I need a new headphones got any recommendations?

• 63 results
rb_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rb_man

So I need some new headphones for PC gaming and I was thinking about getting these. Just because the old headphones I used had the same type of headband witch is very comfy.

I just wanted to know if anyone else could tell me if there are any better head sets out there for around the same price or up to $150.

Now please don't say you should spend $500 on some audiophile headphones I have shit ears and I don't want that. I just want a good headset with good sound, a good mic, that I can wear all day long, and make it so I can hear dudes behind me.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By AlexW00d

Sennheiser, Klipsch, Audio Technicha, Bose. Basically. Gaming headsets generally suck.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By defaulttag

Razer Carcharias is not bad. The upgrade to the Razer Megalodon gives you surround sound. the mic's quality is excellent too.

Legxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Legxend

Without a doubt pick up something by Sennheiser

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By wefwefasdf

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 555's and I love them to death. You should generally stay away from "gaming" branded headsets.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By weegieanawrench

I have a pair of JVC HA-M750's and I'm really happy with them. I paid about $100 for them, so if you're budgeting for something midrange, these are super comfortable and the sound is excellent.

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By spyder335

i was thinking of getting a set of turtle beach px5s

anyone tried them ?

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By UitDeToekomst

my advice is to not allow your roommate's feisty young beagle to chew through the cord of whatever (expensive fucking) brand you decide on. sorry if that doesn't help your situation, but it is a hard lesson to learn firsthand, and wanted to make sure you didn't learn it the way i did.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AlexW00d

@spyder335: Gaming headsets suck for audio quality.

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By spyder335

@AlexW00d said:

@spyder335: Gaming headsets suck for audio quality.

seems to be the consensus

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By artgarcrunkle

Gaming headsets sound like garbage. All the brand recommendations in the thread are fine except for Bose.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By IkariNoTekken

I was gifted a pair of those, but the console compatible version. They are okay.

If I'm playing PS3 or 360 its more comfy than wearing headphones over my Bluetooth/Xbox headset but as people have already stated, you won't get the greatest audio quality which is why when I don't need the microphone I opt to just use my Sennheiser 650's instead.

If your uses are limited to PC gaming then you'd probably be better of with some nice headphones and a standing desktop mic.

rb_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rb_man

Okay everyone is telling me to get Sennheisers but no one is telling me if there $100 model is better then there $150 model. Can anyone give me a good model that's not over $150.

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DopeToast
artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@rb_man: They have a couple $100 and a couple $150 models, what ones are you looking at?

rb_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rb_man

@artgarcrunkle: One of these I guess this and this

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@rb_man: I've owned the HD-515 headphones. They sound really good, are pretty comfortable and took about 7 years to get fubar under very heavy use.

I've never worn or listened to the HD-439 headphones but for closed headphones at the same price I'd bet the HD-280 pro phones (which I have used) are better. The only negative thing I can say about the 280's is they can sound underwhelming on some of devices if you don't use them with a headphone amp.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DystopiaX

Like people have been saying, don't get gaming headsets. Get a nice pair of headphones by Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Grado, etc., and if you need a mic for gaming buy a cheap 10-20 dollar one that works just as well.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By subject2change

Sennheisers HD555s, have had mine for over 3 years now; going on 4 in July. Get a clip on mic, if you plan to do any communicating; you can find them for about 10 bucks on Amazon.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GooieGreen

If you really want to get a gaming headset -I know that I'll get flamed for it- but the Astrogaming A30 is surprisingly good. But I agree with the claims that the Sennheiser HD555 is worth investing in. They are a much older model and I'm not a fan of the open design (I dislike audio bleeding out of my headphones), but it is in your price range, albeit a little above the $150 mark. Check through the current Sennheiser 400s that are on Amazon. There are a few good ones on there; I haven't tried them all out but the current models are really good; much richer and fuller sound compared to whatever Beats headphones they are hawking at your local Best Buy.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hot_Karl

I enjoy my SOL Republic Tracks HD Headphones, but it's not a gaming headset. So there's that.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Scrawnto

@DystopiaX said:

Like people have been saying, don't get gaming headsets. Get a nice pair of headphones by Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Grado, etc., and if you need a mic for gaming buy a cheap 10-20 dollar one that works just as well.

Definitely this. I'm a Grado guy myself, but Sennheiser and Audio Technica are also quite good. Bose is overpriced for what you get. The Beats headphones I've demoed were pretty bad.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mirado

@rb_man said:

Okay everyone is telling me to get Sennheisers but no one is telling me if there $100 model is better then there $150 model. Can anyone give me a good model that's not over $150.

A rule of thumb with any good brand: the more expensive stuff is better then the less expensive stuff in the same brand. Whether or not you think the increase in quality is worth the increase in price is entirely subjective.

Take it from the guy who owns $500 headphones; the jump from $50 to $100 is totally worth it. I'd even say the jump from $100 to $150 is significant enough to recommend spending the extra for a mainstream user like yourself, especially if you plan on hanging onto these for a good few years. Getting above that.....that's where it, like I said, really gets subjective.

Also keep in mind that the above only applies in the same brand; it's totally possible that the $70 pair from brand X is better (at least technically) then a $150 pair from brand Y. As long as you stick to the big names (Sennheiser, Grado, Audio Technica, Shure, etc) you can't really go wrong and I wouldn't sweat the details, especially since you claim to have "shit ears" and everything in your price range will sound pretty good to them.

(Although, if you really want more info/options, I can recommend something more specific.)

rb_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By rb_man

@Mirado: In truth what I wan't is a headset not $150 headphones and shit $5 mic and I want it for $100. But what I want most it that I can were them for 12 hours so they need to be vented over the ear and in truth have some thing like that webbing with the 2 steel cables like on the SteelSeries Siberia V2.

rb_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By rb_man
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DystopiaX

Trust me, you don't want to get SS headset, and this is coming from someone who wholeheartedly recommends their keyboards and mice. Go for the Sennheiser, the increase in durability+sound quality is worth it.

rb_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By rb_man

@DystopiaX: But can I wear them all day that's what I care about and that's what no one is saying any thing about

llamaegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By llamaegg

Yes, and a bunch of sets are able to be worn all day. Before upgrading up to my LCD-2's I use to use M-Audio Q40 all day with my computer (and away from my computer, which is the biggest perk about non-computer 'phones), and blew the sound and build quality out of the water of any "gaming" dedicated 'phones that I've tried.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By MachoFantastico

Bought some Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones this week, still haven't burnt them in but so far very impressed.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By stonyman65

I like the steel series siberia V2. Don't bother with the USB soundcard though, it sucks.

Talis12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Talis12

i got the Senheiser RS170 wireless.. great sound quality and recommended, but without microphone, so if you want one with mic you need to keep looking.. its in your price range though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ5zZv2GpPQ

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Karl_Boss

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD280s that I've been using for about 3 years and they're great.....I would highly recommend them.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mirado

@rb_man: Give up on headsets if you want any level of sound quality. I'd rather see you spend $100 on headphones and $50 on a mic then some messed up combination of the two. Fuck, I'd rather see you drop $100 on a mic and just $50 on the headphones, as they'll still be better then just about any headset.

I'd also contest that just about any headphones are going to feel poor after 12 hours of usage. Most good quality headphones are inherently comfortable and should stand up well to extended usage (avoid Grado, though), but you are talking half of a day. If 12 hour usage sessions are the norm, it's no wonder why you have "shit ears" and you may want to back down on that in the future.

rb_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By rb_man

@Mirado said:

@rb_man: If 12 hour usage sessions are the norm, it's no wonder why you have "shit ears" and you may want to back down on that in the future.

No what I do is put them on when I sit down at my computer even if I am not listening to stuff and just wear them all day. Just wearing them is a good way to muffle the sound of the street I live one.

Also by saying "shit ears" I was trying to say that when I was a kid I got sick and they got fucked up while trying not to give out that info.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mirado

@rb_man said:

@Mirado said:

@rb_man: If 12 hour usage sessions are the norm, it's no wonder why you have "shit ears" and you may want to back down on that in the future.

No what I do is put them on when I sit down at my computer even if I am not listening to stuff and just wear them all day. Just wearing them is a good way to muffle the sound of the street I live one.

Also by saying "shit ears" I was trying to say that when I was a kid I got sick and they got fucked up while trying not to give out that info.

Noted. My first point still holds; 'phones tend to get uncomfortable past half a dozen hours.

You could try something like IEMs, but that depends on how much you mind the feeling of earplugs as they are basically that. I personally find them to be far more comfortable as nothing is pressing on my ears, but it's all individual preference.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Azteck

This is the complete wrong venue but I never understood why every other PC gamer in the world seems to hate speakers and use only Headphones. Maybe it's because I listen to a lot of music but still.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#38  Edited By Mnemoidian

I got a pair of Astro A40's recently, I like them. Also got a Mixamp 5.8, but... I can't recommend that. Only been problems with it (seems like I'm getting a power surge through the Tx unit causing sound to go crazy in mic and headset), but the headphones on their own are good... but I've heard a lot of good things about Sennheiser as well.

@Azteck: *shrug* I use a mix - got a pair of pretty decent speakers for music and more casual games. But I like the more intimate audio experience you get from headphones.

Also, my neighbors don't like it when I play Dubstep using Speakers :D

rb_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By rb_man

@Mirado: The thing is my old Plantronics .audio 770 I could ware those for days because of the headband. Also I hate IEM's because they make my ears feel like there itchy after like 20 min.

rb_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By rb_man

@Azteck: For me it's the fact that to get any form of surround sound with speakers you need so much stuff to get up and going. Also you can still have out side sound mess every thing up like there is road works right out side of my house this very minute and I am having trouble hearing my speakers but if I use my shitty Iphone ear buds I can hear every thing fine.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By daiphyer

What is wrong with "Gaming" headsets? I own a Turtle Beach x31 and they are awesome. I don't feel like I am not hearing stuff that maybe I can hear in a pair of these. I mean look at that thing, 1,500$. Why is that so expensive?!

rb_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By rb_man

@Daiphyer: In truth that's how I feel and that's why I am now looking at Turtle Beach headphones. I just want some thing that is not shit but not so high end I know I will not be able to appreciate it. In truth all I want it some thing I can wear all day and make it so I can hear dudes behind me in games and that has a mic because I don't want to have to deal with 2 things. I mean come on I don't need the best top end headphones they would be a waste I listen to shit MP3's not FLAC's and 480p youtube videos and the most complex piece of sound software I use is windows mixer

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By daiphyer

@rb_man said:

@Daiphyer: In truth that's how I feel and that's why I am now looking at Turtle Beach headphones. I just want some thing that is not shit but not so high end I know I will not be able to appreciate it. In truth all I want it some thing I can wear all day and make it so I can hear dudes behind me in games and that has a mic because I don't want to have to deal with 2 things. I mean come on I don't need the best top end headphones they would be a waste I listen to shit MP3's not FLAC's and 480p youtube videos and the most complex piece of sound software I use is windows mixer

Then you'll want to get a pair of Turtle Beach. They are great for that. With the X31s I can even hear the enemies in the quick looks when the player fails to see them. They are great for situational awareness and have an awesome mic and are very comfortable.

I've had three Turtle Beaches, X11, PX21 and X31, and maybe except for the PX21 (I've heard all PX series are kind of indecent) the others were great. If you are buying for PC only, look into their PC catalog since sometimes with their wireless headphones you will need extra cables to hook it up with the PC.

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Wasara88

I use Sennheisers hd 595 headphones and they are magnificent. Steelseries and gaming headphones in general are overpriced shit.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@Daiphyer: Good false dichotomy troll, big ups.

rb_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By rb_man

Gaming headphones suck because there headsets not headphones. Witch is what I want but everyone in this post keeps telling me to get like $175 headphones witch is not want I want in truth I don't give a shit about sound as long as it is not shit I am happy I just want some thing mid range that's comfy with a mic.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@rb_man: Then go buy some shitty headphones you idiot. No one cares what you end up buying they're just trying to give you advice.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

I have a set of Astro A40s. I like them a lot, have used them all day on occasion with only a mild earache to show for it.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldve recommended my headphones but you said gaming headphones so now I dont know what you should do....

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Get some 5.1's Ive got Turtle Beach PX5. I dont evem use my surround sound setup anymore, great for watching movies too. They are wireless too, have bluetooth so I use them for podcasts when doing housework though my iPhone. Plus it has a seperate speaker built in for game chat so you can turn that down and up without affecting the main volume.

@spyder335: Yep I have my PC , Xbox and used to have my PS3 hooked up to them. Had them for a year now and still going great. Couldnt recomend them enough. Makes games so much more immersive with great surround. I was blown away when I first tried them out with NFS : Hot Pursuit, after giving that game a rest for a couple of months I ended up playing that game for 4 hours just to test them, I also seemed to get way better at Black Ops after getting them ( hear dudes trying to flank you)