Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By apeman
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" @mzuckerm said:

" @harshtruther: A lot of what you say is true.  I have been out of law school for a little over 5 years now, and competition for jobs was pretty intense back when I was in law school (and keep in mind, the market was a lot better back then).  I got into a top school with credentials similar to the OPs (I think my LSAT was higher but GPA was probably a bit lower).  I think the market may be considerably better when he comes out of school, though.  Things are terrible now, but I have to imagine the economy will have picked up some by then.  And law firms are not particularly well-run businesses.  They seem to go into boom or bust cycles, over-hiring when times are good, and over-firing when times are bad.  So the job market may well turn out pretty well for him.  The bigger caution, in my mind, is that he might end up with six figures of debt, and the only realistic option of paying it back is to work for a big firm.  Which is definitely, definitely not for everybody.  So best of luck, I had a great time in law school and I hope OP does as well. "

Thank you my good man. Interesting, informed opinion.  

@harshtruther said: 

" I just wanted to reiterate that those of us who are being a little less than unquestioningly positive are trying to provide some much needed balance to the discussion. A lot of people are going to celebrate the original success, as they rightly should, and even more are going to repeat oft cited folk wisdom - law school is a perfect route to economic stability and will easily support a decent lifestyle - but they're only repeating what they've heard and that info' is dated and particularly inappropriate for the current economic conditions.  Sure, that could change in a few years or it could not. Either way, you're still going to be carrying a significant debt and will have incurred the opportunity cost of attending school instead of entering the working world. A reasonable choice, as long as you go in having understood the dangers. No-one wants to be a jerk about it, but there is a lot of legitimate data out there that should make anyone considering lawschool have a second thought. Sure if you do that and think on balance it's a good idea for you, then go for it. Otherwise be cautious.   "

And I'd like to reiterate that time and place are important when giving advice, even if it is good advice. I didn't come here asking for advice, I came here to cherish in that short moment of glory at 2 AM while all my friends and most of my family were asleep. You chose to take that time to give general, unsolicited and largely uninformed advice (i.e. you have no particular expertise in this area). You are like Debbie Downer from the SNL skit. Someone calls you to say they had a baby, and the first words out of your mouth are "well you know it's a really bad economy right now, add you're going to have a hard time saving for her college. Also the mortality rate for children is really high right now, so there's a good chance she'll die. I don't mean to shit on your parade or anything, I'm just giving you some balance".   In short, you're a twat who can't be happy for someone else, perhaps because you're not very happy.   To everyone else who helped me to enjoy this moment, thank you.   "
If you can one day  read this entire quote and realize how immature you are, then might you be ready for law school. 

I am NOT flaming, I am being completely serious.
harshtruther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By harshtruther

At the risk of re-igniting old passions...the NYTimes recently ran a story  which is particularly relevent.  It's not a long article by any means, should take about 5 minutes to read at most, but there's a lot in there that anyone interested in law school should read and consider.  The executive summary - fewer law jobs, more law grads, bigger debts, and a lot of general worry.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#103  Edited By SSully
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" I'm lolling at the trolls and feeling very good about all the positive comments. Thanks for enjoying this moment with me guys!  "
So you think anyone who isn't being positive is a troll? You are going to make a horrible lawyer if you cannot take constructive criticism. Have a fun career jag.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#104  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@harshtruther said:

" It's not a long article by any means, should take about 5 minutes to read at most"

I wish I could read that fast. It took me 5 minutes to read less than half of it. I have a tendency to really linger on phrases and words... Anyways, what I read was interesting, especially this part:

"Independent surveys find that most law students would enroll even if they knew that only a tiny number of them would wind up with six-figure salaries. Nearly all of them, it seems, are convinced that they’re going to win the ring toss at this carnival and bring home the stuffed bear."

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#105  Edited By mikemcn

Get out there and lawyer it up duder!

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#106  Edited By Jeust
@harshtruther said:

"
At the risk of re-igniting old passions...the NYTimes recently ran a story  which is particularly relevent.  It's not a long article by any means, should take about 5 minutes to read at most, but there's a lot in there that anyone interested in law school should read and consider.  The executive summary - fewer law jobs, more law grads, bigger debts, and a lot of general worry.      "

Humility is also a lesson to be learned.