• 122 results
jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#51  Edited By jacksukeru

I've only watched the third one once and I don't remember all that much, but with everyone saying it's the best of the bunch I might give it a  rewatch someday. 

I enjoyed the first two too, the first time around. I especially remember seeing the second one in the theater as a kid and my jaw dropping and me going "WOAH!" when Yoda whipped out that lightsaber.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By wrighteous86
@RockmanBionics said:
"I especially remember seeing the second one in the theater as a kid and my jaw dropping and me going "WOAH!" when Yoda whipped out that lightsaber. "
I remember being a kid and groaning, and suddenly becoming very embarrassed by the series.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#53  Edited By Yummylee

I can't stand Episode 2, but I do adore Phantom Menace with the battles against Darth Maul, and Episode 3 was overall a pretty good flick for me.

Contra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Contra
@Wrighteous86 said:

" @RockmanBionics said:

"I especially remember seeing the second one in the theater as a kid and my jaw dropping and me going "WOAH!" when Yoda whipped out that lightsaber. "
I remember being a kid and groaning, and suddenly becoming very embarrassed by the series. "
I had the same reaction! 
It was about that point I felt embarrassed  to be in that movie theater.  And I (while drunk) sat through all of Epic Movie (though I was retrained from leaving by other people after 10 minutes).  
If you don't understand why Yoda was a badass before he eve3r showed he had a lightsaber he used; watch and try to resolve him fighting in the senate to being a homeless annoying dude on a planet  who fights R2D2 with a cane for shiney bits of plastic.  Seriously, just go and try to merge those two people together mentally.  If you can do it, you are a better person than I.  And before you say he got old, noone gets that old in 20 years.

No it's because for all practical reasons they are different characters.  One is eccentric, wise and leading a monk like life.  While the other is a superpowered bouncing ball with a light saber; its metroid.  One is a monk who can teavh you things about an old religion, the other is Samus getting power ups.
FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By FacelessVixen

Me being a part of the young target audience when Episode 1 came out, the RedLetterMedia reviews have brought some things to light for me.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By wrighteous86

@Contra:  Also, in the Original Trilogy, the whole point of Yoda, the whole message he was trying to teach Luke, was epitomized by "Size matters not."  He was this insane Jedi warrior despite his physical failings.  It was his force abilities and his mind that made him a badass.  If he had done the fight just using the force, or even controlling the lightsaber with his mind, that would've been one thing, but flipping around and being a physical fighter was out of character.  You could argue he was using the force to flip around and practically fly around Dooku, but you'd have to think there would be a more effective way for him to fight if his mastery was that strong.  

They fix this a bit when he battles the Emperor in Ep. 3, where the two are using their powers more than actually swordfighting.  I did get a kick out of them throwing lightning and daises around like they were nothing.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#57  Edited By jacksukeru
@Wrighteous86 said:
" @RockmanBionics said:
I remember being a kid and groaning, and suddenly becoming very embarrassed by the series. "
Embarrassed? I was never that invested in the series personally, but sure.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By wrighteous86
@RockmanBionics: I considered myself a fan, and at that moment, I felt dumb for being one.  That's all.
taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By taccyp

I grew up with them much like people grew up with the original trilogy. I have a strange nostalgic attachment to them but I totally realize that they are by and large awful movies.

Contra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Contra
@Wrighteous86: 
I'd have been cool with Yoda only fighting with the force, using it is cool ways.  I'm even ok with him owning a lightsaber as it is the symbol of a Jedi.  And using force to fight with it I can agree with.  
But it's the flipping, and throwing out of these generic same leveled powers that was just silly.  

You don't get that what Yoda could do was special in any way.   It's just a game of anything you can do, I can do better using the same powers and abilities at eachother.

Also the flipping and jumping made no tactical sence from a fighting point of view.   He was smaller and could move around earier, so he had an advantage in that way  and should have been constantly going for the legs.  Instead he leaves himself open for attack multiple himes by blindly jumping.  It's just silly.

No matter the acting issues of being told there is a 3 foot CG green rat with a laser sword flying around you and you have to fight it.
Grande1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#61  Edited By Grande1

This one should be labeled  like the "DONT MESS WITH TEXAS" slogan,  as in 
"DONT MESS WITH STAR WARS" 

LOl!

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By MysteriousBob
@keyhunter said:
" I still think Episode 1 is the best Starwars in Series. Especially if you have a decent sound system. "
I know opinions are opinions but that statement is just flat out wrong.
Avatar image for theherbivorousbig
theherbivorousbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really easily entertained when it comes to movies, but the prequels are absolutely fucking terrible films. Like, borderline unwatchable. 

The originals are fun, campy adventure stories. 

The new ones are convoluted, bloated political dramas with completely interchangeable, wooden characters. Nothing about them is fun. 

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#64  Edited By obcdexter
xandor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved all of them. There not as exciting as the originals and the acting is dour I guess

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Oh, good.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#67  Edited By DarthOrange

They are fun movies. Neither deep nor masterpieces of cinema but they were still fun. Some people just take shit too seriously.

Edit: That motherfucking bump.

Double0hFor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Double0hFor

How did you find a thread that is over 2 years old? You must've dug deep

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

How do you motherfuckers even find this shit?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing that fucking gets me is Anakin - Darth fucking Vader - built C3PO as a kid for funsies. It's like Phantom Menace is a goddamn satire of the franchise or something. Jesus H. fucking Christ Lucas!

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By personandstuff
benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#73  Edited By benspyda

Woooooow an old fucking thread. Anyway the star wars prequels are just kinda boring and nonsensical , they are not A Good Day to Die Hard bad, just compared to how great the original trilogy were they don't hold up. I think for me maybe A Good Day to Die Hard has taken over from Transformers 2 for comparing average movies to real turds. You learn to appreciate movies like the prequel trilogy when you really see an awful film.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You're allowed to love Episode III.

You're allowed to love Episode I *if* you're 12-years old or younger.

You're not allowed to enjoy, appreciate, or condone Episode II under any circumstances.

I'm afraid you must leave now.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They were written poorly and had some legitimately horrible acting. Ironically, considering it had the worst plot and the fucking Gungans, I think Episode I is the most watchable due to Jinn and Kenobi being centre stage (plus dat Darth Maul fight).

Two is just a complete non-entity of a movie, and three is better plotted but once again let down by Anakon and Padme being fucking terrible, as well as surprisingly rushed plotting considering Lucas dicked around with the first two movies.

There are problems with the original trilogy (including some poor writing and Ewoks), but at the very least they were well-written and plotted.

Anyway, I stand by the best Star Wars trilogy of all time by far is the one written by Timothy Zahn. Grand Admiral Thrawn baby!

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyway, I stand by the best Star Wars trilogy of all time by far is the one written by Timothy Zahn. Grand Admiral Thrawn baby!

Yes, this. The Thrawn trilogy was the best thing to ever happen to Star Wars. Thrawn is up there in direct competition with the original movies' greatest bad guys: Darth Vader, the Emperor, Jabba...

This was one of the biggest failings of the prequels: no good bad guys. The lame four lightsaber wielding, wheezing droid whatever-his-name-was and Count Dookie were piss-poor baddies compared to the likes of those found in Zahn's and the original trilogy.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By CheapPoison

Why would you tell anyone this?

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love all six Star Wars movies equally. They all have their good points and their bad points. Episodes VII-IX, plus the stand-alones, those I feel are going to be horrible. It seems like those movies are gonna be made for the teens who just got into Star Wars because it's "cool to be a nerd" now, and most likely haven't seen the originals. That makes me so sad, so I'm not gonna go see them. In between the new movies, TOR, Battlefront, and the cancellation of 1313, Star Wars is pretty much dead to me now.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

They are ok. Mainly due to Natalie Portman being cute.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like III.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missacre said:

I love all six Star Wars movies equally. They all have their good points and their bad points. Episodes VII-IX, plus the stand-alones, those I feel are going to be horrible. It seems like those movies are gonna be made for the teens who just got into Star Wars because it's "cool to be a nerd" now, and most likely haven't seen the originals. That makes me so sad, so I'm not gonna go see them. In between the new movies, TOR, Battlefront, and the cancellation of 1313, Star Wars is pretty much dead to me now.

At least have some optimism maaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnn I think they'll be fine.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Friend of mine thought this up & have to agree that if the prequels were told from Obi Wan's perspective then it might have turned out a little better if the rest of the storyline was the same. Overall I think that the prequels were just taking the whole series to a more kid friendly mess along with really overdoing the computer graphics to give it an overall fake look to it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#83  Edited By Hunter5024

They're mostly terrible. There are definitely aspects of all of them that I like though. It's a shame that the acting, writing, and directing are all so awful.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I liked the dark and stormy watery place that Obi-Wan went to for a bit. All that dark stormy lighting massive waves ocean shit was cool, you only see about 30 seconds of it though.

And the sound effect on those bombs that Fett used in that asteroid field for a bit was pretty dope too.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaat's about it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@rick_fingers said:

Yes, this. The Thrawn trilogy was the best thing to ever happen to Star Wars. Thrawn is up there in direct competition with the original movies' greatest bad guys: Darth Vader, the Emperor, Jabba...

This was one of the biggest failings of the prequels: no good bad guys. The lame four lightsaber wielding, wheezing droid whatever-his-name-was and Count Dookie were piss-poor baddies compared to the likes of those found in Zahn's and the original trilogy.

Darth Maul? Even though, or possibly because, he said like four words throughout the entire first movie?

I haven't watched The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones in ages, long before high school ended even. Revenge of the Sith isn't a bad movie, really. There are some bad lines ("I hate you! You took her from me" Are you still 12, Anakin?) but it's a fairly good action movie at least.

I remember thinking that Attack of the Clones was both really boring and really badly written, though.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@jb16: I like them too, I think it's just the hardcore "starwars fans" who hate them so much.

Kind of ironic.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#87  Edited By Christoffer

Can't say I remember them at all which in itself tells you something. But I'll admit I've been bored of the "high concept action/adventures family movies" for a long long time.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are only two good Star Wars movies.

ungratefuldead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: The four armed guy is General Grievous, and he was much better portrayed in the cartoon.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

I waited in line to see Episode IV in 1978. I was thirteen. The next two films were just as awesome except for those damn Ewoks. The fuck were those cuddly things. I waited in line to see Episode I. I wanted to throw up. Episodes II and III were full of bad acting and dialog with no chemistry at all. Take me back to 1978 anytime.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't care about Star Wars enough to bitch about the legacy being poop on or whatever. I do however think that the prequels are terrible on their own merits, did not enjoy those movies at all.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to agree with you, they're pretty alright. A New Hope and Empire are still better but let's be honest, Return of the Jedi is not very good.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By toowalrus

Indeed. Those Ewok's can fuck right off.

You know, I re-watched the original trilogy a few weeks ago, I'm not actually sure why I like those movies other than the fact that I remember watching them with my dad as a kid. Is Star Wars shit?

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@techhits said:

@jb16:

I like them too, I think it's just the hardcore "starwars fans" who hate them so much.

Kind of ironic.

Or people who appreciate good writing, good acting, good story development, etc. The fact that they do the original trilogy a disservice as poorly-told prequels just makes them that much worse. It isn't ironic at all that hardcore Star Wars fans would dislike a trilogy of movies that are missing most of what made the originals so endearing in the first place.

The prequels have some exciting action sequences, and that's about the only compliment I can pay them. I don't hate them, but I don't consider them especially good movies, either.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@donchipotle said:

Indeed. Those Ewok's can fuck right off.

You know, I re-watched the original trilogy a few weeks ago, I'm not actually sure why I like those movies other than the fact that I remember watching them with my dad as a kid. Is Star Wars shit?

If you thought that after watching The Empire Strikes Back, then you sir can fuck the fuckity fuck right fucking off.

Greatest movie ever made.

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Royce_McCutcheon

The last half of Jedi is stellar. I want to fight people who say that ocean of bile that is Ep. III is a better movie.

As far as the Ewoks go, it's the low point of the series but don't lie - when you were a kid you liked them.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the difference is that the old ones appeal to movie buffs and science fiction fans.

The movie buffs had pretty close to nothing to like in this movie. The terrible writing and acting(I am looking at Padme here) make the new ones pretty unwatchable, you are just always waiting for the next action scene because everything else sucks, and film buffs appreciate some good action scenes but its not even that well thought out, the action that is, its just a bunch of colors around the screen. The characters are just not compelling at all, maybe Anakin but the fact that he is whiny and annoying kind of doesn't make him interesting either. + its really dumb to introduce such a bad-ass looking villain like Darth Maul for him to get about 20 seconds of footage and then fight for 5minutes and die. Either he should not have existed or he should have replaced general grievous later on.

The science fiction fans are a little more forgiving except about the lore rape... midichlorians(not even worth looking up). Also they probably weren't pleased with the races being introduced, they had no character to them like the old ones, C3PO was boring, R2D2 was boring...

So the new ones only appeal to people who don't appreciate film for anything more than pop corn flicks.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

I don't LOVE them, but I certainly don't think they're as bad as most would tell you.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By abendlaender
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason you like it is the reason I hate it. Star Wars shouldn't be about space-politics. It should be about space-ruffians sticking it to the space-man.

Also the aesthetic change sucks. The appeal of Star Wars was in how gritty and shitty it all looked. A real lived-in sci-fi world that contrasted all the SF movies at the time. The prequels just make it generic clean and simple looking sci-fi.

But anyway, whatever. I'm over it. I've moved on, there's no sense in hating on movies I'd just rather forget about. Star Trek got it's hooks in me lately, love that shit. Deep Space Nine, now that's some good space-politics.