I need a backpack or bag

djhicks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I need something to carry a small laptop, iPad, water bottles, 3DS, a pen, GoPro, and large DSLR. I can't find anything I like on Amazon and was wondering if anyone could suggest another place. This is for a school trip to Peru so we'll be walking a lot and visiting Machu Pichu. I'd like to have quick access to the DSLR and since it'll be hot I don't want to keep the strap on my neck. Thank you.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BabyChooChoo

If not Amazon, I would either buy directly from the manufacturer or at a physical store.

If you need specific bag recommendations, I've always loved Timbuk2, Targus, and Oakley bags. That said, you're obviously carrying a lot of electronics so personally I would eliminate Timbuk2. Nice bags, but I've never felt like if I dropped it that I wouldn't immediately break down in tears. Targus and Oakley on the other hand have, in my experience, thicker, more durable bags that I would feel much more comfortable loading up with electronics. Not sure about Oakley, but I do know Targus specializes in laptop bags and things like that so they may be your best bet out these particular 3. There's a shit ton of bag manufacturers out there though so, for all I know, there's probably something that would suit you much, much better. Those were just my personal recommendations.

panvixyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By panvixyl

Go full swank and get a leather satchel. I've got a red one from the Cambridge Satchel Company and it's been great to me for years.

EDIT: Oops, you'll be in Machu Pichu? Get a shitty pastic sling bag then - so you won't feel quite so bad when it gets stolen.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had a Timbuk2 backpack for several years and it's held up extremely well.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@panvixyl said:

Go full swank and get a leather satchel. I've got a red one from the Cambridge Satchel Company and it's been great to me for years.

EDIT: Oops, you'll be in Machu Pichu? Get a shitty pastic sling bag then - so you won't feel quite so bad when it gets stolen.

This.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Messenger bags seem to be spacy and fashionable for both sexes

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Believe it or not, my best pack is from Dell of all people. Shitty computers, fantastic backpack. Mind you, it's five years old, but it's still in terrific shape, is water proof, has extra padding on the inside for laptops and electronics, and has about a gazillion pounches and two large areas to store bigger stuff.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're willing to spend some cash than I recomend something like Mission Workshop. Super simple with tons of room when needed.

djhicks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jking47: @babychoochoo: @panvixyl: @ltsmash: @dgtlty: @t1000: @damisterchief: @sparky_buzzsaw: @blatantninja23: Thank you very much. I also asked the Tested forums and a dude suggested reading the "What's in your bag?" posts on The Verge. The first article I read lead me to the Kata brand that I had never heard of prior to this. They make quick access camera bags capable of holding extra stuff (laptops/pens/whatever), which is exactly what I was looking for. I thought I'd thank you guys and show you the bag I decided to purchase: Kata KT PL-3N1-25

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By ArtisanBreads

For real though, on a side note, make sure you consider securing your stuff as best you can. If you're traveling abroad you will be an easy target for theft.

Sounds like you are carrying a lot of valuable stuff... if I was you I would consider leaving some of that but it's obviously your choice. Just be prepared man. I know people say this and sometimes we shrug them off but basically everyone I know who went abroad has been a victim.

Maybe you have a safer situation but be safe and consider it.

djhicks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By djhicks1

@panvixyl: @t1000: @artisanbreads: Is Peru dangerous or are you just saying traveling outside the US in general? I mean, I'll be with a group of people.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@djhicks1 said:

@panvixyl: @t1000: @artisanbreads: Is Peru dangerous or are you just saying traveling outside the US in general? I mean, I'll be with a group of people.

I have no reference for Peru, but any area you are going as a tourist can be. And being with a group is good but it wouldn't prevent a pick pocket. These guys can be crafty.

I've just heard of people's cameras getting stolen out of their bags and stuff and the people didn't even notice until they went to find it. So it's something to consider for sure. Not sure how you would solve the issue with the back pack because someone could always get at it.

Like if I was going abroad I'd probably be out and about traveling light and I'd get one of these sorts of neck wallets http://www.rei.com/product/816280/rei-travel-neck-wallet#video-inner

You can let it hang under your shirt and you're safe from theft then.

Just be careful man and consider it when figuring out what you're bringing. Maybe there is a way to secure the compartments on the backpack?

panvixyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djhicks1: Traveling anywhere you're not familiar with can be risky. I live on a regular Florida beach and the amount of thefts against the tourists is skyhigh - so really, you're bringing too much. I'd leave the iPad and the 3DS at home. Bring a nice paperback or two instead! And be conscious of the humidity as well - electronics are ruined all the time in Florida so I can only imagine Peru would be far worse.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Example1013

I would like a picture of the bag so I know what to look for when I'm trying to steal it for reference in case you lose it and I find it and can return it to you.

djhicks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get a Gucci backpack

No Caption Provided

djhicks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yoshimitz707: Good call. I didn't even think about The Wirecutter recommending bags.