I just got in a huge fight with my Dad

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BubbleBobble

pls close thread

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By CastroCasper

Hmm, maybe he thinks you'll stay in relaxation mode? I fully plan on taking some time to do absolutely nothing after graduation, so I would say it is normal. It would be rare, but if you found a job that doesn't need you to start for a month or two, then you'd both be happy. Or you know, lie.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By X19

Get a job, move out and then you can relax.

Nadrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nadrick

just tell him your job hunting while you relax :)

if that fails....tell him you work for cisco...no one checks their employee list =D

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I agree with your dad.

If I were you I'd be applying for as many jobs as possible right now.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By MysteriousBob

What an asshole, trying to make you secure a job in an economically troubled time before they're all gone. Doesn't he realise that you have video games to play?

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7  Edited By galiant

Get a job and move out.

BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BubbleBobble
@MysteriousBob said:
What an asshole, trying to make you secure a job in an economically troubled time before they're all gone. Doesn't he realise that you have video games to play?
lol you are the first person to make me laugh on GB.
Pyrgz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pyrgz

if you've finished college and are living with your parents still

which is understandable because fuckin job market right?

but still they have the right to give you as much shit as they want

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Buscemi

After I finished high school my parents (especially my dad) were pretty keen on me getting a job. I haven't and now I haven't done anything for a whole year. Do you see the pattern?

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Subjugation

You may as well get started on looking for a job. Chances are in this job market that you'll still end up with plenty of time to relax before you actually land one.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Coombs
@BubbleBobble:  
Lazy, 
He paid your bills from the time you were born all through school, 
Now that you have completed school and are able to find a good job you're just sitting around sponging off him. 
His cynicism is well warranted. 
BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BubbleBobble
@Coombs said:

@BubbleBobble:  Lazy, He paid your bills from the time you were born all through school, Now that you have completed school and are able to find a good job you're just sitting around sponging off him. His cynicism is well warranted. 

It's not like I'm not going to work. I just want time off, College was alot of stress
valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By valrog

If you can land a job in the field you specialized in, then that shouldn't really be so frustrating for you (assuming that it is what you like) and it will get your dad off your back. It's a win-win situation. Or, you know, fake your own death.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Give some examples of the cynical puns!

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Azteck
@BubbleBobble said:
@MysteriousBob said:
Really? No one in the staff made you laugh before? Huh..
Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Tell your dad to chill the hell out but do this after he gives you your allowance and your mom gives you afternoon Oreo num-nums.

BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BubbleBobble
@Azteck said:
@BubbleBobble said:
@MysteriousBob said:
Really? No one in the staff made you laugh before? Huh..

oh I meant the forums.  Back in Gamespot days, Brad was like blondie from The Good The Bad & The Ugly. Just watch his Doom 3 Expansion review.  

Jeff was cynical but funny at the same time. If he really hated the game, he would do a joint review with Ryan and just tear it to pieces, like Ultimate Battle 22. 

Alex Navarro, now he was funny. Robocop
tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tunaburn

i do think you realize how hard it is to get a job right now. you need to start looking months before you will get a decent one. get out there.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrKlorox

Yeah man. Even though you already got college out of the way, it's too easy to slip into a state of limbo, especially in today's job market. Stay on it and start working almost immediately.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tunaburn
@BubbleBobble said:
@Coombs said:

@BubbleBobble:  Lazy, He paid your bills from the time you were born all through school, Now that you have completed school and are able to find a good job you're just sitting around sponging off him. His cynicism is well warranted. 

It's not like I'm not going to work. I just want time off, College was alot of stress
oh to be young again.... dude college is nothing compared to the real world stress once your all on your own.
Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zimbo
@valrog said:
  fake your own death.
I can't think of better advice. Get right on it OP.
unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By unchained

@BubbleBobble said:

@Coombs said:

@BubbleBobble: Lazy, He paid your bills from the time you were born all through school, Now that you have completed school and are able to find a good job you're just sitting around sponging off him. His cynicism is well warranted.

Then get a part-time job. Or at least start setting up interviews and getting your resume out there. Or maybe do some community service to build up your resume. If you think that you are going to be able to land a good career the moment you are done "relaxing", you are mistaken. All the other people who started looking for jobs the moment they got out of college will be picked before you.

BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BubbleBobble
@Unchained said:

@BubbleBobble said:

@Coombs said:

@BubbleBobble: Lazy, He paid your bills from the time you were born all through school, Now that you have completed school and are able to find a good job you're just sitting around sponging off him. His cynicism is well warranted.

Then get a part-time job. Or at least start setting up interviews and getting your resume out there. Or maybe do some community service to build up your resume. If you think that you are going to be able to land a good career the moment you are done "relaxing", you are mistaken. All the other people who started looking for jobs the moment they got out of college will be picked before you.

IC, thx
Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Driadon

@Unchained said:

@BubbleBobble said:

@Coombs said:

As someone who went through college and actually had this happen to me, I can attest. While job hunting is never very fun, you'll still have more free time while you're doing that then you did before. In other words, go out and job hunt, it'll be the least stressful part of this whole process, especially if you feel financially comfortable enough to feel like taking time off in the first place.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Deusx

What the fuck you people, relax. Isn't like the OP isn't going to be looking for a job later. Relax man if you can't move out just make sure your dad understands that you just want to rest for a bit. Everyone deserves to take some time off once in a while... If your dad doesn't understand then move out any way you can or just give up and start looking for a job and make your own money and buy video games in your spare time. That will make you feel better.

Peetabix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Peetabix

It takes time to find a job.  Start looking now, there will still be plenty of time to relax.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MysteriousBob
@BubbleBobble said:
@Coombs said:

I just finished university. Although I feel I deserve a break the fact of the matter is that jobs all around the world are going fast. The sooner you apply, the more likely you are the seize a decent living, even if it is only temporary.

Sorry, but your Dad is right to encourage you and you shouldn't go to a video game forum to avoid getting a job. Get a job and rest afterwards.
BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BubbleBobble

alright guys, I appreciate your advice. I'm going to get a resume together & start looking soon
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AlexW00d

Sounds like you need to grow up a little bit, sorry.

thesavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By thesavage

It's understandable if you want some time off to relax and prepare for the hard days ahead. What i think the issue is is that he is afraid that you will stay jobless for a long period of time. What you should do is sit down and talk to him, and give him a date that you will seriously go about securing a job for yourself. And when that date comes, be a man of your word and find yourself a job, even if it's a shitty job at 7/11 just so you aren't a burden to your parents. Then of course look for a better job.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MysteriousBob
@thesavage said:

It's understandable if you want some time off to relax and prepare for the hard days ahead. What i think the issue is is that he is afraid that you will stay jobless for a long period of time. What you should do is sit down and talk to him, and give him a date that you will seriously go about securing a job for yourself. And when that date comes, be a man of your word and find yourself a job, even if it's a shitty job at 7/11 just so you aren't a burden to your parents. Then of course look for a better job.

... or just stop being a baby and start looking now.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#33  Edited By Vinny_Says

You're a college graduate and you live in their house, this thread should not exist.

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Joru

You should be applying for jobs now, if you want a good one it may take a long time to get it and you can rest while you wait for answers to come back.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SlasherMan

This "relaxation" phase is literally the worst thing you could do right now. Trust me on this. Even though I perfectly understand how you're feeling, your dad is right, you need to find a job.
You can take a rest WHILE looking for a job.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By crusader8463

I wish I had of taken a year off before I went to college. I was still on that high of finally being free from school work forever after 13 years of government institution, and then being stuck in class doing it all again really kind of pissed me off and I dicked around most of the first year. I really wish I had of taken a year off to just relax, recharge, and maybe get some weekend job for spending money. The best thing would have been to stay at home for an extra 2-3 months after summer ended and then worked for two years so I could have paid my way through college and not have been suck with this debt after the fact.

So ya, if you plan to go to school I recommend staying at home and working some dumb job for a few years and saving up that money. Tell you parents that if they let you stay at home for another couple years rent free you will be able to pay for schooling, move out after and not be burdened with debt until you are in your 40's.

Avatar image for harbinger_of_hippos
Harbinger_Of_Hippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Damn. Too late it for me, it would seem.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RE_Player1

Look for a job immediately and start saving to get out of the house. I'm going to be in my 2nd year of university this upcoming fall. After that I have 2 more years until I am able to teach. As soon as I have a steady job and income I'm out. In the meantime I try to cause 0 problems for my parents because they are willing to house and feed me in my time of need. My brother on the other hand is in his 5th year of university and he has no idea what he's going to do, don't become like him get out there and find a job.

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MancombSeepgood
@RE_Player92 said:

Look for a job immediately and start saving to get out of the house. I'm going to be in my 2nd year of university this upcoming fall. After that I have 2 more years until I am able to teach. As soon as I have a steady job and income I'm out. In the meantime I try to cause 0 problems for my parents because they are willing to house and feed me in my time of need. My brother on the other hand is in his 5th year of university and he has no idea what he's going to do, don't become like him get out there and find a job.

Couldn't agree more. I'm going to be starting at university in the fall and I'm moving out to go, so as to cause no problems for my parents. I know they'll support me from afar when I need the extra help, but yeah. I think you need to realise it's very frustrating for parents who think they're going to have to keep you forever and pay for you forever when you're old enough and qualified enough to be getting out and working. You definitely need to keep at it because as someone already said, it's very easy to just put it off for ages and then before you realise it, you've wasted a year not working, playing video games and sponging off your father.