• 159 results
#1 Edited by RoboRobb (1051 posts) -

Hey! Should I get this tattoo?

Background info:

Ryan Davis drastically impacted my life, and specifically my career. I have been following Ryan, Jeff and the rest of the gang for over a decade now, and it has shaped what I do on a day-to-day basis. I was lucky enough to meet Ryan and Vinny about four years ago, and meeting them made me realise my life ambition to write professionally.

So, as you could expect, Ryan's passing hit me hard.

I have no other tattoos. I don't think I would get more than one. I've always considered getting one, but always couldn't find a design I liked. Well, I always liked Ryan's design, and even before his passing thought of copying his binary armband concept.

In light of his death, I am going to get his tattoo design, in the exact same place where Ryan had it, but it now reads "Ryan":

Ryan's actual tattoo (it said 'mom').

it reads 'RYAN'

This isn't the final design, I need to give it to a proper artist to make it look more accurate in terms of the box and line dimensions. It might be upside down in that picture (I'll make sure it's the right way up if I was to get it).

If someone had such a profound impact on my life, surely this is a good idea? I've had someone draw it out on my skin and it looks pretty awesome.

Any feedback would be wicked-awesome. Love you Giant Bomb xoxo

#2 Edited by Fallen189 (4972 posts) -

I would think very hard before you go ahead with this decision

#3 Posted by falserelic (5394 posts) -

If it makes you happy, then go for it.

#4 Posted by Brenderous (1098 posts) -

#5 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10821 posts) -

Remember, tattoos are forever. Make ABSOLUTELY SURE that you want this, and that it's correct. You don't want a binary typo in something permanently applied to your flesh.

Moderator Online
#6 Posted by Boboblaw (280 posts) -

@fallen189 said:

this, sounds like a terrible idea but then again most tattoos do

#7 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

No. Because? Ryan would say it is stupid. What will you say when someone asks what it means and you say some guys name? Are you going to explain that you have the name in binary of some guy on a website that chances are they have never heard of?

Im not trying to be mean or say not to remember Ryan but this is a stupid way to do it. Why not donate money to his wife? Or send flowers? Put that money to use.

#8 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3151 posts) -

Go for it, I approve. Would also be cool with somebody getting a Ryan's sweat face outline on their chest from that Alexis story on the tribute bombcast to Ryan.

#9 Posted by TurboMan (7494 posts) -

I feel that it gets in the realm of insanity when you get a tattoo about somebody else that isn't in your immediate family. But if you're that insane, go for it.

#10 Posted by Vuud (1944 posts) -

I love regret, don't you?

#11 Posted by Milkman (16614 posts) -

If you want to do it, do it. You don't need the internet's approval.

#12 Posted by DanHammett (151 posts) -

Whatever makes you happy. If you want to, then go for it

#13 Posted by cheebaking (123 posts) -

I dunno. I can see it as a reminder to hug your friends a bit tighter. Plus binary looks cool and it has to say something.
But as always, think about it for a while.

#14 Posted by byrjun (154 posts) -

Getting a tattoo is about as individualistic as wearing a pair of Nike shoes these days. Also, you're essentially pumping stuff you woundn't drink into your body.

But I project.

I used to want to have one, had a big idea for it and everything. But now, a few years later, I'm kinda happy I didn't. First of all because of my body, second of all because I'm not entirely the same person anymore (and I'm glad I didn't "brand" myself a certain type of person), and third because as I see it, suddenly everyone has one, which makes my perceived rebel-side of myself convulse and then happy I'm not part of THAT crowd. I'm weird. Do what you want.

#15 Edited by RoboRobb (1051 posts) -

@milkman said:

If you want to do it, do it. You don't need the internet's approval.

I know, but I feel it's always good to get a wide-array of opinions.

#16 Posted by CaLe (3944 posts) -

I've never been interested in tattoos but always thought Ryan's was kinda cool. Better this than a flaming unicorn riding a dragon over a pagoda, or whatever the kids are into these days.

#17 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

2 things I hate about tattoos

1) People thinking that getting one means something about them. If it ever did, that stigma has LONG since past, what, with every 35 year old soccer mom having a "Tramp stamp" or ankle tattoo or whatever.

2)People thinking they have to justify their tattoo by dreaming up some ridiculous significance for why they HAVE to have it. At this point, it sounds way less dumb to just say "I want to get a tattoo just to do it". Than it does to say "Oh, my grandmother always really loved butterflies so I want to get a tiny one on my hip to remember her" or whatever.

I say, if you want to get the tattoo, go ahead and get it. I always thought it looked really good as far as tattoos go. IT's not even the kind of thing he'd ever have to hide. It just looked good and looked good on him. But if you go into the whole "meaning" behind it, every time someone asks you, and how it says "Ryan" who was this video game guy on the internet that you liked who inspired you to go into writing even though he never really liked it that much and quit doing it by the end... ugh. Just shoot me.

#18 Posted by EuanDewar (4873 posts) -

I don't think you should but ultimately, that doesn't matter.

#19 Edited by gkhan (419 posts) -

@roborobb: Hey, you know what's a much better idea?

Get the same tattoo as Ryan had. It's still honoring Ryan, but it has the added effect of honoring your mom as well. So when people ask, you can tell them it spells "mom".

I'd think very, very long and hard about getting any tattoo, but if you do, you should get one that you can feel comfortable with in 30 years. Are you sure you're going to want Ryan's name tattooed on you in 30 years? I personally doubt it. I do think, however, that you'd be comfortable with having something honoring your mother on your arm, because what's more awesome than a person's mother? Nothing, that's what.

But hey, you're an adult (I'm assuming), it's totally your decision. And you can always have it removed, though I hear it's waaaay more painful than getting it.

#20 Edited by BluPotato (408 posts) -

Do whatever. I don't care.

#21 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4184 posts) -

Why don't you, get a tattoo in that styling that says "mom." Or your significant other's name. That way you'll have a "Ryan" tattoo, and others won't think you like a boy.

#22 Edited by buft (3315 posts) -

01110010011110010110000101101110001000000110010001100001011101100110100101110011 forever

#23 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

I think that sounds like a nice gesture.

#24 Edited by TyrellOCP (334 posts) -

This is such a stupid idea.

DO IT!

#25 Edited by ahgunsillyo (448 posts) -

If Ryan really meant that much to you, then do what you feel that you need to do. You should also think, though, that there are other ways to commemorate the man that don't potentially result in explaining to everybody in your life, both present and future, what it means and why another man's name (who is, for all intents and purposes, a stranger, at least to them) is permanently written on your forearm.

Another idea that wouldn't take away from your intent is to simply get Ryan's tattoo that said "MOM" in binary. That way, you still honor the man without having his name tattooed on your arm, and if anybody asks, just tell them it says "MOM" in binary and they'll say "Aww, that's sweet" or "Hey, that's clever." That way, it carries multiple meanings that are easier to explain to others. I can't speak for everyone, but I feel like the reason people are a bit skeptical about this idea is that you're thinking of getting a tattoo on your arm of the name of a man with whom you don't have a close personal relationship. That's not meant to offend you or anything, and I hope I didn't, but there just are other options. You're young. Think about how you'll feel about having Ryan's name on your arm when you're married, or when you're a grandpa or something.

But again, if you feel really that strongly about it, and he inspired you THAT much, and you feel that this is the best way you can honor the man, then who are we to tell you any different?

#26 Posted by Zajtalan (1163 posts) -

Do it. Yeah it's permanent but who fucking cares. My advice is dont think twice. It'll be a good conversation starter if anything

#27 Posted by Pop (2616 posts) -

Sounds weird to me, maybe it would be less weird if it said bomb or mom, can't you get one of those tattoos that lasts six months? See how people react and what you tell them when they ask about it and if it's all cool you go ahead and get the real thing.

#28 Posted by firecracker22 (536 posts) -

I thought it was a pretty cool tattoo. I thought it was actually a tribal design, didn't know it was 011100100....

#29 Posted by WickedFather (1731 posts) -

What does "IIIiiiit's Tuesday..." look like in binary?

#30 Posted by Jimbo (9796 posts) -

Sleep on it. Then keep sleeping on it until you change your mind.

#31 Posted by pyromagnestir (4283 posts) -

Personally I'd go with this guy:

courtesy of @fobwashed. I'd get him as a tramp stamp. I think Ryan would approve of this.

#32 Posted by AlKusanagi (914 posts) -

When I read the topic title, I said to myself, "Getting his face or name as a tattoo would be pretty dumb, but getting the same tattoo he had would be pretty cool." Seeing as we are on the same page, go for it!

#33 Edited by Reisz (1478 posts) -

Tattoos mean different things to different people. Don't listen to what others think about your decision, just make sure you feel good about it.

For what it's worth Ryan's tatt was the first time I'd seen a binary armband and I thought it was fresh as hell. I haven't seen one since.

#34 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1734 posts) -

Whatever man, don't rush it, but in the end it's just skin. If Ryan meant something to you, and this tattoo means something to you, then it's a fitting tribute. People who dislike tattoos in general can eff' off.

#35 Posted by jaycrockett (441 posts) -

Get it, and get your mom to change her name to Ryan.

#36 Edited by Dagbiker (6957 posts) -

A Rose by any other name...

Basicly, its not what the tatoo says or is, its why you get one.

Its a symbol. Its an emotion. Its an Idea. You could get a trampstamp of PacMan, and everyone could laugh you off the face of the earth. But as long as you remember you got that PacMan for Ryan, then it dosent matter what anyone else thinks.

#37 Edited by WMoyer83 (633 posts) -

Get Ryan's name tattooed on your throat in old English font.

#38 Posted by Bones8677 (3224 posts) -

Please keep in mind, I've heard that straight lines for a tattoo are not a great idea. Because when you are older those lines have bulged an warped with the skin. So what are nice and crisp lines now, will be blotches in 20 years.

#39 Edited by Sanity (1896 posts) -

Eh, i loved listening and watching him work, but this seems like a bit much. This site is great and all but i dont know if it will out live you, not meaning anything by it, just saying that you should think real hard about this.

#40 Posted by elpurplemonkey (153 posts) -

A tattoo is a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling- just make sure you want to always remember that feeling.

It sounds like honoring Ryan is something you really want to do and you won't regret it 5, 10 years down the line. So I say do it, seems like you really want to. You just want a little push from the internet. But it doesn't matter what the internet says, doesn't matter what we think. All that matters is what you think.

All that being said, this would be pretty damn cool, duder.

#41 Posted by ChrisTaran (1579 posts) -

I've always liked Ryan's tattoo as well. It would be on the small list of things I'd consider getting myself. But, at this point I doubt I'd ever get one.

Still, I think it's a great design and a cool tattoo to get if you are going to get one to honor Ryan.

#42 Edited by K9 (621 posts) -

Dumb as hell idea. Don't do it. You won't be feeling like this about Ryan a few years from now.

#43 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

Kinda weird since you didnt personally know the guy.

I mean, you're talking to a girl, she's like "whats your tattoo say?" and you're lke "Ryan" and she's like "oh you're gay?" then you'll be like "no, its the name of a dude from a website i like who died". Then she'll walk away.

#44 Posted by MikkaQ (10276 posts) -

Remember, tattoos are forever. Make ABSOLUTELY SURE that you want this, and that it's correct. You don't want a binary typo in something permanently applied to your flesh.

Yeah it could cause a buffer overflow man.

#45 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

You should make sure you are happy with your choice for at least a few years, if you eventually come to regret your decision you can always have a kid and name him Ryan to rectify the situation, I say go for it!

#46 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1554 posts) -

@cale said:

I've never been interested in tattoos but always thought Ryan's was kinda cool. Better this than a flaming unicorn riding a dragon over a pagoda, or whatever the kids are into these days.

Well. I clearly haven't lived my life to the fullest if I've yet to see this on someone.

#47 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6396 posts) -

I don't like tattoos, but if I had to get one, I'd either get one referencing Giant Bomb or Ryan, so I think it's a solid idea. I really don't understand the people saying that you will suddenly think differently of Ryan years from now- for me, he'll always be an inspiration and a role model. What could possibly change that?

#48 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

Ryan was a fucking amazing person, but getting a tattoo for him would set a dangerously low precedent on what you'll do to your own body for people you've never met.

#49 Edited by oliver (124 posts) -

@brenderous:said:

#50 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4689 posts) -

Don't be put off by the "OMG tattoos are forever" crowd. It's just a tattoo. Ultimately, it's not that bloody important. You don't need some amazing, profound reason to get a tattoo. Just get one because you feel like it, or because it's funny, or because you saw a design you like. The ones you regret are the ones you search for a reason to get.

Also don't be put off by the "You'll have to explain it to people and they'll think you're dumb" crowd. If you're going to care about people thinking you're dumb, never do anything ever. You don't need anyone's approval for doing anything, and you certainly don't need external validation for a tattoo.

However, this doesn't seem like the kind of thing Ryan would have liked at all.