#1 Edited by supermonkey122 (817 posts) -

About a year and a half ago, my parents got divorced (im 16). A few months later my mom went to a rehab center in Florida for about 2 months because of drinking problems. She has been sober since she got back. Today she told me she didn't feel well and I asked if she'd been drinking and she said yes. She hugged me and said she was so sorry and she went to bed. I promised not to tell anybody if she promised me to never drink again. I am very worried that she might drink again. What should I do? This time was alot better than other times. The time that she was forced to go to rehab she fell down the stairs and got hurt a little bit. I really need some advice from the nice duders here at GiantBomb because if I tell anyone else, she has the risk of going to rehab again.

#2 Posted by rflx (576 posts) -

So you promised not to tell anybody, and went straight on to the internet to post a forum topic about it?

#3 Posted by supermonkey122 (817 posts) -

@rflx said:

So you promised not to tell anybody, and went straight on to the internet to post a forum topic about it?

I ment not tell anyone I know in real life

#4 Posted by InfamousBIG (3201 posts) -

She's gonna drink again, ya know?

#5 Posted by supermonkey122 (817 posts) -

@InfamousBIG said:

She's gonna drink again, ya know?

I know, but I hope it doesn't become a regular thing again

#6 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@InfamousBIG said:

She's gonna drink again, ya know?

This, you need to tell someone.

#7 Posted by DeeGee (2126 posts) -

I know it sounds terrible, but you need to tell someone. I mean, in real life. You're only 16, that's far too young to handle this kind of situation, especially emotionally.

#8 Posted by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

@supermonkey122 said:

@InfamousBIG said:

She's gonna drink again, ya know?

I know, but I hope it doesn't become a regular thing again

I don't think it matter whether it becomes a regular thing. Clearly she shouldn't be drinking, so you need to tell someone for both your sake.

#9 Posted by Random88 (284 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

I know it sounds terrible, but you need to tell someone. I mean, in real life. You're only 16, that's far too young to handle this kind of situation, especially emotionally.

Agreed. Tell someone

#10 Posted by EuanDewar (4938 posts) -

So, are you telling me Some advice is needed?

#11 Posted by HS21 (2682 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

So, are you telling me Some advice is needed?

I was under the impression that no advice was needed?

#12 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

If her drinking got so bad, she had to go to a rehab center, you need to adopt a zero tolerance policy on this and tell someone, as others have said. There is a world of difference between an alcoholic and someone just gets drunk a lot. Alcoholics are addicts like anyone else addicted to any other drug and the only hope they have of staying clean is to never drink, ever.

#13 Edited by DougQuaid (1274 posts) -

I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but dude.. this a video game website.

You might find a few people here who genuinely want to help and will give advice, but a large majority of people will just want to be dicks for the hell of it, no matter what the situation. Find someone you can confide with in real life. Someone you know and can trust.

#14 Posted by EuanDewar (4938 posts) -

@HS21 said:

@EuanDewar said:

So, are you telling me Some advice is needed?

I was under the impression that no advice was needed?

I mean, that's not the impression I got from the OTPM.

Sorry, I mean the OP.

#15 Posted by Aetheldod (3586 posts) -

Tell someone ....

#16 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

@HS21 said:

@EuanDewar said:

So, are you telling me Some advice is needed?

I was under the impression that no advice was needed?

I mean, that's not the impression I got from the OTPM.

Sorry, I mean the OP.

Never lose the advice.

#17 Posted by arab_prince (2053 posts) -

@fwylo said:

@EuanDewar said:

@HS21 said:

@EuanDewar said:

So, are you telling me Some advice is needed?

I was under the impression that no advice was needed?

I mean, that's not the impression I got from the OTPM.

Sorry, I mean the OP.

Never lose the advice.

Advice confirmed.

#18 Posted by supermonkey122 (817 posts) -

Ok, I will tell someone. That doesn't mean that i will post the results on here though (not that anyone expected me to.)

#19 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

@DougQuaid said:

I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but dude.. this a video game website.

You might find a few people here who genuinely want to help and will give advice, but a large majority of people will just want to be dicks for the hell of it, no matter what the situation. Find someone you can confide with in real life. Someone you know and can trust.

No, even worse than that, these fuckin boneheads will try to give him advice as if it's real advice. Half the people who use videogame forums are complete social inepts, or frequently even younger than this guy. We're not wise, we're not smart, we don't have all the facts and don't know who you're talking about at all.

The only responsible thing I can say here is to ask a real life person. Cos this is real life person shit.

#20 Posted by Sweep (8863 posts) -

@arab_prince said:

@fwylo said:

@EuanDewar said:

@HS21 said:

@EuanDewar said:

So, are you telling me Some advice is needed?

I was under the impression that no advice was needed?

I mean, that's not the impression I got from the OTPM.

Sorry, I mean the OP.

Never lose the advice.

Advice confirmed.

Alright, you had your fun. Stop derailing the thread.

Moderator
#21 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Don't do this alone.
 
Good luck!

#22 Posted by supermonkey122 (817 posts) -

@I_smell said:

@DougQuaid said:

I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but dude.. this a video game website.

You might find a few people here who genuinely want to help and will give advice, but a large majority of people will just want to be dicks for the hell of it, no matter what the situation. Find someone you can confide with in real life. Someone you know and can trust.

No, even worse than that, these fuckin boneheads will try to give him advice as if it's real advice. Half the people who use videogame forums are complete social inepts, or frequently even younger than this guy. We're not wise, we're not smart, we don't have all the facts and don't know who you're talking about at all.

The only responsible thing I can say here is to ask a real life person. Cos this is real life person shit.

That's the reason why I posted it on this site. Out of all the sites I have an account on, you guys seem like the nicest community, and the one that will make fun of me the least.

#23 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

@supermonkey122 said:

@InfamousBIG said:

She's gonna drink again, ya know?

I know, but I hope it doesn't become a regular thing again

You don't let ex-alcoholics drink again its as simple as that.

#24 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

Tell someone. You'll regret not action if she drinks and ends up doing something worse than falling down the stairs.

#25 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

If she has already started drinking after only a few months out of rehab, she will drink again.

#26 Posted by HS21 (2682 posts) -

@Sweep said:

@arab_prince said:

@fwylo said:

@EuanDewar said:

@HS21 said:

@EuanDewar said:

So, are you telling me Some advice is needed?

I was under the impression that no advice was needed?

I mean, that's not the impression I got from the OTPM.

Sorry, I mean the OP.

Never lose the advice.

Advice confirmed.

Alright, you had your fun. Stop derailing the thread.

Bro, the word 'advice' is in the title. The proof is in the pudding. That's just the way this cookie is crumbling. Batter up an apology, I'll be here to catch it. Its the season(ing) of forgiveness is it not?

#27 Posted by Burzmali (452 posts) -

Maybe she needs to "fall down the stairs" again?

#28 Posted by ScreamingFist (364 posts) -

@I_smell said:

The only responsible thing I can say here is to ask a real life person. Cos this is real life person shit.

Best advice in this thread.

#29 Posted by Spoonman671 (4641 posts) -

If she went to rehab then she should have a sponsor or something.  They should know she's been drinking.  Does she go to AA meetings or anything?

#30 Posted by thevigilanteoflove (504 posts) -

Talk to someone in real life that you can trust. A situation this serious calls for someone to step in that can help. Just talk it out with someone.

#31 Posted by Rudyftw (554 posts) -

I know what you're going through. I went through something similar with my parents. If I were you, i'd just cut the dead weight and move out when your 18. If your mom is anything like my mom, you're better off on your own... Seriously kid... Addicts only care about one thing and as long as your mom is drinking that one thing isn't you. All she will do is hold you back and ruin your life. I know I sound harsh, but it's the truth...

#32 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

if that shit happens again then get some help.

#33 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I think 'getting your mother help she needs' trumps 'keeping a secret' in this scenario.

#34 Posted by Pezen (1604 posts) -

Out of curiosity, what's your father's take on all this? If I were still living at home and at your age and my mom was post-rehab drinking I would probably call up my dad and tell him shit is messed up, assuming I lived with her and not him already. Either way, I wouldn't keep it a secret because it's a dumb thing to keep secret, as people will eventually notice your emotional well being not being what it should. And no one deserves to carry other people's baggage.

#35 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

@I_smell said:

@DougQuaid said:

I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but dude.. this a video game website.

You might find a few people here who genuinely want to help and will give advice, but a large majority of people will just want to be dicks for the hell of it, no matter what the situation. Find someone you can confide with in real life. Someone you know and can trust.

No, even worse than that, these fuckin boneheads will try to give him advice as if it's real advice. Half the people who use videogame forums are complete social inepts, or frequently even younger than this guy. We're not wise, we're not smart, we don't have all the facts and don't know who you're talking about at all.

The only responsible thing I can say here is to ask a real life person. Cos this is real life person shit.

1000% this.

#36 Posted by benson (318 posts) -

@Rudyftw said:

I know what you're going through. I went through something similar with my parents. If I were you, i'd just cut the dead weight and move out when your 18. If your mom is anything like my mom, you're better off on your own... Seriously kid... Addicts only care about one thing and as long as your mom is drinking that one thing isn't you. All she will do is hold you back and ruin your life. I know I sound harsh, but it's the truth...

No it isn't the truth. I don't know how it went with your parents and some people are truly beyond repair, but you don't know anything about this dude and his mom and it's presomptuous to assume they're in the same situation. It's also pretty terrible to say that his mom doesn't care about him; addicts have feelings too.

#37 Posted by biospank (657 posts) -

what would Don Draper do? you should ask youself that.