#1 Posted by Fallen189 (4941 posts) -

Hi everyone.

So here's the situation I'm finding myself in. With my computer, I use my Samsung TV as the main monitor. I connect a HDMI cable from my graphics card directly to the TV, and get my display and audio directly through my TV. When I need to use headphones, I would plug it into the TV headphone jack, and listen to audio that way, while still having the display, naturally.

All this so far is very simple. But the problem now is that I had an accident with my headphones last week or so. The headphone jack snapped off into the back of my TV, and I naturally can't put headphones into my TV anymore. I've tried every way to get it out, but just can't do it, I'm resigned to this fact. However, there's still obviously a headphone slot on my PC motherboard. Bearing in mind that it's connected to my TV through HDMI, is there any way I can have display run through that, and audio through my PC motherboard headphone jack?

I'm probably just being stupid, I'm sure there's a simple answer here, so if anyone can enlighten me, it'd be real swell. I'm running windows 8.

#2 Edited by audioBusting (1477 posts) -

Of course! I think the easiest way is to plug your headphone into your PC and set it as your default audio device (from the Sound settings on Control Panel) while the display is on HDMI. I never routed my audio through HDMI, so I might be wrong.

#3 Posted by chiablo (905 posts) -

Of course! I think the easiest way is to plug your headphone into your PC and set it as your default audio device (from the Sound settings on Control Panel) while the display is on HDMI. I never routed my audio through HDMI, so I might be wrong.

He'll most likely run into the same problem that I have. The HDMI audio appears as a separate audio device, so if you set your motherboard/audio card as the default, you won't get any audio over HDMI, and vice-versa. So there isn't a good way to have audio go to both the HDMI and/or headphone jack.

The solution I'm going with is a DVI to HDMI converter that injects audio into the HDMI: http://www.monoprice.com/Product/Index?p_id=8124. This way you can use audio from your sound card or motherboard (where the headphones are) for HDMI instead of using the video card's audio.

#4 Posted by Fallen189 (4941 posts) -

@chiablo said:
@audiobusting said:

He'll most likely run into the same problem that I have. The HDMI audio appears as a separate audio device, so if you set your motherboard/audio card as the default, you won't get any audio over HDMI, and vice-versa. So there isn't a good way to have audio go to both the HDMI and/or headphone jack.

The solution I'm going with is a DVI to HDMI converter that injects audio into the HDMI: http://www.monoprice.com/Product/Index?p_id=8124. This way you can use audio from your sound card or motherboard (where the headphones are) for HDMI instead of using the video card's audio.

That is the issue I'm having. I don't wanna have to buy a new TV, but at this rate :(

#5 Edited by audioBusting (1477 posts) -
@fallen189 said:

@chiablo said:
@audiobusting said:

That is the issue I'm having. I don't wanna have to buy a new TV, but at this rate :(

Oh, you mean the HDMI and headphone outputs are recognized as the same audio output on Windows? Yeah, using DVI as the video output would help in that case. That DVI + RCA stereo -> HDMI converter would be perfect (although you would need an extra RCA audio splitter cable).

#6 Edited by llamaegg (216 posts) -

Have you attempted to fish out the jack yet? I mean, the further in it is that harder it'll be, but it's a free solution (depending on what you have on hand that it) and let's you continue using the same setup you've been using. Thin tweezers, super glue on the end of a metal rod, even a drill/dremel could fish it ouf if you have a steady hand!