• 158 results
#1 Edited by Aegon (5769 posts) -

shirt without seeming racist. People who were buying or wanted to buy the Fuck Ryan Davis shirt were complaining that they wouldn't be able to wear it in public, but what's gonna happen when someone sees "CHINA DON'T CARE" spelled in huge letters on your shirt? What will they think is the reasoning behind this message that you're trying to propel?

If you're hoping that it'll be a conversation starter, then I'm not sure it'll be very useful outside of recognition from other bombers/duders. Unless you think the girl asking you why China doesn't care will find the video game site you visit an interesting topic.

#2 Edited by Milkman (17198 posts) -

Whatever. People will be too concerned with how baller it looks to think of any kind of racist intentions.

#3 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Aegon said:

shirt without seeming racist. People who were buying or wanted to buy the Fuck Ryan Davis shirt were complaining that they wouldn't be able to wear it in public, but what's gonna happen when someone sees "CHINA DON'T CARE" spelled in huge letters on your shirt? What will they think is the reasoning behind this message that you're trying to propel?

If you're hoping that it'll be a conversation starter, then I'm not sure it'll be very useful outside of recognition from other bombers/duders. Unless you think the girl asking you why Chine doesn't care will find the video game site you visit an interesting topic.

Now that i think about it, it would be easier to wear the Fuck Ryan Davis T-Shirt in public than it would theChina Don't Care T-Shirt...I gone fucked up.

#4 Posted by Zajtalan (1163 posts) -

fuck I wish I could have placed an order

#5 Posted by TruthTellah (9426 posts) -

@Aegon said:

What will they think is the reasoning behind this message that you're trying to propel?

That you may feel the country of China does not care about something and/or many things which may or may not be important to you?

#6 Posted by NyxFe (248 posts) -

If anyone asks I'll just tell them that like China, I also do not care.

#7 Posted by mlarrabee (3031 posts) -

I was never planning on wearing it.

Although it could be a compliment...

"Yo, dawg, China's got confidence. China don't care what nobody thinks."

#8 Posted by Nightriff (5257 posts) -

Man I wish I got both shirts, Fuck Ryan Davis cause Chine Don't Care!!!

#9 Posted by Hunter5024 (5905 posts) -

The Fuck Ryan Davis shirt, has always been and will always be the correct choice.

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (15106 posts) -

I think...you are over thinking this. I don't see anything wrong with the shirt its not offensive its just well...dumb. Which was kind of the point of making the shirt anyways.

#11 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

it is dumb and open ended enough that there's really no racist connotations one can make from it

what don't they care about?

#12 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

The shirt is stupid an tacky. The only way it's actually offensive is that it's ugly as sin, which is in itself a reason to not wear it in public.

#13 Posted by Little_Socrates (5694 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

The Fuck Ryan Davis shirt, has always been and will always be the correct choice.

#14 Edited by Aegon (5769 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

@Hunter5024 said:

I agree.

@Animasta said:

it is dumb and open ended enough that there's really no racist connotations one can make from it

Doesn't matter. You're saying that all of them don't care. You're generalizing. Which is considered racist.

#15 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@Little_Socrates said:

@Hunter5024 said:

I agree.

@Animasta said:

Doesn't matter. You're saying that all of them don't care. You're generalizing. Which is considered racist.

it's not the chinese don't care, it's china don't care. you are insulting the rulers more than you are insulting the people.

#16 Posted by laserbolts (5350 posts) -

I can't believe people bought those stupid shirts. I swear some people will gladly eat up whatever the crew will feed them. I guess it would be ok to wear under a hoody or something.

#17 Posted by Aegon (5769 posts) -

@Animasta: Sure, you as someone who knows that it's not meant to be hurtful can interpret it that way, but others will surely find the shirt strange and might not have the same interpretation.

#18 Posted by Jace (1093 posts) -

@Milkman said:

Whatever. People will be too considered with how baller it looks to think of any kind of racist intentions.

Done.

#19 Posted by Soapy86 (2638 posts) -

SOAPY DON'T CARE

#20 Posted by wjb (1689 posts) -

I would've humored the idea of buying one if it wasn't pink. I know that's half of the joke, but I don't do pink. Ever.

#21 Posted by Gamer_152 (14100 posts) -

Perhaps I'm missing something big here, but I don't really see how this shirt could be misinterpreted as saying something racist. At most it could be seen as a light-hearted, if not somewhat unclear commentary on the current political state of China, but I fail to see where the offence really comes in, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to read that much into a t-shirt.

What's going to happen when someone sees you wearing this shirt in public? Nothing. What are they going to think is the reasoning behind it's message? They probably don't care and if they don't understand it, aren't going to start probing it for a deep political or sociological message. Additionally, I don't think anyone bought the shirt thinking "This will be a great conversation starter", and there's no reason to imply people who like this shirt are going to have some kind of problem talking to women, or even that some women wouldn't find video game websites an interesting topic.

#22 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@Animasta: Sure, you as someone who knows that it's not meant to be hurtful can interpret it that way, but others will surely find the shirt strange and might not have the same interpretation.

yeah? what's the difference between that and any other shirt I've got from GB?

I mean yes at it's surface it seems racist but I doubt you're going to wear it to fucking college/work ro something. it is a casual shirt for a casual time, just like the other one.

#23 Posted by Jace (1093 posts) -

@Aegon said:

I REALLY hope that was a joke.

#24 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2077 posts) -

Chinese is not a race, it's a nationality, the phrase can't be racist.

Saying China don't care is racist is like saying America don't care is racist.

Besides getting offended by a stupid phrase is even dumber than the phrase itself.

#25 Posted by Aegon (5769 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin: I'm not offended, but others might be. And I know Chinese is not a race, but you're still generalizing, which is offensive. Xenophobic or nationalist doesn't really describe it, so I said racist. The semantics might not be entirely correct, but you get the idea.

#26 Edited by RollingZeppelin (2077 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@RollingZeppelin: I'm not offended, but others might be. And I know Chinese is not a race, but you're still generalizing, which is offensive. Xenophobic or nationalist doesn't really describe it, so I said racist. The semantics might not be entirely correct, but you get the idea.

Except no one gives a shit about making fun of nations so there's nothing to worry about, see @Gamer_152's post about this.

Edit: anyone with such a shitty sense of humour as to be offended by it is not worth knowing anyway, so consider it a crappy friend filter.

#27 Edited by PillClinton (3292 posts) -

Yeah, it's a really stupid fucking shirt, produced with incredibly short foresight, and minuscule respect for, well, anything at all. Sorry, Giant Bomb, you dun goofed. I will never buy that shirt, sorry--I know it hurts, but you'll be ok.

@RollingZeppelin said:

Chinese is not a race, it's a nationality, the phrase can't be racist.

Saying China don't care is racist is like saying America don't care is racist.

Besides getting offended by a stupid phrase is even dumber than the phrase itself.

Well, to be fair, that argument doesn't really fly. Chinese may be a nationality, but as far as one in every seven people on this planet are concerned, it's close enough to a race, especially when compared to your example of American, which is only a nationality, as America is a completely heterogeneous culture, while China is extremely homogeneous.

#28 Posted by aceofspudz (938 posts) -

Troll post.

#29 Edited by Aegon (5769 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Aegon said:

Except no one gives a shit about making fun of nations so there's nothing to worry about, see @Gamer_152's post about this.

That's basically like saying "it's okay to be a bully", because a bully is hurting someone else's feelings, not his own.

BTW For anyone who's wondering, I'm not condeming Giant Bomb or anything. I'm just saying that the shirt may not be good for wearing in public.

#30 Posted by Ksaw (349 posts) -

I think some of you are underestimating how overly sensitive people can be about virtually anything. Wearing either shirt in public would eventually lead to you receiving unwanted attention of varying severities. In order to wear the China don't care shirt, you yourself have to also not care. I find both shirts hilarious on multiple levels but I would never have the guts to wear either in public. I guess I care too much.

#31 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2077 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Aegon said:

That's basically like saying "it's okay to be a bully", because a bully is hurting someone else's feelings, not his own.

BTW For anyone who's wondering, I'm not condeming Giant Bomb or anything. I'm just saying that the shirt may not be good for wearing in public.

You're misinterpreting me, no one is going to be offended because in the real world people have to deal with actual problems instead of something as innocuous a stupid shirt. No one is going to feel bullied by a freaking shirt, come on.

#32 Edited by Aegon (5769 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

You're misinterpreting me, no one is going to be offended because in the real world people have to deal with actual problems instead of something as innocuous a stupid shirt. No one is going to feel bullied by a freaking shirt, come on.

Now that is a joke. Words hurt if you have emotions and aren't a Psychopath.

#33 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2077 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@RollingZeppelin: Now that is a joke. Words hurt if you have emotions and aren't a Psychopath.

ha ha ha, omg man, grow up. The world isn't fuzzy teddy bears and cotton candy. Seriously, can we all stop acting like a bunch of children and show a little bit of resilience? Why does everyone have to cry about every little thing?

#34 Posted by BSw (254 posts) -

What @Ksaw said is true: you can find the shirt not to be offensive, but others can have a very different look on things, and my guess is that quite a few people will either be quitely offended and/or disturbed, or will actually be asking questions to the wearer. Not in the least because it says 'China don't care' instead of 'China doesn't care,' which would've been a more generic sentence.

#35 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2077 posts) -

Maybe this is an American thing, cause where I'm from people are generally nice and don't judge others based on their clothing. I was talking about this with a friend the other day and we both noticed how laid back people are around here. I'm glad I live here and not where the other people in this thread are from, I couldn't stand being around such whiny neighbors.

#36 Posted by Hunter5024 (5905 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Aegon said:

@Little_Socrates said:

@Hunter5024 said:

I agree.

@Animasta said:

it's not the chinese don't care, it's china don't care. you are insulting the rulers more than you are insulting the people.

I guess it's hardly even a statement about the rulers, but the country itself. That ancient land don't care. It's a piece of geography, it can't care... kind of sad if you think about it.

#37 Edited by Aegon (5769 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Aegon said:

@RollingZeppelin: Now that is a joke. Words hurt if you have emotions and aren't a Psychopath.

ha ha ha, omg man, grow up. The world isn't fuzzy teddy bears and cotton candy. Seriously, can we all stop acting like a bunch of children and show a little bit of resilience? Why does everyone have to cry about every little thing?

You can laugh all you want, but understanding when you're in danger is crucial. People have eyes to see and ears to hear and other senses in order to be able to interpret and interact with the world. If they interpret that they have something to be worried about like for example, "Hmm a lot of people are wearing these shirts and posting these signs saying this group I belong to or am associated with is no good and should be killed" then that tells them whether they are safe in their current environment. If they interpret correctly, then they can try to do something about saving themselves.

@RollingZeppelin said:

Maybe this is an American thing, cause where I'm from people are generally nice and don't judge others based on their clothing. I was talking about this with a friend the other day and we both noticed how laid back people are around here. I'm glad I live here and not where the other people in this thread are from, I couldn't stand being around such whiny neighbors.

No wonder you were so defensive about this topic.

#38 Edited by RollingZeppelin (2077 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Aegon said:

You can laugh all you want, but understanding when you're in danger is crucial. People have eyes to see and ears to hear and other senses in order to be able to interpret and interact with the world. If they interpret that they have something to be worried about like for example, "Hmm a lot of people are wearing these shirts and posting these signs saying this group I belong to or am associated with is no good and should be killed" then that tells them whether they are safe in their current environment. If they interpret correctly, then they can try to do something about saving themselves.

LOL WAHHHT?!

Oh man, this is getting ridiculous, I gotta go to bed, thanks for the laughs. I'll check on this thread tomorrow to see all about how the dangers of the evil and murderous shirt wearers are the scourge of the nation. HA!

@Aegon said:

No wonder you were so defensive about this topic.

I'm not being defensive, just pointing out that you're probably over reacting, and I'll leave it at that. I hope you can use your eyes to see and your brain to interpret what your eyes are seeing and then perform higher functions to comprehend the interpreted images into words so that you can use your brain to realise that I think you are being silly.

#39 Posted by PillClinton (3292 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

I live in California, arguably the most laid back state in the union, and even as a straight white dude, I find that shirt to be at least moderately offensive, if not simply in extremely bad taste. Imagine for a moment a shirt that said in big bold font, "Israel Don't Care." I imagine if GB made that shirt, it certainly wouldn't receive such universal praise.

#40 Posted by Superkenon (1487 posts) -

I just wanted a goddamn pink shirt.

#41 Posted by YI_Orange (1169 posts) -

I've seen people wear shirts saying directly negative things about "gingers" and no one batted an eye(myself included, as a red haired person). Seriously, it baffles me that anyone would care. Just chill out. People get waaaaay too upset about things that don't hurt anyone.

#42 Edited by RollingZeppelin (2077 posts) -

@PillClinton said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

I live in California, arguably the most laid back state in the union, and even as a straight white dude, I find that shirt to be at least moderately offensive, if not simply in extremely bad taste. Imagine for a moment a shirt that said in big bold font, "Israel Don't Care." I imagine if GB made that shirt, it certainly wouldn't receive such universal praise.

Let me clarfy that I'm not American, I'm Canadian, I was saying that this over reacting thing is usually done by Americans. The shirt is only offensive if you interpret in an offensive way. Saying China don't care could mean anything from China doesn't care about human rights, or it could mean that China is so big that it doesn't care about your little problems. You can't tell without context so why work yourself up into a tizzy and immediately assume the worst? It's silly.

#43 Posted by PillClinton (3292 posts) -

@YI_Orange: You don't care about ginger shirts because you're white, historically the most unoppressed and power-wielding race to ever walk this Earth. You think a shirt that said something negative about black people would be simply brushed off without a second glance? This needs to be put in another context for comparison's sake, people.

#44 Edited by YI_Orange (1169 posts) -

@PillClinton: what's the shirt say?

Edit - Also, brushing off discrimination because it's not incredibly prominent in history is bullshit.

#45 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

How exactly did the "China Don't Care" thing started?

#46 Edited by Aegon (5769 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin: I live in Canada as well. Could you be a Torontonian perchance?

@YI_Orange said:

Edit - Also, brushing off discrimination because it's not incredibly prominent in history is bullshit.

But you want to brush it off anyway?

@Joeybagad0nutz said:

How exactly did the "China Don't Care" thing started?

I think it's just a joke Ryan made on the podcast about Chinese companies making knock-off products.

#47 Posted by PillClinton (3292 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin: Fair enough, but in my personal interpretation, American or not, I find it to be overly generalizing and lacking in taste.

#48 Posted by PillClinton (3292 posts) -

@YI_Orange said:

Well, you admitted to doing it with ginger shirts, so I don't see how that's bullshit.

#49 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@PillClinton

@RollingZeppelin: Fair enough, but in my personal interpretation, American or not, I find it to be overly generalizing and lacking in taste.

Would you be offended if it said America don't care?
#50 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2077 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@RollingZeppelin: I live in Canada as well. Could you be a Torontonian perchance?

Nope I'm a Haligonian.

@PillClinton said:

It's not generalizing though because it's talking about China, the nation, not the Chinese (who, again, are not a race).