I'm getting a tattoo in memory of Ryan Davis

• 170 results
Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Do what'chu gotta do, homie. If people on the internet are capable of dissuading you from getting it done, you probably weren't fully committed to the idea in the first place.

LISTEN TO YOUR HEART

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By zeforgotten

Who the fuck cares what we think?

I have tattoos as well. Jack Skellington, a Red Mushroom being eaten by Mario. The Letters T.C.L.K on my arm as well (Initials for Dad, Mom, Sister and Sister)
If I had listened to anyone other that myself and what I felt I wouldn't have gotten any one them. Thing is, you'll never bump into any of these assmunching clowns from the forums in real life so what do you care?

If you like the design and you feel it's the right thing to do then go through with it.

Also, don't ever listen to the "Ryan would think that..."-crowd.
As if any of these wannabes actually knows what the fuck Ryan would've thought about it. Nobody knew him on a personal level, why do you think everyone felt so useless when he died?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

That's a really neat tattoo, I always thought it was cool. There are very few really smart tattoos like that.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I always thought his mom binary tattoo was really cool. If you're going to honor Ryan Davis, then get that. That way when people ask about it you can be up front about it, instead of making up a story about it or awkwardly telling people it's in honor of a guy from the internet.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

010001000110111100100000011011100110111101110100001000000110010001101111001000000110100101110100

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Do what you gotta do.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a cool idea. Though, I agree with some people that getting your own version of Ryan's tattoo would be cool. That way, you can both connect with Ryan while also honoring your mother as he did. To me, it makes for a better story and tribute.

But, hey, regardless of what you end up doing, I hope you'll be happy with it. :)

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Arbie

You said you'd never tell!

. Thing is, you'll never bump into any of these assmunching clowns from the forums in real life so what do you care?

In reply to OP: People will always tell you to think twice when it comes to getting a name for a tattoo because it is such a personal thing, but then aren't all tattoos supposed to be personal and mean something to the person who has it? If Ryan had such a positive impact on your life and this is how you want to show your respect then that's fine and it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks. But on that note, maybe if you're asking for people to give their opinion it means you're not 100% sure and with a tattoo I think you should be certain, without a doubt, that you want it. If you do get it done, make sure you post up a pic. =]

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By zeforgotten

@arbie said:

@zeforgotten said:
. Thing is, you'll never bump into any of these assmunching clowns from the forums in real life so what do you care?

In reply to OP: People will always tell you to think twice when it comes to getting a name for a tattoo because it is such a personal thing, but then aren't all tattoos supposed to be personal and mean something to the person who has it? If Ryan had such a positive impact on your life and this is how you want to show your respect then that's fine and it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks. But on that note, maybe if you're asking for people to give their opinion it means you're not 100% sure and with a tattoo I think you should be certain, without a doubt, that you want it. If you do get it done, make sure you post up a pic. =]

I said I would tell everyone, you never listen.

And the rest of the stuff you wrote out is exactly what a tattoo is about.
Doesn't matter what you get on your body, the only thing that matters is the why. The story behind it.
I know a chick who has a "Connect the dots" puzzle on her back. If people ask her what it's about she gives them something to draw with and while they're connecting the dots she tells her story about how much she loved her father. And when they're done it's a fantastic looking portrait of her father and her.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#110  Edited By s-a-n-JR

I wouldn't get that tattoo, but that's just me. Like others have said, a better, less awkward way of honouring Ryan through a tattoo would be by getting his mom tattoo. And if not your mom, then get a binary tattoo of someone else that's personally close to you. Two birds, one stone, and people will get it.

Anyway, that's my advice...And remember, think long and hard about it. I can't stress that enough. Ask yourself if you'd still appreciate the tattoo several years down the road and won't regret it. In fact, wait a few months. If you still really want it by then, then go for it.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get one that says:

"Those hard swings."

01010100 01101000 01101111 01110011 01100101 00100000 01101000 01100001 01110010 01100100 00100000 01110011 01110111 01101001 01101110 01100111 01110011 00101110

He loved saying that, the little rascal. Oh, Ryan.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbie said:

@zeforgotten said:

I said I would tell everyone, you never listen.

And the rest of the stuff you wrote out is exactly what a tattoo is about.

Doesn't matte what you get on your body, the only thing that matters is the why. The story behind it.

I know a chick who has a "Connect the dots" puzzle on her back. If people ask her what it's about she gives them something to draw with and while they're connecting the dots she tells her story about how much she loved her father. And when they're done it's a fantastic looking portrait of her father and her.

Oh shit, now that's a tattoo. Hey, OP. You should get a tattoo like that! :D

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#113  Edited By kagato

Forget all the people telling you how bad tattoos are or how they are forever, if you are getting one you already understand that, its kind of the point. If you feel strongly enough about it then go ahead, i dont know that Ryan would be all that bothered myself, he would probably tell you its dumb but go ahead if you want it.

_Nuno_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By _Nuno_

I think it's ok. If someone asks, you can just tell then it's the name of a friend who past away. No need for deeper explanations if you don't feel like it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I don't think it's a good idea to get Ryans name tattoo'd on your arm. I'm no assmunching clown but I just think there are better ways to honor him than that. He had mom tattoo'd on his arm, the woman that gave birth to him, you'll have Ryan on yours, the guy who played and talked about video games on a website. Between those two choices one of them will lose significance over time.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#116  Edited By winsord

@bones8677 said:

Please keep in mind, I've heard that straight lines for a tattoo are not a great idea. Because when you are older those lines have bulged an warped with the skin. So what are nice and crisp lines now, will be blotches in 20 years.

By no means am I some tattoo expert, but I'm almost certain this is more about extremely thin lines. The most minor skin change would become apparent in a free-standing thin line, but the design here is rather bold and thick, so I wouldn't think it would be very noticeable.

@fattony12000 said:

Get one that says:

"Those hard swings."

01010100 01101000 01101111 01110011 01100101 00100000 01101000 01100001 01110010 01100100 00100000 01110011 01110111 01101001 01101110 01100111 01110011 00101110

He loved saying that, the little rascal. Oh, Ryan.

At that length, it'd be best to shorten it down by getting it in hex: "54:68:6f:73:65:20:68:61:72:64:20:73:77:69:6e:67:73:2e", you probably start to lose the point in tetrasexagesimal though: "FQ0G85mUQGg".

Personally, I'd wait at least a few months first to gauge, to some extent, your certainty in the design. I'd also consider getting it in the same style, but to a very significant person/word in your life, as many have suggested here. Maybe Ryan is that person for you, and I won't try to convince you otherwise, but again I'd say to give it a few months to make sure first; the wounds are still relatively fresh here, as it's only been a couple of weeks. It's pointless to say he's "just a guy that played video games on a website", because he could have had a much deeper impact on your life for other reasons, we don't know. I can't imagine explaining the meaning behind a tattoo would never be a concern of mine either, but I don't have any so I can't say for sure I suppose. I also can't say how long is long enough for you to know. Even though I said personally I'd sit on it for at least a few months, I'd imagine people with other tattoos would have a better sense for how long they'd need to wait. Even if you don't have other tattoos, you know you better than anyone else does. The only thing that worries me is you ended, "surely this is a good idea" with a question mark, not a period, and that says to me you should give it a little time.

I'm of the mindset that unless you get something really dumb(usually extremely generic or meaningless to you) or you have it done in a dumb place(like the inside of your bottom lip or something), then there shouldn't be much to regret. The funniest/saddest posts in this thread are the ones where people are effectively saying, "tattoos are too mainstream now bro, don't get one 'cuz they're no longer rebellious and cool". You should know you the best, and you should know what you need to do to make sure if you're really serious about this or not.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By zenmastah

I dont get why so many ppl are telling him to think about it, his skin, his moneys ( i assume), why on earth would he think what other ppl have to say about what he has tattooed on him?

If thats what youd like to do OP, go for it.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

If I ever met you, and asked, what does that tattoo mean? I would buy you a beer and few other things.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While Ryan's death impacted all of us, some of us (me included) very deeply, in ten years you will not think about Ryan Thomas Davis at all unless you are specifically reminded of him. A few years ago, two close friends suggested we three get our first initials tattooed on our shoulders. The three of use haven't seen or talked with each other in the years that passed since.

Skin is the largest organ of the human body and your only barrier to disease. I'm very glad I passed through the body modification stage unscathed. But when it comes down to it, it is your skin.

I dont get why so many ppl are telling him to think about it, his skin, his moneys ( i assume), why on earth would he think what other ppl have to say about what he has tattooed on him?

If thats what youd like to do OP, go for it.

Because he or she is specifically soliciting our opinions about it.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Get "BALLER TIME" tattooed on your eyelids, so that every night when you go to sleep, it'll be baller time.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

Awkward....

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks great, you only live once.

I don't get why some people think it's a bad idea to get game tattoos or stuff like this, when you think about it, every possible tattoo is just a thing that either inspired you, looks nice, or influenced you in some way or another.

This is all of the above

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Klei

I'm sure that in 32 years, when no one will remember who was Ryan Davis and what Giantbomb was, you'll be proud to tell the story of your favorite video game reviewer.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Sooty

I don't think Ryan himself would look favourably upon this. Think about it.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's Tuesday would also be a good choice.

Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reminds me of the time I carved Michael Jackson's face on my chest with a knife.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'd say wait about 6 months and if you're still into the idea after that time has passed then go for it. There's no time limit for getting the tattoo so you might as well wait a while and see if it's something that you really want.

spartica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What would Ryan say about this idea? -That's what I would use.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Do it. Fuck the h8ers. I had no idea Ryan's said "Mom". I thought it was some sick binary rip off of tribal tats just for kicks.

SARRISS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though it would be difficult to explain to people what it means and if you're not gay why its a guy's name that's on you, I'd go for it. Plus, how many people would think it means anything anyway, part of the reason Ryan got his.

Have you considered taswell instead?

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda weird since you didnt personally know the guy.

I mean, you're talking to a girl, she's like "whats your tattoo say?" and you're lke "Ryan" and she's like "oh you're gay?" then you'll be like "no, its the name of a dude from a website i like who died". Then she'll walk away.

Good thing people don't read binary and you could probably just say it means "mom" or that it means nothing because it just looks like a bunch of lines...

Thinking of that, who is going to look at the 1's and 0's that resemble geometirc shapes more than numbers and think right away "that's binary."

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I would think very hard before you go ahead with this decision

I would just say, if it makes you happy then do it. But you can still pay tribute to him, even if it doesn't necessarily have his name on it, perhaps another person's name or even your own?

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roborobb: guessing you didnt go through with it?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Ryan's worth it. Do it.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Remember, tattoos are forever. Make ABSOLUTELY SURE that you want this, and that it's correct. You don't want a binary typo in something permanently applied to your flesh.

In twenty years, he'll probably be upgrading to bionic arms anyway.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@levio: And we'll be reading threads about inscribing our augmentations.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#138  Edited By big_jon

Dude, that's pretty sweet.

To the people judging GET THE FUCK OVER YOURSELVES, offering an opinion is one thing, but belittling someone who wants to honour someone that they cared about in a meaningful way is just showing a gateway into your own insecurities.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Nekroskop

When I first read this thread, I was prepared for OP to put Ryans face on his arm or something, but this seems more appropriate. You should totally do it, hell, every GB fan should do it

SEKRIT KLUBB!

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Aye if it looks good to fit you then get it, just make sure it's free of typos & figure out where it should go. GLHB!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#141  Edited By jakob187

You know what I hate? Anti-tattoo people telling someone not to get a tattoo.

Get the tattoo if you want it. I think it's a rad idea.

A lot of you make me kind of sad. "Getting a tattoo for him would set a dangerously low precedent on what you'll do to your own body for people you've never met." So you're saying that I shouldn't get a tattoo of Johnny Cash? I fucking love Johnny Cash. If I want to get a tattoo of Johnny Cash, I'll goddamn well get a tattoo of Johnny Cash. Ryan Davis is the Johnny Cash of the video game journalism industry. I fucking loved that duder, and if I wanted to get a tattoo that somehow memorialized him, I'll fucking get it. There is no "dangerously low precedent on what you'll do to your own body" involved in ANY of that, and if anything, I find that insulting to Ryan overall.

There are also people that are saying "you should think very hard about this decision." Something like this isn't a fucking tramp stamp or some goddamn tribal. It's not some fuckwit-piddly-bullshit tattoo that you find people getting drunk, going to the parlor, and getting inked on them everyday. This has meaning to the individual person getting it. If you don't like it, tough titty said the kitty.

Last but not least, if you don't agree with tattoos, I would kindly ask you to go hang out in the corner over there with Leviticus while he combs his unrounded hair and untrimmed beard. I'm not saying you are all Christian Bible-thumpers looking to throw a fit because someone is marking their skin with the dead, but I am saying that Leviticus was a close-minded fuckstain like some others are being.

When it comes down to it, OP, do whatever the fuck you want to do. Go get a tattoo, go home afterwards, drop a line of coke, put on Hendrix, dance around your house naked, fuck a pillow. I don't care what you do. If you feel like it means something to you, do it.

Just don't infringe on the rights of others when you do it. = D

IceOrb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By IceOrb

Do it, you can join a secret club that Ryan unknowingly started and I unknowingly joined.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Left is the addition since, right is a few weeks after I got it and saw Ryan at pax 11. Backstory: wanted a mom tattoo but wanted it to be subtle. Hadn't seen many people with binary tattoo's at the time so ran with it. Showed up at PAX 11, met Ryan, asked him what that tattoo on his arm meant and proceeded to have my mind fucking blown.

Duder was amazing, hope you one day go through with it. If pain is what is stopping you right now I wouldn't think about it too much. It stings but once it starts its nothing. Just make sure you really want it :)

**EDIT**

I'll tell you this much though man, there's a chance that wherever you go to get it done the tattoo artist might tell you its too close together. I was really stretching it at 16 digits, 32 might be too scrunched together so don't get too upset if they turn you away. Skin ain't paper and drawing it on doesn't really give an accurate representation of what the final product could be. If they say no, mess with it to make it work until it fits :D

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By jillsandwich

That's really cool! I always thought Ryan's tattoo was just some cool chain design. A la Bioshock or whatever. Really stupid in retrospect, but I never thought about it much. But "mom" in binary is great.

And fuck it man, do that shit. It's really not a big deal, and Ryan was your friend. Not in the traditional sense of a friend, but one nonetheless. I'll probably get a similar tattoo when I turn 18.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting a tattoo of the name of a guy that you only met once a decade ago? I don't think that's such a good idea. I'm not saying you shouldn't get it, but really think about it. IS IT a good idea? While I could care less about these editor guys or whatever you call them, if they mean that much to you, then go ahead and do it. Also, do it because YOU want to, not to seek the approval of strangers. Hell, I have tattoos myself, so it'd be kind of hypocritical of me to tell you not to get it.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roborobb said:

Hey! Should I get this tattoo?

Background info:

Ryan Davis drastically impacted my life, and specifically my career. I have been following Ryan, Jeff and the rest of the gang for over a decade now, and it has shaped what I do on a day-to-day basis. I was lucky enough to meet Ryan and Vinny about four years ago, and meeting them made me realise my life ambition to write professionally.

So, as you could expect, Ryan's passing hit me hard.

I have no other tattoos. I don't think I would get more than one. I've always considered getting one, but always couldn't find a design I liked. Well, I always liked Ryan's design, and even before his passing thought of copying his binary armband concept.

In light of his death, I am going to get his tattoo design, in the exact same place where Ryan had it, but it now reads "Ryan":

Ryan's actual tattoo (it said 'mom').
Ryan's actual tattoo (it said 'mom').

it reads 'RYAN'
it reads 'RYAN'

This isn't the final design, I need to give it to a proper artist to make it look more accurate in terms of the box and line dimensions. It might be upside down in that picture (I'll make sure it's the right way up if I was to get it).

If someone had such a profound impact on my life, surely this is a good idea? I've had someone draw it out on my skin and it looks pretty awesome.

Any feedback would be wicked-awesome. Love you Giant Bomb xoxo

So have you gotten it yet man?

Riotisonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#147  Edited By Riotisonfire

I was going to get the same Binary "mom" tattoo that ryan has. However after we look at it further. The tattoo artist and I decided That it could not be done without looking like crap at one angle or when I move my arm. Ryan's arm is a lot more of a cylinder then mine. (No offence to ryan but he was a big dude). So it didn't work right. I still have the same design printed out and am trying to think of ideas for it to work on my arm. I would like an armband but if I need to have it go down my arm so be it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#148  Edited By csl316

I thought this was a poor idea because I imagined you'd get a portrait or something on your back.

But the binary thing is a cool tribute, and I always thought it looked bad ass. Because "binary" and "bad ass" belong in the same sentence.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

You should tattoo a beard onto your balls.