• 93 results
  • 1
  • 2
#51 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4515 posts) -

@Mirado said:

You should always attempt to broaden your horizons. You should never feel ashamed about your choice in music. Or just about anything else, for that matter.

Enjoy what you like and don't be afraid to try something new. Music genres, movies, food, whatever. My philosophy is to give just about everything a shot at least once. If it turns out that you don't like something different, it won't hamper your enjoyment of the things you already love.

TL;DR - YOLO!

Online
#52 Posted by psylah (2161 posts) -

@JackSukeru said:

@psylah: I'm sorry, I've only ever come across these songs on youtube so I don't know anything alse about them.

Now I'm just gonna post more crap I enjoy.

Ha, there were japanese songs I had listened to for years before I realized they were speaking any English in the lyrics.

#53 Posted by Catarrhal (818 posts) -
#54 Posted by Mirado (983 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon: It's a shame that my philosophy can be summed up by a phrase I've rapidly grown tired of, but you aren't completely wrong.

I don't engage in behavior that I'd call inherently self-destructive, but outside of that I've pretty much opened up my concept of "a good time". Things just got a bit...stale, you know?

#55 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4515 posts) -

@Mirado: Don't mind me, I'm just poking fun.

Online
#56 Posted by Dethfish (3618 posts) -

I ironically started listening to kpop a couple years ago. Then after a while I was unironcally totally into it, so I've been in your predicament. Before long though I didn't care what other people would think, mainly because any other genre of music I'd listen to they'd hate as well. So fuck 'em.

Also, I don't think you should try to abide by some sort of standards when it comes to musical preferences. Just listen to what you like. That should be a good enough standard. I also think you should also try listening to other genres, but that doesn't mean you can't still like Kesha or whatever else you currently like. For the longest time I was only into Heavy/Thrash Metal. These days I still listen to a lot of that mixed in with Kpop and Drum n Bass. I only got into those because I actually attempted to listen to something different and new.

#57 Posted by MildMolasses (3211 posts) -

I'm a Kesha fan. I don't find it embarrassing to say it. At some point I realized that it's ok to enjoy things just for being fun. Not everything needs to lead to intellectual growth.

Online
#58 Posted by Animasta (14635 posts) -

I just thought of something

Most of my current pop music likes actually came from watching Glee so I am pretty sure I am worse than you, OP

#59 Posted by Ryuku_Ryosake (202 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

It's ok to like these songs, boyo. I would just suggest you to listen to more songs, you know? They're available, and they're for free to listen(On Youtube at least.)! So yeah, guilty pleasures are fine. My favorite band is Mindless Self Indulgence, but i listen to Rihanna, Backstreet Boys and shit like that... Other times i listen to the Django theme song because i need to relax. Sometimes you don't need super-great lyrics or things like that. Just a good catchy song.

Wait a sec here are you talking about the original Django theme song like the old spaghetti western one? Because if you are that song is just AMAZING there is no need for it to be here on this thread.

On the topic at hand I declared all new music to be garbage in 2003 and I pretty much still stick to that declaration. So all of you are the problem. You should be like me and listen exclusively to Ska music which is the only exception to my declaration.

#60 Posted by Animasta (14635 posts) -

@Ryuku_Ryosake said:

@MikeGosot said:

It's ok to like these songs, boyo. I would just suggest you to listen to more songs, you know? They're available, and they're for free to listen(On Youtube at least.)! So yeah, guilty pleasures are fine. My favorite band is Mindless Self Indulgence, but i listen to Rihanna, Backstreet Boys and shit like that... Other times i listen to the Django theme song because i need to relax. Sometimes you don't need super-great lyrics or things like that. Just a good catchy song.

Wait a sec here are you talking about the original Django theme song like the old spaghetti western one? Because if you are that song is just AMAZING there is no need for it to be here on this thread.

On the topic at hand I declared all new music to be garbage in 2003 and I pretty much still stick to that declaration. So all of you are the problem. You should be like me and listen exclusively to Ska music which is the only exception to my declaration.

does that ska version of the giant bomb theme count?

that was p. dope

#61 Posted by Ryuku_Ryosake (202 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Ryuku_Ryosake said:

@MikeGosot said:

It's ok to like these songs, boyo. I would just suggest you to listen to more songs, you know? They're available, and they're for free to listen(On Youtube at least.)! So yeah, guilty pleasures are fine. My favorite band is Mindless Self Indulgence, but i listen to Rihanna, Backstreet Boys and shit like that... Other times i listen to the Django theme song because i need to relax. Sometimes you don't need super-great lyrics or things like that. Just a good catchy song.

Wait a sec here are you talking about the original Django theme song like the old spaghetti western one? Because if you are that song is just AMAZING there is no need for it to be here on this thread.

On the topic at hand I declared all new music to be garbage in 2003 and I pretty much still stick to that declaration. So all of you are the problem. You should be like me and listen exclusively to Ska music which is the only exception to my declaration.

does that ska version of the giant bomb theme count?

that was p. dope

It totally counts. Ryan is trying to bring back Ska but for me it never left. It is a wonderful life to live.

#62 Posted by Vonocourt (2116 posts) -

@McGhee said:

I just like the fun sounds, you know?

Ha, you totally reminded me of my brief stint with french rap.

#63 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

@Ryuku_Ryosake said:

@MikeGosot said:

It's ok to like these songs, boyo. I would just suggest you to listen to more songs, you know? They're available, and they're for free to listen(On Youtube at least.)! So yeah, guilty pleasures are fine. My favorite band is Mindless Self Indulgence, but i listen to Rihanna, Backstreet Boys and shit like that... Other times i listen to the Django theme song because i need to relax. Sometimes you don't need super-great lyrics or things like that. Just a good catchy song.

Wait a sec here are you talking about the original Django theme song like the old spaghetti western one? Because if you are that song is just AMAZING there is no need for it to be here on this thread.

On the topic at hand I declared all new music to be garbage in 2003 and I pretty much still stick to that declaration. So all of you are the problem. You should be like me and listen exclusively to Ska music which is the only exception to my declaration.

I just mentioned the Django song to show that i listen from shitty pop to pretty fucking great themes. Seeing now, i could have written that better, sorry about that.

#64 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

I had a coworker call me a "fag" for listening to The XX because they have a female lead singer. What I'm saying is people who judge your musical tastes based on the gender of the musician are fucking stupid.

#65 Posted by Animasta (14635 posts) -

@Vonocourt said:

@McGhee said:

I just like the fun sounds, you know?

Ha, you totally reminded me of my brief stint with french rap.

french rap is the best rap

#66 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

This probably doesn't help, but I really like We've Only Just Begun.

My solution to this problem is that I don't bother other people with the bad music that I like. Except my family, because we all agree that it's hilarious.

#67 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

NMH2 OST blasting whenever. Call the cops IDGAF!

#68 Posted by medacris (638 posts) -

Fuck what people think, and blast whatever whenever. Broadening your horizons is a good idea regardless, though.

#69 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

If some one gives you shit for being your self. Tell them to GET BENT.

#70 Edited by Krullban (1021 posts) -

I also think korean rap is pretty rad.

#71 Posted by project343 (2809 posts) -

Fuck it. Embrace your oddities.

Still one of my favourite songs.

#72 Posted by believer258 (11564 posts) -

@JackSukeru said:

@psylah: I'm sorry, I've only ever come across these songs on youtube so I don't know anything alse about them.

Now I'm just gonna post more crap I enjoy.

I couldn't help but laugh at that... something dance-thingy she was doing.

Anyway, enjoy what you want and don't worry about what other people think of you, and all that other feel-good garbage that's been repeated ad-nauseum in this thread. I'll just go back to listening to Linkin Park.

#73 Edited by Deathdealer108 (290 posts) -

I love all sorts of music. I listen to niche Metal of all varieties mainly but I listen to some j pop, classical, video game soundtracks and random popular songs too. I get shit from some of my friends because I listen to Paramore on a regular basis, but why should I care? Anyway, its just friendly riffing. The typical stranger could not care less what you are listening to. I can understand why people like stuff like Ke$ha, its basically brainless and fun, what music for the masses has always been.

Unless you think this is good music. I don't think something could get more annoying. Anyone who likes this, I really don't like you:

UGH. I need a palate cleanser after that trash. Here is more what I normally listen to.

#74 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -

I like a band named Period Pains and am not ashamed to admit that.

#75 Posted by Deathdealer108 (290 posts) -

@believer258: I have to ask. Old Linkin Park (Hybrid Theory, Meteora) or New (A Thousand Suns, Living Things)? I loved them for a long time, but I just can't get into their newer stuff : /

#76 Posted by believer258 (11564 posts) -

@Deathdealer108: It took me a while, but at some point something clicked and I started to enjoy a fair bit of their newer stuff. I haven't actually listened to Living Things all the way through yet, but I like a fair amount of A Thousand Suns. I like parts of Minutes to Midnight, especially the first half of the album. But they haven't released anything that I've liked as much as the first two, either.

Also, you posted that Nicki Minaj song earlier and mentioned how you couldn't respect anyone who would listen to that? There's worse.

#77 Posted by TheSlothKing (328 posts) -

I listen to slam jam remixes and most people don't understand their amazingness.

#78 Posted by Sinusoidal (1262 posts) -

@project343: Aqua doesn't get enough credit. There's always room for tightly produced, cheesy-ass beats.

#79 Posted by Undeadpool (4902 posts) -

Eventually learn that the kind of music you listen to only matters to snobs on the internet?

#80 Posted by Galiant (2175 posts) -

If people look down on you for the type of music you enjoy, they're not worth your time.

True about many things in life.

#81 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@Catarrhal: Unfortunate for her, but it's a great song. And it'd be great without her if it weren't for the fact that she's the first credited writer.

PR is a strange thing in pop music.

#82 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@CH3BURASHKA said:

I recall reading some anecdote in a newspaper article about a father putting on Britney Spears in the car, and his teenage daughter giving him the stinkeye. Later at dinner, she tried to embarrass him by recounting the story, making it out like he was some kind of freak. The whole point of his story was that you need to be true to yourself, yada yada yada.

I'm facing a similar conundrum, but slightly different - I've found that I really like Kesha music, and Katy Perry, and Taylor Swift (I was into Pink in middle school, too). The thing is, I'm not that worried about the actual gender of the performers; my actual worry is that I subjectively find the lyrics terrible and uninspired, but I'm addicted to the actual music. This is more of a question of being attracted to mediocre content, and I'm conflicted. I haven't explored much of the music landscape, and I'm not talking about the indie scene - my musical background is woefully spotty: I haven't listened to any Aerosmith or Jimi Hendrix or Pink Floyd or Pearl Jam or Beatles or Rolling Stones, etc etc etc. And yet, the last ten times I've gone on Youtube I've started with Kesha's Die Young followed by We R Who We R. Just today I made a comment on the FOTNS QL about how anyone can possibly consider buying it when hundreds of other more interesting and challenging games exist, and yet I feel like I'm committing that exact sin on the music front.

Give me spiritual guidance GB community. Should I deny myself base pleasures and challenge myself to explore new musical frontiers, or say fuck it and blast Kesha whenever?

Well, I mean, what you're saying is that you like pop music. Music that is engineered by teams of talented experts to be likeable by the largest number of people possible. 
 
There's no real shame in that, I don't think, other than the same shame associated with eating mcdonalds. Food that is engineered by teams of experts to be liked by the most amount of people possible. 
 
But I think one would still have to recognize that it's junk food and it seems that you do. So... listen to whatever you want.
#83 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
I troll all my friends by unironically liking Kesha and Lady Gaga  That said, they're pretty much the only two 'popular'/'bad'/'mainstream' artists I listen to.
Just because they're popular doesn't mean they're bad. Lady Gaga is a freaking revelation. 
 
I honestly find her to have a lot more in common with, like Marilyn Manson than I do the likes of Kesha or Brittany Spears...
#84 Posted by Sugar (28 posts) -

I feel like KT Tunstall needs a mention.

Also, your tastes will changes. There's a lot of people writing some amazing music out there. Don't be afraid to open your mind.

Of course, however, you can like what ever you want to.

#85 Posted by fr0sterson (57 posts) -

What do? LISTEN TO TAY TAY

#86 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@Deathdealer108 said:

I love all sorts of music. I listen to niche Metal of all varieties mainly but I listen to some j pop, classical, video game soundtracks and random popular songs too. I get shit from some of my friends because I listen to Paramore on a regular basis, but why should I care? Anyway, its just friendly riffing. The typical stranger could not care less what you are listening to. I can understand why people like stuff like Ke$ha, its basically brainless and fun, what music for the masses has always been.

Unless you think this is good music. I don't think something could get more annoying. Anyone who likes this, I really don't like you:

UGH. I need a palate cleanser after that trash. Here is more what I normally listen to.

I don't know how people can not like Nicki Minaj. I don't listen to any of her music, but she is utterly brilliant in terms of creativity. She blew up in the hip hop community and everyone wanted her guesting on their tracks because she just sounded flat out different. When something gets stale enough, you start inviting the crazy lunatic kid around just so they do something different and break up the monotony. I find everything from her ridiculously awful clothes to her non-model body to be incredibly refreshing.
#87 Posted by Fattony12000 (6961 posts) -

You have a beautiful nose.

#88 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

Never not playing scooter

#89 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3721 posts) -

Just roll up the windows dude.

I like Duran Duran and shit. I feel your pain.

#90 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I'm also really into pop, but hey who cares, if it sounds good listen to it.

#91 Posted by ch3burashka (4992 posts) -

@Sugar said:

I feel like KT Tunstall needs a mention.

Also, your tastes will changes. There's a lot of people writing some amazing music out there. Don't be afraid to open your mind.

Of course, however, you can like what ever you want to.

She was like the Adele before Adele - I constantly confused the two once they were both on the radio. I soured on both, though; I don't get the appeal - way too "epic" or whatever, although I do like Adele's Skyfall song. Both the song and the corresponding part in the movie were badass. I don't think James Bond has had such a bitchin' intro since like the 50's, they mostly abandoned that for a simple credit roll.

#92 Posted by Demoskinos (14520 posts) -
@CH3BURASHKA The point of music is enjoyment if you enjoy blasting Katy Perry in your car then more power to you. But if you want some music suggestions I personally really love Frank Ocean right now. But whatever Im also a huge huge Lady Gaga fan.
#93 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6285 posts) -

I'm a sucker for happy hardcore, wanna fight about it?