By Jazz

The whole point in twin peaks is that it was a piss take of stuff like Dynasty and Dallas that were big at the time. I actually found It's decent into madness during the second season to be absolutely fitting and completely hysterical. It's also pretty clear that Lynch had no real interest in doing a second series after the main storyline wrapped up and they just ran with it as an ongoing joke. 

If the Cabal ever made a TV show, it would be Twin Peaks.  

edit: 
@Underachiever007 said:

" It was playing Alan Wake that convinced me to watch the show. "
I've played the first 4 episodes of Alan Wake and I really don't see the connection. It's Stephen King, not David Lynch. It takes itself waaaaaaay to seriously. Twin Peaks is a parody wrapped in a murder mystery..from what I've seen of Alan Wake it's a Stephen King via Dean Koontz on a bad day. The video they show on the TV is a piss take of the Outer Limits/Twilight Zone. I..I really don't get this comparison at all.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Evilsbane
@Daveyo520 said:
" @Evilsbane: Ya the second movie is kinda a piece of shit. ALSO the Twin Peaks movie is pretty much a pile of shit too. "
Wasn't even aware of a Twin Peaks film...maybe it should stay that way, but yea man that 2nd X-Files movie honestly made me sick to my stomach, I didn't get into X-Files till about the time they were putting seasons 7-8 out on DVD, but I got hooked, watched all of them and than heard rumors of this Final X-Files movie and I was stoked, to have all those built up years of anticipation sucked out and spit on 15mins into the movie just fucking sucked. X-FILES = ALIENS  NOT...Pedo PRIEST?!?!
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Evilsbane
@Armada said:
" To find that Don S. Davis died is sad news indeed. :(  He was great in SG-1. "
Aww, Now I just found that out to...death is a stupid Bitch.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Daveyo520
@Evilsbane: Ya that was fucking dumb. Also Xibit? Really?
nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By nickux

I'm not sure if anybody will read this but I'd love to share my own Twin Peaks experience as it's kind of similar to the thread creator's. 

When I was in high school, it was either 2003 or 2004, one year on Halloween night, the channel Bravo was showing the first episode of Twin Peaks. My mom told me to check it out because she thought I'd like it. She was right and I was hooked. I fell in love with the show, it's characters, the darkness, the humor, Agent Cooper, everything. There's something about this show that, years later, it carries with it some unidentifiable quality which makes it so endearing. So for a few months, Bravo would air two episodes of Twin Peaks but I think it was sometime around 4-5 AM. Well, I got up at 6AM to go to school so I would set up my VCR (yeah, blast from the past) so those two episodes would tape while I slept. Every day after school, I'd come home and watch my two taped episodes. It was great.  
And then, the day came. The final episode. I came home, put in the tape, and the opening credits ran. Then the tape stopped! For some reason, the recording didn't work and after all this time watching I was stuck having missed the final episode. Keep in mind this was years before the show came out on DVD, especially the second season. 

Years later, the day finally came and I bought season 2 on DVD after the companies settled the rights issues. Being the psycho that I am I thought, "No, I gotta do this right and watch it all in order again." So I started from the very beginning. I savored, I reminisced, I laughed, I cried, I hurled. Until the night came where I was finally going to watch the final episode and... well, we all know how it ended.  For years I'd waited to watch this ONE episode and what a total mind-fuck it was. The episode itself is amazing. But that ending... I love it regardless but god damn that was a hard pill to swallow.

The final moments of Twin Peaks are a bewildering experience and can be incredibly disappointing. I will say that I am just such a huge fan of the show (while I know it's not as good I still love the latter half of season 2) that the cliffhanger, while painful and annoying, doesn't ruin the rest of the experience. The creators knew the show was in hot water, it'd been moved around during the week back in the day, the writing was on the wall. Shit, what an amazing show. What a strange ending. Kind of a bummer but nowhere near as bad as James' love affair murder mystery with Evelyn. What the fuck were they doing?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5619720a117
deactivated-5e5619720a117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fire Walk With Me is essential viewing if you've already watched the series.  It works as a prequel and a sequel (of sorts) since time is relative in the Black Lodge (i.e. Cooper's coffee in the final episode). 

Edit: Just be prepared to not have you're every question answered and for the film to have a much darker and more sinister feel than the show ever had.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By csl316

I watched it last year and was definitely sad to see it go.  Season 2 had some bumps, but I thought the last few episodes ended it strong.  During the last episode I was hoping for a good ending, but once this started happening I knew what the tone was gonna be:

And yes, Fire Walk With Me is definitely worth watching.  The movie scared the hell outta me for whatever reason.  Between that and the Black Lodge sequence, reminiscing about the show doesn't make me remember Andy and the good times at the diner.  I remember something bizarre and twisted, especially since I listen to the movie's crazy soundtrack regularly.  But still, the whole thing was fucking amazing.

Here's a bad ass, somewhat spoilery fan trailer for the movie:

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By Roomrunner

As much as I love Twin Peaks, and Lynch... here is the thing with the finale... the show was destined to end on a cliffhanger no matter what.  Frost built up the show around the fact that there will always be SOMETHING to explore in the town, and was quite shameless with his cliffhangers.  Just look at all the craziness that season 1 ended on.  He was desperate.  But he had to be to win over ABC execs.  Sure the show had a lot of old TV drama tropes, but it really was wildly progressive; so much that it kind of sacrificed itself for the kind of TV today where a show like this can run for six seasons. 

You can start to see the wheels come off in season two as Frost tried to have it both ways (play to the ABC execs and tried to remain weird, but within the bounds of what they assumed the audience intelligence level was.  That is why you got characters like Ben Horne & Leo reduced to joke characters, and some really shitty drama dumped on the biker kid (can't remember his name).)  If the series had the kind of artistic freedom TV dramas have today, no doubt it would have been a very different show.   

Despite this, I think the last three episodes are awesome.  Sucks that they held the fates of beloved characters as ransom like they did, but a third season with Dale/BOB would have been the shit!  I think that stuff in the Black Lodge at the end is some of the scariest stuff ever to air on network television.

allenibrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By allenibrahim

Kyle Mclahlan's a fairly signifigant character on How I Met Your Mother, if you can believe it. His character is just as creepy as anyone from Twin Peaks, so that's fun to watch. But I think his arc juuuust ended last week. /shrug

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#41  Edited By KillyDarko

Twin Peaks and The X-Files. Probably the best two TV shows ever made (in my humble opinion, of course) ^^

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5619720a117
deactivated-5e5619720a117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still holding out hope for a sequel of some sort from Lynch.  Good Dale is still in the Lodge, and remember Laura (or was it her doppleganger?) said "See you in 15 years."  They could totally do another movie with MacLachlan now 15 years after the show ended still trapped in the lodge, somehow making his way back out /fanwank

Edit: Oh, and another reason to watch the film: you find out exactly what The Man From Another Place is.

Cereal_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cereal_Killa
@armaan8014:  I've been a huge fan of the series for years (even have a twin peaks wallet I'm that bad) but personally i always really liked that ending. I know it was a downer, but when you watch that show as a whole its got a dark centre to it and I thought the end showed that perfectly. Have you read any of the books? Agent Cooper: My life, My tapes. is worth a read.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By armaan8014
@Dross said:
" I'm still holding out hope for a sequel of some sort from Lynch.  Good Dale is still in the Lodge, and remember Laura (or was it her doppleganger?) said "See you in 15 years."  They could totally do another movie with MacLachlan now 15 years after the show ended still trapped in the lodge, somehow making his way back out /fanwank  Edit: Oh, and another reason to watch the film: you find out exactly what The Man From Another Place is. "
2015. We still have hope
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I can't read your post, m'fraid. 

Watched Season 1 in a day, and getting through Season 2 took me the better part of 6 months. The second half of that season is just awful. It veers into soap-opera territory, as they effectively rounded-off the main plot-threads early on and simply kept going...

I've yet to watch the final episode...

Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Echo

The owls are not what they seem. There was a fish in the percolator. So many memories ;__;

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By dichemstys

How do I get my hands on Twin Peaks? Is it on DVD?

Avatar image for deactivated-629f1111f1060
deactivated-629f1111f1060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have nothing to add, but just wanted to chime on and profess my love of Twin Peaks and most things Lynchean.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By xyzygy

Being a fan of open and depressing endings, I can't stop thinking about the final episode. I just finished it a few hours ago. What a great series. I really loved all of it, I can see why people don't like it from halfway through S2, but man I loved the weird ass direction it took. I love very surreal and odd stories like this and I felt that the whole series ending up being a tragedy was so fitting and very satisfying to me. Same reason why Mulholland Drive is one of my favorite movies too.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By Jackel2072

When i first watched Twin Peaks it was at an extremely dark time in my life. even though the subject matter of the show it self was dark. really did bring me great joy. I dont like to say i have a favortie anything. but in the case of Twin Peaks i make an exception. Twin Peaks is my all time favorite tv show. as for the ending. i too at first was angry and sad that it would never be resolved. but after a rewatching i realized the ending was quite fitting. cooper being the persona of all thats good becomes currpoted to become pure evil.

also the movie if you have not watched it already is not really Twin Peaks. its David Lynch. i like Lych as an idea... but thats it. what made Twin Peaks work was both Mark Frost and David Lynch. they both balanced them selfs out. the movie is way more Lynch. who even though is a really smart man. gets wayyyyyyyyyy to much credit for this show. it was both Frost and Lynch that made Twin Peaks what it was.