• 53 results
#1 Posted by hangedtoaster (156 posts) -

As some of you might know I work a night shift, and it's getting kind of difficult to entertain myself using books and various podcasts, I've decided to jump into the tablet market and get one of these devices as a source of entertainment the two contenders that I've managed to narrow it down to are the Ipad and the upcoming windows surface. I've also come up with several arguments for either one which I shall list now. 

Ipad - The main point of this is that it's an apple product and while I'm by no means an apple fanboy I know that there products always work and generally work quite well. The other big selling point on this one is the already well established app marketplace. THere's already a treasure trove of sources of entertainment on that. 

Microsoft Surface - Now I'd consider myself a microsoft fanboy, I'm already well established into there eco system ( I own a windows phone 7 and every single computer in my house is running some form of windows plus an xbox) And with the upcoming surface support for the xbox dashboard ( I spend a lot of time gaming and watching movies on my 360) the surface hold's appeal in this fashion 

So I pose to you Giantbomb community, which one would you choose and why would you choose it?

#2 Posted by MB (12384 posts) -

Any reason why there aren't a number of Android tablets in the running? Asus Transformer Prime, Google Nexus 7?

#3 Posted by blueaniman93 (604 posts) -

I would say the Nexus 7 is your best bet, unless you truly don't want Android for some reason.

#4 Posted by hangedtoaster (156 posts) -

I'm super unfamiliar with any android product, not against having one though. I'll look into the nexus 7 though. Thanks!

#5 Edited by Zacagawea (1594 posts) -

Just wait for the Windows 8 tablets to come out, especially since you're invested in the MS ecosystem

#6 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

I also recommend the Nexus 7. It's 200 goddamn dollars for a great tab. Gluck!

#7 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Etch-a-Sketch

#8 Posted by MB (12384 posts) -

@hwy_61 said:

I also recommend the Nexus 7. It's 200 goddamn dollars for a great tab. Gluck!

I second this. I have one and love it - it's the perfect size. 10" is just too big for me, especially considering I already have a 13" MacBook Air.

#9 Posted by hangedtoaster (156 posts) -

For those of you who have it, what do you use your nexus 7 for? Just general web browsing? Or is it a pretty good device for watching movies and tv shows on it?

#10 Posted by MB (12384 posts) -

@hangedtoaster: I've used mine quite a bit for both web browsing and watching movies on Netflix and HBO Go. It's pretty much perfect for everything.

#11 Edited by gametrkr (70 posts) -

Nexus 7 should be in the running. Windows tablet/phone app ecosystems is poor, there are more entertaining/interesting/diverse apps/games on ANDROID/iOS platforms.

#12 Posted by CJduke (788 posts) -

Kindle fire. Its awesome for the price, only $200. If you like to use amazon/android products its a great deal. (assuming you don't need 3G)

#13 Posted by MB (12384 posts) -
@CJduke

Kindle fire. Its awesome for the price, only $200. If you like to use amazon/android products its a great deal. (assuming you don't need 3G)

That was the must-buy tablet before Nexus 7 was released. It beats kindle fire handily in essentially every category and at the same price.
#14 Posted by myketuna (1693 posts) -

I'd say hold off on the Nexus 7 until the Surface comes out. And then buy the Nexus 7 if the Surface isn't what you're looking for. Only reason I'm saying that is because you've said you're already invested into that ecosystem. That said, I don't know if that'll do you any good anyway because aren't the Surface tablets going to be running Windows 8? I don't know if Windows Phone 7 apps will even work on it, but again it's best to wait.

BUT if you can't wait, I'd get the Nexus 7. Seems like the best option.

#15 Posted by Zella (747 posts) -

It depends on the size you want, a Nexus 7 is perfect for a more compact tablet and is relatively cheap, however if price isn't an issue and you want a bigger tablet I would say the Asus Transformer Infinity is the best android tablet out there. Android's marketplace is growing really well and has tons of great apps out there. They are also far more customizable than either of the tablets you listed. I do consider myself a bit of a Google fanboy so there's some bias here. If you really like the idea of having all your stuff connected I would say the Surface is a better bet than the iPad. There keyboard that should be coming with the Surface too should help it out too, I have the keyboard dock with my Transformer Infinity and adds a lot to the tablet.

#16 Posted by bigsmoke77 (789 posts) -

If you where looking to be productive I would recommend the surface because its a like a hybrid tablet/laptop but because you will be using it more for entertainment I would go for the Nexus 7 or wait and see if apple revels an iPad mini. The smaller size and weight is really a big selling point. The tested guys have said that the iPad can be to big and clumsy to consume content with and feel comfortable holding on to a 11 inch tablet. Im pretty sure android is not radical or anything and you would get use to the OS in no time.

#17 Posted by StrainedEyes (1324 posts) -

@hangedtoaster said:

And with the upcoming surface support for the xbox dashboard ( I spend a lot of time gaming and watching movies on my 360) the surface hold's appeal in this fashion

All of that SmartGlass integration is coming to iPhone and iPad too.

#18 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

The iPad 2 will suit your needs and be awesome while doing it.

#19 Posted by Devil240Z (3355 posts) -

Nexus 7, its a great value. Good price, great hardware.

#20 Posted by Sin4profit (2931 posts) -

I'll just mention why id wait for Win8 Surface and maybe you can relate to some of it. I plan on getting the pro version specifically for the digitized pen, i've been waiting awhile for a tablet that had a pressure sensitive pen and using my hybrid touch laptop with the consumer review of Win8 on it i found the integration of Skydrive to be pretty pleasing as i would do my sketches on the laptop, save file to Skydrive, and open the file on my desktop as if it was all on the same drive.

It maybe possible to do these things with an android tablet if it has a pressure sensitive digitized pen (i'm not familiar with them enough to know) mixed with Dropbox, but seeing how well it all works on my hybrid laptop i'm fairly confident that the Surface will serve me well.

#21 Posted by Scrawnto (2446 posts) -

@gametrkr said:

Nexus 7 should be in the running. Windows tablet/phone app ecosystems is poor, there are more entertaining/interesting/diverse apps/games on ANDROID/iOS platforms.

Can you really make the "Windows tablet/phone app ecosystems is poor" argument when the Windows tablet he's considering isn't out yet?

Anyway, I have a 3rd gen iPad (WiFi only, 16gb). It's pretty nice. The screen is gorgeous. It's very limited as a computing device, but it works well for books, podcasts, twitter, web surfing, and Netflix. I'm still planning on getting the Surface tablet with the digitizer pen and the full version of Windows to replace my janky five-year-old laptop. I need something that's portable that I can do actual work on, and an iPad isn't it. Being able to take notes and draw diagrams and then upload them to my workstation would be fantastic, but the iPad's onscreen keyboard and finger painting-ish drawing capabilities don't cut the mustard for that sort of use.

In short, both have their uses. The iPad is probably going to be the better option for entertainment in the short run, though.

#22 Edited by MachoFantastico (4682 posts) -

Had a Nexus 7 for about two weeks now and speak very highly of it, especially at it's price. Have the 8GB version myself, but if your working nights you might want to consider the bigger version if a local wifi spot isn't available, use the cloud services a lot for the extra space. But if your looking to put your toe into the tablet market the Nexus 7 is the best choice in my opinion, it's exactly why I bought one. Didn't like the iPad a great deal, and it's overly expensive from my perspective (I wasn't sure how much I'd use one). Not the best build quality when compared to an iPad but hell of a lot cheaper and does the job well. Android as improved to, impressed with how much better it runs to my past experiences of it.

That's my recommendation anyway, especially if your just looking for an entry point. That said, isn't Apple set to announce a seven inch tablet real soon? Might be worth waiting and see what they have if your invested in iOS.

#23 Posted by Bollard (5530 posts) -

I'mma be getting a Surface as long as the pricing isn't too crazy. First tablet I've ever even remotely cared about cause it has the same functionality of a laptop. That keyboard case.

#24 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (733 posts) -

Throwing another vote in for the Nexus 7, it's an awesome tablet, and the price is extremely reasonable for what you get.

#25 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Here have some ritalin

#26 Posted by gametrkr (70 posts) -

@Scrawnto: Tablets and phones generally share an ecosystem. Take a look at the Windows Phone Marketplace.

#27 Posted by Scrawnto (2446 posts) -

@gametrkr said:

@Scrawnto: Tablets and phones generally share an ecosystem. Take a look at the Windows Phone Marketplace.

Windows 8 metro-type apps are not made in the same way as phone apps, and Windows 8 will not run the apps on the Windows Phone Marketplace. This isn't an apples-to-apples comparison to iOS or Android, where essentially the same OS runs on the phone and tablet.

#28 Posted by Tireyo (6413 posts) -

They announced a new kindle family on Amazon today.

#29 Posted by SSully (4185 posts) -

I say an ipad or a nexus 7. If you go for a surface I would wait, its never smart to be an early adopter, especially for a company's first tablet.

#30 Posted by AlexW00d (6274 posts) -

@Tireyo643 said:

And none of the new tablets are nearly as good as the Nexus 7, but are the same price/more expensive. Seems a poor move on Amazon's part.

#31 Edited by Butano (1738 posts) -

I have the first-gen Asus Transformer w/ the keyboard dock. It's been good for the year I've had it, but I will definitely be upgrading to the Surface Pro or Lenovo Yoga. The Transformer is nice for some things, but in the end, if you want a good marketplace, the iPad would be the one to go to. For schoolwork the Transformer has been swell for note taking w/ Evernote+Skitch. Anything else I just bring out my laptop or switch to my desktop. 

@Scrawnto said:

@gametrkr said:

Windows 8 metro-type apps are not made in the same way as phone apps, and Windows 8 will not run the apps on the Windows Phone Marketplace. This isn't an apples-to-apples comparison to iOS or Android, where essentially the same OS runs on the phone and tablet.

I believe with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 from the recent phone development summit last Spring was that they're built using the same kernel, so porting WP8 apps to W8 was only a few lines of code using the "modern" interface. Can't find the video where they demonstrated that, but I'm pretty sure they were shared, much like the iPhone/iPad marketplace is, where some is built specifically for phones and others for tablets.
#32 Posted by TheHBK (5483 posts) -

Samsung Ativ Tab. This thing looks sick.

#33 Posted by Kidavenger (3546 posts) -

I have a Samsung Tab 2 and I think it's great; does everything I want it to and the speakers are great, something I have found lacking in every other other tablet I've tried, the only bad thing about it is the camera, it's absolutely terrible. I would have preferred a Surface but I didn't want to wait that long but seeing how it's only a month away now I'd wait for a Surface.

#34 Posted by Intro (1207 posts) -

I have an iPad 2 and really like it (got it for free, wouldn't spend money on it). My dad just got the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (also for free, no we don't steal lol) and I like it more than my iPad. Why? I can't sync mkv, avi or many other types of files without converting them or using a desktop>iPad video player app. The Samsung Tablet is just simple and it works fine (to be fair, I haven't used it a ton), there's no software needed and I love that because I can't stand using iTunes.

#35 Posted by HairyMike87 (1016 posts) -

@hangedtoaster: I would say your best bet is to either get an iPad or Google Nexus 7. The new Kindle Fire HD's look nice also. I would also wait to see if an iPad mini comes out and makes it more affordable.

#36 Posted by bartok (2480 posts) -

I need a Krang

#37 Posted by TruthTellah (9031 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@Tireyo643 said:

And none of the new tablets are nearly as good as the Nexus 7, but are the same price/more expensive. Seems a poor move on Amazon's part.

What do you mean? The Kindle Fire HD at $199 is spec-wise better than the Nexus 7, and it comes supported by Amazon's media environment. I agree with you that the Nexus 7 is cool(do you have one?), but the new Kindle Fire HD is a real challenger to it.

The Nexus 7 was a clear winner against the Kindle Fire, but the new Kindle Fire HD feels like a step up from the Nexus 7, even if it's not light years better.

#38 Edited by AlexW00d (6274 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

@AlexW00d said:

@Tireyo643 said:

What do you mean? The Kindle Fire HD at $199 is spec-wise better than the Nexus 7, and it comes supported by Amazon's media environment. I agree with you that the Nexus 7 is cool(do you have one?), but the new Kindle Fire HD is a real challenger to it.

The Nexus 7 was a clear winner against the Kindle Fire, but the new Kindle Fire HD feels like a step up from the Nexus 7, even if it's not light years better.

How does a 1.2ghz dual core processor even compare to a 1.3ghz quadcore? The Tegra 3 is the best SoC on the market currently, in both cpu and gpu capabilities. The page for it fails to even mention how much memory it has, so I assume it's 1GB just like the Nexus. And the screens are identical.

And the Nexus has both everything the 'Amazon media environment' has, plus also everything the Google 'media environment' has.

So both spec-wise, and content wise, the Nexus is much better.

#39 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

Nexus 7 is awesome. Its like 200 bux so you don't have to be all precious with it as you would with a 500 Ipad or whatever. It works fine. Its easily portable for your needs in terms of bringing it into and out of work.

Multitasking is awesome. I can listen to podcasts on Doggcatcher and read stuff on flipboard/reader. The speakers are not great, and you would need to use headphones for sure. The Surface looks more like a laptop replacement than a tablet to me, and should be expensive, though who knows.

#40 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

I actually really like the idea of the Windows Surface Pro- the tablet that has full Windows 8 built into it. I'm going to hold off buying a tablet until I see the final specs at that thing, because it's got the potential to be awesome.

#41 Posted by CheapPoison (731 posts) -

The one that isn't apple.

#42 Posted by GS_Dan (1403 posts) -

Kindle Fire HD should probably be in the running now if you live in the USA.

#43 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

The only one that matters with apps, the iPad.

#44 Edited by gametrkr (70 posts) -

@Scrawnto: Your correct, that is why I said "generally share", granted I could have been more verbose. The poor developers support for Windows 7 phone marketplace is an indicator. The issues with SDK rollout etc, the fragmentation between phone and surface apps.

VS

Established ANDROID, iOS App/media marketplace. Does the op want something now to eliminate his boredom, or does he want to wait for a platform to develop and mature.

#45 Posted by handlas (2679 posts) -

Kobo tablet.

You're welcome.

#46 Posted by Burzmali (452 posts) -

I'd go with the Nexus 7. I have an iPad. If I didn't need it for development, I'd have a Nexus 7 instead. Cheaper, more portable, and Android is better than iOS as far as flexibility is concerned. If you still don't want the Nexus, I'd really go with an iPad, though. The surface just doesn't look very good by comparison.

#47 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Two options: Nexus 7 or iPad.

I wouldn't even consider Windows tablets until they have been out for around a year, as the app support won't be there. That includes the Surface as I don't believe using fully fledged Windows apps on a tablet with a makeshift keyboard/trackpad sounds too great an experience.

@Burzmali said:

I'd go with the Nexus 7. I have an iPad. If I didn't need it for development, I'd have a Nexus 7 instead. Cheaper, more portable, and Android is better than iOS as far as flexibility is concerned. If you still don't want the Nexus, I'd really go with an iPad, though. The surface just doesn't look very good by comparison.

Android is a better OS but the app support for tablets is absolutely awful compared to iPad. At least it has a good web browser now though, unlike last year with that POS Honeycomb.

#48 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

iPad. There might not be as much customization with it, but let's be honest, it has everything that matters. I had Android, and got sick of it quick. The fragmentation is just kind of disgusting to me. There are still people walking around using FroYo. I feel like Android developers treat their customers like second class citizens when it comes to updates. I mean, there are people basically standing in line, waiting for Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich, and now Jelly Bean is out, and maybe seven or eight devices support it.

If you absolutely must get Android, at least get the Nexus 7 from Google. At least that way you know they'll be supported with the latest OS and updates.

#49 Posted by huntad (1939 posts) -

Either that Windows Tablet (since you're already invested in their ecosystem) or the Nexus 7.

#50 Posted by LTSmash (624 posts) -

The Nexus 7 is my first experience with Android and so far I've been very happy with it.