• 66 results
#1 Posted by RE_Player1 (7541 posts) -

Is there something wrong with me? For example I love Batman, he's one of my favourite characters of all time, and I've really tried to read Batman comics but I just don't like comic books. I love the movies, the television shows, games but I just can't bring myself to like the comics. Same goes for Spiderman, Superman, Green Lantern etc. 

#2 Posted by Yummylee (21200 posts) -

You're hardly alone. Because of the movies, games and TV shows such comic heroes have a whole new audience besides the comic book aficionado's.

#3 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5035 posts) -

Maybe you don't like the style. 

If anyone says comics are bad in a serious manner in this thread they will be destroyed. 

#4 Posted by RE_Player1 (7541 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" Maybe you don't like the style.  If anyone says comics are bad in a serious manner in this thread they will be destroyed.  "
I agree. I don't hate the format I just really can't get into it. I dunno I just find it weird that all these characters I love originated from something I don't really like at all. 
#5 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

Agree. I like the idea behind a lot of them, good plot and whatnot, but a comic book is something I just cannot do. When I was about 10 I was into comic books and I just wouldn't be able to do that now. But I'm glad the companies are expanding how they deliver their creative ideas to people other than by a book.

#6 Posted by exfauxsure (18 posts) -

Reading comics has a different "feel" to it compared to most media.  It is one of those things you either love or don't, I haven't met a single person in my daily life who can stand to just sit and read a comic book that didn't while growing up so you are definitely not alone.  

#7 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Most people in the world know who batman, superman, spiderman, half the avengers and most of the xmen are just because of the cultural trickledown. Without ever picking up a comic.

#8 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

It might have something to do with a particular writer or an artist.

#9 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Also I'd say the WB DCAU created a lot of fans. Batman springboarded off the Burton Batman movie success, and got so popular they made a superman spinoff which was also pretty popular. The early 90s Spiderman cartoon was ridiculously popular at the time as well. I actually remember not being able to sleep on a friday because I heard Spiderman was showing up in the Xmen cartoon(it might have been vice versa, its been a while).  I'd say for a lot of people, they're not really "comic book characters". They're better known from shows or movies. They just happened to start off in comics.

#10 Posted by RE_Player1 (7541 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" Also I'd say the WB DCAU created a lot of fans. Batman springboarded off the Burton Batman movie success, and got so popular they made a superman spinoff which was also pretty popular. The early 90s Spiderman cartoon was ridiculously popular at the time as well. I actually remember not being able to sleep on a friday because I heard Spiderman was showing up in the Xmen cartoon(it might have been vice versa, its been a while).  I'd say for a lot of people, they're not really "comic book characters". They're better known from shows or movies. They just happened to start off in comics. "
You pretty much hit the nail on the head for me :P And I remember that episode, the Xmen showed up in the Spiderman cartoon because he want Xavier to give him an antidote for being a mutant. 
#11 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

Comic books are for jerks.  Wait, what?

#12 Edited by danimal_furry (1453 posts) -

I can see that. The non comic versions are altered a bit to bring in fans. There's no shame in your game. It's a matter of taste. I don't do comic books anymore. It's not that I don't love my quaint collection. I just have lost interest. I like the movies and stuff because it is instant gratification and entertainment. I do want to be a cartoonist (like in news papers and such) one day. But I don't read the cartoons anymore either. They bore me. Maybe that means I'll create a new wave like Bill Watterson. I like dinosaurs too.
#13 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Really honestly. I get nothing at all from a comic book fight. Its kind of like reading a fight in a book. I can tell major shit's going on, but I can't get excited about static pictures. Comics are much better with meticulous stuff, where they reward you for noticing everything in the picture. That's why weird shit makes for a good comic and imo superhero comics just get boring.

#14 Posted by moywar700 (174 posts) -

I read comics but it's mostly indie stuff.

Really honestly. I get nothing at all from a comic book fight. Its kind of like reading a fight in a book. I can tell major shit's going on, but I can't get excited about static pictures. Comics are much better with meticulous stuff, where they reward you for noticing everything in the picture. That's why weird shit makes for a good comic and imo superhero comics just get boring.

A person is suppose to use their imagination for comics or manga for that matter.It can't be spoonfed. Comics are interactive and not passive like watching a film.

I can see why people don't like mainstream comics.They aren't continuity friendly and wouldn't know where to start.I would not recommend a new person Marvel or DC.I would tell a person to pick up Scott Pilgrim V.S The World but I wouldn't tell them to pick up last weeks issue of Aquaman.

#15 Posted by Miketakon (513 posts) -

I enjoy the cartoons better than the comics.

#16 Posted by moywar700 (174 posts) -

@Miketakon said:

I enjoy the cartoons better than the comics.

why is that?

#17 Posted by SimonM7 (129 posts) -

@msavo said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:
" Maybe you don't like the style. If anyone says comics are bad in a serious manner in this thread they will be destroyed. "
I agree. I don't hate the format I just really can't get into it. I dunno I just find it weird that all these characters I love originated from something I don't really like at all.

It takes a lot longer to get into comics because they are inherently a rather slow form of storytelling. They need more time to cover the same ground as even just an episode of a cartoon, not to mention a motion picture. There's a reason there are three different Sin City books woven into one movie.

If you still want to get into comics, you have to trust that it happens eventually. It can be difficult, because even though you like the stories told in the cartoons and movies, it doesn't mean you're guaranteed to connect with where the comic is at currently. I would suggest going back to story arcs that people like, and even THEN you can't expect to be hooked instantly. Just keep "surfing" the comic book you're interested in based on your experience with the arc you read. Saw a character in it that interested you? Ask the communities for stories involving that character and so on. Eventually you're more broadly "into" the book, and you become interested in characters and events that unfold in a way that a lot of comic books take for granted. That presumption about the readers is what makes it so hard to connect to initially, because they are mainly serving people with prior investment.

I went through this exact same thing a little over a year ago and I can absolutely relate. Good luck in your endeavours.

#18 Posted by RE_Player1 (7541 posts) -

Pretty old thread I made. Just to let you guys know I do follow a couple of series after the new 52 launch.

#19 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

im the same but with banana's

i like banana milkshake and banana tasting products.

but i hate eating banana's.

im I ALONE IN THIS!

#20 Posted by believer258 (11555 posts) -

That's not impossible. I'm the same way, only with anime and manga - I like some anime, I think that Fullmetal Alchemist is brilliant, but I have no interest in reading the manga.

It's fine.

#21 Posted by RE_Player1 (7541 posts) -

@believer258 said:

That's not impossible. I'm the same way, only with anime and manga - I like some anime, I think that Fullmetal Alchemist is brilliant, but I have no interest in reading the manga.

It's fine.

Which do you like more the original anime or Brotherhood? The original crossed a point to where I found it stupid but I adore everything in Brotherhood (the original story from the manga).

#22 Posted by UlquioKani (1016 posts) -

Got into reading Batman. It's frustrating because waiting a whole month for something I finish in about 5 minutes is killer. Maybe it's because I'm reasing them like books but the amount of actual story you get per issue seems like a third of an episode of a tv show and they are weekly forms of entertainment. I usually end up forgetting and like having a backlog of comics to got back to.

#23 Posted by Clonedzero (4036 posts) -

i get annoyed with comic books because nothing ever happens. its my same issue with star trek.

something interesting happens in that comic book / episode. boom magic reset button that puts it all back to the status quo

#24 Posted by believer258 (11555 posts) -

@msavo said:

@believer258 said:

It's fine.

Which do you like more the original anime or Brotherhood? The original crossed a point to where I found it stupid but I adore everything in Brotherhood (the original story from the manga).

(This has been asked so many times that I need to put the answer into a Word document or whatever)

Ultimately, I'm going to say that Brotherhood winds up being the better anime, but I have some issues with it. I feel like the pacing is way too fast for proper character buildup in the beginning - you don't even get to see much of Hughes, for instance - and I feel like that leads to an even bigger problem. Throughout much of the first half, the series's humor comes at inopportune times, and on a few occasions it's just too much. In fact, there are a couple of episodes that I simply skipped because I didn't want to endure some of the way over-the-top humor that I feel really doesn't belong in the show. I almost didn't watch Brotherhood because of it. But I did say that Brotherhood was the better show, and I meant it - the show starts ramping up in quality during the mid-teens numbered episodes and just skyrockets from there. Some of my favorite moments happen in the later parts of Brotherhood and the huge cast of characters and multiple plot lines are all done quite well and are pretty interesting. My problems with the first half still pop up occasionally but only occasionally. I just don't feel like I can say that Brotherhood is better without mentioning how much I really dislike the first thirteen or so episodes.

So what about the first one? Well, I like how it's got a darker, more cynical view of things. Brotherhood has some of this too, but the original has a fair bit more brooding and contemplation coming from the characters, and the characters themselves are better-done in the original in my opinion. Edward becomes a Byronic hero here moreso than he does in Brotherhood. I think that this one deals with the theme of equivalent exchange in some pretty interesting ways, and it matches the more cynical tone of the show than the very idealistic ending of Brotherhood. Unfortunately, the original anime is a good bit less consistent with its storyline, there are a decent number of plot holes and some things don't make sense (how can a disease turn people into stone? How come Lust wants to become a human? Why do the filler episodes suck? How come all of these trees are changing color? Why didn't the red water kill that kid?) And then there's the atrocious movie afterwards. I'm actually fine with the ending of the show, it caps off the whole equivalent exchange theme quite well and ends with a little bit of hope that Ed's going to get back home. And he does that in the movie, but then it goes "Ah! Fooled you! He's gotta go right back ...but Al will be with him!" And that didn't settle well with me, when I rewatched the original last I skipped the movie. I still very much enjoy the original and I don't at all think that Brotherhood invalidated it like some people do. It's also the anime that got me into anime in the first place.

#25 Posted by Miketakon (513 posts) -

@moywar700: It's cooler to see in action. Ive tried so many many many many times to get into comics it's just not for me.

#26 Posted by mordukai (7125 posts) -

@msavo said:

Is there something wrong with me?

Yes. Something is wrong with you. I recommend a heavy treatment of Frank Miller and Alan Moore,

#27 Posted by feliciano182 (100 posts) -

I don't blame you, comics suck these days.

#28 Posted by Yummylee (21200 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

You're hardly alone. Because of the movies, games and TV shows such comic heroes have a whole new audience besides the comic book aficionado's.

I agree, Yummylee from the past. Though I was technically Abyssfull when I posted this...

#29 Edited by Yummylee (21200 posts) -

@doobie said:

im the same but with banana's

i like banana milkshake and banana tasting products.

but i hate eating banana's.

im I ALONE IN THIS!

So how do you feel about Banana superhero comics?

#30 Edited by Undeadpool (4902 posts) -

@msavo said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:
" Maybe you don't like the style. If anyone says comics are bad in a serious manner in this thread they will be destroyed. "

Have you tried "trade paperbacks"? They're collections of several issues in one volume and even I find them easier to read/superior to single issues.

Edit: And those "quotes" aren't meant to be condescending.

#31 Posted by moywar700 (174 posts) -

What I like about comics is that they can do anything.They don't have to worry about the cost.They don't have to kill of actors just to save money or worry about special effects costing too much.They have "ultimate budget."

#32 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

There's nothing wrong with you. Comics are rendered in many different ways anymore. If you don't like something, you don't like it. No creative work should be experienced in just one way.

#33 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1552 posts) -

I'm right there with you. I love the Batman, but cannot stand to read about him in comic book form.

#34 Posted by Mr_Misery (257 posts) -

Same here. I get headaches when I read comics.

#35 Edited by moywar700 (174 posts) -

Is it really that hard to read sequential storytelling?It's like saying I have problems watching a film.Comics aren't hard to read,it just reads as left to right and right to left if it's a manga.

#36 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4580 posts) -

Reading wikipedia articles that summarize the stories in superhero comics is often more fun than reading superhero comics. Go figure.

#37 Posted by Aronleon (727 posts) -

Not really and trust me you're saving yourself from a headache from reading all the back stories for some of this characters, teams, universes etc.

#38 Posted by moywar700 (174 posts) -

They are comics that aren't superheros.

#39 Edited by egg (1452 posts) -

I have sort of the opposite problem. I've started to get into comics, but it lately occurred to me that as a result of liking comics, I will find gaming titles based on comic books depressing.

For instance in Injustice: Gods Among Us, Superman is levitating instead of standing on the ground. This pisses me off. But imagine if I cared about Superman more than I do? (not to mention Superman is one of the comics I'm most interested in getting into) Then it would be much worse! And I hate fighting games! If they didn't incessantly put comic book characters in fighting games, it wouldn't matter. Same if I didn't get into comics, but unfortunately I did!

That said, up until recently I was at a loss as to why anyone would be into comics. At a distance they seemed overpriced and the characters bland (Spider-Man STILL seems like a one-dimensional dispenser of wisecracks) and the stories disjointed and spread across multiple series.

My suggestion OP is to seek out a series you'd find entertaining. The most mainstream comics like Batman or Spider-Man are not always the best. (often they aren't) Another possible solution is to do some research and seek out a story arc that was well received, and read that story arc from the beginning. If you pick out a random Batman comic and read it, it'll probably fail to engage you since you don't know what's going on. (and maybe the comic isn't even considered good) Also look into trade paperbacks (collections of comics) since this way you'll get a meatier dose of story at a better value. (buying a single issue to me usually feels like buying table scraps)

Right now DC has like a gazillion Batman comics (Batman, Batman The Dark Knight, Detective Comics, Batman Inc, etc) but some are reviewed more positively than others. So it may help to do the research.

You are interested in Batman, but I can't tell if this is a curse or a blessing. One on hand it sounds like a great start for getting into comics. On the other hand maybe you like Batman for certain reasons that don't translate well to comics for you.

#40 Posted by feliciano182 (100 posts) -

@Aronleon said:

Not really and trust me you're saving yourself from a headache from reading all the back stories for some of this characters, teams, universes etc.

Floating Timeline, oh how I hate you.

#41 Posted by Veektarius (4531 posts) -

I tried getting into Batman in the new 52, after my occasional visits to Comic Vine assured me that it was a 'can't miss' series. I didn't like it very much. The primary problem being the amount of content per issue, but I also didn't care for their interpretation of the character, compared to others. I guess I knew beforehand that in comics, Batman is seen as being as crazy as the Joker, in his own way, but in the cartoons and movies, he's still very human. I definitely prefer it that way.

#42 Posted by project343 (2809 posts) -

@msavo said:

Is there something wrong with me? For example I love Batman, he's one of my favourite characters of all time, and I've really tried to read Batman comics but I just don't like comic books. I love the movies, the television shows, games but I just can't bring myself to like the comics. Same goes for Spiderman, Superman, Green Lantern etc.

You should maybe try a hand at some of the better, darker Batman stuff.

#43 Posted by Kidavenger (3484 posts) -

A question to people that don't like comics; do you read any books on a regular basis?

#44 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4673 posts) -

I have no interest in superhero comics but have nothing against the format.

#45 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

I only read comics when they come in those super neat editions with a whole arc in it. What are they called? Paperback? I dunno. But for me, they are way better. Better quality, they come with a full story, it's pretty amazing. I still have my Watchmen: Special Edition with me.

@Kidavenger said:

A question to people that don't like comics; do you read any books on a regular basis?

I dunno if i count, but i like to read books, specially horror and short stories. I've been trying to find a good Cyberpunk book in the local library but i still haven't found one.

#46 Posted by GunstarRed (4992 posts) -

I like the idea of getting this physical thing pop through my letterbox every month. I think there's something special about holding twenty or so pages of wonderful art in my hands. I understand that it's frustrating having to wait so long to get the equivalent of a quarter of a TV show once a month, but it's worth it for the great stories

I really, really, really don't understand anyone that says they love Batman, but hate the comics.

#47 Posted by oraknabo (1453 posts) -

I love comics, but hate most comic characters.

I'm more into older comics, but I like a few New 52 books. Action, Animal Man, Swamp Thing & Wonder Woman have been really worth it, but I still don't like most of the rest of DC. Too much of it feels the same. The Batman stuff seems OK, but it's spread out over so many titles, I've been avoiding them. The only related thing I've read is the Jonah Hex book.

I barely like anything at Marvel. I loved everything Kirby and Steve Gerber did there and have a lot of respect for the early FF and Inhumans stuff, but I hate most of their characters and storylines now.

Comics, both mainstream and indie, just don't really cater to my tastes like they once did. I worry that games are going the same way now where everything is either a social/mobile game I don't want to play or a crappy AAA title a million people worked on worth millions in development, but isn't even fun to play. There are still a few titles a year from both industries I really like or an occasional standout indie, but overall, I don't feel as connected to either medium like I used to.

#48 Posted by DarthOrange (3802 posts) -
@moywar700 said: 

I can see why people don't like mainstream comics.They aren't continuity friendly and wouldn't know where to start.I would not recommend a new person Marvel or DC.I would tell a person to pick up Scott Pilgrim V.S The World but I wouldn't tell them to pick up last weeks issue of Aquaman.

That is the biggest issue in Marvel and DC comics today. I can easily recommend people trades like the Secret Wars or Civil War but getting into weekly comics is a near impenetrable beast.
#49 Posted by oraknabo (1453 posts) -

@DarthOrange: Everything in DC right now is barely 1.5 years old and Marvel's doing some reboots too. I don't think there has been a better time to recommend superhero comics to a new reader.

#50 Posted by egg (1452 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

as in non-comic, non-manga books? With lots of words in them and no pictures? my answer is no :p