I need some unbiased opinions on an article I wrote. US Football

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Commando

I wrote my first article for a sports website called "BleacherReport". Apparently the guys in charge liked it enough to make it a featured article.

Any college football fan knows that Auburn, USC, and Miami all claim to be Running Back U. That is, they all claim to have the best running program.
Obviously I'm an Auburn fan, but the statistics, players, and NFL drafts are 100% real and unmodified. I came up with Auburn as the undisputed Running Back U.
I came up with the points system before I put them together and found the outcome.

Does it look biased to you? I tried not to be biased, but it's hard to know if I did a good job or not because of it.

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By lemon360

it doesn't LOOK biased. it may be. to know if it is i would have to read the whole thing and give a damn about american football.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_

Just a quick note for the future, I think you use too many commas. Haven't finished the article yet- will edit when I do.

Edit: Doesn't seem biased at all to me. Your scoring methods are transparent and you gave detailed explanations for every point category. Someone might say that you specifically chose those categories and point distribution methods because you knew beforehand that Auburn would come out on top, but that would be stupid and honestly you don't seem like someone who would do that.
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Commando
@Jayge said:
" Just a quick note for the future, I think you use too many commas. Haven't finished the article yet- will edit when I do.

Edit: Doesn't seem biased at all to me. Your scoring methods are transparent and you gave detailed explanations for every point category. Someone might say that you specifically chose those categories and point distribution methods because you knew beforehand that Auburn would come out on top, but that would be stupid and honestly you don't seem like someone who would do that.
"
Yeah I like commas. It's a bad habit that I've always had. 

Thanks for reading it. I like writing things like this so I want to make sure I cover every category as unbiased as possible. As you probably know, it's hard not to show a little bias.

The only thing I can think of that I missed, is Touchdowns Per Game. That wouldn't affect the results though. 
It's now the number 1 article on the Auburn page, and the number 2 article on the college football page! I've been getting messages from the more popular writers congratulating me.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Karmum

Well, the "best college running back program" is always going to be debatable, but it is still a pretty solid article. You presented all of your evidence and statistics in a clean, and good fashion to argue that the best college running back program is Auburn. It definitely isn't bias either, you just so happen to like a school that is statistically the best. When it comes to the commas, I used to do that often. To be fair, I still use a considerable amount of commas. Good article and congratulations on well...the congratulations by your other writers.

SilverShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By SilverShadow

This is a solid article with undisputed facts/statistics to back up your findings. I can't find anything in there that shows you are biased one way or the other. Honestly, your scoring system in certain parts shows more favor to USC and Miami because you add different scoring criteria to "allow" Miami and USC to somewhat catch up to Auburn. However, they fail because, undoubtedly, Auburn is the better Running Back U. I love the article and I whole heartedly agree with what you wrote even before I knew the exact statistics. Keep up the great work!

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By Atlas

Ugh, college football. Why only eat the starter when you can have the main course?

Go Colts.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude

I thought it was a good article and did not see any bias. I couldn't find it, but did you use any All-American running backs produced from each school since 2000?

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Snipzor

Even though I've not got a single clue of what's going on, it did look like a good article to me.

samman6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By samman6
@Commando:

everyone knows CU is the real running back U