• 83 results
Posted by Scrawnto (2466 posts) -

I've been a part of the labor force for about 10 months now, and I just received my first raise earlier this week. It was a pretty significant one. Now after the chunk I'm putting into savings and taking care of rent and the necessities, I've got a bit more disposable income than before. Suddenly, a number of things on my wishlist are within reach, but I'm not sure what to prioritize.

The options I've come up with are:

• Television- I still don't have a television, five years after graduating from high school and going off to college, which means I don't have a good way of getting cable or a dedicated screen for my Xbox. However this might not be the best option until I've taken care of this next one.
  • Couch- I've been living on my own without any roommates for a couple of months, but I haven't gotten around to getting a couch yet. Having somewhere to sit if I have company might be nice.
  • Speakers for my PC- I also have never gotten a pair of proper speakers for my computer. I'm always using headphones. That's fine when I'm within six feet of my desk, but if I want to lie in bed and listen to music, or play Dance Central I don't really have any good options. I've had my eye on the B&W MM-1s for a while. Maybe now is the time.
  • Nicer violin - I've been fiddling around with the same high-school-student-level violin (~$300) for about eight years now and I've played since I was in fourth grade. I'm more than ready for an upgrade. A decent violin would probably run me around $2000.
  • PS VITA - I have never owned any PlayStation product, so a Vita would allow me to play a number of games I never could before, not the least of which are the Persona games. I also really want to play Sound Shapes.
  • Burr grinder for coffee - Will Smith swears by them, and freshly ground coffee would be a nice luxury on early mornings.
  • A Blu-Ray player and some Blu-Rays - Because not everything is on Netflix.

Obviously these options have wildly different price tags. Some of them will take a month or two of saving before I'm comfortable dropping that sort of change. Something like the burr grinder I could order most any time, though it would delay the other things on the list a bit. Any thoughts? If you had some disposable income, what would you spend it on?

#1 Edited by Scrawnto (2466 posts) -

I've been a part of the labor force for about 10 months now, and I just received my first raise earlier this week. It was a pretty significant one. Now after the chunk I'm putting into savings and taking care of rent and the necessities, I've got a bit more disposable income than before. Suddenly, a number of things on my wishlist are within reach, but I'm not sure what to prioritize.

• Television- I still don't have a television, five years after graduating from high school and going off to college, which means I don't have a good way of getting cable or a dedicated screen for my Xbox. However this might not be the best option until I've taken care of this next one.
  • Couch- I've been living on my own without any roommates for a couple of months, but I haven't gotten around to getting a couch yet. Having somewhere to sit if I have company might be nice.
  • Speakers for my PC- I also have never gotten a pair of proper speakers for my computer. I'm always using headphones. That's fine when I'm within six feet of my desk, but if I want to lie in bed and listen to music, or play Dance Central I don't really have any good options. I've had my eye on the B&W MM-1s for a while. Maybe now is the time.
  • Nicer violin - I've been fiddling around with the same high-school-student-level violin (~$300) for about eight years now and I've played since I was in fourth grade. I'm more than ready for an upgrade. A decent violin would probably run me around $2000.
  • PS VITA - I have never owned any PlayStation product, so a Vita would allow me to play a number of games I never could before, not the least of which are the Persona games. I also really want to play Sound Shapes.
  • Burr grinder for coffee - Will Smith swears by them, and freshly ground coffee would be a nice luxury on early mornings.

Obviously these options have wildly different price tags. Some of them will take a month or two of saving before I'm comfortable dropping that sort of change. Something like the burr grinder I could order most any time, though it would delay the other things on the list a bit. Any thoughts? If you had some disposable income, what would you spend it on?

#2 Posted by PillClinton (3297 posts) -

As a musician, I say nicer violin. As a bitchy coffee snob, I say burr grinder, which doesn't cost nearly as much as a violin, so you could get that and another one or two things on your list!

#3 Posted by DarthOrange (3906 posts) -

@Scrawnto said:

Obviously these options have wildly different price tags. Some of which will take a month or two of saving before I'm comfortable dropping that sort of change, but something like the burr grinder I could order most any time, though it would delay the other things on the list a bit. Any thoughts? If you had some disposable income, what would you spend it on?

A PS3 is a blu-ray player and a Playstation product. If you haven't had one before this is a good time to jump on board with all the collections that Sony has been releasing lately. Maybe get the TV and couch first though. Also, congrats on the promotion!

#4 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i say you should get a ps3, since you put blu-ray player and blu-rays.

get a better tv.

#5 Posted by Scrawnto (2466 posts) -

@iam3green said:

get a better tv.

Any TV is better than no TV. I don't have one yet.

But getting a PS3 as a blu-ray player isn't a bad idea. There are a number of PSN games I'd like to play too.

#6 Posted by l4wd0g (2016 posts) -

Put it into a Roth IRA and use if for your retirement.

#7 Edited by PenguinDust (12637 posts) -

A TV and couch go hand in hand. When I moved into my first post-collegiate apartment, I had a TV and sat on the floor. It was workable, but difficult. I quickly went any bought a couch. Quite a number of furniture showrooms allow you to buy on time if you don't already own a credit card. As long as you make your payments it's a good way to improve your credit rating as well.

I suggest TV, couch, BD player, coffee grinder, violin, speakers, vita in that order.

I haven't decided what I'm going to use my Christmas bonus on at the end of the year. I'll probably save it since after I get a new PC, I'm looking to buy a new car.

#8 Posted by Athadam (705 posts) -

- Hold off on the violin because you can get 3-4 of the things on your list for the same price as one item.

-PS3 for blu-ray. If you're into war movies, you should get Band of Brothers as your first blu ray (It looks incredible).

- This one for your TV: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E3D470VX-47-Inch-Theater-Internet/dp/B004YAVDSA?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20

-These are decent PC speakers (okay for price): http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-S220-Speaker-System-Subwoofer/dp/B000RQSGYO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347092863&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+speakers

- Don't get a Vita. No games.

#9 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3086 posts) -

Invest it.

#10 Posted by DarthOrange (3906 posts) -

@Castermhief117:

There are plenty of good games out for the Vita, although I do think that it should be last on the list of things to buy. Speed Racer is also a thing of beauty on blu-ray.

#11 Posted by TyCobb (1975 posts) -

If you are interested in watching Blu-Rays, then go ahead and nab yourself a TV that allows for 1080p and then get yourself a PS3 to play them. However, since you don't have a TV then I can only assume that you do not have a sound system to harness the audio quality of Blu-Rays which for me is 80% of the experience.

Personally, this is how I would prioritize it if you don't mine saving for the sound system (it's well worth it!)

• TV (1080p, size is up to you)
  • PS3 for Blu-Rays
  • Couch
  • Sound System (Ignore home theaters in a box. Piecemeal it in this order: Receiver, 2 speakers, a sub or center speaker, the sub or center speaker you didn't buy, other speakers as you deem necessary)

I don't know how much money you are ending up with extra every month (you could have at least said that), but it may take awhile to get this all together, however, it will be worth it. It sounded like you enjoy watching movies since you talked about Netflix and wanting Blu-Rays so this is how I would prioritize your list.

#12 Posted by DriveupLife (919 posts) -

I would recommend hedging against the collapse of the world economic system by buying 1 ounce silver bullion or 1/10th ounce gold bullion.

#13 Posted by laserbolts (5368 posts) -

Couch if you ever do have people over. Then TV.

#14 Posted by Mackinder (74 posts) -

Well done on the raise, also well done on being sensible and putting a portion into savings.

Now after being good and sensible spend it on hookers and blow.

#15 Posted by ozzdog12 (864 posts) -

@Scrawnto: or you could just get the tv, then get a ps3 for your Sony/Blu-Ray needs, then a couch

#16 Posted by thebeastwithtwobacks (142 posts) -

dude. couch. come on

#17 Posted by wrecks (2318 posts) -

Either a sofa or a Gorilla suit. You'll get many years of enjoyment out of either.

#18 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

Liquor and whores.

#19 Posted by Spoonman671 (4774 posts) -
@DarthOrange said:

@Scrawnto said:

Obviously these options have wildly different price tags. Some of which will take a month or two of saving before I'm comfortable dropping that sort of change, but something like the burr grinder I could order most any time, though it would delay the other things on the list a bit. Any thoughts? If you had some disposable income, what would you spend it on?

A PS3 is a blu-ray player and a Playstation product. If you haven't had one before this is a good time to jump on board with all the collections that Sony has been releasing lately. Maybe get the TV and couch first though. Also, congrats on the promotion!

This is the perfect reply to your thread.
#20 Posted by cannonballBAM (609 posts) -

The couch or violin, there is always gonna be bigger/badder/better electronics.

#21 Posted by ajamafalous (12161 posts) -

Hookers and blow

#22 Posted by SSully (4326 posts) -

Donate it all to charity

#23 Posted by cannonballBAM (609 posts) -

@SSully said:

Donate it all to charity

I wanted to do that with one of my checks.

#24 Posted by Zor (667 posts) -

I would go for it in this order:

1. Coffee grinder, since it should be cheap (compared to the rest), and would make a noticeable improvement to you daily life
  2. Speakers, also, since they are cheaper than the other options and are kind of nice to have.

Next, i think it would be best to either go with either of these pricey options:

• TV, Couch, and a Blu-Ray player (PS3). These three need to go with each other, while one is nice, having all three completes the set and gives +15% to happiness.
  • Or a Violin.

Both of these are nice, but personally I don't understand the fun of playing music, so i would go with the tv/couch/blu-ray option. However, i know a lot of people do, so if you like playing/making music, than go for the violin. Also, Sound shapes and most of the Persona games are on the PS3, so i would go with that instead of a Vita.

#25 Posted by ShaggE (6712 posts) -

Violin, because violins are awesome.

#26 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Scrawnto: What do you do for a living?

#27 Posted by Animasta (14727 posts) -

I say violin too, violins are dope

#28 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4610 posts) -

@thebeastwithtwobacks said:

dude. couch. come on

This.

#29 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

This is how I would do it.

Speakers> couch>cofee> tv> the rest

#30 Posted by Delsaber (199 posts) -

$240 worth of puddin'.

#31 Edited by Brandino (261 posts) -

@Scrawnto said:

@iam3green said:

get a better tv.

Any TV is better than no TV. I don't have one yet.

But getting a PS3 as a blu-ray player isn't a bad idea. There are a number of PSN games I'd like to play too.

Get a good mid tier TV and a PS3. TV's are incredibly cheap these days, especially LCD/Plasma. And with 4K right around the corner i wouldn't invest too much in a 1080p tv.

#32 Posted by theguy (797 posts) -

Couch man couch. It's really nice to have a place to lie down and relax that's not your bed.

#33 Posted by IzzyGraze (854 posts) -

Couch or speakers.

#34 Posted by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

Pussy.

Scratch both PS Vita and a Blu Ray player off that list (unless you want a PS3). Buying movies is just plain stupid when you can rent them through something like Amazon or Red Box 10 times before it adds up to the cost of buying a Blu Ray. So basically, unless you know you're going to watch that movie 10+ times, its pointless to actually buy that movie on Blu Ray. I would really recommend getting a PS3 and playing something of the games you've been missing though.

First, buy a couch and a nice TV. TVs are getting really really cheap so it shouldn't be a problem to find a decent 40 inch for like $400.

#35 Posted by Rainbowkisses (467 posts) -

Couch. What's the point in having a blu-ray player or a nicer TV if you don't even have a place for guests to sit?

#36 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1203 posts) -

First thing I did was dump a grand on a TV. Of course spending most of a paycheck instantly left me in a tough spot for a while, but it seems to have worked out in the long run.

#37 Posted by Jimbo (9998 posts) -

Violin, no question. Having practiced something like that for 8 years is a big deal and something that deserves investing in. The rest is just boring everyday stuff which you'll get to eventually anyway. I say enjoy being young and passionate about something - there will be plenty of time for making boring, sensible decisions when you have dependents. You'll feel better looking back and remembering how you blew your first raise on a violin anyway.

Also, women will melt when you explain that you don't have a tv or couch because you wasted all of your money on a violin. Then if you get together they will expect you to never do anything so stupid with your (their) money ever again.

#38 Posted by Scrawnto (2466 posts) -

@l4wd0g said:

Put it into a Roth IRA and use if for your retirement.

I'm already contributing the maximum I'm allowed, if I recall correctly. That was the first thing I set up when I got a job.

@TyCobb said:

I don't know how much money you are ending up with extra every month (you could have at least said that), but it may take awhile to get this all together, however, it will be worth it. It sounded like you enjoy watching movies since you talked about Netflix and wanting Blu-Rays so this is how I would prioritize your list.

After taxes, insurance, roth/401k, rent, food, etc, I have a couple thousand dollars left from my last paycheck (I'm paid monthly). I'm putting a further good chunk of that into savings that I can access before retirement, which leaves me about $1500 for discretionary spending this month.

I wish I was able to bring my stereo when I moved out here. I didn't have enough room though, so my nice sound system is stuck back in California. I'll definitely get a decent set of speakers eventually. Having a dad who builds speakers as a hobby, and pretty well at that, has spoiled me.

@Napalm said:

I'm a software developer. I was making pretty decent money already, but this raise was around a 19% increase to my salary! I was pretty shocked.

#39 Posted by Grillbar (1913 posts) -

gongratz. imo buy the Couch, sounds like the best option, or the tv

dont buy a vita its not really worth it.

if you want to buy a blu-ray player you might as well buy a ps3 since they usually cost the same, its region free and even if you dont want to use the ps3 as a gaming console its atleast an option

#40 Posted by TooWalrus (13257 posts) -

When I got my pay bumped, I took my family out to dinner. Out of those choices, I'd personally like a Vita, there are a boatload of PSP games I've never played, I'm playing Persona 3 on PS3 right now, but I kinda want to go back and play Persona and Innocent Sin, plus I'm definitely going to pick one up when P4: The Golden comes out, so that'd be my choice.

#41 Posted by impartialgecko (1689 posts) -

A fuller bank account

#42 Posted by Scrawnto (2466 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

When I got my pay bumped, I took my family out to dinner. Out of those choices, I'd personally like a Vita, there are a boatload of PSP games I've never played, I'm playing Persona 3 on PS3 right now, but I kinda want to go back and play Persona and Innocent Sin, plus I'm definitely going to pick one up when P4: The Golden comes out, so that'd be my choice.

I would definitely take my family out to dinner, but my nearest relatives are about 800 miles away.

#43 Posted by Tomzombie (401 posts) -

Save it so if you ever have to pay for a medical bill or car related stuff you'll be ok if its like 1000 or 500 $ repair.

#44 Posted by Scrawnto (2466 posts) -

@Tomzombie said:

Save it so if you ever have to pay for a medical bill or car related stuff you'll be ok if its like 1000 or 500 $ repair.

Yo, I've got mad health insurance. Health insurance for days. Disability, dental, all that jazz. I'm covered as far as that stuff is concerned. Car related stuff is more worrisome, but I am already saving a substantial amount already, so I'm not really at risk of breaking the bank there either, unless my car is totally demolished.

#45 Posted by TyCobb (1975 posts) -

@Scrawnto said:

@TyCobb said:

After taxes, insurance, roth/401k, rent, food, etc, I have a couple thousand dollars left from my last paycheck (I'm paid monthly). I'm putting a further good chunk of that into savings that I can access before retirement, which leaves me about $1500 for discretionary spending this month.

I wish I was able to bring my stereo when I moved out here. I didn't have enough room though, so my nice sound system is stuck back in California. I'll definitely get a decent set of speakers eventually. Having a dad who builds speakers as a hobby, and pretty well at that, has spoiled me.

@Napalm said:

I'm a software developer. I was making pretty decent money already, but this raise was around a 19% increase to my salary! I was pretty shocked.

Software Developers unite! Nothing beats finding a company that pays what you are worth. Now that I know this, just do with it what you want. No reason to have us prioritize when in a few months, you'll have everything on that list.

#46 Posted by Scrawnto (2466 posts) -

@TyCobb: It really has been a huge change as compared to my childhood, when I was just over dirt poor. It's taken a fair amount of discipline not to just blow all my money and get it all right away, which I could actually do with what I've saved up in the past ten months.

#47 Edited by Zelyre (1275 posts) -

Violin. Hands down. Moving from a student instrument to a quality instrument is like moving from a console to a PC or a used Cavalier to a M5. If you enjoy playing the violin, you'll enjoy it more on a real instrument. Not only that but you can apply what you know to buying the instrument. It becomes -your- instrument, an extension of you. And unlike the other things you listed, one day you may have someone dear in your life whom you can hand the violin down to. And as a trumpet and piano player, the violin is almost as awesome as the oboe. Also dont get an iPad or your posts will look like this mess.

#48 Posted by TyCobb (1975 posts) -

@Scrawnto: I never said blow it all. Don't go buy everything at once, just piecemeal it as you feel fit. One month a TV, next month a Blu-Ray player, following month, a couch, etc. I was just saying that you are making a decent amount of money that you can eventually have everything on that list and you should just prioritize since getting any of those items will not put another item out of reach.

#49 Posted by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

Assuming you have stuff to output hd I would say a television.

#50 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Go to your local Salvation Army for the couch and coffee grinder (just a normal one will do ), buy a cheap TV on Kijiji, and then spend the real money on a violin. That is the only thing on your list that you can't get for virtually nothing and won't be cheaper in the future.