#1 Posted by Steadying (1410 posts) -

So this is probably a totally dumb thread, but I'm moving tomorrow and need advice on how to safely move my PC. Like, should I just stick it in the foam casing my case came in and shove it in the box, or does anyone else have a better idea? Thanks a lot!

#2 Posted by SexyToad (2759 posts) -

That sounds like what I would do.

#3 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

Put it somewhere where it can't move very much, that's the important thing.

#4 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1197 posts) -

The original packaging should be safe if your not going off road or some crazy stuff like that.

I order alot of crap from Amazon and keep the bubble wrap because I'm paranoid and encase the box in bubble wrap for extra protection. It's completely unnecessary but whatever. Eases my mind

#5 Edited by Steadying (1410 posts) -

Alright, thanks guys! And no, the new house is only like 10 minutes away and we're not going through weird terrain or anything like that thankfully.

#6 Posted by bybeach (4974 posts) -

So this is probably a totally dumb thread, but I'm moving tomorrow and need advice on how to safely move my PC. Like, should I just stick it in the foam casing my case came in and shove it in the box, or does anyone else have a better idea? Thanks a lot!

Excellent idea. The ideal to having to make shift if you do not still have the box and packing. I do feel you should protect your PC from scratches, bangs and stuff, depends on the move really. If you had to, buy a box at a box and packing store, and for that matter, some packing. There is a Boxing supply/UPS store for me a couple miles down the street..

#7 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Put it in the passenger seat and put his seat belt on

#8 Edited by Vuud (2035 posts) -

@xalienxgreyx said:

I was going to post this. If anyone is moving with you, make 'em sit in the back. My PC rides up front with me! Airbag on.

#9 Posted by ajamafalous (12121 posts) -

I moved mine at least 10-12 times when I was in college (moving back home during the summer/winter). I always put it back in the case's styrofoam and case's cardboard box, taped it up with packaging tape, and drove. Made sure to pack other things around it (boxes, pillows, etc.) so that it won't move or fall.

#10 Posted by Angouri (233 posts) -

So I took mine on a plane from NY to SF in checked luggage. Wrapped that thing tight in a giant comforter with pillows, and shipped it. Monitor too. Arrived perfectly.

but yeah. foam case. that's the way it should be done!

#11 Posted by Mcfart (1709 posts) -

If I don't have the original box/styrofoam, would any grocery store have boxes big enough for it?

#12 Edited by Turambar (6842 posts) -

Sticking it in the foam casing is exactly what I did. Drove it for about 800 miles, and worked fine on the other end. Just don't crash your car or something.

#13 Posted by crithon (3440 posts) -

hehe, my pc is broken from a move from Jersey to california. I kept it in a large box with tablet, light table, used a lot of bubble wrap, something is obviously broken even when I wrapped it 3 times everything with bubble wrap and wrote fragile on the box. The shaking for 10 days probably did that also. The USB ports were mostly damage, the 15 inch wacom tablet was broken. I intend to rebuild everything again once I get the money to afford it.

#14 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1723 posts) -

The one advice I would give is to remove the graphics card and, if you have a big passive cpu cooler, remove the cooler. Those are the only parts that might be damaged when the case gets moved. Other than that. Wrap the PC up in bubble-foil and you should be good to go.

#15 Edited by bennyboy (329 posts) -

I've always just laid it face down in my trunk and driven it to my new place and have not once had any problems. If I'm feeling especially ambitious I'll wrap it up in two bath towels. Of course if you have any of that liquid cooling business in there you might not want to do what I do.

#16 Posted by Jimbo (9930 posts) -

Lift with your knees.

#17 Edited by Reisz (1522 posts) -

Two options:

Or disassemble the components from the case and package individually.*

*This option is for crazy people.

#18 Posted by Blommer4 (198 posts) -

I moved 2 weeks ago. Just secure the PC somewhere in the car where it won't move and that's basically it. If you're a bit paranoid, you can allways make sure that the objects besides the PC is something soft. PCs are pretty sturdy, after all.

#19 Posted by RonGalaxy (3261 posts) -

Hire Jason Stathom (the Transporter) to take it where it needs to go. He'll make sure of its safety with sweet clothing based martial arts. His jacket is a WEAPON

#20 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

I have heard that putting some foam cushioning between the PC components can definitely help. But I would follow everyone suggestion and remove the graphics card.

#21 Edited by OurSin_360 (941 posts) -

I just moved a few months ago, took a 18 hour drive with my pc and monitors in the car with everything else. I just wrapped the tower in a bag and tapped it shut and packed it so the tower didn't move around a lot, and i padded the monitors with plastics to keep the screens from messing up and packed everything in the back seat so they wouldn't move.

Everything is fine

#22 Posted by tsutohiro (364 posts) -

Strap it to your back and ghost ride the whip.

#23 Posted by Bollard (5744 posts) -

I moved mine at least 10-12 times when I was in college (moving back home during the summer/winter). I always put it back in the case's styrofoam and case's cardboard box, taped it up with packaging tape, and drove. Made sure to pack other things around it (boxes, pillows, etc.) so that it won't move or fall.

Can confirm, I do the exact same thing. My PC is A-OK.

#24 Posted by sqrabbit (115 posts) -

I usually make sure the PC's motherboard is on the bottom with the cards pointing up. It gives you less of a chance that the cards come loose during travel, but you're only going 10 miles, so /shrug.

#25 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (534 posts) -

A few comforters and pillows will be plenty of padding if you keep it inside the car, and that's probably the most secure place. Strap it in!

#27 Posted by Steadying (1410 posts) -

I'm back! I just ended up stuffing it in the box with some blankets and it made it here fine.

#28 Edited by Tireyo (6451 posts) -

I'm back! I just ended up stuffing it in the box with some blankets and it made it here fine.

Yahoo! I think...

Sorry, just that I moved and packed stuff a couple of times... and there are still others that don't really know how to pack and I get a bit... wierd. Regardless, most stuff needs cushion.

#29 Edited by forkboy (1174 posts) -

So at one point I had to move, and I was going by train. And my PC at the time was dumb and heavy. And I was already holding pretty much every thing I had on me. So I basically posted my PC through DHL. Went to a local store for a large box, didn't have any foam so I just packed it tightly with game and DVD cases etc. It arrived totally OK. Wouldn't recommend it though, shit was pricey as hell.

#30 Posted by afabs515 (1258 posts) -

I'm about to head from Maryland to New York for my winter break. To move my PC, I wedge it between the backseat and passenger seat of my car, then move the passenger seat all the way back. My car has like a lip in the middle, so the PC is wedged in there nice and tight and can't move.

#31 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1627 posts) -

Original box is best, I'm glad other people totally keep the packaging like I do.

#32 Edited by wjb (1687 posts) -

Bubble wrap. Lots of it. Or the original box with styrofoam. That, too.

Or...hire the dudes in white gloves that handle the Stanley Cup. I'm sure they need work this early in the season.

#33 Posted by CornBREDX (5800 posts) -

I usually bring it in the car I'm getting a ride in. If all you have is a UHaul or something pack it in a box with a lot of padding or it's original box.

The monitor should have a couple of blankets over it and dont set it in front of something that could potentially spear into it.

The best way to go about moving in general is to remember that things will move so pack accordingly and place the stuff in a way that even if it does move nothing will be damaged.