#1 Edited by napninjanx (60 posts) -

Added this pic to Imgur and no interest. But adding it here might spark some awesome interest :D.

Best games most of them have a dark atmosphere and most of them run on a same engine some different. I miss those older games were the atmosphere was very darker and had the noise grain feeling. Everything is so HD now 720P 1080P, 4K. But the older games will remain in our memories forever. Plus I made that photo :D. Also When ever I see pictures of video games on Google it brings back awesome memories nostalgia memories I say :D.

Well adding more info now, I mean playing these games bring back allot of amazing memories to me, I did not mean them as older as in old old, I meant as in classics, they are good classic games to me even I love the older ones from the first generation era.

Just roaming around and experiencing the graphics are amazing, I just love the grain, noise, dark feeling of the game. Manhunt, GTA 3, have a dark graphics feel like. Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell, The Great Escape is based on stealth and also have almost the same graphics so on.

#2 Posted by SongWriter1987 (123 posts) -

Looks like you are a fan of ps2 era rockstar products.

#3 Posted by Tom_omb (349 posts) -

There was something to be said for earlier 3D games and their less sophisticated story telling that left more to the imagination. I think about the mood of my first play through of OOT often. I entered Kakariko village, for the first time, just as the sun was setting and there was a golden haze as I explored what that town had to offer. Nostalgia filter need not to be applied. I also think about how understated the story between the carpenter and his son was. The cawing of the crows at night. That game certainly had atmosphere.

#4 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

No offense but...

"Back in my day!!!"

#5 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

I'm not with ya.

#6 Posted by LikeaSsur (1497 posts) -

I'm willing to bet your nostalgia is replacing "technical limitations" with "atmosphere." Modern games have more atmosphere than you're admitting.

#7 Posted by afabs515 (1015 posts) -

I'm willing to bet your nostalgia is replacing "technical limitations" with "atmosphere." Modern games have more atmosphere than you're admitting.

This is what I thought when I saw this post. It's great that you really like those older games, and I agree that many of those games are timeless classics. But modern games definitely have tons of atmosphere. Bioshock and Dark Souls are two examples which come to my mind immediately.

#8 Posted by rethla (427 posts) -

Agreed, without these technical limitations we can fully experience the atmosphere of extensive tutorials, casual gameplay and microtransactions.

#9 Posted by cloudnineboya (774 posts) -

the only one i will agree with is max payne. i don't think putting manhunt and the warriors proves your point this is more of a nostalgia thing, modern games are as dark and full of atmosphere as older games

#10 Posted by Veektarius (4645 posts) -
#11 Edited by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

I think it isn't actually nostalgia per-say that's drawing that feeling but your creativity itself screwing you over. You see, when features of an object (in this case the world in a game) are limited, people fill in the gaps. When the features are given, people take these as being the truth. Like how in science you take observations as fact (within the region of uncertainty of it occuring) and then fill in the gaps that link the observations in a logical way. Except with features you can be creative and make the object you see as pleasing to you as you wanted it to be (basically making up what you want to be true that aligns with what you are given - this is not how science works... or at least not how it should be used!). When you play games with less features given, then the features you make up will undoubtedly be more pleasing to you than the ones given to you in a more detailed game (as they are the results of thoughts and aspirations for the features by designers; not you). Hence, you look at older games and think they have a better atmosphere, something that pulls you in more - all because your making up more the distince between what is depicted and what you believe it shows (so you're more inclined to like what you belive it shows).

I second reading of the comments (to check I wasn't missing something) I have just explained what @tom_omb said: sorry about that (i.e. miss-reading your post thinking that you were saying a different point - see, I observed something that I wanted to see by filling the gaps between the lines than what was actually literally represented.

#12 Posted by SingingMenstrual (327 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

No offense but...

"Back in my day!!!"

...kids used to use peripherals with wires coming out of them.

#13 Edited by Brendan (7696 posts) -

I can't get on board with you on this one. There's definitely something to be said for the stark differences in old 2D games vs the kind of games we play today, but PS2 era games are for all intents and purposes the same games we play today only more limited by technology. The style of PS2 era games was still voice acting, cutscenes, cinematic angles and fully 3D worlds, it was just worse.

#14 Posted by The_Ruiner (1021 posts) -

You're just getting older. If I'd made that image it'd be a collection of PS1 and 16bit stuff. Welcome to aging.

#15 Posted by Marcsman (3126 posts) -

Out with the old, in with the new I say.

#16 Posted by Clonedzero (4095 posts) -

Nostalgia is a helluva drug!

#17 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

You are atmosphere.

#18 Posted by XenoLair (46 posts) -

I miss fallout 3 and nothing else. I can go back to old games any time I want. My Wii is ready to emulate everything Nintendo, my GOG and Steam accounts are full of PC oldies.

#19 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -
#20 Posted by wewantsthering (1553 posts) -

Their atmosphere*

#21 Edited by joshwent (2144 posts) -

So late PS2 era qualifies as older games now? You a baby, son!

their

#22 Posted by believer258 (11682 posts) -

Your older games aren't old enough.

#23 Posted by mosespippy (4051 posts) -

It seems my well thought out post didn't post even thought it said it did. :(

To summarize, I agree. The basic structure of those open world games allowed for lots of hidden objects and secrets which promoted exploration. The amount of resources spent on detailing modern worlds prevents resources being spent on making those secrets. There isn't a reason to explore these detailed worlds because they didn't put anything there for you to find.

There was also a silliness to them that is lost in today's self serious dramas. The loss of cheats in favour of achievements also destroys some of that fun toy like nature of older open world games. We won't see any more 100ft bunny hop or drive on water cheats and that's a big loss.

#24 Posted by Jimbo (9776 posts) -

I miss the older games and their not-being-storefronts.

#25 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5271 posts) -

I feel a little old if the Ps2 era is considered old now.

#26 Edited by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Remember when the PS2 wasn't considered old? Like, a couple years ago? Those were the days!

#27 Posted by GordanChoong (60 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

No offense but...

"Back in my day!!!"

...kids used to use peripherals with wires coming out of them.

... consoles were big and clunky, controllers were small and simple, games were featured in huge cartidges, accessories were extremely gimmicky and expensive, there was no such thing as online, and the graphics were even worse than drawings made by a 6 year old.

#28 Posted by Dr_Monocle (97 posts) -

Old games are still being made available digitally so it's not like this era has just up and left. Sure game design in general has moved on like anything does and it's just a case of liking what you grew up. There's nothing wrong with that. My first console was a SNES and I still play games from that era from time to time, but there is always room for new game design/ideas.

#29 Edited by fisk0 (3877 posts) -

I post this in pretty much every thread like this, but I really, really miss the early 90's games before texture mapping had become the standard, but after MCGA (a 256 color graphics mode on PC, often confused with VGA which actually only has 16 colors) had been established. Games during that era (circa 1991-94) did a lot of interesting things with shading, colored lightning and color gradients, while avoiding that really rough look of early low res texture work. Digital Image Design, Digital Integration and Simis were the absolute masters of this:

I think the last game to do this was A-10 Cuba!:

#30 Edited by Itwastuesday (939 posts) -

i, too, have nostalgia or low-poly models and crummy textures. (unironically)

i mean just look at these fucking guys

#32 Posted by pyromagnestir (4253 posts) -

Atmosphere?

#33 Edited by Zelyre (1132 posts) -

PS2 games are old? Man... I played each one of those titles at 1280x1024 when they came out.

About 20 years later, and I can still tell you that that's the cockpit of a TIE Advanced with all the power drawn out of the beam system.

AWE 32, baby. Don't give me none of that GUS crap.

#34 Posted by GordanChoong (60 posts) -

As I can recall people used to use dots, then pixels, then bits, then polygons, than 3D models, than realistic looking 3D models, then HD, now ultra HD. Man have the times changed when everything looked like a calculator to everything looking like a movie or TV show.

#35 Posted by fisk0 (3877 posts) -

As I can recall people used to use dots, then pixels, then bits, then polygons, than 3D models, than realistic looking 3D models, then HD, now ultra HD. Man have the times changed when everything looked like a calculator to everything looking like a movie or TV show.

I don't think bits is a rendering method. And "realistic looking 3D models" is and always have been a spectrum, where the top of the line have never been what looks real, but what looks real enough.

You also skipped past text only games, and if we're talking purely graphical games - vector graphics.

#36 Posted by AlecOfTheWest (275 posts) -

I'd argue atmosphere is one of the few things to have improved pretty much across the board in gaming.

#37 Edited by bgdiner (275 posts) -

Nah I definitely get where you're coming from, especially in regards to Rockstar PS2-era games. I've been going through those games on iOS recently--pretty good ports, in my opinion--and compared to the bland product that was GTA V, there's a stark contrast. I suppose with today's "AAA-or-indie" type mindset--not that Rockstar games in the 2000s weren't AAA, but today's AAA is noticeably different in scope--we're not going to see the type of atmosphere that we used to get in the "old days." Today's game worlds have to appeal to everyone to make the game production worthwhile, so good atmosphere might end up being the exception rather the rule.

#38 Posted by Slag (4075 posts) -

Back in my day we had to game with only 2 face buttons! Our VR only had two color!

Screens were dark and textures were muddy and we liked it!

Dude seriously, today is a million times better.

#39 Posted by Nasar7 (2610 posts) -

Looks like you are a fan of ps2 era rockstar products.

Who isn't?

#40 Posted by Tennmuerti (8014 posts) -
#41 Posted by believer258 (11682 posts) -

Not all of these things are directly related.

#42 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -

huh, that's not what I expected. Plus a lot of those PS2 graphics are still alive in most portable games today.

#43 Posted by Vrikk (888 posts) -

Stop creating useless topics.

#44 Edited by Devil240Z (3272 posts) -

@vrikk said:

Stop creating useless topics.

stop making useless posts...

Anyway I totally feel you OP. There is definitely something missing from modern games. I personally think that the tech going into games has gotten too advanced. Game companies are just chasing that next big advancement and not just making the best of what they have right now. I think its really hurting the way games are designed and built.

#45 Posted by gba1989 (13 posts) -

And speaking of Manhunt, they should be making a new one.

#46 Posted by Ravelle (1198 posts) -

@gba1989 said:

And speaking of Manhunt, they should be making a new one.

Manhunt had that Saw vibe which was great.

#47 Edited by falserelic (5334 posts) -

The ps2 gen was my favorite era. I had alot of good memories that replaced the bad memories. There was some great memories, but not too many, and then the sad memories were few and far between.

I remeber getting pissed off at the very last boss fight in this game. I was about to save the world from this giant alien, but after the first round with the creature. He fucking makes a doppelganger of your character and it was bullshit.

I'm abit more sadden that this was the last onimusha game, and it was also sad to see soki give his life to restore the world, but it was for the best.

Even though I know this game didn't sell too well. I still wanted a fucking OutBreak file 3.